Lion King

LEGO 40530 - Jane Goodall - Rumors & Discussions

It’s probably going to be pretty similar to that Amelia Earhart set from earlier this year. If that’s the case, it’ll probably pop up in March.

That Amelia Earhart set is also one of my favorite Lego promos ever so hopefully this one has the same level of quality.

OK, this is a dream come true!! I am a huge fan of hers. I hope they do her and the chimps justice. I wonder if they will do her as the young explorer, or as she is now? Too much to ask, but would love the chimp figures to have individualised printing so they could represent some of the characters from her original group back in the 60s.

This will be such a wasted opportunity if the animals are brick built in this set :wacko:

Has it happened that they have made new parts for GWP before? If not then the chance for a chimp in the next CMF just went up :tongue:

16 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

Has it happened that they have made new parts for GWP before? If not then the chance for a chimp in the next CMF just went up :tongue:

What about the monkeys they already have? The previous CMF monkey recoloured could be nice, though that too seems like a stretch for a GWP.

Or they'll use the monkey they introduced this year, even if it's inaccurate. They used a white bird to portray a duck in the Friends Apartments after all.

As the motto goes, "Good Enough is Good Enough"!

8 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

What about the monkeys they already have? The previous CMF monkey recoloured could be nice, though that too seems like a stretch for a GWP.

Or they'll use the monkey they introduced this year, even if it's inaccurate. They used a white bird to portray a duck in the Friends Apartments after all.

As the motto goes, "Good Enough is Good Enough"!

Yes, I guess the old CMF one is most likely if they do not make a new one :shrug_oh_well:

Given she is still actively raising funds, a set like this might be better as a paid for set with some of the proceeds going to the cause. Rather than as a free gift set designed to increase sales of sets direct from LEGO.

6 minutes ago, MAB said:

Given she is still actively raising funds, a set like this might be better as a paid for set with some of the proceeds going to the cause. Rather than as a free gift set designed to increase sales of sets direct from LEGO.

You could make a good point on fundraising. 

1 hour ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

You could make a good point on fundraising. 

We can assume a set using a living person already has a licensing deal, so I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a direct donation aspect from Lego to this already. 

1 hour ago, williejm said:

We can assume a set using a living person already has a licensing deal, so I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a direct donation aspect from Lego to this already. 

Although it might just be "we will raise awareness of your campaign".

12 minutes ago, MAB said:

Although it might just be "we will raise awareness of your campaign".

Which is a donation in kind, and would stop people who hate conservation or chimpanzees calling it ‘political’ 

Which is a donation in kind, and would stop people who hate conservation or chimpanzees calling it ‘political’ 

Yeah, I think it’s just neat to have a donation to support conservationists in effort to protect endangered speices due to climate change, poaching and other stuffs.

I just think it’s a nice way to raise awareness about chimps - Jane Goodall put all her strength and energy into her study for decades. 

19 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Yeah, I think it’s just neat to have a donation to support conservationists in effort to protect endangered speices due to climate change, poaching and other stuffs.

I just think it’s a nice way to raise awareness about chimps - Jane Goodall put all her strength and energy into her study for decades. 

Also great for kids to have / see these sets with empowered real-life women 

6 minutes ago, williejm said:

Also great for kids to have / see these sets with empowered real-life women 

Bingo!

If this set would be released in March, it would be a perfect timing for Women’s History Month (i’m not sure if there is one in UK?) AND International Women Day. 

The new monkeys from the safari sets don't look anything like chimps. I would rather see the one from the "Tarzan" CMF re-released, with a bit of special printing in the faces to make them more individual. There are two chimps that stand out in my memory from devouring her books as a teen... Flo and David Greybeard. There are others of course, like Flo's family, Goliath and more, but we will never get that many chimps in one set. It would also be nice to have Hugo van Lawick in the set as well.

They could make it a promo you pay extra for like that Ninjago Brickheadz set if they aren’t selling it on its own.

4 hours ago, sunhuntin said:

The new monkeys from the safari sets don't look anything like chimps. I would rather see the one from the "Tarzan" CMF re-released, with a bit of special printing in the faces to make them more individual. There are two chimps that stand out in my memory from devouring her books as a teen... Flo and David Greybeard. There are others of course, like Flo's family, Goliath and more, but we will never get that many chimps in one set. It would also be nice to have Hugo van Lawick in the set as well.

Agreed - new monkeys don’t look like chimps. The old chimp mold from regular CMF Series is just ok. Like @williejmsaid, it would be cool to see some new dual-molded chimps with gripping hand (similar to a new monkey’s). 

21 hours ago, williejm said:

My second thought after "I hope we get actual chimps rather than just monkeys or god forbid a minifigure in an ape suit" was that this was a political set being made by Lego. (Definition of political being "Influenced by, based on, or stemming from partisan interests or political ideology" - partisan interests being that which is shown toward a particular cause). Note that I do like chimps and hope to get more of them in Lego sets, especially since I currently have none. It ties in well with Lego's current trends toward sustainability and the like (Vesta set, bricks from plants, trialing paper bags etc).

Looking forward to seeing what this one is (in the hope I will be able to get a new animal from Bricks and Pieces).

57 minutes ago, timemail said:

My second thought after "I hope we get actual chimps rather than just monkeys or god forbid a minifigure in an ape suit" was that this was a political set being made by Lego. (Definition of political being "Influenced by, based on, or stemming from partisan interests or political ideology" - partisan interests being that which is shown toward a particular cause). Note that I do like chimps and hope to get more of them in Lego sets, especially since I currently have none. It ties in well with Lego's current trends toward sustainability and the like (Vesta set, bricks from plants, trialing paper bags etc).

Looking forward to seeing what this one is (in the hope I will be able to get a new animal from Bricks and Pieces).

Extinction is political 🤷🏽‍♂️

Extinction is political 🤷🏽‍♂️

This! It’s a reason why conservationists/scientists fighting for animals’ existence. 

PSA: Mass extinction is on the rise. 

Okay, back to the topic - even tho we don’t have any more info at the moment. 

Edited by DBlegonerd7

On 9/25/2021 at 12:45 PM, timemail said:

It is not really any more political than LEGO doing the American Saturn V, Mars Rover, Space Shuttle and Lunar Lander yet no Russian spacecraft.

14 hours ago, MAB said:

It is not really any more political than LEGO doing the American Saturn V, Mars Rover, Space Shuttle and Lunar Lander yet no Russian spacecraft.

I would argue it is quite different. Sets like tha NASA ones, and the White House, are political in the more traditional sense of the word. While there are arguments for their benefit they still represent the government of one country.

In the case of a set like this it is a cause which does not represent any one government or set of people, but rather something which Lego are appearing to support (conservation/environment which is their prerogative). I would argue that is a better political set, but I'm sure others would argue against that.

I am happy with any political sets to be honest. A set is a set. I can either buy it or not. I would love to see Lego release more sets of any kind.

Either way, fingers crossed for Chimps.

2 hours ago, timemail said:

Either way, fingers crossed for Chimps.

Something we definitely all agree on! 🐵

What do others think the rest of the build could be? If it's a similar set/piece point to the Amelia Earhart set, I could see a large central tree, with 2-4 chimps, and some research equipment with the Jane Goodall minifigure. Lego these days seems to LOVE trees.