Heads up guys, tonight’s the night. Promobricks has the dragon in hand and have asked if they should take a look at the instructions for the other sets. This is it fellas. The night of judgement! 

jokes aside I’m really excited. Titan mech especially.

There's a lot to love about this set, although some things don't work at all.

Minifigures are good, but why doesn't Zane have a blue katana?

Really great to see a new villain faction. They are weird mash-ups, I wish they were more consistent tho. Bone King looks awesome, but the other two have too much going on imo.

The dragon looks good. Really bulky, but it pulls it off really well. Colour scheme is fantastic. The head is not tho — the lower jaw is way too bulky, looks out of place with the upper part.

Can't wait to see the other sets.

Sets are leaking as we speak on promobricks livestream, these look phenomenal! 

Kais car looks decent, lots of new parts. Mech duel looks alright, but a solid way to get 2 nice mechs, even if the builds are a bit strange. Golden Lloyd? And the bone warrior mech looks weird!

Coles dragon looks amazing, a very nice build and I love the horns! Massive improvement over the Kai dragon from last year!

New wings as well, and the enemy looks cool. 

Wow, the mech bike. Weird for sure, but not bad. Definitely original, but I was hoping for something more streamlined and low to the ground. Nice figures and the mech itself looks good. 

jays jet doesn’t look too bad but definitely suffers from the downsize. No exclusive figs so probably gonna be forgotten very quickly. 

jays Titan mech, holy crap. This thing is wild. Unlike anything I’ve ever seen, more of a MOC than a set. Huge crest on the head, massive blade and very gangly mecha inspired design, sort of like the overwatch 2 Titan set that never released. Love the colours! Incredibly unique and good figs. 

And Wu bot is back, lovely! Not much left to reveal now, just the brick box and the water dragon. 

brick box looks amazing, lots of new parts, and useful temple parts, but is definitely targeted at a younger demographic. Hopefully pretty cheap, maybe £45-55. 

and finally. The Nya dragon, which of course is a store exclusive and thus we won’t know what it looks like till reveal day. Overall, an incredible wave. Captures the “core” look and feel whilst still being incredibly creative and unique. I can’t wait for these sets! I definitely feel like the strongest sets are the smallest which is great for small budgets!

It's a fantastic wave imo. So many wild and unique builds.

Kai's Race Car is cool, looks good enough. No interesting minifigures tho.

Mech Battle looks surprisingly fantastic. I love both mechs. New Core ninja Variant is also great to see, might actually have to buy that one.

Earth Dragon is also incredible. I love everything about it, and especially the head. Unlike anything we've seen in Ninjago. Possibly my favourite set from this wave.

Mech Rider is wild, so unique. I love it. Really awesome set.

Jay's Jet is the weakest set unfortunately. The back is great, but the cockpit doesn't do it for me. Did they change Core Jay's colour to regular yellow tho? Definitely looks like it in this picture.

Jay's Titan Mech is even wilder than the Mech Rider, and it's just as awesome. I mean, wow. The two giant cannons, the circle stricture in the cockpit, the ridiculously humongous sword, the red lantern weapons.

Ninja Brick Box is great too. The temple builds are really well done. Wonder who the two white characters are tho.

Edited by THELEGOBATMAN

Hmm, could the 2 new characters be the new ninja for Ninjago united? Is this the precursor? Minifigs appear to be exactly the same as yesteryear so that would explain why there’s no new face prints as it wouldn’t be worth it for one last wave. Hopefully we see more pics soon. 

Edited by a guy from somewhere

27 minutes ago, a guy from somewhere said:

Hmm, could the 2 new characters be the new ninja for Ninjago united? Is this the precursor? Minifigs appear to be exactly the same as yesteryear so that would explain why there’s no new face prints as it wouldn’t be worth it for one last wave. Hopefully we see more pics soon. 

Core waves don’t connect to the show aside from occasionally using a vehicle or two, like legacy, so United has no bearing on these sets. The new figures in the creative box are interesting, I think the one standing in the temple is wu, but I can’t place the one with the weapons. Should be interesting to see.

Wow, I love Hay's Titan Mech and the Earth and Ice Dragons, especially the head design for the Earth Drag9n. The otange wings look weird and slapped on but hopefully it looks better in person. I'm still kicking myself for not getting the original Earth Dragon so I might try to pick this one up at some point. I kinda like Kai's mech and bike and I wonder if this gives us an idea of what to expect the Ghost Rider mech and bike set for Marvel. Not gonna lie, the skeleton villains are pretty boring but the new set of bone weapon pieces are really cool. 

These look good, and I like the direction that Ninjago seems to be heading! 👍

Sets: 
Jay's jet is weak, and would have worked better as a side/combiner build in a larger set. 
Kai's car is nothing special, but it is cute, so I may pick it up. 
Lloyd's Mech Battle is a decent continuation of the Core mechs, and I would not mind an ongoing Nexo Knights/Marvel-style mech gimmick for Ninjago. 
Cole's Earth Dragon is a bit small, but I really like the design; very prehistoric, and almost like a fantasy demon boss-villain. 
Kai's Mech Rider is crazy (a motorcycle for a mech that is wielding a spear twice its height!), and it looks quite good. 
Jay's mech is absolutely brilliant; the unconventional design and massive sword really set it apart from past mechs. My only criticism is that the ankles are a bit spindly, but that should be easy to fix. 
Zane's dragon is also a standout; the hefty six-legged design is cool and unconventional, and the build has a very good balance of living-creature-to-ice-construct. The secondary mech build is not great, but a meh alternate model does not take away from the main model/set, IMO. 
The brick box is surprisingly good, with some nice dojo temple models and two new trainees. 

Minifigs: 
Most of the Minifigs are reuses of the existing Core suits, which is not really disappointing as much it feels like a missed opportunity for some new designs. That said, I get why LEGO would want to give Core some consistency (since it is intended to be Ninjago's most basic elements), and I appreciate that it frees up the part budget for 2HY storyline sets. We do get one new addition to the Core Ninja lineup, though, with golden Lloyd; I might pick up the Mech Battle for him. 
The villains, on the other hand, look very good, and I like that we are getting a new type of villain in Core (rather than just rehashed snakes). I count four different types of these bone demon-things: Bone King (red with black cape, samurai helmet with bone horns), Bone Knight 1 (chain torso print, new jaw piece (!), Mr. F helmet, and MotM armour), Bone Knight 2 (same as BK1, but with a red straw had and no armour), and Bone Warrior (wrappings(?) torso print and Black Panther ears as horns). Really my only problem with these guys is the frequency with which Bone King appears (three out of the six sets with bone-villains). 

Overall, I like that Ninjago is branching out with respect to villains (particularly in Core), and that the theme is embracing some more outlandish, rule-of-cool set designs. 

Love the Pixel fig she is the standout of the wave for me. Brief thoughts on some of the sets.

71782 - not the biggest fan of the lighting its hard to see the outline of the dragon with such dark imagery. I do like the head but Zayns Rhino dungeon is probably going to remain the assigned build for Cole in my collection for the time being. I need an image with better lighting to determine if I’ll pick this up. Bone spider looks flimsy

71786 - Unlike Zayns Rhino I actually think this dragon fits Zayn perfectly. That said the set feels a bit too large for me. Taking Lloyds Green dragon from TLNM, Nya and Kai’s water and fire dragons respectively from this past wave, and the dungeon Rhino I gave to Cole (even though its canonically Zayne’s) into account, this dragon feels quite huge and out of scale. All the other ninja have reasonably scaled animals to command but this ice dragon is a behemoth. And not in the good way, I feel it makes it look awkward when lined up with the other animals the ninja own. I do love the 6 legs and the build is nice but feel like it could have been scaled down a bit.

All in all not my favorite wave but winter waves tend to not be as strong as summer waves in my opinion so we’ll see what else this theme has in store for the year.

5 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

These look good, and I like the direction that Ninjago seems to be heading! 👍

Sets: 
Jay's jet is weak, and would have worked better as a side/combiner build in a larger set. 
Kai's car is nothing special, but it is cute, so I may pick it up. 
Lloyd's Mech Battle is a decent continuation of the Core mechs, and I would not mind an ongoing Nexo Knights/Marvel-style mech gimmick for Ninjago. 
Cole's Earth Dragon is a bit small, but I really like the design; very prehistoric, and almost like a fantasy demon boss-villain. 
Kai's Mech Rider is crazy (a motorcycle for a mech that is wielding a spear twice its height!), and it looks quite good. 
Jay's mech is absolutely brilliant; the unconventional design and massive sword really set it apart from past mechs. My only criticism is that the ankles are a bit spindly, but that should be easy to fix. 
Zane's dragon is also a standout; the hefty six-legged design is cool and unconventional, and the build has a very good balance of living-creature-to-ice-construct. The secondary mech build is not great, but a meh alternate model does not take away from the main model/set, IMO. 
The brick box is surprisingly good, with some nice dojo temple models and two new trainees. 

Minifigs: 
Most of the Minifigs are reuses of the existing Core suits, which is not really disappointing as much it feels like a missed opportunity for some new designs. That said, I get why LEGO would want to give Core some consistency (since it is intended to be Ninjago's most basic elements), and I appreciate that it frees up the part budget for 2HY storyline sets. We do get one new addition to the Core Ninja lineup, though, with golden Lloyd; I might pick up the Mech Battle for him. 
The villains, on the other hand, look very good, and I like that we are getting a new type of villain in Core (rather than just rehashed snakes). I count four different types of these bone demon-things: Bone King (red with black cape, samurai helmet with bone horns), Bone Knight 1 (chain torso print, new jaw piece (!), Mr. F helmet, and MotM armour), Bone Knight 2 (same as BK1, but with a red straw had and no armour), and Bone Warrior (wrappings(?) torso print and Black Panther ears as horns). Really my only problem with these guys is the frequency with which Bone King appears (three out of the six sets with bone-villains). 

Overall, I like that Ninjago is branching out with respect to villains (particularly in Core), and that the theme is embracing some more outlandish, rule-of-cool set designs. 

I don't think the secondary build for Zane's dragon is a mech it just looks like a kaiju or upright dragon.   I actually like both designs and would like to see Nya's dragon soon.  

71783 Kai's Mech Rider (I think) has newly moulded large tires & rims!
Possibly of the right proportion for an 'Icons' scale semi-truck!

4 hours ago, Takanuinuva said:

That new sword piece is really cool looking!

As are the new dragon horns.

Bit odd promobricks didn't show Nya's set.

Nya’s set should be a store exclusive so it makes sense it wouldn’t be in the instructions

I love the dragons! Will definitely get Zane's dragon and 2 of Cole's awesome dragon.

Jay's mech looks great, I know we only just had a blue mech in the crystaltarded wave but I'm sure I'll get this one too.

I'll probably get the brick box where Kai has a red car, so I won't need to pick up the other set that's just another red car for Kai. Well, unless a review sways me to pick it up for Macy from Nexo Knights.

Same with Jay's jet, will pass on it unless I feel it'd be good for Clay from Nexo Knights. 

The mech riding a bike is a bit WTF?! But I'll reserve judgement until I see a review, I'll probably end up giving it to MK from Monkie Kid since a bonkers idea like a mech on a motorbike fits that theme so well.

The mech battle set is a bit meh when we have so many better Marvel mechs.

I like the villains. Not sure I like them enough to keep them as is, I'll probably cannibalise them for parts to make my own characters. They'll probably turn up in my Hidden Side webcomic at some point or be minions for The Lady Bone Demon in Monkie Kid. The bone spider in the Ice dragon set looks interesting.

Shame there's no villain location set, a bone themed tomb that they could originate from would have been awesome. I'm imagining something like the Super Naturals playset from the 1980's. I may have to pick up the Skull Sorcerer's dragon for them.

2515060868775834514.jpg

I do like the brick box and how it seems to continue the style of the 2022 dojo/training ground, but lack of other location makes me only hope for something in summer I suppose.

At least all the sets seem quite fun and nice, and no set slots taken up by spinners this time (the 2022 spinners were very basic, and had very few parts compared to previous versions)

Perhaps the most interesting are the 2 "students" included in the box :shrug_confused:

Edited by TeriXeri

3 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

no set slots taken up by spinners this time (the 2022 spinners were very basic, and had very few parts compared to previous versions)

There are 3 'gimmick' sets that promobricks lists for January, and they happen to be for the three ninja that didn't get spinner sets last year, so I think you might be disappointed.

As for the sets themselves, I'm pleasantly surprised by quite a few of these! Kai's car and Jay's jet are the only ones that I don't really care for at all, but they don't even look bad. The mech duel looks pretty good, I like the bulk on the lloyd mech that gives it greater visual presence, and the villain mech is pretty cool too, with the large dish conical hat adding a lot of character. Cole's dragon is easily the best EVO dragon yet, since it thankfully drops the EVO limb pieces for the legs and seems much more filled out than the prior two. Also all the spikes and barbs make this dragon feel more unique compared to the others. The mech rider has much different proportions than I expected, with the bike being so tall, but I still find it interesting. I like the armoring on kai's mech, and the large sword staff also feels fitting for the vehicle-mech combo. Jay's titan mech is an absolute standout to me, I was expecting the usual style of mech but this design just feels so unique that I'm actually considering getting it now! I like the contrast between the thin and nimble frame and the large weapons, withe the shoulder cannon and giant sword. Also great to get what appears to be a pixel-bot, even if it's not round like in the show.

It looks like the designers are more comfortable designing sets for the slightly younger age bracket now, but I also noticed that some of the EVO sets are 7+ rather than 6+, which may explain why they feel more detailed than this year's EVO sets. Also glad to see most sets use the bone weapon pack, so it isn't hard to get plenty of them. Overall, actually seeing these sets has me much more excited now!

I wonder if they went with the designs they chose for 2023 with new bone weapons, more fantasy looking villains and new moulds for dragon parts so that they have plenty parts to reuse for the Dungeons and Dragons set that's coming?

31 minutes ago, Killian said:

I wonder if they went with the designs they chose for 2023 with new bone weapons, more fantasy looking villains and new moulds for dragon parts so that they have plenty parts to reuse for the Dungeons and Dragons set that's coming?

No.

The weapons had to be designed a long time ago, and they announced the D&D set just a few weeks back. No to mention that all the ideas haven't been submitted yet, nor have they been chosen.

They don't even know what the final set is going to look like, and if it's actually going to have minifigures at all.