9 hours ago, allanp said:

For the 1:8 UCS car I'd also be fine with it not being a Supercar/hypercar. It could be a Ram t-rex or Merc 6x6 or whatever but in the same 1:8 scale as the other cars. As long as the transmission gets more realistic with new pieces and the steering feels much better (better geometry and a discrete HOG please!) I don't really care what it is.

I agree that something else, like an off-roader, would be awesome, but if the 1:8 scale were to be maintained we would likely end up with a much larger set, since trucks are bigger than cars. For example, see my 1:8.3 Ram TRX:

800x600.jpg

It's not exactly small--it even marked the first time I ran out of friction pins in a MOC!

I really would have liked to see a LR Defender successor, with the cool 4x4 body, and the appeal of a gearbox. I also agree that some new gears could make for a much simpler, more realistic gearbox, that would be more reliable.

6 hours ago, Technicallism said:

It’s still too early to talk about what it is until 2022, but I’m happy if they make Bentley Continental GT in LGB color. :)

LBG! LBG! LBG!

I wonder if they'll do a Porsche Taycan anytime soon. After all, big gas-guzzling supercars are increasingly being seen as irresponsible, and Lego may find it profitable to play to that belief. The sad side-affect would be the loss of complex transmissions (At least the Taycan is currently the only mass-produced electric car with a gearbox, so we could at least have a basic 2-speed.)

Um, guys? There is a strong possibility that a $100 LEGO Technic Batmobile is coming out next year. Have you heard the news?

4 minutes ago, HydroWorld Outlook said:

Um, guys? There is a strong possibility that a $100 LEGO Technic Batmobile is coming out next year. Have you heard the news?

Never mind. I guess you have already. My apologies.

Edited by HydroWorld Outlook

15 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

I agree that something else, like an off-roader, would be awesome, but if the 1:8 scale were to be maintained we would likely end up with a much larger set, since trucks are bigger than cars. For example, see my 1:8.3

I wonder if they'll do a Porsche Taycan anytime soon. After all, big gas-guzzling supercars are increasingly being seen as irresponsible, and Lego may find it profitable to play to that belief. The sad side-affect would be the loss of complex transmissions (At least the Taycan is currently the only mass-produced electric car with a gearbox, so we could at least have a basic 2-speed.)

I kind of find this amusing. Lego (and MOCs) started producing RC vehicles wayy before the EV vehicles even become a thing. And now that all the real life vehicles tend to have gone EVfied Lego seem to keep the spirit/legend of huge transmission non RC 1:8 supercars with the UCS super/hypercars :3 BTW I guess next year's 1:8 should have even more realistic brake caliper- for sure :pir-tongue:

BTW I think Lego is currently toying around with all the prototypes of upcoming 1:8 scale car. Wondering if there is even a possibility of leak/rumors of that development. 

Edited by thekoRngear

Well, for all their disadvantages, ICE cars are more interesting mechanically... that's also why TLG made the "tree-killer" 42080 and the "people-killer" 42113.

But I'm not expecting to see working brakes in official LEGO sets: they depend on intentionally wearing down parts on each other.

On 9/26/2021 at 12:51 PM, allanp said:

For the 1:8 UCS car I'd also be fine with it not being a Supercar/hypercar. It could be a Ram t-rex or Merc 6x6 or whatever but in the same 1:8 scale as the other cars. As long as the transmission gets more realistic with new pieces and the steering feels much better (better geometry and a discrete HOG please!) I don't really care what it is.

Was about to say something like that too.

An 1:8 offfroader combining the 8+R sequential gearbox and the Lo-Hi one from Defender would be a nice evolution.

Also we could use with larger wheels (inside diameter of 9 studs), hubs (designed to couple with the new CV joints) and tyres to go with the 1:8 scale.

Some long travel, harder shock absorbers would be nice too.

Edited by Zerobricks

24 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

But I'm not expecting to see working brakes in official LEGO sets: they depend on intentionally wearing down parts on each other.

My bad, I wanted to mean "to make them look more realistic"

8 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

Some long travel, harder shock absorbers would be nice too.

Tops on my parts wishlist, was hoping the Ducati shocks would have fit the bill but no such luck.

Maybe something with some dampening action even.

Edited by Johnny1360

I like this second list (I hope I am not the only one! :wink:)

If The Batmobile it's true this open the door for more variety within the Technic line. It could be the first of many fiction vehicles and it would be good for us as customers. (There are tons of vehicles from video games or movies I would like to see in Technic)  

A Formula E would be nice and it could be a return of Formula cars. It's been a while since the last Formula 1 technic set (2022 F1 will renew the entire design of the cars and this could be a good opportunity for TLG)

Finally the 18+ is always something to look at (specially at that price range) And I don't lose my hope to see a new Pneumatics backhoe... maybe a 18+ one? 

10 minutes ago, A Great Builder said:

It could be the first of many fiction vehicles

Actually, the 42111 is a fictional vehicle... kinda.

16 hours ago, AVCampos said:

Well, for all their disadvantages, ICE cars are more interesting mechanically... that's also why TLG made the "tree-killer" 42080 and the "people-killer" 42113.

True. And I don't think ICE cars are going away anytime soon either. With current battery technology being where it is for electric cars, it's too expensive and not good enough just yet. It's getting better but in the UK they want to ban new ICE cars by 2030 and I just don't see it happening that fast.

9 minutes ago, allanp said:

True. And I don't think ICE cars are going away anytime soon either. With current battery technology being where it is for electric cars, it's too expensive and not good enough just yet. It's getting better but in the UK they want to ban new ICE cars by 2030 and I just don't see it happening that fast.

Current electric cars are definitely good enough to replace vast majority of normal cars (not heavy equipment such as long-haul trucks). The price is still a problem, but that will change too as manufacturing numbers increase and proper aftermarket forms. I wouldn't be at all surprised if manufacture ICE-cars in the Europe would mostly stop by 2030. In Finland new registrations of electric cars are increasing explosively while registrations of diesel- and gasoline-powered cars are going down in similar numbers, and people here are notoriously stubborn in keeping with their old cars.

But yeah, it's true that electric cars aren't as interesting when transformed into Lego form, so I wonder what TLG will do about this.

6 hours ago, howitzer said:

Current electric cars are definitely good enough to replace vast majority of normal cars (not heavy equipment such as long-haul trucks). The price is still a problem, but that will change too as manufacturing numbers increase and proper aftermarket forms. I wouldn't be at all surprised if manufacture ICE-cars in the Europe would mostly stop by 2030. In Finland new registrations of electric cars are increasing explosively while registrations of diesel- and gasoline-powered cars are going down in similar numbers, and people here are notoriously stubborn in keeping with their old cars.

But yeah, it's true that electric cars aren't as interesting when transformed into Lego form, so I wonder what TLG will do about this.

Agreed, although the pricing is still a problem and also the battery range needs more efficiency. 

Since it is building blocks, there could potentially be as much exciting segments when building a RC 1:8 scale supercar. The brunojj1 supercar is a very good example. I do not know if it upsets someone, if not more than 50% of the build then close to 50% of building a 1:8 supercar is building the body and completing the chassis. After building both the Sian and Brunojj supercar I can tell they both offered amazing level of complexity in terms of body detailing. Lego and others probably will always have ways to keep the builds challenging and interesting.

Spoiler

Since Lego want the big 1:8 cars to be display queens anyways they will always find ways to put more details to make up for the lacking of ICE level excitement such as requiring extreme level of attention when building a cup-holder in between the rear seats of future 1:8 scales :pir-tongue:

Edited by thekoRngear

12 hours ago, allanp said:

You're not wrong in BEV's being far too expensive for mass adoption at the moment. But the current battery technology is most definitely there.  I do agree that ICE cars won't be going away anytime soon (they'll be a used market for some time), but i also think you're going to be in for a shock (excuse the pun), if you don't see the ban on the sale of new ICE cars in the UK, coming into effect by 2030. 

Personally i think LEGO should start to embrace this new market, with their Technic 1:8 scale cars/vehicles.  True it may not be as mechanically interesting what with the lack of fake engines and complex gearboxes, (as interesting as they are, i've always thought the gearboxes in the LEGO supercars and other mocs, look a bit daft where they're so big. I know it's the nature of the beast, but still..).  Having said all that, trying to make BEV based models interesting isn't an easy task.  I think what i'd like to see though, is LEGO packaging the battery boxes/electric hubs as a slim unit, to try and take the same approach as the battery cells found in such vehicles.  Maximising the packaging advantages (skateboard chassis'), and increasing interesting features (active aero when it comes to supercars, and motorised interiors and doors when it comes to SUV's etc).  I think those aspects of a model/build could still be quite interesting. Also we'd still have suspension and wheel geometry to play with. 

You still have to find a way to produce enough electricity to charge all those batteries. It will also require never before seen amounts of money invested in infrastructure for power distribution.

10 minutes ago, zoo said:

You still have to find a way to produce enough electricity to charge all those batteries. It will also require never before seen amounts of money invested in infrastructure for power distribution.

And mass charging stations and/or fast charge technonolgy. In my country you are guranteed to stay in a cold winter forest with empty battery if dare to leave a city at electric car. 

Returning back to Lego, ICE cars with pure mechanic inside have no competitors, as electric ones are only PU-powered (and expensive) or just have no drive train. While ICE still provide various schemes from simpliest wheel-diff-engine to most complex ever gearboxes. This way works the best still and concidering recent patent for rotary gearbox swith, TLG will keep following it for a long time. 

20 minutes ago, zoo said:

I believe this is a common misconception. Not so much about being able to produce enough electricity to power them all, as that's an obvious issue that needs to be addressed in time for mass adoption, but as far as infrastructure goes, apparently it's quite easy (and relatively cheap), to add charge points to existing street lamps. And i predict heavy investment of increasing public charge points in the near future (depending on which country you live).  

Apologies to the mods for taking the discussion wildly off topic. 

18 minutes ago, Dazzzy said:

I believe this is a common misconception. Not so much about being able to produce enough electricity to power them all, as that's an obvious issue that needs to be addressed in time for mass adoption, but as far as infrastructure goes, apparently it's quite easy (and relatively cheap), to add charge points to existing street lamps. And i predict heavy investment of increasing public charge points in the near future (depending on which country you live).  

Apologies to the mods for taking the discussion wildly off topic. 

Just to clarify, I am talking about the need to strengthen mainlines to be able to transfer electricity from powerplants. At least here in Sweden we have this problem already where the power distribution network isn't strong enough to deliver enough electricity to companies wanting to starting or expanding their business in the southern parts of the country just because a lot of our electricity is produced in the north. This is not in the future but right now, and the move from ICE vehicles to electric has just started.

Sorry for going of topic, I am done now. :)

17 minutes ago, zoo said:

Just to clarify, I am talking about the need to strengthen mainlines to be able to transfer electricity from powerplants. At least here in Sweden we have this problem already where the power distribution network isn't strong enough to deliver enough electricity to companies wanting to starting or expanding their business in the southern parts of the country just because a lot of our electricity is produced in the north. This is not in the future but right now, and the move from ICE vehicles to electric has just started.

Sorry for going of topic, I am done now. :)

Thank you for clarifying the issues faced over there in Sweden. :thumbup:   I just hope that in the coming years and the inevitable mass adoption of BEV's, that solutions can somehow be found for your country, and other parts of the world facing similar issues.  Obviously there's some parts of the world where ICE vehicles will always remain king, due to harsh climate conditions, and poor (if any) infrastructure at all.  

My original reply was to @allanp who's a UK resident (like myself), so maybe i should've clarified that point more clearly.  An interesting fact is that here in the UK we currently have more electric charge point locations, than there are petrol station locations. Obviously it's not as simple as that, as petrol stations can handle a larger flow of customers quicker, but i was still quite surprised to learn we are making big steps towards electrification in my country. 

Again, apologies to the mods (and other members), for somewhat derailing the thread. 

On topic: I'm really looking forward to the Technic Batmobile!  So i hope the rumours about that are true, also i'm intrigued to know what the transforming vehicle could be.  

I expect we'll eventually start seeing model motors in sets, spun by differentials (Not all EVs have 'em, but some do.). Whether or not this would be specialized parts remains to be seen--I recall someone built a nice one in TC19. It would hurt to lose gearboxes, though. It's really the 1:8 supercars' only claim to mechanical complexity!

5 hours ago, Dazzzy said:

On topic: I'm really looking forward to the Technic Batmobile!  So i hope the rumours about that are true, also i'm intrigued to know what the transforming vehicle could be.  

Great to hear I am not the only one who wants to see the Batmobile! in regards to the transforming car my guess is for 2 motors (trust and steering) and a function that allows the car to "lift" something upon crashing a wall. 

Sweet tooth from Twisted Metal Black?