Uniqueorn

Hogwarts Castle MOC, Harry Potter (Work in Progress)

It's nice to hear you again and see your new update :sweet:

Hogwarts is taking form and coming alive more and more with any new video!

As for the courtyard details, benches could be a really simple add, mainly in the outside part; and minifigures, obviosuly. In the OotP Game in courtyards you can play Gobstone (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (PS3, X360, PC, Wii) 100% Gobstones Championship! - YouTube), maybe you can add students in the corner of the garden playing it (I think Gobstone could simply be coloured Plate, Round 1x1).

Maybe for the inside part you can try to add some lights: wall torches built with telescope (64644) and plume (64647)? I fear there's no enough space to put some of the big stone braziers that there are next to the Great Hall door, but maybe you can build a minimal version that occupy only 2x2 studs and put it at the corners.

See you soon, have fun and take your time :wink:

On 2/15/2022 at 11:34 AM, BrickMatit said:

It's nice to hear you again and see your new update :sweet:

Hogwarts is taking form and coming alive more and more with any new video!

As for the courtyard details, benches could be a really simple add, mainly in the outside part; and minifigures, obviosuly. In the OotP Game in courtyards you can play Gobstone (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (PS3, X360, PC, Wii) 100% Gobstones Championship! - YouTube), maybe you can add students in the corner of the garden playing it (I think Gobstone could simply be coloured Plate, Round 1x1).

Maybe for the inside part you can try to add some lights: wall torches built with telescope (64644) and plume (64647)? I fear there's no enough space to put some of the big stone braziers that there are next to the Great Hall door, but maybe you can build a minimal version that occupy only 2x2 studs and put it at the corners.

See you soon, have fun and take your time :wink:

Thanks for the pointers @BrickMatit !

I will be sure to check the sets you've mentioned as references!

Very good!

The Grand Staircase is beginning to emerge from the ground :laugh:

It will be a long journey, but I can't wait to see where it will bring us!

Cheers

Thanks @BrickMatit !

Glad I have someone like you to cheer my building process! Would really appreciate if you can give me some love on Youtube sometimes!

It's a long time since your first video.

I think you achieved a very good result!

I like how you made the arches in the littler towers with those half arch LEGO pieces. And I find that the empty spaces created by the angular bricks into the towers managed to make an interesting wall pattern.

Well done!

:wink:

Those towers look lovely! Looking forward to seeing rest of the bits come along too. Good job! :pir-thumb:

Thank you for the encouraging words, guys!

Does anyone know how I can delete the pictures in the first post of this thread? I wanted to update them with some recent ones after I upload them somewhere, but every time I click to delete them they still keep appearing in the thread. =/

Finally some life in the castle (besides Jafar hidden in the basement :snicker:).

The courtyard scene with Trelawney is a good choice (I don't really remember other main interesting scenes taking place in this location :laugh:). Maybe with some other minifigures would be better.

Funny the different characters in the cloister. I don't think it's too crowded.

For the Entrance Hall I would suggest you the "Soporific Cakes" scene from Chamber of Secrets, with Harry and Ron hidden behind the architect's stuatue and Crabbe and Goyle. In the Great Hall I think that a good scene would be the Harry Sorting Ceremony.

Thank you all for the kind words. I have added some more recent photos to the beginning of the thread. Sadly I cannot seem to delete the other 3 old ones from my storage. If anyone could help with that, it would be great!

I’ve been following this moc closely since March when I luckily just so happened to discover your channel while scrolling through YouTube for inspiration on my own Hogwarts I’ve been planning. Finally made an account here just to post this. Think I tried to send you some feedback on Instagram messages not sure if you check that. Either way, keep it up and I’m especially very excited to see your take on the Grand Staircase Tower when you get to that!

11 hours ago, j606lrr said:

I’ve been following this moc closely since March when I luckily just so happened to discover your channel while scrolling through YouTube for inspiration on my own Hogwarts I’ve been planning. Finally made an account here just to post this. Think I tried to send you some feedback on Instagram messages not sure if you check that. Either way, keep it up and I’m especially very excited to see your take on the Grand Staircase Tower when you get to that!

Hey @j606lrr , really glad you found the videos fun and useful. I tend to look at my You Tube and forum-related comments, as Instagram seems to be very selective towards what it shows me and what not. If for not for this post I would have noticed your message months from now most probably.

Grand staircase is going to be a huge project that I already find quite intimidating, but we will get there! Very happy to know that my videos were able to find more people that share similar passion to mine.

@Uniqueorn

Just finished the latest update. Loving the new look of the area underneath the Great Hall and I agree the new mechanism for the Hufflepuff entrance is far superior to the old design. You mentioned replacing the gear with something else and at first I thought maybe if you could find a way to bring the gear a couple bricks up from the floor, then you could make it into a painting that you spin around to reveal the entrance. My other idea that I like a lot more is if you could incorporate Nearly Headless Nick or some other ghost minifigure, and to have them attached to the mechanism sticking outside of the wall somehow so you could spin them around and it would almost look like they are flying while also revealing the entrance. I hope that makes sense and you can picture what I'm saying, apologies if it doesn't. The obvious choice for which ghost would probably be The Fat Friar because he is the Hufflepuff house ghost. Of course the issue is LEGO has not made an official figure for him yet, but I have seen several customs that look good.

Apologies if I am not remembering correctly and if you mentioned it in a previous update... but you said you're going to rebuild the Great Hall once again to make the windows larger? I think that's a great idea and will definitely make the Great Hall appear more "great" with the wider windows, especially from the inside I think that will look very good. 

Looking forward to the next update! 

Edited by j606lrr

On 5/23/2022 at 6:49 PM, j606lrr said:

@Uniqueorn

Just finished the latest update. Loving the new look of the area underneath the Great Hall and I agree the new mechanism for the Hufflepuff entrance is far superior to the old design. You mentioned replacing the gear with something else and at first I thought maybe if you could find a way to bring the gear a couple bricks up from the floor, then you could make it into a painting that you spin around to reveal the entrance. My other idea that I like a lot more is if you could incorporate Nearly Headless Nick or some other ghost minifigure, and to have them attached to the mechanism sticking outside of the wall somehow so you could spin them around and it would almost look like they are flying while also revealing the entrance. I hope that makes sense and you can picture what I'm saying, apologies if it doesn't. The obvious choice for which ghost would probably be The Fat Friar because he is the Hufflepuff house ghost. Of course the issue is LEGO has not made an official figure for him yet, but I have seen several customs that look good.

Apologies if I am not remembering correctly and if you mentioned it in a previous update... but you said you're going to rebuild the Great Hall once again to make the windows larger? I think that's a great idea and will definitely make the Great Hall appear more "great" with the wider windows, especially from the inside I think that will look very good. 

Looking forward to the next update! 

Hello J, sorry for the delayed reply.

That is some great input, will see if it is viable to be applied. I myself try to focus a bit more on aesthetic than playability as my driving force is things to look nice rather than something once could spin around. Plus once it is all complete it would be difficult to access all these things, but I will see if that suggestion could be incorporated somehow! Thanks!