23 minutes ago, LvdH said:

Same as the bucket for theĀ Arocs andĀ Volvo EW160. Not a new one as far as I can tell.

Ah, I see. I was hoping for the shorter 2x2 cylinder. :(

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Not really sure about the added yellow to the heli. But I will probably get used to it.

That's also what I thought when I first saw it. Three main colours in a single model is to me a bit too much; other examples of that are the 9398 crawler and the 42128 tow truck.

About the helicopter: The neon yellow is an annoying distraction but I guess I could replace it with yellow of red. Can't say I love the official colour scheme, and judging from the catalog photo the shaping doesn't remind me of the real thing that much. Still, it's a helicopter with a fancy new 5-blade rotor and probably a dumb hub so I think I'll get it.

About the waste handler: Looks nice-ish, I like the alternate coloured pneumatic cylinders, though combining them with yellow ones in MOCs is a bit harder. Apparently there's no short large cylinder, which has been absent for many years now, I'd hoped to see it again. Going to get that one too I think.

About the Ferrari: Seems like a great parts pack, and I've never built a supercar so I think I'll buy that one too when I'll get a nice discount.

All in all, this year isn't great, but isn't that bad either. Better than last year when only the Tow truck was something really good (I also bought the excavator and the hovercraft but those didn't get me nearly as excited.)

Not sure why, but I really was expecting that Material handler to be blue, not black and red?

Shame they did not release the small cylinder in black, seems a bit lazy. Ā Other than that, I like it. Ā the base looks a little thin on bricks, but still a good set.

Ā 

Helicopter, I need some time to study, hopefully this will be function over beauty. Ā 

Ah, after a "long time" I finally see some real/proper Technic sets pics. Really like the 42144- looks a like a "spiritual successor" to the Big Red. Really do not like yellow in the white-red tone of the 42145 beauty, that's a minor complaint from me though.

I have some worries-Ā the errors in the manuals of 42143 should not pass onto the other H2 sets as well.

15 hours ago, AVCampos said:

That's also what I thought when I first saw it. Three main colours in a single model is to me a bit too much; other examples of that are the 9398 crawler and the 42128 tow truck.

I feels like a love child of two other helicopters, one of them being the 9396Ā :tongue:

Why are people disliking the yellow on the helicopter? It's the part I like the most of all :D And I even think it looks realistic here. It's not overdone.

But if you all don't like it, I'm eagerly awaiting thoseĀ shinyĀ new parts on bricklink (assuming it's neon yellow)Ā :D

I admit that, as an M:Tron fanboy, I really like the new Vibrant Yellow (it glows under UV! :excited:) and want more parts in it, but in the helicopter I could do without either it or one of the other colours. Not that it matters much, though, since sets to me are parts packs and technique tutorials, not final models.

Same here and such I always welcome new colors and recolors of older parts. Something I noticed, as a Technic builder that also dabbles in system as well. Almost all the new City sets this year had some parts of this new neon yellow color included, so there are quite the fair number of different bricks in this color. Not used to seeing a new color become so widely available right from release.

I wasn't paying much attention to the Technic waveĀ this year, but I quite like that helicopter! I'm assuming that the rotor will be motorized? And from what I've read it's supposed to retail for 200$, and will have 2001 pieces. Is this all accurate? Thanks!

7 hours ago, TheKingPorg said:

I wasn't paying much attention to the Technic waveĀ this year, but I quite like that helicopter! I'm assuming that the rotor will be motorized? And from what I've read it's supposed to retail for 200$, and will have 2001 pieces. Is this all accurate? Thanks!

Apparently yes. Rumours are it has motorised rotors with simple battery box, multifunction gearbox for rotors, landing gear, sliding door and winch, another two speed gearbox for the rotors (slow to see the blade functions working and fast to generate a bit of wind), and best of all apparently it has full cyclic and collective controls of the 5 bladed main rotor. Those are the rumours from promobricks who are usually pretty accurate.Ā 

Ā 

17 hours ago, allanp said:

Apparently yes. Rumours are it has motorised rotors with simple battery box, multifunction gearbox for rotors, landing gear, sliding door and winch, another two speed gearbox for the rotors (slow to see the blade functions working and fast to generate a bit of wind), and best of all apparently it has full cyclic and collective controls of the 5 bladed main rotor. Those are the rumours from promobricks who are usually pretty accurate.Ā 

Ā 

Sounds awesome! Thanks for the info.

Guys, although there is no official words from TLG, it seems the 42146 won't be coming out this year. And with that I am afraid this year is one of those underwhelming (a bit, least to say) Technic years. I think TLG could make a compensation for that by releasing a set surprisingly (which is unlikely).

And, the 42142 at this point is still an unknown face. I guess it will see its release towards the end of this year/beginning of next year.

21 minutes ago, thekoRngear said:

Guys, although there is no official words from TLG, it seems the 42146 won't be coming out this year. And with that I am afraid this year is one of those underwhelming (a bit, least to say) Technic years. I think TLG could make a compensation for that by releasing a set surprisingly (which is unlikely).

And, the 42142 at this point is still an unknown face. I guess it will see its release towards the end of this year/beginning of next year.

2020 was a pretty bad year too with the cancelled Osprey and no sets that I would consider above the average (perhaps the Sian and Ducati but that's it). 2021 had the magnificent Tow Truck and the Cat and Zetros were of course huge flagship sets, but if you're not into C+ there's not much else going on there either as the car sets were quite underwhelming and the rest is small stuff, which is always there. This year we already had the very nice ATV and now we're alsoĀ getting what looks like the best helicopter ever and the waste handler as another set with pneumatics. It's nothing like 2016 but it's something.

Don't know if you guys have noticed this, but new images of both the Airbus and Material Handler have been revealed in the "Play Zone" of the Lego website:

Helicopter link:Ā https://www.lego.com/en-us/kids/sets/technic/airbus-h175-rescue-helicopter-ce96490ea71b29f6bb900d7a38b2dc48

Material Handler link:Ā https://www.lego.com/en-us/kids/sets/technic/material-handler-189e45881d0440a79cf4533bb826880bĀ 

I'm getting used to the chopper color scheme. Wasn't aware that it's neon yellow. It's starting to grow on me. I will get that one for sure.

Are you sure it's neon (I'm still undecided between calling it "neon" or "vibrant")? It appears regular yellow to me, but, then again, the photography process is a bit ambiguous.

8 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

Are you sure it's neon (I'm still undecided between calling it "neon" or "vibrant")? It appears regular yellow to me, but, then again, the photography process is a bit ambiguous.

I am not entirely sure. It's based on @Erik Leppen's comment who wasn't entirely sure eitherĀ :laugh:

From what I can tell from the helicopter photos, it will indeed have collective pitch (much like the original 852 helicopter in 1977), but what people are calling "cyclic" will really be a tilting head like 8856.Ā  I'd love to be proved wrong though.Ā  It looks a bit like there might be a real swashplate.Ā  Depending on the length of the control horn, they might even compensate for gyroscopic precession!Ā  Even then we'd be a long way from a fully articulated rotor without a flap hinge or a drag hinge, but we're starting to get as close as we as is reasonable with LEGO.

19 hours ago, Blakbird said:

...but what people are calling "cyclic" will really be a tilting head like 8856...ļ»æ

...It looks a bit like there might be a real swashplateļ»æ...

Are these two sentences not contradictory? Just look at the photos or set description on TLG's site, there's a proper swashplate.

7 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Are these two sentences not contradictory? Just look at the photos or set description on TLG's site, there's a proper swashplate.

Yes, they are contradictory, that was the point.Ā  I can't tell whether the swashplate is real or not.Ā  The arrow on the official photo from LEGO makes it look like the whole rotor tilts.

13 hours ago, Blakbird said:

Yes, they are contradictory, that was the point.Ā  I can't tell whether the swashplate is real or not.Ā  The arrow on the official photo from LEGO makes it look like the whole rotor tilts.

Yeah this is a bit confusing, but honestly I think it's just a tricky function to show in a single image, so they put the arrow there to differentiate between the different ways the blades tilt. I'm thinking the rotor head does notĀ tilt, or at least is not intended to tilt. But apparently the 2 speed gearbox is there to allow you to see the function working in slow speed, and generate a small draft in high speed. I think itĀ would only take a smallĀ bit of liftĀ to tilt the head slightly. But my guess right now is that it works like a proper swash plate, tilting the blades individually instead of the whole head.

But I have seen some real rotor heads that looks like they can tilt, I thinks it's called a teeter hinge? Not sure how that works as the blades can also tilt along their axis as usual.

9 minutes ago, allanp said:

But I have seen some real rotor heads that looks like they can tilt, I thinks it's called a teeter hinge? Not sure how that works as the blades can also tilt along their axis as usual.

That's probably used only for small rotors, as anything spinning doesn't like to have its orientation changed (due to conservation of angular momentum), and the larger the rotor the harder it is to change its orientation.

6 hours ago, allanp said:

Yes, a teeter hinge is a real thing for simple rotors.Ā  Robinson helicopters use it and so do the UH-1 and Bell 47.Ā  I'm pretty sure that is only for 2-blade rotors which makes the 8412 actually somewhat accurate.

My favorite rotor head is the 7-blade, fully articulated head on the CH-53E Super Stallion.