Hi all! It's been a while since I've posted anything here. But here you go, my little side project:

Vintage Tractor

800x533.JPG

Functions:

• Steering via steering wheel
  • Fake L3 piston engine driven by the rear wheels via differential
  • Moving valves synced to the pistons (more or less)
  • Simple 2-speed gearbox controlled by a lever
  • Rear Power-Take-Off controlled by a lever

800x450.png

The main feature of the build are the moving intake and exhaust valves synced to the piston movements. They are driven by two cams phased 180 deg from each other. The biggest challenged was to figure out the way to move the valves for the central cylinder in the opposite way. The end solution was to link it to the opposite shaft using a 5M lift arm. See it in action in the video below.

Video:

The model is different from how I usually build. Since my last post more than 5 years ago I've been working on two projects, mostly in series (not in parallel). Both of them are very complex (to my taste) and move at a very slow pace inspite of huge amount of time invested in it. I am a perfectionist and while I am trying to restrict that side of me in the daily life, Lego is a way to let it go. So for two "real" projects I optimize every single module of a MOC dozens and dozens of time. And it takes forever to finish anything.

That MOC here is my brake from it. It's a study into what I can get if I don't optimize too much. The idea was to accept the first solution which works. The finished result as you can see is not polished and rough around the edges. But it works. And it was completed in a fraction of a time needed for my serious MOC of mine. And I am happy with it.

As for some other people, the inspiration came from the beautiful 4000025. At about the same time I saw an Allis Chalmer Model B displayed as a decoration at my local grocery store.

800x600.JPG

And I felt in love with that thing. It's one of the most elegant piston-driven vehicles I saw IRL. Four cylinders, gearbox, torque tube, differential, and portal axles. What else do you need? So I've settled to re-create it in Technic with the following objectives:

• Do it quickly; Try to accept the first solution which works
  • Function-over-looks
  • Make it true Technic without much system parts
  • Try to implement all the main functions in a small scale
  • Make everything work reliably

So in the end I wasn't able to build the Model B. It ended up as a generic tractor looking nothing like my inspiration. Which is fine, since function-over-looks was one of the objectives.

With the release of this part I am now eager to build a true replica of the Model B. But, that a next step...

I send my greetings to the talented builders who posted some truly incredible vintage tractors here recently:

4000025-Inspired Ferguson TE20 Tractor by @Brickend

Vintage Tractor by @MangaNOID

Old Little Tractor Lanz Bulldog by @Jundis

To finish it off here are some additional photos. I am lucky to live in Southern Ontario, where farms are breathtakingly beautiful

800x533.JPG

800x533.JPG

800x533.JPG

Criticism is welcomed! And stay tuned for a proper MOC. Hopefully won't be long. It is sitting on the shelf waiting for the video and some additional photos.

Edited by proran
add some info

This looks seriously cool. I like the use of Rahkshi back plates for the mudguards - very innovative! Your photography is brilliant as well and really sets the mood for your build. :thumbup:

Tractors arn't really my intrest, but I do think it looks well made and pretty cute! The kind of tractor you would find in a children's book :classic:

Steering systems on these machines are always so weird as a supercar builder...

I can think of a great number of piston powered vehicles that I think are more elegant than this tho :laugh_hard: But taste is different and that's okay.

Also, can you please tell me the part number of the round pieces used for the rear wheel mudguards? Thank you!

3 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

Also, can you please tell me the part number of the round pieces used for the rear wheel mudguards? Thank you!

I can "field" that one (haha, oh). It's part 4215830.

3 hours ago, proran said:

I am lucky to live in Southern Ontario, where farms are breathtakingly beautiful

:thumbup:

I really like the model. It doesn't look great, but the functions are solid and are shown nicely. The engine valves are very unusual and cool, the steering is nice and complicated, and you even added a gearbox and PTO! The rear wheel/tire combination is also pretty cool, and I don't think I've seen it used before.

Thank you guys! I glad you've liked it.

5 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Your photography is brilliant as well and really sets the mood for your build. :thumbup:

Special thanks for that comment, that something I am trying to learn to do properly.

5 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

I can think of a great number of piston powered vehicles that I think are more elegant than this tho :laugh_hard: But taste is different and that's okay.

Ha-ha. Indeed the tractor in my photo can hardly be named an elegant thing. But take a look at this photo, for example

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Fpin%2F127367495682064347%2F&psig=AOvVaw0L0QJZmH4LHmCE7XWXZyi4&ust=1632705032353000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAsQjRxqFwoTCKiCkba6m_MCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAP

I would very much like to hear your list, even if it is a bit off topic.

5 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

can "field" that one (haha, oh). It's part 4215830

Ha-ha, thanks!

@2GodBDGlory I glad you've quoted that. Before coming here I never thought fields of corn can be that beautiful.

Thanks for sharing @proran   Nice MOC, love all the functions you've put in! Also the presentation in the video, text and photo's is a joy to read and watch!

What a great work! Your selection of pieces really makes this thing unique 🙂

The fender, front axle construction and also the valves are great! 

That's a lovely looking tractor, and well done for getting so much realistic function into such a narrow chassis.

The rear mudguards are genius!

12 hours ago, GerritvdG said:

Thanks for sharing @proran   Nice MOC, love all the functions you've put in! Also the presentation in the video, text and photo's is a joy to read and watch!

Thanks for the kind words. I am trying my best. Some of the folks here set a pretty high standard for the videos. 

9 hours ago, Jundis said:

The fender, front axle construction and also the valves are great! 

2 hours ago, Brickend said:

The rear mudguards are genius!

Thanks guys! I’ve never thought, fenders will gather so much compliments.