BarfolomewMog

(MOC) Stormtrooper Memorial

Hi

This is the first MOC I've made that I thought might be worth sharing.

I've been working on this project over the last couple of months in memory of a workmate who passed away from brain cancer earlier this year.

His wife and kids requested that mourners bring a small Lego creation to the funeral instead of flowers so I threw something together over a couple of evenings in between shifts but it was pretty clunky and fragile and I wasn't really happy with it.

I wanted to improve on the concept and this is the final result after many, many iterations and multiple Bricklink orders. 

I tried to keep it relatively small as I didn't want to reinvent the wheel with the model that Lego had released (75276).

Hope you like it!

51510912524_7c1f9e2a0e_c.jpgMemorial by Greg Dalink, on Flickr

Edited by BarfolomewMog
added blurb from Flickr page

Impressive in its quiet beauty and style, not to mention the build technique. Just fabulous.

I almost wish this was an official set.

Edited by Flieger

Thank you Flieger, "quiet" is exactly the feel I was going for.

Gray_Mouser, there are 141 pieces in the helmet alone (including 4 that make up the mount to attach to the rifle)

As far as attachment goes, that's a great question!

The bottom section with the minifigure helmets folds out. The 2 white small claws are attached to bent skeleton arms whose elbows nestle into a small void behind the 2x1 wedge. When closed, these claws are sandwiched quite securely.

Similarly with the 2 white medium claws under the eyes, they are attached to bent skeleton arms (clips at 90 degrees) and are trapped by the ear covers. This allows them to sit at a better angle, and again, are quite secure.

The black small claws used to create the black stripe above the eyes are attached to skeleton arms which are locked in place by small lengths of rigid hose that have been cut to size and trapped. I know official Lego instructions have involved cutting rigid hose, so I figure this technique is legal and doesn't cause any pieces to be stressed.

The only unfixed pieces are the small antennae levers used to represent the "slit" across the face. They fit perfectly in the half-plate gap between the tile and the wedge plate except for the ball at the end which wedges into the gaps between the 2x1 wedges. If you were to turn the model upside down, these would be the only pieces that might fall off.

It's a fairly stable model overall, but definitely not swooshable haha!

Wow. It is the scale that makes this so hard - and you nailed it.

I also like very much the "notion" of your diorama - the tribute. In the movies, storm troopers are mostly (if not always) treated as - well - dumb idiots with guns that are available in masses. There are ugly acronyms for such folks in every language, I believe.

In a war - regardless of a star war or a real war - there is hardly time for saying "goodbye" or any kind of appreciation upon death arriving - war is war - and what is it good for? Absolutely nothing, as Frankie goes to Hollywood's song goes. In your diorama, there was at least time to bury the body and erect some sort of memorial symbol. As they did in real wars as well - provided there was time to do so.

Very, very nice - your models should be present in every SW collection. I have a few SW models, also these whatever they are called - figures - about 20 - 30 cm high. This would be a perfect addition. To put things into perspective.

Thank you very much for sharing (!), and congratulations on the front paging! This really deserves it.

All the best,
Thorsten 

Hi Thorsten

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive and encouraging post, I really appreciate the support!

I'm very happy to have made the front page, the spring has returned to my step!

Cheers

Greg

Awesome moc! I love how you make the gun and the helmet so accurate! I think that maybe you could've make the gun more realistic, but that is just a nitpick compared to this cool design. Fs in the chat for our stormtrooper.