Recommended Posts

 

This part is already faulty. The hub could not detect it. Lego has replaced with a new one. Thanks.
 
But I am curious. What has happened inside the motor. Can it be repaired by a non electronic man?
 
So, let's open it up.
 
There is no screw or any opening...
 
Then I need to be a little bit tough on this.
 
I used a knife and Philip screw driver.
 
So, that's it.
 
Well, if you think this 13 minute video is boring, please forgive me.
 
Thanks for watching.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, zumaidi said:

Can it be repaired by a non electronic man?

You mean a non-robot?

Edited by Maaboo35

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

At Time-Stamp 2:24 you can see the correct alignment of the PCB-Assembly to Cable- & Motor- Connections

The pictures from Time-Stamp 12:10 to 12:57 has the assembled PCB put 180° rotated on the Motor

@zumaidi

Is the PCB on the other side "empty" ?

I think, that on the PCB-Part cliped on the white Housing with the red Cross-Axle Bush there will be placed the HALL-Sensor

Does you conform ?

 

Jo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Internally it seems almost identical to the PF L motor with an additional PCB for the position Hall sensor and ferrite magnet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks way harder to get apart than the PF one! I've been worried that I'll have to rip mine apart for repairs someday, but your video doesn't make me very hopeful of getting it back together again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

You mean a non-robot?

No. I mean people without electronic knowledge. That refers to me. I don't have any such knowledge nor qualification. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BrickTronic said:

Hello,

At Time-Stamp 2:24 you can see the correct alignment of the PCB-Assembly to Cable- & Motor- Connections

The pictures from Time-Stamp 12:10 to 12:57 has the assembled PCB put 180° rotated on the Motor

@zumaidi

Is the PCB on the other side "empty" ?

I think, that on the PCB-Part cliped on the white Housing with the red Cross-Axle Bush there will be placed the HALL-Sensor

Does you conform ?

 

Jo

At time -stamp 5:50, I have to cut the PCB in order to inspect the top part.

from  12:10 to 12:57, I just re-arranged the parts to take photos.

Is the PCB on the other side "empty" ? - you can see the back at time-stamp 5:50

 

the hall sensor ?

640x639.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, zumaidi said:

No. I mean people without electronic knowledge. That refers to me. I don't have any such knowledge nor qualification. 

I was joking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

I was joking.

Ha ha ha. Sorry I didn't get it in the 1st place. Thanks. 

On 9/24/2021 at 4:19 AM, 2GodBDGlory said:

That looks way harder to get apart than the PF one! I've been worried that I'll have to rip mine apart for repairs someday, but your video doesn't make me very hopeful of getting it back together again!

The build is very tough and compact. Not sure which part is repairable. I guess may be the chip can be replaces but that requires special tool. In my case, it was not detectable by the hub. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

THanks for opening your motor, so we can see how it looks like. I have never had a faulty motor, but good to know it can be openeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MurlosTehnik said:

THanks for opening your motor, so we can see how it looks like. I have never had a faulty motor, but good to know it can be openeed.

You are welcome. I am glad that the faulty motor can still give some value of knowledge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had 2 motors fail recently, an XL and L.

The XL motor was used a lot daily for testing for some 3 months.

The XL started to turn slower and I could feel reistance when spinning it by hand. I took it apart, including the electrical motor itself and discovered that one of the brushes (they are not usual graphite burshes, but metal ones) managed to get bent backwards causing some kind of a short on the winding.

 

The L motor was used in the steering from 42099 for a year or so, only for testing and that's very low usage, maybe once per week.

The L motor is showing symptoms of reduced power, it doesn't reach as high currents when loaded/stalled as other ones, it feels like either the winding is damaged or that the internal protection is broken and triggers way too soon.

I've never experienced such problems with Power Functions motors, so I'm a bit worried about their robustness.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2021 at 10:52 AM, zumaidi said:

 

This part is already faulty. The hub could not detect it. Lego has replaced with a new one. Thanks.
 
But I am curious. What has happened inside the motor. Can it be repaired by a non electronic man?
 
So, let's open it up.
 
There is no screw or any opening...
 
Then I need to be a little bit tough on this.
 
I used a knife and Philip screw driver.
 
So, that's it.
 
Well, if you think this 13 minute video is boring, please forgive me.
 
Thanks for watching.

 

Cool! Thanks for breaking that down for us! It's very helpful!

On 9/25/2021 at 8:23 AM, MurlosTehnik said:

THanks for opening your motor, so we can see how it looks like. I have never had a faulty motor, but good to know it can be openeed.

I am surprised that TLG is once again using planetary gear reduction in their motors. I hope that they are not planning to continue doing this in the future.

Edited by HydroWorld Outlook

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.