Sign in to follow this  
Professor Thaum

[SR - FB - Oct 21] The frigate Magnetic North

North shore of Tortuga, nowadays.

This is the Magnetic North, without the low sails, sailing close on a northwester wind to round the reefs of shipwreck bay...

The jib just bursted out requiring a sailor on the bowsprit to cut the sheets.

r0az.jpg

eogo.jpg

ae54.jpg

x7ho.jpg

h6of.jpg

Capt Bluebeard : Hurry up ! You, jailbirds ! Man the working ropes ! Trim on ! Freshwater swabs !

u6mt.jpg

Callaghan : Apparently, he's got a real temper !

Dr Thaum : Sure Callaghan, I need this strong temper at the head of the Magnetic North. Especially for that kind of destination.

n9zc.jpg

Iauln : We are sailing north, mister Church, and we are sailing 8 knots close hauled ! I love this ship !

Church : Yes, my little man, nice start of the trip.

Two years of building, the most of time was wasted on those bloody shrouds ( to the devil with them !!! )

This the less bad render I come up with (for the shrouds).

For the ship, I'm quite pleased, and a even little bit proud of the result.

Thanks to my friend Charly for the pics (he's a professionnal photographer )

C&C welcome as usual, and there will be a more complete thread on the Pirate MOCs Forum.

Wow!:pir-love: Great!:pir-wub: Really a very nice color combination, even the sails are the right color. You built a frigate of your own design. The sails are well made and very beautiful. The rigging is complex and precise. You even have your own personal pirate flag. A carronade is even positioned on the ship's deck.

I am particularly pleased that some photos can be seen in a higher resolution when I click on them.

in fact there are 6 carronades on the lower deck and 12 standard guns.

On the main deck this is a Paixhans gun ( the most powerful blackpowder gun - able to smash a tower or to crush a ship wall with a single blow )

She will be licenced as a class 7 frigate.

Oh my... What a lovely ship, amazing work Thaum! You can be more than a little bit proud of yourself! Very nice jobs on those riggings, sails and colours. It is very light and unusual but it works with the shape and size of the ship. Very professional stern.

And the best touch I have to say is that you choose those nice flags! I love the cartoonish style of the upper one. Very cool ship and I hope you will deliver more of these beauty's for the Sea Rat Armada :pir-thumb:

Really beautiful. Tremendous job well done. Great lines, bold color schemes works great. The transition from running down the sides to the rear cabin to the stern are top notch pro level lines. Great work!

1 hour ago, CapOnBOBS said:

The transition from running down the sides to the rear cabin to the stern are top notch pro level lines.

These are probably strongly inspired by the Grenouille frigate ( See on youtube) even if I don't use the same parts and the same technic.

Thanks for the kind words.

3 hours ago, Brickwolf said:

wonderful ship! :thumbup::thumbup:

Thank you mate !

1 hour ago, Fraunces said:

And the best touch I have to say is that you choose those nice flags! I love the cartoonish style of the upper one. Very cool ship and I hope you will deliver more of these beauty's for the Sea Rat Armada :pir-thumb:

Thank you comrade...

the cartoonish flag is the admiral pennant ( the one of the doctor Thaum ) the orher is the black flag of the Magnetic North itself

@Ross Fisher

@NOD

thank you guys :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Professor Thaum said:

These are probably strongly inspired by the Grenouille frigate ( See on youtube) even if I don't use the same parts and the same technic.

I see some similarities with Grenouille, but yours definitely takes it in an original direction! Great work

The bright blue here is super striking, love how you trimmed the sails with it too!  The compass in front is also really unique, it's a really cool ship!  Great work!

Where is this great ship coming from?

And those colours! And the custom flags - excellent!

And you have taken my approach for the rigging to the next level. Wow.

Yes, you can certainly be proud of this ship.

:pir-sweet:

4 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Where is this great ship coming from?

And those colours! And the custom flags - excellent!

And you have taken my approach for the rigging to the next level. Wow.

Yes, you can certainly be proud of this ship.

:pir-sweet:

Ship started 2 years ago, from a pic from @Maxim I , @Sebeus I  or @kurigan I don't remember.

The color comes from a bunch of medium blue bricks I received from my wife for the "turquoise wedding".

the rigging and those damned shrouds were a pain, restarted many times before coming up with  something acceptable.

I like my flags and there are more to come.

It is absolutely gorgeous Professor.  Great lines, great colour scheme, and great name/theming (great photography too to show it off properly). I was happily stunned when I saw your MOC. #perfectionmeme

Of course the unspoken rule of BoBS is that it will sink first time out because it hit a drunk sea turtle or something equally dumb; quality of the ship build is always inversely proportional the to luck it has in the MCRA.😜

This is frickin awesome! Great shape, I love the horseshoe cross section curve. As mentioned above, the color scheme is fantastic. I would prefer the lateen sail on the foremost mast but that's definitely creator choice. The white bottom front is some one piece?

Edited by omnihash_cz