nerdsforprez

[MOC] Greeble wall in Lego Room

Usually I am a Technic builder but as can be seen in my signature block, I have dabbled in other areas as well.  Specifically, as well as Technic, I have always loved Sci-Fi ships and greeblies, as my "Tribute to Greeblies" project can attest.  

Well this past year I completed my Lego Room.  The closest room to the entrance looks like this: 

20210710_180135

Cropper and zoomed in to give a better idea: 

20210710_180135_edit

I would like to plate this whole wall with a Sci-Fi look.  I am not sure exactly how to word it, but like the armor plating of a spaceship or base, inside of a hangar bay or something.  There will be some greebling, but I would like it a bit more structured, with better flow and less random than my "Tribute" project above.  Few things I am learning: 

Depth is important.  I began only two studs deep and realized I had more to work with.  When I say "more" I don't want the Lego portion of the wall to extend past the moulding of the door frames.  But luckily for me, I can go three studs deep without extending past the moulding, so I changed that. Depth allows for more contrast and embedded details.  More 3D.  Wish I could go four, but then I violate the "extending beyond the frames limit" I set for myself.  So that is out.  

I want to strike a good balance between not being too busy, but not being too boring or block-y either.  My "Tribute" project was meant to be random, unstructured, more of an artistic piece than what I am striving here for, which is something much more functional and realistic, though still in the Sci Fi genre.  So far, I like what I have achieved.   

Here are a few pictures for reference. 

Too random, unstructured, but still something:

40354f6d1d4a21635cfba01d63ef0163

Here is something much more in line with what I am thinking,  I will need a bit more variance because the wall itself (shaped around the door frames) is variable itself, but I could do something like this, or differing renditions of  this for the different areas of the wall: 

61c62737bd455bad048fc7a646e40d3e

Perhaps I will do something like the above with crevices or creases with exposing more of an unstructured, random core (like first picture).  At only three studs deep, this is difficult, but possible.  

I have started, and here are some WIP shots.  Few words and thoughts as well.   

As I begin to work I realize I also liked varying the levels of the Lego-portion, both in depth and the extent it covers the wall.  I thought I wanted to cover the whole wall, but I have changed that.  See the right side of the below pics.  I think I like just the slightest bit of varying wall coverage.  Breaks up the blockiness of the project.  

Also, I thought I would keep the whole thing 3 studs deep; but that seems to be changing as well.  I plan on changing to 2 studs as some point, then back to three (see right of the image).  Mostly will remain at 3, so as to keep depth perception and 3D nature of things.  When I am away from the door frames I may even be able to change to four as some point. 

20210920_10274820210920_10272020210920_102349

I thought I wanted everything to be LBG.  I have the most elements for this project in that color and that seems to be my preference for all things sci-fi and greeblies anyways.  Even though the wall-portion of what I am covering is not that big, this project will already need several thousand pieces, so that is kinda important.  Also, although it is difficult to see in the lighting, that is really the exact color, or really close, to the paint color.  The greebling wall will be the same color of the rest of the room, which is planned. But it will noticeably be all Lego because of the differing contrast, shadows, etc. the Lego greebling will offer.  But as I began building, keeping it that color is too monochromatic.   Not in comparison to the paint, but in comparison to itself.  Lego on Lego.  So I will be adding some DBG in there is as well.   

Above is what I have so far.  These are just prototypes.  None of it is final.  It will also all be modular. I am building each section about 20 studs or so high.... which will result in 20-30 sections.  But this will allow for easier installation and removal.  And in the future, if there is any section I want to look different or change, I can change it out at any time.  

For additional information or context, video of the complete Lego room is here: 

Edited by nerdsforprez

That is f’ing awesome :pir-wub: 

I need walls like those!

20 hours ago, Blackfalcon81 said:

Wow!!! Great room and great tribute!!!

18 hours ago, Jim said:

That is f’ing awesome :pir-wub: 

I need walls like those!

THxs to you both!  I will post updates as I go along..... 

That's going to look great when it's done.  Your test sections already look really good.

How are you going to attach it to the wall?  Once it gets high enough it will have to be anchored somehow won't it?

On 9/25/2021 at 9:46 PM, mdemerchant said:

That's going to look great when it's done.  Your test sections already look really good.

How are you going to attach it to the wall?  Once it gets high enough it will have to be anchored somehow won't it?

SOrry for getting to this so late.  I am just seeing it. 

Fortunately I do not think so.  I have some gorilla double-sided tape that already is probably too strong.  I took down a section, and it ripped off some of the drywall  :)  

It is the perfect wall because the weight really sets on the moulding of the door frames.  It is an older home, so these mouldings are incredibly solid.  They will more than carry the weight of everything and they are very thick.  If I extend the "Lego" portion of the wall out three studs they still do not extend past the moulding.  For the narrow vertical sections I will use the moulding at the bottom.  True they are much narrower, but that is why I have the wall tapering at the bottom with sloped bricks.   

Really the only issue with the weight will be with the Lego wall flopping over or something.  More of an angular trajectory or something.  But as far as downward weight, it is all on the mouldings.  WHich I suspect is 80% of the weight or something.  

So far I have put up sections with minimal tape and things hold just fine.  Updates this weekend.  

That's very cool! I'll be keen to see it complete! 

I thought about the monochromatic feeling of it, and while dbg is a good colour to go with it, what about a real kinda spaceship vibe to contrast with it? Such as trimmings of red or blue (I would say yellow but don't think it'd go well with the grey) perhaps just along the top or bottom, perhaps to replicate bulkhead structure? 

Either way, a cool project you are doing! 

On 10/3/2021 at 11:57 AM, Fuppylodders said:

That's very cool! I'll be keen to see it complete! 

I thought about the monochromatic feeling of it, and while dbg is a good colour to go with it, what about a real kinda spaceship vibe to contrast with it? Such as trimmings of red or blue (I would say yellow but don't think it'd go well with the grey) perhaps just along the top or bottom, perhaps to replicate bulkhead structure? 

Either way, a cool project you are doing! 

Its a good thought (about the color).  I guess I have a real odd fixation on my sci-fi projects.  Really not into ships as much as I am in the galactic, metallic look of greebling.   But white would work with the room and is a common color in some ships I really like.  

I will probably keep it all Light or DBG.  But it is a good recommendation.  For reasons specified above.  Plus... these are the colors I have many pieces in from past projects.  Although I will still be buying more, I do like using what I have, so coloring things is out for me.   

2 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Its a good thought (about the color).  I guess I have a real odd fixation on my sci-fi projects.  Really not into ships as much as I am in the galactic, metallic look of greebling.   But white would work with the room and is a common color in some ships I really like.  

I will probably keep it all Light or DBG.  But it is a good recommendation.  For reasons specified above.  Plus... these are the colors I have many pieces in from past projects.  Although I will still be buying more, I do like using what I have, so coloring things is out for me.   

Absolutely fair enough :) 

I still really like the greeble wall! I'd be half tempted to put some kind of hinged panel hiding. The odd minifig as a little secret egg kinda thing. 

Keep this updated with progress pics! 

Edited by Fuppylodders

15 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

I still really like the greeble wall! I'd be half tempted to put some kind of hinged panel hiding. The odd minifig as a little secret egg kinda thing. 

I know.  I might do something just like that.  But with only three stud-deep offset I don't have much to work with.  But it really would be cool.  

I like the idea of hiding a third-party lights embedded in the build like I did with my "tribute" above.  But time will tell.  THings moving along nicely... I will post an update hopefully this week.  

Quick update: 

I drew up a rough sketch of what I am looking at doing.  

20210928_145817

The blocked off, smaller sections will be recessed and full of greeblies, piping, etc.  (See below).  Very rough... but this is what I am looking at doing.  

A lot of it will be redundant, just because of the sheer size.  But I am focusing on some creative modules as well.  In fact, I think the "shooter" elements have alot of potential given that they have two of the color tones I am working with, are perfect greebling, sci-fi colors, and have steely, mechanistic patterns.  Here are a few configurations I came up with.  I have not seen these before, not saying they don't exist, but I have not seen them.  As far as I know, they may be original.  

20210928_155419

20210928_160949

20210928_162151

20211008_181104_2

Here is the result so far.  The "cracks" are not filled yet.  Will be filled with the recessed greeblies....

20211011_072138

@nerdsforprez It's very nice building work even unfinished but now that I see a large section in place in the middle I think the door trim is going to detract from the overall look a bit.  What you've built so far looks amazing but imagine how much more amazing it would look if the trim was gone around the display closet and the Lego extended right to the edge of the opening.  Removing it would be a big hassle though.

Keep up the updates, I'm eager to see how it turns out in the end.

On 10/26/2021 at 11:13 AM, MinusAndy said:

Maybe put some sort of retinal scanner module by the door?

Lol..... I like it.  Let me consult with Spock and we will get back to you....

5 hours ago, mdemerchant said:

@nerdsforprez It's very nice building work even unfinished but now that I see a large section in place in the middle I think the door trim is going to detract from the overall look a bit.  What you've built so far looks amazing but imagine how much more amazing it would look if the trim was gone around the display closet and the Lego extended right to the edge of the opening.  Removing it would be a big hassle though.

Keep up the updates, I'm eager to see how it turns out in the end.

Hmm.. I hadn't thought of that.   It is a good idea... but yes, not sure if its going to happen.  This is an older house we are already done so much to, and I have experience removing the trim elsewhere and it is a beast! About 4 inches wide, thick, and ... well good news is they built older houses so much more solid than the new stuff but it makes the demo a pain in the *$%.  

No but seriously, good suggestion.  I will probably complete what I have and go from there.  I can see myself modifying perhaps down the line.  Like I said, the build will be modular, so it is easy to take down and rebuild, apply, etc. sections in the future should I choose to...

Its been nearly a month since my last post.  I have made a little progress.  But not much.  But I like where it is going.  I now see a little more clearly that adding a little DBG is the way to go.  Before I was a little ambivalent.  And in the top left corner, though most of the build is fairly simple, I want things to get a little more busy... as if there is a transition somewhere beyond of something more grandiose.  Thoughts? Mind you the photos are nothing great at this point, but I will take some high quality photos when this is all done.  

20211121_220558

20211121_09172320211121_091934

So not sure how much interest there is out there in the project... but here are a few updates: 

On 10/4/2021 at 6:51 PM, Fuppylodders said:

So with more thought... this is totally doable.  And I am already adding some of these.  And... dare I say, what is being added is pretty cool.  Not mini figs, not much into those, but something else.   Unfortunately, what I am adding doesn't come without a little backstory.  

For this holiday season I went back home and spent time with family and friends.  At my parent's home I found my old Legos and other toys.  Included in them were the old Construx toys by Fisher-Price.  Remember those?  

65d398_a9de205a0a0d49148fcad036895c7c75_mv2

s-l1600

Well I found several of them and am incorporating them in the wall behind hidden-doors.  Here is an example: 

Construx beam - 

20211224_215244

Wall with hidden door: 

20211224_122735

Slide the door and viola!

20211224_122722

Small Construx Beam: 

20211224_121456

Hidden behind door. Notice how the color nearly matches.  Looks pretty authentic.  And the Construx holes fit perfectly into 1x1 round plates with a 4L bar doing through:

20211224_122352

Embedded behind a sliding door like this: 

20211224_121955

As mentioned I also found some (not all) of my old Lego bricks.  The Lego bricks were just sitting there and I decided to bring them home and use them for the backing of the wall.  As I mentioned before, the majority of the wall is three studs thick (I vary the depth for contrast).  At three studs there is a whole layer that really is not seen and only there for structure.  So, I am building the wall with old bricks from my childhood providing the back structure.  At least some of it.  I had already done a large portion of the wall with other, old bricks.  But pretty much the entire upper-right portion of the wall will be old bricks from my childhood!  

20211224_21544020211224_21532720211224_215201

I have also found  a way to incorporate lights.  I will not add more pics at this point as the project is nearly done and I just want to share the whole thing altogether.  Not to mention this update is already pretty picture heavy!  :grin:

Only just found this thread and love what you’re doing. I think if you added some “Easter eggs” like you started to do that would be great eg the Death Star you’ve added, perhaps an Octan fuel tank, a classic space logo

On 12/27/2021 at 5:54 AM, Seasider said:

Only just found this thread and love what you’re doing. I think if you added some “Easter eggs” like you started to do that would be great eg the Death Star you’ve added, perhaps an Octan fuel tank, a classic space logo

Thanks! and yes... I am adding a few.  Like I showed above, mostly hiding old Construx toys I had as a kid.   Although I have some other hidden goodies in there as well.  I hope to have the project done in a month or two.  

On 1/3/2022 at 2:14 PM, kieran said:

Amazing, looks so tactical, will add something very special to your room 

Thank you!

Edited by nerdsforprez

I am pleased with how this project is coming along.  I was able to manage finding a lights system I was happy with and how to incorporate it into the build.  Took a little time, but this is what it will look like.  Pleased to say this is also turning out to be one of my most enjoyable projects ever!

20220105_132000

The picture quality is not the greatest.  But when this project is all done I will take some of better quality.  

Edited by nerdsforprez

Project is done!

I'll be brief: 

- took about 4 months to complete. 

- has lights, and hidden trinkets, from either my kids or my childhood behind secret walls, sliding doors, etc. I am not posting pics of them, you will have to see YT video to see them.  I am big on cyclical nature of things, and use my Lego room to remind me of this.  So things from my childhood, kids, etc. only made sense.  

- Combines two of my favorite Lego genres.  Technic and Space/Sci-fi.  Why Technic? I consider the hidden doors, etc. as functions along with the lights.  

- Details of the build are above.  

Stills: (also check out my flickr account, I will be posting higher resolution photos there in time).

709_small841_small929_small

730_small

903_small854_small106_small701_small

Lemme know your thoughts!

This turned out extremely nice. It not only manages to be a really neat build with fun details and secrets, but it also works well in the room as the actual wall. It doesn't feel overpowering, or too large, or so overly detailed that it adds a ton of visual noise to the space.