2 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

I sometimes wonder if some color coding is done just for the sake the robots, putting all the parts in the bag.

I doubt that: I'd expect the parts to come sorted by colour, just like they are produced by colour.

But I did have a chuckle imaging a robot searching through a bin of various pieces hunting for that one stubborn f**er just like I did as a child :D

7 hours ago, Jim said:

Well, that’s not entirely true. It’s about the total number of different parts used. So using LBG under the skin results in actually using more different parts instead of less.

There is no logic to that. Only one colour compared to many different colours is storage optimisation.

I’ll admit one colour would be boring but colour scattering like in sets is over the top.

Anyway it was all said with a bit of  jest. 

3 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

There is no logic to that. Only one colour compared to many different colours is storage optimisation.

I’ll admit one colour would be boring but colour scattering like in sets is over the top.

Anyway it was all said with a bit of  jest. 

If you use 1 3m Beam in the frame and 5 in the body, it make sense to have the one in the frame be the body color. Making all the inside pieces LBG adds color/piece count and makes storage more of a hassle. Storage optimization has nothing to do with color, to the storage system a Blue 3m Beam is not the same as a LDG 3m beam.

2 hours ago, deehtha said:

If you use 1 3m Beam in the frame and 5 in the body, it make sense to have the one in the frame be the body color. Making all the inside pieces LBG adds color/piece count and makes storage more of a hassle. Storage optimization has nothing to do with color, to the storage system a Blue 3m Beam is not the same as a LDG 3m beam.

This is exactly my point. Thank you :classic:

If TLG uses a LBG pulley instead of lime green and the LBG pulley isn’t used in other sets, they need to produce and store an extra LBG pulley, while they have lime pulleys available in the warehouse already. That is the kind of optimization TLG is using frequently.

It's also not just about storage, but production too. TLG has only a limited number of injection moulding machines, which can only work on a single element type at a time. This means that not all "in production" elements can actually be produced all the time, and they probably have element usage planned many years ahead so that a single machine can be used to produce parts for future sets too. And sometimes they might miscalculate the need for some element, perhaps some set isn't selling as well as was hoped or a set has already their elements produced but is canceled, and then they end up with tons of certain elements in storage. They still want to put those elements in use if possible rather than recycle them, so sometimes we'll end up with odd colours inside sets.

36 minutes ago, howitzer said:

It's also not just about storage, but production too. TLG has only a limited number of injection moulding machines, which can only work on a single element type at a time. This means that not all "in production" elements can actually be produced all the time, and they probably have element usage planned many years ahead so that a single machine can be used to produce parts for future sets too. And sometimes they might miscalculate the need for some element, perhaps some set isn't selling as well as was hoped or a set has already their elements produced but is canceled, and then they end up with tons of certain elements in storage. They still want to put those elements in use if possible rather than recycle them, so sometimes we'll end up with odd colours inside sets.

Yeah, exactly. Perfect addition to my comment :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Jim said:

If TLG uses a LBG pulley instead of lime green and the LBG pulley isn’t used in other sets, they need to produce and store an extra LBG pulley, while they have lime pulleys available in the warehouse already. That is the kind of optimization TLG is using frequently.

2 hours ago, howitzer said:

Just don’t produce the lime green pulley in the first place:tongue: And once they start producing everything in lbg dbg and black there will be no problem after a small overlap. Just like a lot of the old sets used to be. 

anyway I’m hardly being too serious but a bit less colour splattering would go a long way.

Ill put my little money where my mouth is though and say I’ll be getting a whole bunch of the prementioned colours so I can build sets how I like...if I like :grin: And not have to actually buy each set.

7 minutes ago, MangaNOID said:

anyway I’m hardly being too serious but a bit less colour splattering would go a long way.

:sweet: :thumbup:

51 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

According to the latest Technic mag, 30433 is based on the Volvo L45H.

Imagine how cool would it be on 68.7 (batmobile) tire

On 8/9/2022 at 2:47 PM, 1gor said:

Imagine how cool would it be on 68.7 (batmobile) tire 

I assume you mean this

Yeah we need more sets that use this tyre!.

Guys, we got set list for first half of 2023 from Brick Clicker, lets discuss about it

January  Wave
42147 - Dump Truck / 10$
42148 - Snowcat / 10$
42149 - Monster Jam Dragon / 20$
42150 - Monster Jam Mutt Dalmatian / 20$
42151 - Bugatti Car / 50$

March Wave
42153 - Nascar Next Gen Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 / 60$
42154 - TBA / 120$
42155 - TBA / 55$
42156 - Vehicle / 200$

21 minutes ago, Dami said:

Guys, we got set list for first half of 2023 from Brick Clicker, lets discuss about it

Why not a new topic? This is about the 22 sets. 

1 minute ago, mortenm said:

Why not a new topic? This is about the 22 sets. 

idk, Im a idiot, Lets create new topic then

On 8/9/2022 at 7:54 AM, Maaboo35 said:

According to the latest Technic mag, 30433 is based on the Volvo L45H.

I’m obviously out of the loop here. When is this set supposed to be available?  This is the first I’ve heard of it.

4 hours ago, dhc6twinotter said:

I’m obviously out of the loop here. When is this set supposed to be available?

The poly bag is already available for quite some time now:

Hello! I wonder if any technic set would be released this year (1 october for example)?

4 minutes ago, Aleh said:

Hello! I wonder if any technic set would be released this year (1 october for example)?

I'm pretty sure we'd have known about it by now. Plus we're now hearing news about 2023 sets, so anything released before then would likely have been mentioned already.

20 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

I'm pretty sure we'd have known about it by now. Plus we're now hearing news about 2023 sets, so anything released before then would likely have been mentioned already.

So the answer is "No" :)

On 8/24/2022 at 2:45 PM, Dami said:

January  Wave
42147 - Dump Truck / 10$
42148 - Snowcat / 10$
42151 - Bugatti Car / 50$

March Wave
42153 - Nascar Next Gen Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 / 60$

These are all sets I wanna get my hands on but I just hope that the Bugatti isn't another pullback like the mustang. Pullbacks intended target is more of a basic play feature (younger audiences targeted) than a technic feature but the Mustang and Porche were definitely not something I expected from the sub theme. I just hope that HOG systems aren't done for, for mid scale technics or else I'm gonna end up modding mine to be RC/steering

my philosophy for the consistency of technic functions is that if the only function is the spinning wheels, then its probably not a technic (and you'd be better off just working with system bricks and calling it Creator Expert/Model team, heh)

Edited by Cyborg_Samurai

On 8/6/2022 at 8:09 AM, Jim said:

Out of curiosity, and coming back to my example of 42120 (Lime pulleys and lime pin connectors), I checked the statistics about the usage of the pulley wheel in all of Lego's 2021 sets:

LBG: 6 sets

DBG: 6 sets

Lime: 2 sets

Black: 2 sets

White: 1 set

Yellow: 1 set

Dark Turquoise: 1 set

Trans-Orange: 1 set

Trans-Light blue: 1 set

Pearl Gold: 1 set

The other set of 2021 that has lime pulleys is set 45400 BriqQ Motion Prime.

So I checked for 2020 sets with a lime pulley, as maybe they might have had some leftovers from the year before - turns out the only set in 2020 with a lime pulley was 45813 "First Lego League (FLL) Challenge 2020 - RePLAY".

Conclusion: From my observation, there is no support for the warehouse optimization theory in the case of 42120. They could have easily chosen a DBG or LBG pulley in this set, but they deliberately chose a weird colour that has no reason to be used in this place. Hence, I conclude: Random color vomit. But maybe there is another reason that we are not aware of...

Edited by karmadrome

There's not just number of sets, but also number in each set. I have no idea if that changes the result of your calculations, though.

1 hour ago, karmadrome said:

Hence, I conclude: Random color vomit. But maybe there is another reason that we are not aware of...

TLG doesn't do random color vomit. TLG does nothing without a reason. 

However, your analysis is spot on. So there might be another reason we are not aware of. And maybe they did have lots left from the "45813 "First Lego League (FLL) Challenge 2020 - RePLAY" set. Who knows.

1 hour ago, AVCampos said:

There's not just number of sets, but also number in each set. I have no idea if that changes the result of your calculations, though.

It is also important where in the set the part is used. Can't use a lime green pulley on the exterior of big red (for example).