Paperinik77pk

[MOC] 1:22,5 Scale - G Gauge (45mm) - Toy Locomotive (Mark II) and new LGB-based "gondola" wagons

Hi all!  Here we go again with big Lego trains running on 45mm G Gauge track!

Some of you may remember the yellow Toy Train locomotive I prepared back in 2019 -it was one of my first experiments with G-Gauge trains. This little locomotive was based on a small Powered-Up battery box and a Medium motor.

Here it is during a night run on the new 45mm copper track with wooden sleepers I restored to be used on my small garden railway. 

A fast run by night

Here's a detail of the old chassis with the original 1,667:1 gear ratio. This solution proved to work fine on a flat track at home, but was completely useless on the garden line, which can be easily considered  a "mountain railway".

A 3:1 gear ratio worked better, but gears were too stressed and speed was ridicolous. Plus, with some wagons, the motor always needed to work at full speed.  

20190806_213343

Therefore, back to the lab, I completely revisited the heart of the locomotive, and updating some details on the exterior. 

Here it is, the Mark II (TADAAAAAAA) :laugh: !!!

Lego 1:22,5 scale, G Gauge (45mm) Toy Locomotive - MkII

And...what's new??? *huh* 

Actually, at body level, it did not change so much from the older one :hmpf_bad:. Handle bars, and headlights have been modified and a new exhaust scoop has been added over the hood (there's no more a red On/Off button).

The real new part is under the bodywork:

A completely new chassis has been introduced, and now features a new 4-ports PuP Hub and a more efficient Large Motor. Gear ratio is now 2.779:1.

It is very strong and smooth - the big battery/bluetooth hub helps traction (which can be increased with the use of rubber bands around the wheels), and the L-Motor is a great improvement over the M-Motor.

I've prepared some workflows on the PuP application to work at  25/50/75/100% of the power. 

The chassis can be detached from the body with four "fast unlock" pins, so changing the batteries is now an easy task.

Then, with a locomotive now up to the task of garden railroading, I needed some rolling stock.

I've some LGB wagon bases with studs on top (item number 94063) which are the perfect chassis for some wagons I've designed in Stud.io.

Both axles are steering, to help the wagon working on tighter curves.

Lego/LGB narrow gauge wagons in 1:22,5 scale

So here it is the small gondola , in a bright blue color:

And the tan/beige gondola with taller sides:

The LGB chassis runs smoothly and really helps the whole train to roll better. Sometimes these things are available (used or new) with an acceptable price, so I get them.

A final photo of the consist (fat least for the moment)!

Next to come, a passenger and a closed freight wagon with sliding doors (let's see who comes first).

I'll try it on the garden railway soon and give some feedbacks (for now only some pretty satisfactory tests were conducted on homemade ramps) :laugh:

I hope you like it!!!:laugh:

Ciao!

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk
mhhh, it seems I'm no more able to properly type on the keyboard :) :) :)

Wow! Great little shunter working on your G scale layout. The switch to PUp and a L motor seems to have resolved many issues. Your quick change battery solution is slick. Far better than having to remove the top of a train to get inside. Even the Marklin cars fit with the size and build.

Hi Davide,

A lovely little train! I already saw the locomotive on Flickr, but the waggons are equally good!
Too sad those LGB bases aren't also available in a longer version with 2-axle bogies.

Thaks for sharing!
Sven

4 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

Wow! Great little shunter working on your G scale layout. The switch to PUp and a L motor seems to have resolved many issues. Your quick change battery solution is slick. Far better than having to remove the top of a train to get inside. Even the Marklin cars fit with the size and build.

Thanks a lot! Yes the new motor is on another planet if compared to the M Motor, which is anyway quite powerful (I did not expect that!!!). And for battery change you are perfectly right - I had to dismantle the hood each time! It was not practical at all :sick: :laugh:

4 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

That looks really good! Lego on G is always neat to see.

Thanks, sir!!! Your feedback is always appreciated! :laugh:

10 minutes ago, Tenderlok said:

Hi Davide,

A lovely little train! I already saw the locomotive on Flickr, but the waggons are equally good!
Too sad those LGB bases aren't also available in a longer version with 2-axle bogies.

Thaks for sharing!
Sven

Ciao Sven!

Thanks again!!! The lack of those 4-axle chassis is something I really miss too, but maybe I found something similar that can serve to this scope: 

Let's see if it works!

Better if you look at the wagons inside Flickr, so you get the full size - these black bases are from Newqida (or some other producer from China) and I bought them in England. These can fit easily a 48 studs-long  platform made by Lego plates. With some parts (Technic, normal Lego - whatever you find appropriate) you can lock the platform on the chassis. The only "drawback" is that there's no buffer like the LGB wagons so it/they must be built. The good thing is that these chassis can be used both for 1:32 (Scale 1) and 1:22,5 (G Scale) wagons. If you need the link , I can give it to you without problems. :laugh:

Ciao!

Davide

These wagon bases look really interesting! :thumbup:
For my narrow gauge models, I use LGB link-and-pin couplers anyway, which at the same time serve as a central buffer. Therefore the lack of separate buffers wouldn't matter. :wink:
So yes, the link would be great!

looks awesome! kinda reminds me of those lgb starter sets with a (i think) blue diesel loco and wagons just like these ones.

11 hours ago, XG BC said:

looks awesome! kinda reminds me of those lgb starter sets with a (i think) blue diesel loco and wagons just like these ones.

LGB starter set 90450 with blue diesel locomotive

You are perfectly right!!! :thumbup:

In fact this LGB starter set (90450) :wub: was the inspiration of the yellow Toy locomotive. The blue locomotive seems a rework of the Playmobil locomotive 4025/4050, developed together with LGB. For the yellow locomotive the side ladders, open cabin and big black handrails were simply translated in Lego parts :head_back:.

In the first picture of this thread you can see that the handrails were similar to the LGB model, then I modified them many times during these years.:sweet:

On 10/2/2021 at 9:43 AM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Beautiful photos Davide (I like the night photo shoot of the first picture)! :wub:

Interesting adaptation of the wagon frame to develop the lego wagons! 

Keep it up! :thumbup:

Thanks Emanuele!  :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

As soon as I go back to the house, I will make another photo with the full consist! I hope to take also a photo with some snow this year! :wub:

On 10/2/2021 at 9:49 AM, Asper said:

Wonderful "little" train. Great!

Thanks Asper!!! :laugh:

That's a pretty cool train engine you have there. The only thing i would have done different would to replace some of the studs with tiles. This is just my preference because I know some people like to keep that LEGO look.:classic:

12 hours ago, AlexxInc said:

That's a pretty cool train engine you have there. The only thing i would have done different would to replace some of the studs with tiles. This is just my preference because I know some people like to keep that LEGO look.:classic:

Thank you, and I'd say - good point. The locomotive is indeed full of studs, and I confirm it was a desired thing, since I tried to keep it as cheap as possible :classic:.

With the wagons I tried to wanted to reduce visible studs (or use them as details or in specific places - sooner or later I will face finally  the need for some Maxi-minifig  to animate a bit the scene - and it's better to connect them in a solid way).

These wagons are more refined than the locomotive and in the future could be pulled by some more aestethically sophisticated machine (probably a small, steamy coffee pot) :laugh:

Ciao!

Davide