Sign in to follow this  
Lasse

[MOC] Heddal Stave Church

Heddal Stave Church is the largest stave church in Norway. It was constructed at the beginning of the 13th century.

I visited the church in 2019. Since then, I have been thinking about building a LEGO model of the church. But I had many other things I wanted to build. So it was only this year that I got time to build it.

51448137525_0307e60019_c.jpg

51447915129_3fc1f5937f_c.jpg

51446400047_2fec228879_c.jpg

Here are some photos of the real church:

DSCN7711.JPG

Heddal_fra_wikipedia_2.jpg

I visited the Heddal stave church many years ago after seeing it in a D&D book. It’s a beautiful building and your recreation of it is excellent! :thumbup:

If I may make a suggestion, I would replace the reddish brown parts with dark orange or nougat ones. In your version, the colour of the roof is too visually impactful and needs to be balanced with more vivid walls.

It’s a shame LEGO shies away from* representing churches. If it did an Architecture one of Heddal, I would definitely get it.

*Yes, I know LEGO has done churches before, but it doesn’t do standalone ones now.

I think the reddish brown colour is just fine. What caught my eye was that you built the walls upside down. They look great. Good build.

7 hours ago, Lego David said:

Is this a digital or a physical build? I cannot quite tell. Either way, incredible build!

This is a physical build. I never build digital models. But I have used Pixlr to edit the photos.

Next weekend I will exhibit this MOC at Fan Weekend in Skærbæk (the big international LEGO event in Southern Denmark)

Wicked build. I agree, the use of the cones makes it really pop. And since it's really built, that must be one heck of a display piece and conversation starter. I've been to the stave church at the museum outside of Oslo and loved it.

Wow, @Lasse!  This is a wonderful and accurate model!  I really like the architecture of the referenced structure and you did an excellent job of rendering it in brick form.

The windows and roofing techniques are very nice.  As mentioned above by others, the use of 1x1 cone bricks works very well for representing the actual structure walls.  Did you consider or try the same cone-stack technique but with the alternating cone-stacks inverted to allow for a tighter mesh? (see reference photo below)

51496039122_1b42a7c235_n.jpg

P.S. I think your model would look even better if you included the low stone wall and the graveyard around the church building.

Edited by Slegengr