Chapter 13. Hideout

Glömt Torn

Rotten and broken were the two words that came into mind the first time I caught eye of Glömt Torn - the forgotten tower.

It stood fragile, exhausted. An ancient monolith from a previous time, wreathed in weed, mist and fog, like the last standing tombstone in a decaying and crumbling cemetery.

Glömt Torn

Glömt Torn looked no better from the inside. If anything, it looked worse. No one had been here for the past hundred winters, and it had clearly been abandoned and claimed by nature, left to decay. 

The walls were blistered and mildewed, the wooden columns torn and pealing. Old, rusted chandeliers hung from a weak ceiling, cobwebbed and disused. Patches of black mold covered all the eye could see, covering the whole interior in one lengthy shadow, like darkness contained in a sealed jar. The walls felt wet to the touch, the air was chilled, and the damp made my skin itch and prickle.

No living thing would ever feel warm in this place.  

We stood before the big and circular staircase that grew along the walls, looking around, speechless. 

“Big, isn’t it?” said Vekrod. None of us answered.

The Hideout

________
Louis of Nutwood

Nice MOC!  I like the vegetation the best.  The rockwork is a bit too rough for my taste, but the shore, paths and snow fit in very well.

On 9/21/2021 at 6:06 PM, jtooker said:

Nice MOC!  I like the vegetation the best.  The rockwork is a bit too rough for my taste, but the shore, paths and snow fit in very well.

Really glad you liked it, sir Tooker. Thanks for the support, lad. Skol! 

I really enjoy your water technique, great job with the horn foam.  Also nice blend of sideways and studs up work on the tower! 

4 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

I really enjoy your water technique, great job with the horn foam.  Also nice blend of sideways and studs up work on the tower! 

Hey, Kai! I'm flattered that you liked it. The foamy water turned out nicer than I anticipated. There's even some reflection! Thanks for the support, bud. Skol!

Nice one! As others wrote, I like the water (horns are an awesome idea) and the whole path that crosses the water and up to the tower.

15 hours ago, Muriel said:

Marvellous! I like everything, but the detail of the water with the horns... mmm :)

Really happy you liked it, Muriel! I agree the water turned out pretty cool. Thanks, bro!

5 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

Nice one! As others wrote, I like the water (horns are an awesome idea) and the whole path that crosses the water and up to the tower.

I'm thrilled you enjoyed it, BlackDeath. I've been looking for different ways to use my horn pieces, and I think I might use them even more, now. 
Thanks for the support, lad. Cheers!

Glad to see the story continue!  I particularly like the cattails in the water.  It reminds me a bit of the tower build from your entry for the last challenge V. 

Louis, I like this MOC and think it's pretty good really, but a couple different choices would have really put over the edge and for me it's all about "less is more".

1. The tower.  First thing is that ruins are freaking HARD.  And that said, I like the shaping and the SNOT work in there, but if all the dark brown was either dark bley or light bley I think it would be more successful.  There's a lot going on visually there, and one less color would make things more cohesive.
  2. The sand green is kind of distracting.  I might drop it all together, or, get some flat-ish areas in the landscaping that you could locate the color on.  "Color blocking" is often talked about as a key part of a well presented spaceship MOC, but more and more I'm of the opinion it also applies to castle builds and especially landscapes.

The above said, I like the rock arch you incorporated on the left and especially how you handled the tan in the path through the water and its transition out of it.  I also totally agree with the others above, the horns-as-foam technique looks really good at this scale and through the camera angle you chose for us.