Soupperson1

Disney Properties 2022 - Rumors & Discussion

apparently we are getting classic disney sets next year, I assume they will be minifigure sets, very exciting

4 hours ago, Surge said:

apparently we are getting classic disney sets next year, I assume they will be minifigure sets, very exciting

That doesn’t really surprise me. There have been multiple classic Disney sets that have gained popularity on Ideas, and if there’s any year to take that free market data and actually make real sets it’s next year. 

It will be interesting to see how a set wave will affect the choices for the CMF lineup. I expect there will be some ‘obvious’ choices that will be skipped over because they’re appearing in a set, like Snow White (fingers crossed for a Lilo and Stitch set so we can finally get Lilo), but the licensed CMFs also have a history of enhancing the sets released alongside them by including characters or variants that don’t fit in the set itself. For instance, I could easily see them doing a Snow White set that included the titular princess, a couple of dwarves, and the Witch, while the CMF has the villainess in her Evil Queen form. It will definitely be interesting to see what comes out of all this - I think there’s definitely a higher chance of not having paired characters now. 

According to Jedi JAC Penguin, the sets labeled as classic are:

Set: 43212 - {? TBA Classic Disney Animation ?}
    • Includes 200 pieces
    • US $39.99 - DE/FR €39.99 - UK £TBA
    • Release: APRIL 1ST 2023

Set: 43217 - {? TBA Classic Disney Animation ?}
    • Includes 598 pieces
    • US $54.99 - DE/FR €54.99 - UK £TBA

Set: 43220 - {? TBA Classic Disney Animation ?}
    • Includes 111 pieces
    • US $19.99 - DE/FR €19.99 - UK £TBA
    • Release: MARCH 1ST 2023

No clue which movies they might be from, especially at those price points.

1 hour ago, spiderfan2000 said:

• Includes 200 pieces

• Includes 598 pieces

• Includes 111 pieces

With those piece counts we’re probably looking at small vignettes or vehicles. The two smaller sets especially have piece counts I’d normally associate with large molded pieces or a larger number of minifigs than standard. I could see the ‘Kiss the Girl’ boat scene from Little Mermaid with the molded rowboat or an 101 Dalmatians scene with some new molds and prints for the dogs eating up the budget at expense of piece counts like that. There are also enough Disney horses out there that I wouldn’t rule out a large molded animal featuring in one of the sets - for that matter, the lion and lioness molds would also fall into that category and Lion King is an extremely popular movie that really doesn’t fall under the purview of a CMF, this could be Lego and Disney’s solution to that. The largest set has a more typical piece count for that price point, so we’re probably looking at a small building or a vehicle there. 

Just thinking out loud, but if we get ANY "101 Dalmatian" sets from this 'classic animation' lineup, it better be Cruella's car and the devil woman herself! I could see it at the $19.99 price point, especially if it's comes like a 2 in 1 CREATOR-style set - damaged (roofless, flaming tailpipes) and regular version both in the same set, just swap a few parts to get from A to B. Just throw in Jasper and Horace figs to complete the trio of bad guys from the film, and presto, you've got a perfect set!

Edited by Murdoch17

24 minutes ago, Murdoch17 said:

Just thinking out loud, but if we get ANY "101 Dalmatian" sets from this 'classic animation' lineup, it better be Cruella's car and the devil woman herself! I could see it at the $19.99 price point, especially if it's comes like a 2 in 1 CREATOR-style set - damaged (roofless, flaming tailpipes) and regular version both in the same set, just swap a few parts to get from A to B. Just throw in Jasper and Horace figs to complete the trio of bad guys from the film, and presto, you've got a perfect set!

Honestly, I could totally see getting Cruella’s car - I could also totally see getting Cruella’s car + Jasper and Horace’s van  as that $55 set. The final car chase from the movie is easily one one of Disney’s most iconic scenes outside of a Princess movie (and therefore done already in the minidoll theme), and I could definitely see it being a big draw to set designers. And skimming through the Speed Champions sets, the price and piece count is somewhat consistent with two car sets in that theme. 

Before I get excited for the Classic Disney sets I'd like to know for sure if we're getting minifigures or minidolls

1 hour ago, PGBQW said:

Before I get excited for the Classic Disney sets I'd like to know for sure if we're getting minifigures or minidolls

While the reported set numbers are mixed in with Disney Princess sets that will no doubt be minidoll based, it’s worth noting that there’s a distinction made in the placeholder names between “Disney Princess” and “Classic Disney Animation”. Also, despite the small sizes, I think the use of the word ‘classic’ for the subtheme suggests a more mature audience, and minidolls have never really been used for adult collector sets before. 

1 hour ago, Agent 86 said:

Perhaps the large set could be their own version of the Snow White and the Seven Dwarves Cottage?

Not impossible, but is 598 pieces enough? I’m pretty sure the Ideas submission that was so popular was much bigger than that. I suppose including all seven dwarves could explain the low price count of one of the smaller sets, but that also seems unrealistically optimistic. 

Classic Disney sets are definitely long overdue and would be such a huge seller. I always imagined a line of minifigure-based sets geared towards older collectors would be a huge hit, maybe with movie moments in diorama style like the Star Wars or Jurassic Park sets released this year. Not going to get my hopes up yet until we get some more definitive news, but the potential is exciting.

Please let it be Belle and Beast set (minifigure only)!! Of course, i will be disappointed once the setnames turn up eventually. 

Is Classic Disney sets going to get “Disney 100” branding, I wonder….?

I‘m not getting excited until we learn whether these will include minifigs or minidolls :tongue: If it‘s the former, this could be a gold mine!

I mean i don’t think CMF Disney Series 3 only the one that has “Disney 100” branding….

5 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

I mean i don’t think CMF Disney Series 3 only the one that has “Disney 100” branding….

I think we can assume all of the Disney sets to have that branding next year (except for Marvel, Star Wars, Avatar, and Indy perhaps. Or maybe on the side of the box somewhere for these four themes).

That branding doesn‘t tell us whether the sets will have minifigs or not though :tongue:

I'm predicting that these sets will focus more on the early Disney stuff, with Mickey/Mickey-adjacent characters, rather than specific movies from later on.

Maybe a set based on an Oswald cartoon with Oswald and Ortensia (okay, this might be my wishful thinking, but it seems plausible), something with Sorceror Mickey from Fantasia, and then if they were going to do something based on a princess movie, I'd bet Snow White (because it's the earliest one) or Cinderella (just because it's probably the most famous. 

7 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

I'm predicting that these sets will focus more on the early Disney stuff, with Mickey/Mickey-adjacent characters, rather than specific movies from later on.

Maybe a set based on an Oswald cartoon with Oswald and Ortensia (okay, this might be my wishful thinking, but it seems plausible), something with Sorceror Mickey from Fantasia, and then if they were going to do something based on a princess movie, I'd bet Snow White (because it's the earliest one) or Cinderella (just because it's probably the most famous. 

While I wouldn’t rule out an exclusively pre-war era line up entirely, I think you need to relax what your definition of ‘classic’ is by a lot. 

I realize that it’s distressing for all of who were already born and growing up when the movies came out, but Disney is definitely branding the Renaissance era as Classic. The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, Aladdin: all Timeless Classics. And anything before that and probably a good couple years after that are all fair game too, based on the fact that the rumored Brickheadz include Eve & Wall-E and Mulan & Merida. Disney’s definition of Classic isn’t ‘our origins’, it’s ‘will people in their mid twenties or older buy this out of pure nostalgia?’

It’s worth keeping an open mind - especially since the piece counts and prices on the two smaller sets suggests they both feature new and/or large molded parts, which doesn’t really match up with Disney’s popular older films, but would make sense with, say, a Lion King or 101 Dalmatians based set. 

On 10/4/2022 at 9:18 PM, Agent 86 said:

Perhaps the large set could be their own version of the Snow White and the Seven Dwarves Cottage?

Given that they gave the (excellent) Ideas submission additional scrutiny and then rejected it, does that make it more or less likely to be Snow White and the cottage? On the one hand you could say that they rejected it after learning that the Disney team wanted to do their own version. But on the other, wouldn't they have already known about the production plans for this set at that time? If, as speculated at the time, it was down to the criticism of the new live action remake, then I don't think they'd do their own version either.

That Ideas submission was so good. Such a shame!

40 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

Given that they gave the (excellent) Ideas submission additional scrutiny and then rejected it, does that make it more or less likely to be Snow White and the cottage? On the one hand you could say that they rejected it after learning that the Disney team wanted to do their own version. But on the other, wouldn't they have already known about the production plans for this set at that time? If, as speculated at the time, it was down to the criticism of the new live action remake, then I don't think they'd do their own version either.

That Ideas submission was so good. Such a shame!

The biggest problem for me is that even the $55 set isn’t big enough to include all the dwarves. The Ideas submission definitively proved that plenty of people would have loved to pay top dollar for a complete dwarves cottage with Snow White and the complete set of seven dwarves, so it would hardly make sense to reject that in favor of something much smaller. Not saying lego wouldn’t necessarily do it, but it would frustrate a lot of people. 

23 minutes ago, Accio Lego said:

The biggest problem for me is that even the $55 set isn’t big enough to include all the dwarves. The Ideas submission definitively proved that plenty of people would have loved to pay top dollar for a complete dwarves cottage with Snow White and the complete set of seven dwarves, so it would hardly make sense to reject that in favor of something much smaller. Not saying lego wouldn’t necessarily do it, but it would frustrate a lot of people. 

Completely agree.

On 10/4/2022 at 3:04 PM, spiderfan2000 said:

• Includes 200 pieces

• Includes 598 pieces

• Includes 111 pieces

This is so exciting! It’s about time this makes so much sense for Disney to have sets devoted to classic films. Given how expansive their character roster is , if played smart they could give great sets with solid figures and still leave some left over room for various cmf series to come. It would take a bit of pre-planning for the first few years of the theme, but it would pay off tremendously in the end. 

given its not categorized with Princess sets, there is certainly the hope that we may get figures. I am praying we get a Pinocchio set and feel confident we may. Lady and the Tramp would make sense for the $20

price point if they both come with new moulds.

Lastly, am I the only one who does not enjoy the current Pluto mould? I can’t put my finger on it but something about that mould is off putting and awkward to me.

I hope it’s alright to ask this here. I don’t where else to ask and the property in question is technically connected to Disney since Disney now owns 20th Century Studios/Fox.

What is the likelihood of LEGO Planet Of The Apes sets in 2024 to coincide with the release of “The Kingdom Of The Planet Of The Apes”? The Avatar sets made me think that something like this is likelier than it may initially seem.

Personally I would love to get Planet Of The Apes sets. It would be ideal to me if they did, in addition to the presumed three or four sets for “Kingdom”, at least one set for each of the 2010s films; “Rise”, “Dawn”, and “War”. For figures of Caesar and Koba for instance (both chimpanzees if I’m not mistaken) they could use standard torsos, the long arms, and medium legs, plus a new head mold. They could even do a D2C set based off the original, 1968 film.

It would be a fantastic theme to me (the box art would be great alone.)

Edited by SuperSquidman

39 minutes ago, SuperSquidman said:

I hope it’s alright to ask this here. I don’t where else to ask and the property in question is technically connected to Disney since Disney now owns 20th Century Studios/Fox.

What is the likelihood of LEGO Planet Of The Apes sets in 2024 to coincide with the release of “The Kingdom Of The Planet Of The Apes”? The Avatar sets made me think that something like this is likelier than it may initially seem.

Personally I would love to get Planet Of The Apes sets. It would be ideal to me if they did, in addition to the presumed three or four sets for “Kingdom”, at least one set for each of the 2010s films; “Rise”, “Dawn”, and “War”. For figures of Caesar and Koba for instance (both chimpanzees if I’m not mistaken) they could use standard torsos, the long arms, and medium legs, plus a new head mold. They could even do a D2C set based off the original, 1968 film.

It would be a fantastic theme to me (the box art would be great alone.)

Well, they've already got a good head mold from "Solo - A Star Wars Story" for the '68 version of the apes (even in the right color for Orangutan's)...

37616pb01.png

As long as it's not the Tim Burton-version*, it could be possible.

(*Man, that film sucked!)

Edited by Murdoch17

Planet of the Apes is one of my favourite franchises ever. 

Getting sets for that would be a dream come true. I could see them selling pretty well, if done right.