Professor Thaum

[MOC] Magnetic North Frigate

Hi, this the topic dedicated to my last frigate. A 2 years job, with many restart.

These are the final shots, more a coming later on.

r0az.jpg

eogo.jpg

ae54.jpg

x7ho.jpg

h6of.jpg

I will post all the pics I took during the whole time of the building later on.

Enjoy !

rpyq.jpg

guns, mortar and caronnades.

fso0.jpg

Bottom holds

96x2.jpg

the number of prefabs

agtv.jpg

The Magnetic North size compared to a coming ship (expect some months though)

Wow!:pir-love: Great!:pir-wub: Really a very nice color combination, even the sails are the right color. You built a frigate of your own design. The sails are well made and very beautiful. The rigging is complex and precise. You even have your own personal pirate flag. A carronade is even positioned on the ship's deck.

I am particularly pleased that some photos can be seen in a higher resolution when I click on them.

Wow what a firendsy colour, nearly without brown colour, i like it! :pir-classic: is there some backstory, who is behind the magnetic north?

Do you took some inspiration from MocYourBricks " Grenouille"? The hull looks similar.

31 minutes ago, Stoertebricker said:

Do you took some inspiration from MocYourBricks " Grenouille"? The hull looks similar.

Indeed, I was very interested by that ship, but I'm afraid this is not my main inspiration. I started from some old pics describing a ship tumblehome - I can't remember who send me those pics ( many years ago )  but with @Maxim I, @Sebeus I or @kurigan I'm probably very close to the origin ( and those pics certainly inspired the Grenouille ).

There are many, many, many tips I borrowed in this ship, from many builders ( too many to remember who ) but there are still many ideas from my own.

To be honest, I have a bigger ship WIP with that kind of hull, and it was started 5 or 6 years ago (so before the Grenouille was posted/created - But sure the Grenouille is a wonderful ship ! No doubt !)

39 minutes ago, Professor Thaum said:

Indeed, I was very interested by that ship, but I'm afraid this is not my main inspiration. I started from some old pics describing a ship tumblehome - I can't remember who send me those pics ( many years ago )  but with @Maxim I, @Sebeus I or @kurigan I'm probably very close to the origin ( and those pics certainly inspired the Grenouille ).

There are many, many, many tips I borrowed in this ship, from many builders ( too many to remember who ) but there are still many ideas from my own.

To be honest, I have a bigger ship WIP with that kind of hull, and it was started 5 or 6 years ago (so before the Grenouille was posted/created - But sure the Grenouille is a wonderful ship ! No doubt !)

My comment was no criticism, I was just interested in, because I have a white hulll waiting for some building on top of my shelf, too. :pir_laugh2:

3 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

Hi, this the topic dedicated to my last frigate. A 2 years job, with many restart.

It was well worth the wait! :pir-stareyes:

This ship is a very unique colour scheme.

It's the perfect experiment for a short-form Blog Post.

7 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

The colour scheme is my wife's idea/fault...

But what of the sails? What techniques did you use to make those?

@Mister Phes : for the sails I used those templates (from the frigate Hermione)

53v3.jpg

I have templates for each sails of the Hermione. Just have to put it on the scale.

The sails are made of white cardstock sheets of paper, 24 x 32 cm sized (I don't know if this match any anglo saxon format).

The lining hemed part is a double layer of paper (one very narrow and carefully cut and pasted on the sail) which is colored in blue with a felt-tip pen.

The sail seams are made with lead pencil and a ruler, so are rows of reefs (but much more thick).

The compass rose was printed on the paper by... a PC printer.

And the holes at the corners are made with a single puncher.

1 minute ago, Professor Thaum said:

@Mister Phes : for the sails I used those templates (from the frigate Hermione)

Thank you for the additional information!

Do you happen to post these images to Instagram or Flickr?

3 minutes ago, Professor Thaum said:

No, you are free to use whatever pics you want to post if you're willing so. I don't use Instagram, Flickr or Facebook.

The Blog Post is almost ready.  You can preview it here but you may need a Classic-Pirates.com account to view the draft version.

On 10/1/2021 at 2:37 PM, Professor Thaum said:

The colour scheme is my wife's idea/fault...

I received a bunch of "turquoise" lego brick's for our "turquoise wedding" so I had to use them

Well, you certainly made some interesting lemonade out of those lemons!

I'm confused by this one.

I'm pretty sure my only criticism is the lack of a tapered hull, but I can't quite tell because you've gone with such a non-traditional color scheme.  A scheme which I love because it looks great and is rather unique, but I hate because it looks so different form everybody else's work that I have a hard time comparing it to them :-D 

Your captain's cabin is terrific.  I LOVE the map rack that you made.  That is absolutely brilliant.  The sails look terrific as well.  The figurehead is a bit more prominent than I would go with myself, but the concept is great and the execution isn't terrible.  Also, I don't have any suggestions for making it better, and I prefer to only offer criticism or critiques if I can also suggest how to improve it in my estimation.

I'm curious how many mid-sections there are in the hull.  I think I see 7, but I'm not confident of that.  Also, is the foremost gunport a dummy?

Overall, I have to say "well done"!  I'm looking forward to the next one.

There are no dummy gunport... the foremost is just the most painful to open.

As already displayed, there are 6 midparts :

image.png.a348e6468d68447a5f04bc6c6060581f.png

4 hours ago, Cousarmy0001 said:

because you've gone with such a non-traditional color scheme.  A scheme which I love because it looks great and is rather unique, but I hate because it looks so different form everybody else's work that I have a hard time comparing it to them :-D 

Your captain's cabin is terrific.  I LOVE the map rack that you made.  That is absolutely brilliant.  The sails look terrific as well. 

I would have been scolded by my wife if I didn't use those medium blue bricks... so it was almost mandatory :tongue:

Thanks for the cabin

On 10/2/2021 at 3:23 AM, Professor Thaum said:

Hi, this the topic dedicated to my last frigate.

Professor, do you post MOC photos to any social media profiles like Instagram, Flickr, etc?