evancelt

[COR-FB] Sheep Shearing School, Wullham

The brothers Gregor and Duncan MacAulen had lived alongside sheep for most of their lives.

They were new to Wullham and had quickly noticed upon their arrival that there was a niche that needed filling.

Wullham had a ton of sheep, but very few people who knew how to shear wool! They first thought of monopolizing the shearing trade, but the huge number of sheep on the island frankly scared them a little.

Instead, they decided to open a sheep shearing school.

sheep-shearing-1.jpg

In their inaugural class, the brothers welcomed five locals - including a woman! They weren't picky when it came to students who could pay their class fees.

sheep-shearing-2.jpg

Local herders would bring their sheep to a holding pen and the MacAulens' dogs would make sure they stayed in line.

sheep-shearing-3.jpg

Once a fleece was removed from a sheep, they would pile it on a cart to take to town.

sheep-shearing-4.jpg

Corporal Thiessen of the 26th Foot skirted the outside of the school on his way to Fort Stockton. He had received orders to report to the fort - there were rumors of action with the Lotii in the New Haven Sea!

sheep-shearing-5.jpg

sheep-shearing-6.jpg

--------------------

OOC: To be licensed as a large educational build for Wullham.

This one was just a fun chance to try out some techniques I'd been wondering about (the thatch roof, treasure chest tree, wigs for fleece, etc). You may recognize the boat prow building from this unlicensed build. I like the plumes better than the backpacks for the roof :pir-grin:

The thatch worked perfectly! and it really suits that house (definitely more than the backpacks - although I didn't mind the backpack look either...) It feels really nordic and makes me want to build for Mitgardia again! I think the boat technique would work really well for a stave church - something I've been wanting to try for some time (heads to bricklink). Impressive collection of sheep as well (see bracketed comment above :pir_tong2:)

6 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

The thatch worked perfectly! and it really suits that house (definitely more than the backpacks - although I didn't mind the backpack look either...) It feels really nordic and makes me want to build for Mitgardia again! I think the boat technique would work really well for a stave church - something I've been wanting to try for some time (heads to bricklink). Impressive collection of sheep as well (see bracketed comment above :pir_tong2:)

Thanks! I'd love to see the stave church if you build it! You can pick the sheep up on Bricks n Pieces if you search for set 10775! Way cheaper there than on BrickLink. You have some Brickforge ones already, right? Would be cool to see a mix of the two in a build.

I think those ship prow pieces are only like $0.15 or something - so cheap I bought a few dozen last year so my kids could make DIY hulls.

6 hours ago, Spud The Viking said:

Very nice build! Lots of good techniques in here.

You probably could put this as part two of Challenge 5 in the GoC.

Oh! Good call. I'll submit it there. What do you think of the soldier's backpack design? Should I try that one en masse? Tried to purge this build of the backpack mistakes of yore :pir_tong2:

3 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

I'm impressed that you've built the shed walls at a 45° angle. That's a big commitment to a concept. Nice work.

Thanks! Yeah the roof took 20 - 30 min to make. It's 17 studs long and then 8 studs tall. There are 8 plates of relief from the bottom to the top. Surprisingly sturdy!

3 hours ago, Fraunces said:

I like your unusual techniques in the house and the trees, nice!

Thanks! Not sure the treasure chest tree is nice to look at, but is unusual :pir-wink:

Edited by evancelt

Good story. Very nicely built landscape and the house has been improved with the thatched roof. The minifigures and animals have been well chosen and positioned. Using the wigs as sheep's wool was a good idea.

Despite an impressive display of new/rare parts, making you a spoilt rich brat, that's a very impressive shack, with some good idea/technic used here.

I'm puzzled by thoses trees but... it works.

3 hours ago, evancelt said:

What do you think of the soldier's backpack design? Should I try that one en masse?

I'd like to see more photos, especially of the front! I also seen this design that I'd like to try too.

3 hours ago, evancelt said:

Tried to purge this build of the backpack mistakes of yore 

Haha, but in all seriousness I wouldn't call it a "mistake". An experiment worth trying - maybe if you had a few dozen backpacks in grey it would work! :pir_laugh2:

Sheep! Sheep! Sheep! Sheep! Times 16! Is all I can say for now. I got myself 5 and I thought I overdid it! :pir-grin:

Really nice moc, excellent :pir-love: shed an photography showing the various steps of wool acquiring! 

15 minutes ago, Spud The Viking said:

Haha, but in all seriousness I wouldn't call it a "mistake". An experiment worth trying - maybe if you had a few dozen backpacks in grey it would work! :pir_laugh2:

Haha I thought about trying that, but only have 4 of those gray ones. I have some green ones too so I was thinking they could be moss on the gray roof :pir-wink: Maybe some day

15 minutes ago, Spud The Viking said:

I'd like to see more photos, especially of the front! I also seen this design that I'd like to try too.

Definitely looks better from the back because the inside of the tiles is visible from the front. I am going to try that suitcase method too that Matt Rich has been showing on Instagram - just need some TLG rubber bands!

1 hour ago, Professor Thaum said:

Despite an impressive display of new/rare parts, making you a spoilt rich brat, that's a very impressive shack, with some good idea/technic used here.

I'm puzzled by thoses trees but... it works.

Thanks! The most expensive piece on the roof was definitely the plumes, but they weren't too bad coming directly from lego.com - the other elements were cheap on BL

2 hours ago, NOD said:

Good story. Very nicely built landscape and the house has been improved with the thatched roof. The minifigures and animals have been well chosen and positioned. Using the wigs as sheep's wool was a good idea.

Thanks! Haha yeah the wigs were fun - looked at my white minifig elements and those definitely fit the bill best!

10 minutes ago, blackdeathgr said:

Sheep! Sheep! Sheep! Sheep! Times 16! Is all I can say for now. I got myself 5 and I thought I overdid it! :pir-grin:

Thanks! Haha I thought I was being conservative getting 16! They aren't too expensive on lego.com. I expect we'll see some flocks in the 100s on some upcoming castle builds! :pir-grin:

10 minutes ago, blackdeathgr said:

Really nice moc, excellent :pir-love: shed an photography showing the various steps of wool acquiring! 

Thanks! I have some additional sheep-related builds in the pipeline for Wullham

5 minutes ago, evancelt said:

They aren't too expensive on lego.com

Sadly no PaB or BnP here :pir-bawling:. Oh well, at least I've got 2 goats to show off! :pir-grin::pir_tong2::pir-laugh:

I, too, believe that a flock might appear sooner than later. 

Oh yes!  Love the plumes, great to see the house finished off with a really good roof.  Neat design for the fence doors too, it's always a challenge to get an angled bar in between and you did it nicely!