Kim-Kwang-Seok

price increase in Europe

As some maybe know, TLG will adjust the prices in some european countries. Mostly that will mean price increases from 5-20€ in Germany and some other countries.

I didn't find any topic which I found weird, as this has been discussed on other related social media.

What do you guys and gals think of this? I find the thought itself (even prices among Europe) and some reasons for the move make a lot of sense. And I never judge a profit oriented company for acting in their best interest, also since I don't know the internal structure myself.

But as a consumer and someone who tries to analize the market, I feel like this is a very insensitive move; at least the way it is executed. Not just that you could literally purchase an existing set cheaper this year, which might make them a hard sell afterwards. In Germany there is already a lot of pretty decent alternatives to Lego and a lot of valid and - in my opinion - very trollish criticism of TLG.

If it means the end of weird €5-€20 differences it's likely an improvement for the already expensive countries.

To be fair, the price on 31120 Castle going to €120 isn't even that bad if it means it will be sold outside of LEGO.com and likely gets discount to offset it (Pirate Ship has been seen at €65 at times and that's a €100 set), right now the set 31120 being pretty much exclusive means it's pretty much full price regardless, however if nothing changes in terms of distribution, then yes, it's a straight up 20% price bump that makes no sense. (again, 31120 exclusivity seems to vary a lot per country, and while some retailers are selling it outside of LEGO.com, it almost feels they aren't allowed to lower the price much currently)

1 glance at the prices page on Brickset will show weird differences across the board, that aren't consistent at all , and its not just the same countries every time.

Overall, I think time is needed to see how it will even out in terms of decrease/increase, but it certainly will vary per country.

Why is 80020: White Dragon Horse Jet €45 in Netherlands , Belgium (+5€ ), but not France

Why is 80022: Spider Queen's Arachnoid Base + €10 in Netherlands, Belgium , but this time does include France.

Why is 21325: Medieval Blacksmith €150 in Germany, Austria , Italy , but €160 in France, Spain , and €170 in Belgium, Netherlands ? 

Inconsistency all over the place, but mainly Netherlands/Belgium the most affected by higher prices (just using what's listed at Brickset, it doesn't list everything, but I heard Finland, which do use Euro is often affected by even higher prices)

LEGO does say Western Europe, so I imagine it will mostly mean Netherlands/France/Belgium/Germany will be standardized equal Euro prices, not sure how it will affect central or Southern Europe which still do use Euro , but median income isn't the same across the entire Eurozone.

Back in 2018, this set was one of the most extreme : 75203: Hoth Medical Chamber

$30 in US , 35 in UK , but €40 , €45 or even €50 in Euro countries , that's not just a few percent difference but almost double.

I won't get into more US vs Europe, as I know the typical $30 US vs €20 is the case for many City sets, or €30 vs $20 US is typically happening quite a lot on Licensed themes, but just pointing it out the price differences aren't 1 way so not a simple math of VAT being added in the Euro price, while usually added after in US and varies per state I believe.

Overall, gotta see where 2022 pricing will end up, and what sets will actually go DOWN in price.

Edited by TeriXeri

Let's see. This year we got some SW sets that were "cheaper" and or better deals overall, than we are used to. Again, I am not judging TLG as a company but I think that the divergence between different brands (alternative Lego or alternative "action toys" in general) and Lego is just so crazy big. Meaning: you get 2 working RC cars for 20 bucks or one tiny, small thingy without too many features from Lego.

Especially because of the rise of alternative brands in Germany and areas and the negative campagns - I fear a snowball effect at some point against Lego.

I don't think it matters too much unless you are German and buy most of your LEGO direct from LEGO. Supermarkets and toy stores will discount their LEGO ranges to sell it. If LEGO put their RRPs up to match France, NL, etc and stuff doesn't sell, it will be discounted according to the local market. It may take a little while to stabilise but the prices will be reduced if not enough people buy.

A price hike is inevitable. And it will be worldwide. The problem is there are a lot of inflationary forces right now. From costs of petroleum, to rapidly rising costs of renting commercial space. It will hit Lego, as a perceived luxury product hard. 

Add to this Lego will need to be amortizing some incredibly boneheaded expensive decisions. The Vidyo line being a stunning example of unrestrained development pissing money away that will likely never be recovered. From moronic single purpose limited reuse tooling for those bloodt beat boxes, to acres upon acres of new custom tile prints. Minifig parts and heads, and the crown jewel that abominable Augmented Reality wannabe TikTok App. Read up on the list of reasons Lego nearly went bankrupt in 2003. Then look at Vidyo. It's like someone looked at those problems and viewed them as a todo list for market success. 

1 hour ago, Faefrost said:

A price hike is inevitable. And it will be worldwide. The problem is there are a lot of inflationary forces right now. From costs of petroleum, to rapidly rising costs of renting commercial space. It will hit Lego, as a perceived luxury product hard. 

Add to this Lego will need to be amortizing some incredibly boneheaded expensive decisions. The Vidyo line being a stunning example of unrestrained development pissing money away that will likely never be recovered. From moronic single purpose limited reuse tooling for those bloodt beat boxes, to acres upon acres of new custom tile prints. Minifig parts and heads, and the crown jewel that abominable Augmented Reality wannabe TikTok App. Read up on the list of reasons Lego nearly went bankrupt in 2003. Then look at Vidyo. It's like someone looked at those problems and viewed them as a todo list for market success. 

I know Vidiyo hasn't exactly set sales records, but is it really that bad? The minifigures seem to be generally desirable - I know I've bought sets entirely for the figures, and from what I read they're all quite popular. Plus, Lego's minifigure parts in the early 2000s were a fraction of what they are now - a grand total of eight hair moulds beyond the three standards of the time, all designed specifically for Licensed characters. In comparison Lego have been doing 20+ NEW moulds a year for the last decade all while growing.

On top of that, there aren't many large pieces being made for a single set only, and we aren't even getting moulded baseplates (:thumbdown:). Lego survived making the die for Lego Games, they'll survive making the Beatboxes.

At the end of the day, any increased costs of doing business will eventually be passed on to you.   It's the Lord Business way.  :pir-classic:

2 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

I know Vidiyo hasn't exactly set sales records, but is it really that bad? The minifigures seem to be generally desirable - I know I've bought sets entirely for the figures, and from what I read they're all quite popular. Plus, Lego's minifigure parts in the early 2000s were a fraction of what they are now - a grand total of eight hair moulds beyond the three standards of the time, all designed specifically for Licensed characters. In comparison Lego have been doing 20+ NEW moulds a year for the last decade all while growing.

On top of that, there aren't many large pieces being made for a single set only, and we aren't even getting moulded baseplates (:thumbdown:). Lego survived making the die for Lego Games, they'll survive making the Beatboxes.

Vidyo appears to be a bit of a disaster. The sets and figs are nice, but the core "Beat Box's" are grossly overpriced so as to be completely unviable. They are finally starting to move at 25-30% discount or greater. The problem is even at their $20 usd msrp I suspect Lego is losing money. 

Just going through the Beat Box sets this is what I noticed.

- a plethora of new parts that have no system use. We have the clear box. The figure stage and it's 2 wings. The rear tile storage box, the pointless rubber strap and the two white strap connector pieces. There is also the lid to the tile box and the 3x3 domes which at least can be used in normal sets. 

- a plethora of unique figure head sculpts and parts. This is viable in CMF's because of the insane margin on CMF's and the insane return on shelf space. (Profit per cubic foot is better than the $500 sets). But the Vidyo sets are already overpriced and surely low margin. 

- insane amounts of unique indivually printed tiles. Not the worst offense, but still an example of design cost over runs

- the App. I'm going to assume based on what you like the sets for. You like most afols haven't messed with the app. It radiates "case study in bad development and pissing money away." It's a seizure inducing digital train wreck. That works really poorly. 

- the music. Above and beyond the visible costs there is a productionand licensing cost per song. Most games only produce a few minutes of music. But this is a music game. With lots of music. 

Professor Dave Robertson used to give a great lecture on why Lego nearly went under in the early 2000's due to uncontrolled bad innovation, and how they recovered via careful focus. Vidyo appears to hit almost every box on his bad checklist. It reminds me of those Micromotor Fiber Optic Light sets that Lego was selling for half of what they cost to make, because nobody realized it. 

Hopefully Vidyo is just a one off bad idea. City seems to be booming. While many AFOL purists hate the idea of named characters in City it does seem to have kid appeal. And the new Stuntz sets actually look to add a simple and fun competitive play feature to City. Kind of like the original Ninjago spinners. So long as the flywheel motors are sturdy. I think Lego will have a great Q3 and 4. 

11 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

I know Vidiyo hasn't exactly set sales records, but is it really that bad?

The problem isn't that it's "bad", but that LEGO have been trying to scam the customer and got caught, causing customers to snub at it. That and of course the terrible packaging and marketing (or lack thereof) preventing a larger proliferation simply because people didn't understand what it was about. See here: https://myleniumsbrickcorner.wordpress.com/2021/06/15/audio-vidiyo-disco-a-closer-look-at-lego-vidiyo/

Mylenium

11 hours ago, Faefrost said:

a plethora of new parts that have no system use. We have the clear box. The figure stage and it's 2 wings. The rear tile storage box, the pointless rubber strap and the two white strap connector pieces. There is also the lid to the tile box and the 3x3 domes which at least can be used in normal sets. 

To me, this is overblown. There's nothing in, for instance, the Candy Castle Stage that can't be used for other purposes. The only parts that genuinely don't look as though they have a System use are the strap and possibly the clear part of the Beatboxes (I haven't got any of them, and it's not immediately apparent from an image of the part how they connect). Every other new part has other possible uses - and it's not like Lego haven't made single-use parts before. What can you use the Lego Games dice for, apart from as dice? Maybe a SNOT centre to a very niche sort of MOC but precious little else.

Plus, Belville did perfectly fine for years with parts that have about as much incommon with the System selection as the strap.

To me, the vidiyo containers are a bit like the pods they did a couple of years ago. Of little use for MOCs but kids still like them to carry around a few parts and a minifigure.

29632c14pb01.png

16 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

I hope that vidyo is just TLG's "art" departement, from which they usually bring out movie sets. They are always weird, have lots of colours, new molds and prints but yeah - super weird, questionable in terms of how much people will be interested in random Batman villains, or random figs like from the other Lego movies.

Can be that this departement is able to throw around with money. Can also be that it's a 2000 situation and the named movies as well as vidyo are breaking the company. Who knows of us? All I can say: like the movies, vidyo has great stuff but as it lacks any licence to pull from existing interest, doesn't work as an app properly nor would it compete with any good apps or video games in general - and of course it's crazy expensive.

About the overall topic: something noone here has argued against so far is, that there are pretty good Lego alternatives in middle Europe. And they are on the rise; soon they will bring out the first proper Star Trek sets. I don't support those brands at all but I have to admit: quality is the same and better, sets are more colour consistant, animal builds, modulars are better designs, pretty interesting nature and art sets (before Lego did them btw), very good PR and social media communication.

...most importantly you get a 2000 parts set for like 70€ and a 15.000 parts set for like 300€. In equal to better quality. If those brands are able to expand, Lego is in trouble in some of their biggest markets. Again, I don't support them for ethical reasons but I have many friends who switched from Lego to those brands.

1 hour ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

About the overall topic: something noone here has argued against so far is, that there are pretty good Lego alternatives in middle Europe. And they are on the rise; soon they will bring out the first proper Star Trek sets. I don't support those brands at all but I have to admit: quality is the same and better, sets are more colour consistant, animal builds, modulars are better designs, pretty interesting nature and art sets (before Lego did them btw), very good PR and social media communication.

Why would anyone argue against it? There are alternatives and no doubt most people know about them. I only have a small number of non-LEGO products that are a similar toy (MEGA, K'nex, Cobi, Character Building, unbranded blocks, and some fake figures and my kids have Playmobil too). Some are as good as LEGO, some are trash, some are inbetween. All were cheaper than what the equivalent LEGO set would be. I don't think colour consistency is any worse for LEGO over what it is for Mega or Cobi. Whether I'd buy more is down to the license really. If I was into Star Trek, I'd buy the Star Trek sets of a rival company to LEGO.

4 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

To me, this is overblown. There's nothing in, for instance, the Candy Castle Stage that can't be used for other purposes. The only parts that genuinely don't look as though they have a System use are the strap and possibly the clear part of the Beatboxes (I haven't got any of them, and it's not immediately apparent from an image of the part how they connect). Every other new part has other possible uses - and it's not like Lego haven't made single-use parts before. What can you use the Lego Games dice for, apart from as dice? Maybe a SNOT centre to a very niche sort of MOC but precious little else.

Plus, Belville did perfectly fine for years with parts that have about as much incommon with the System selection as the strap.

3 hours ago, MAB said:

To me, the vidiyo containers are a bit like the pods they did a couple of years ago. Of little use for MOCs but kids still like them to carry around a few parts and a minifigure.

29632c14pb01.png

The stage sets aren’t bad. But they aren’t the centerpiece of the line. The beat box’s were. Those needed to be at an impulse buy price point. The problem with Vidyo isn’t simply new unique parts. It’s an overabundance of them being delivered in sets that are wildly outside the consumer value calculation. The boxes needed to hit the $9.99 price point to survive. $12.99 worst case. Vidyo has too much, too many attempted expensive innovations going on to have a reasonable chance to hit profit margins. The sets are nice. They will be top sellers at a 30% discount. Don’t just look at the individual spends on the line. Look at the overall spends. New tooling, higher production cost printings, technology and app development, and failure to release at an appropriate price point, and a rather ill defined target audience or age range. It was Lego attempting to step outside their norms and appeal to the TikTok Roblox kids. Not a bad plan, but a badly flawed execution. (With some nice if weird minifigs and enough printed tiles that every AFOL is planning a Modular Record Store) 

those round and square pods, while single use parts, at least are amortized across several lines and are priced into/used for high margin impulse buy sets. I do wish they had a few useable connection points.

I know I seem to be harping on Vidyo. It’s not that Vidyo is a bad or failed product line. It’s that the rather clearly visible nature of the failure points in Vidyo are something we have not seen from Lego management for the past 20 years. Something that they had had checks and balances to try and avoid doing ever again. That’s a bit worrying. 

3 hours ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

About the overall topic: something noone here has argued against so far is, that there are pretty good Lego alternatives in middle Europe

I'll preface the following comment by stressing that I have never bought off-brand Lego new - all I've come in contact with has been second-hand stuff as part of bulk lots, or when I was younger the contents of friends' collections. Therefore, anything in the last few years won't have hit me yet (I've never seen anything from TLG newer than 2018 in a bulk lot, so I can only assume off-brand stuff follows the same age pattern).

That being said, for me the quality is a long way from being equal. None of the off-brands I've ever handled come close to matching Lego, and usually you can see them a mile off. Funnily enough, the best alternative I've ever seen is Tente - a product line that's older than the golden age of Lego, has been discontinued for decades, and uses a similar but distinct connection system. Unless they've come on leaps and bounds in the last three years, I can't see the off-brands holding a candle to Lego any time soon.

2 hours ago, Faefrost said:

The stage sets aren’t bad. But they aren’t the centerpiece of the line. The beat box’s were. Those needed to be at an impulse buy price point. The problem with Vidyo isn’t simply new unique parts. It’s an overabundance of them being delivered in sets that are wildly outside the consumer value calculation. The boxes needed to hit the $9.99 price point to survive. $12.99 worst case. Vidyo has too much, too many attempted expensive innovations going on to have a reasonable chance to hit profit margins.

I found the beat boxes a bit unnecessary given the bandmates.  The bandmates take the impulse buy slot, so I understand the price point for the next sets up. But you don't get the value in those sets at that price point.

10 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

I'll preface the following comment by stressing that I have never bought off-brand Lego new - all I've come in contact with has been second-hand stuff as part of bulk lots, or when I was younger the contents of friends' collections. Therefore, anything in the last few years won't have hit me yet (I've never seen anything from TLG newer than 2018 in a bulk lot, so I can only assume off-brand stuff follows the same age pattern).

That being said, for me the quality is a long way from being equal. None of the off-brands I've ever handled come close to matching Lego, and usually you can see them a mile off. Funnily enough, the best alternative I've ever seen is Tente - a product line that's older than the golden age of Lego, has been discontinued for decades, and uses a similar but distinct connection system. Unless they've come on leaps and bounds in the last three years, I can't see the off-brands holding a candle to Lego any time soon.

Like some others I've dabbled a bit in the name brand non Lego brick lines. Mainly a few Kre-O D&D and GI Joe offerings and the Mega Call of Duty, World of Warcraft and recently Masters of the Universe stuff. Stuff that doesn't intersect Lego's niche. Is the quality the same as Lego? No, but the gap has been growing narrower every year. So much so that even the dreaded and cursed Mega is putting out tolerable bricks. (if they ever get their set packing QC worked out they might actually be a threat). But more alarmingly for Lego I notice that my Amazon recommendations have become littered with upper tier Chinese Knock Off Lego sets. In particular Chinese sets produced of AFOL's modular MOC's. Particularly Modular Building offerings from a company called NiFeliz. We around here know not to touch these. But what does it do to Lego's sales when a Amazon Search for "Lego Modular Buildings" mostly returns these products instead of Lego's own? A lot of the Chinese Bootleg companies seem to be changing their approach. Rather than simply bootleging the existing lego sets they are reverse engineering (or in some cases contacting the AFOL designer and legit purchasing the designs) of a lot of well known MOC's and using SEO to get themselves noticed. 

On 9/30/2021 at 4:35 PM, MAB said:

Why would anyone argue against it? There are alternatives and no doubt most people know about them. I only have a small number of non-LEGO products that are a similar toy (MEGA, K'nex, Cobi, Character Building, unbranded blocks, and some fake figures and my kids have Playmobil too). Some are as good as LEGO, some are trash, some are inbetween. All were cheaper than what the equivalent LEGO set would be. I don't think colour consistency is any worse for LEGO over what it is for Mega or Cobi. Whether I'd buy more is down to the license really. If I was into Star Trek, I'd buy the Star Trek sets of a rival company to LEGO.

I just think this could play a role in the potential demise of TLG. Not saying it's like that; again maybe vidyo was just part of a "throw away budget". But can also be that they did lose a lot of money and maybe it is an early 2000's situation. I don't know - let's see. But the existance of proper alternatives, now even having decent infrastructure and communication within Europe doesn't make it easier for Lego.

On 10/1/2021 at 5:20 AM, Faefrost said:

. But more alarmingly for Lego I notice that my Amazon recommendations have become littered with upper tier Chinese Knock Off Lego sets. In particular Chinese sets produced of AFOL's modular MOC's. Particularly Modular Building offerings from a company called NiFeliz. 

Same thing happening on European Amazon, suggestions with alternate brands, it seems almost all of them are sold/sent from alternative sellers instead of Amazon themselves however.

I never bought a Star Wars set but it started to suggest all sorts or large scale "Star Wars" builds without official branding.

Still to me there are 3 categories of off brand:

1. Brands that have Official and have the actual licenses (for example MEGA having Warcraft / Pokemon / HALO / Masters of Universe etc) .
  2. The other category being the more disputable things that are either seem to be "copies" of LEGO Sets or MOCs, in case of MOCs it's even harder to identify if the design was bought/stolen/permission, in case of sets, it's usually even a very similar box art. 
  3. Usually sets like some x-in-1 firetruck/police car/construction vehicle that can be made into multiple things, and then some dioramas, display pieces etc, but usually not of a big known off-brand so I don't know the quality, again, usually if on amazon, they aren't sold by amazon themselves but 3rd party sellers.

Edited by TeriXeri

8 hours ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

I just think this could play a role in the potential demise of TLG. Not saying it's like that; again maybe vidyo was just part of a "throw away budget". But can also be that they did lose a lot of money and maybe it is an early 2000's situation. I don't know - let's see. But the existance of proper alternatives, now even having decent infrastructure and communication within Europe doesn't make it easier for Lego.

It seems totally different to early 2000s to me. The problems then were spiralling costs across all themes. One dodgy theme like Vidiyo is not going to kill lego. Look at their half year report, they are doing fine. Christmas sets sold very fast again. Fan numbers (as in actual buyers) and sales are at an all time high.

On 9/30/2021 at 6:14 PM, Alexandrina said:

for me the quality is a long way from being equal. None of the off-brands I've ever handled come close to matching Lego, and usually you can see them a mile off.

all I've come in contact with has been second-hand stuff as part of bulk lots, or when I was younger the contents of friends' collections. Therefore, anything in the last few years won't have hit me yet

Hmmm. So "contact" was a while ago, right?

I did go the dark route last Christmas. Got this as a present (OK, I ordered it; MouldKing via BlueBrixx):

flying_dutchman_side_small.jpg

Water: TLG's bricks/plates. Ship: MouldKing. Quality of ship pieces: Same or better. Ship colors: I am color-blind, leave it up to others. Price? Not even anywhere close to what TLG would ask for such a set - if they ever made it.

Best
Thorsten

TENTE has come back today. They are different enough not to call them a copy. There was even a jury sentence agreeing that in the day.

A group of enthusiasts has reopened the factory using Exin's original moulds and added new pieces.

https://www.iunits.es/

People never discuss the price increase for their own wages and salaries and take it for granted while they like to discuss the price increase for toys, if you are that unsatisfied about the price increase just go away and give up Lego, this doesn't worth any discussion.

On 9/28/2021 at 11:27 PM, TeriXeri said:

If it means the end of weird €5-€20 differences it's likely an improvement for the already expensive countries.

To be fair, the price on 31120 Castle going to €120 isn't even that bad if it means it will be sold outside of LEGO.com and likely gets discount to offset it (Pirate Ship has been seen at €65 at times and that's a €100 set), right now the set 31120 being pretty much exclusive means it's pretty much full price regardless, however if nothing changes in terms of distribution, then yes, it's a straight up 20% price bump that makes no sense. (again, 31120 exclusivity seems to vary a lot per country, and while some retailers are selling it outside of LEGO.com, it almost feels they aren't allowed to lower the price much currently)

1 glance at the prices page on Brickset will show weird differences across the board, that aren't consistent at all , and its not just the same countries every time.

Overall, I think time is needed to see how it will even out in terms of decrease/increase, but it certainly will vary per country.

Why is 80020: White Dragon Horse Jet €45 in Netherlands , Belgium (+5€ ), but not France

Why is 80022: Spider Queen's Arachnoid Base + €10 in Netherlands, Belgium , but this time does include France.

Why is 21325: Medieval Blacksmith €150 in Germany, Austria , Italy , but €160 in France, Spain , and €170 in Belgium, Netherlands ? 

Inconsistency all over the place, but mainly Netherlands/Belgium the most affected by higher prices (just using what's listed at Brickset, it doesn't list everything, but I heard Finland, which do use Euro is often affected by even higher prices)

LEGO does say Western Europe, so I imagine it will mostly mean Netherlands/France/Belgium/Germany will be standardized equal Euro prices, not sure how it will affect central or Southern Europe which still do use Euro , but median income isn't the same across the entire Eurozone.

Back in 2018, this set was one of the most extreme : 75203: Hoth Medical Chamber

$30 in US , 35 in UK , but €40 , €45 or even €50 in Euro countries , that's not just a few percent difference but almost double.

I won't get into more US vs Europe, as I know the typical $30 US vs €20 is the case for many City sets, or €30 vs $20 US is typically happening quite a lot on Licensed themes, but just pointing it out the price differences aren't 1 way so not a simple math of VAT being added in the Euro price, while usually added after in US and varies per state I believe.

Overall, gotta see where 2022 pricing will end up, and what sets will actually go DOWN in price.

Yeah, Finland has one of the highest prices in all of the Eurozone countries but it doesn't affect every set equally. The RRP here for the sets you listed: 

80020: 50€

80022: 130€

21325: 180€

Usually most sets are something like 10-20€ more expensive than elsewhere in the Eurozone, but there happens to be couple of retailers which sell most sets for significantly below RRP (and I'm not talking about discounts) so in the end it appears that we get similar prices to the Central Europe, as long as we know where to buy.