I once had the privilege to see a Sikorsky Sea king rotor head up close while a highly knowledgeable aerospace professor explain all the different mechanisms. It was an eye-opening experience, the complexity is just mind-boggling. Especially the different self correcting mechanisms, all purely mechanical are very impressive to see and learn about: One of the mechanisms which I will never forget is the spring loaded flapping hinge, which allows the blade to cope with sudden vertical gusts during flight. The amazing thing about this is the fact that there's another spring loaded subsystem, blocking this movement until the rotor speed is high enough in order to avoid hitting ground object while spooling up the rotor. When the rotor speed it high enough, the centrifugal force moves the locking mechanism in such a way that it frees up the flapping hinge to move.

Add to this equation six rotor blades, a blade folding mechanism and very high safety factors ... simply stunning. The best image I found online of something similar to what I saw that day is this (from a Super Frelon helicopter):

qr7e7b0yy0bx.jpg

The said locking mechanism is the upside down T-shaped bar under each rotor blade.

Edited by Cumulonimbus

On 6/14/2022 at 6:38 PM, Blakbird said:

From what I can tell from the helicopter photos, it will indeed have collective pitch (much like the original 852 helicopter in 1977), but what people are calling "cyclic" will really be a tilting head like 8856.  I'd love to be proved wrong though.

Really hoping you're wrong here too! I  don't know but I think there is some reason for optimism. In the mechanism picture from the box, the "swash plate" seems to be tilted at quite a big angle, but the whole rotor does not seem to be tilted at a significant angle.

42146 - any guess what color this set will be?  I know its a long shot - but hoping for white

6 hours ago, abkdt41 said:

42146 - any guess what color this set will be?  I know its a long shot - but hoping for white

White with a yellow boom, I'm guessing.

8 hours ago, abkdt41 said:

Factory colour is normally yellow superstructure and boom, white cab, grey undercarriage and counterweight 

3 new photos were of the Airbus helicopter were posted on the Lego Technic facebook page.

289539700_1612706542448755_4976164994325

289364717_1612706605782082_1543933188800

289316142_1612706679115408_2208869695282

I think this almost confirms the whole head doesn't tilt, and it's the individual blades that tilt as the head rotates. Looking forward to seeing how they did the cyclic/collective mechanism. Also looking forward to see what others do with the 5 way liftarm.

5 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

Perhaps the actual thread for this model should be updated with these photos.  It will generate more discussion.

:thumbup: yep

10 hours ago, allanp said:

5 way liftarm.

What and where is that?

Can we take a moment to appreciate that kid’s hair? 
Are the side by side 1L liftarms (like mini-binoculars) on the rotor assembly new? I’ve never seen those before.

1 hour ago, KevinMD said:

Can we take a moment to appreciate that kid’s hair? 
Are the side by side 1L liftarms (like mini-binoculars) on the rotor assembly new? I’ve never seen those before.

The part in question is this: 

32291.png

11 hours ago, Jurss said:

What and where is that?

it's the 5 sided piece that all the rotor assemblies are attached to, with the central beam running up through a square hole in the centre.

I actually totally forgot about about the dedicated thread, where are are some better pics of the swashplate mechanism:

From what it seems, we'll get full collective and cyclic controls!

Edited by Krika99
Commentary on the helicopter mechanism

On those images it looks like this model almost perfectly balances out the unsolveable equation of visible-but-hidden-technic-inside + functions + educational behavior + playability + looks + motorization + kind-of-old-fashion/nostalgic-but-new. So i guess there will be a lot discussion about the license and the gear colors :X

I'm surprised by how insecure the attachment of the new 5-way liftarm appears to be (given the weight of the rotor). If I'm interpreting it right, the square hole in the centre slides onto the vertical liftarm, and the only thing holding it in place vertically and stopping it from wobbling is the offset connector just below it and the offset axle running vertically through one of the holes. Judging by the other arms, it is a pin hole not an axle hole, but who knows? Perhaps the square hole is a very tight fit, which would help with wobble?

I agree, the evidence in favour of genuine cyclic now looks very strong! :thumbup:

Let's try to keep the conversation in the dedicated topic. Makes it easier to follow the discussion.

11 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Apparently there's a "Monster Jam Collection" set. I'm guessing it includes all trucks released thus far and I'm really hoping it doesn't mean that TLG is done with the Monster Jam subtheme.

I want see bone shaker in next line but also I want end of monster jam line. I want see old on-road pull back cars like dragster, F1, hot road.

58 minutes ago, Timorzelorzworz said:

Does anybody know what happened to the number 42142 this year? It is still missing.

I know, I saw it on the milk carton this morning.

Actually, I'm hoping for a surprise/not announced set for October (as was the case for Land Rover?). So who knows.. TLG is doing a bit better at set leaks

25 minutes ago, mortenm said:

Liebherr crawler crane? :sweet:

The Liebherr is listed as 42146... so maybe a surprise for October or another skipped number (like 42085...87).