Hello,

I've been wondering wich would be the best set to gather basic PU components so I have put together the following table from bricklink & Eurobricks reviews. I hope you find it useful

Set number Name Parts Price RRP (€) Hub 4 ports
(22127-clip) (85824-screw)
PU Motor
XL
PU Motor
L
WeDo Motor
M (no position sensor)
PU Motor Angular Large Planetary
Hubs
Longest Lin. Actuators CV ball joints Wheels
42140 App-Controlled Transformation Vehicle 772 130 1 2             96 standard tracks & rubber attachments
42129 4x4 Mercedes-Benz Zetros Trial Truck 2110 Parts 300 1   3 1   4   3 Log + 7 std 4 Medium
Claas Tires
42099 4x4 X-treme Off-Roader 958 Parts 230 1 2 1     4   8 4 Claas tires
42114 6x6 Volvo Articulated Hauler 2193 Parts 250 1 1 1   1   2   6 Unimog tires
42109 App-Controlled Top Gear Rally Car 463 Parts 135 1 1 1           2 boring tires &
2 ugly tires
42100 Liebherr R 9800 4108 Parts 450 2 3 4       6   104 grey
Threads
42124 Off-Road Buggy 374 Parts 130 1   2           4 new spiky tires
42131 CAT D11T BULLDOZER 3854 Parts 450 1   2   2 2   2 116 yellow
Large Threads

There are several interesting discussions on set prices and value for money across the forum (one in the the recent and excellent review of the 42131-cat-d11t-bulldozer ) and I am not going to dare to suggest any of them. It will depend on your current collection and your future plans but the facts to make your own decision are there.

Robot inventor 51515 is a bird of different fur, so I am not considering here, but could be a possibility for some.

Edited by bitbamboo

To summarize, basing on the number of motors and hubs per 1 currency unit, the champions are:

1. 42124 Off-Road buggy, as the set with lowest possible absolute cost, and which provides the lowest price for 1 hub + 2 motors (two identical ones!) + some suspension parts, so you got not only basic PU parts for the lowest price but also a set to build some other buggy-like RC machines.
  2. 42109 App-Controlled Top Gear Rally Car - it provides a similar number of PU components, but: is more (a bit) expensive, provides XL motor instead of L, which is not really so required for basic models and nothing more. No Tasty tires, no suspension, nothing...
  3. 42100 Liebherr R 9800 - surprisingly it comes as the third in PU components/price ratio. Due to a monstrous number of motors and hubs, so you need really a lot of them - it's your choice. You won't get their number at a lower cost even buying multiple minor sets.
  4. 42099 4x4 X-treme Off-Roader. This set is not such a bargain as upper ones, but still able to provide you some possibilities for off-road capable RC trucks with several XL and L motors and a lot of suspension + planetary hubs parts.

Other sets are significantly higher in PU parts / total price ratio, so I wouldn't recommend them as PU parts sources...

Additionally, I need to add that the set 42131 CAT D11T BULLDOZER beat all the thresholds, and I would never recommend you buying it as "only PU parts source" never.
With its number of components, if you really need to get 2 angular motors, it will be better to get 2x 42114 6x6 Volvo Articulated Hauler for a similar price but with a significantly higher number of motors and hubs.

Edited by Void_S

@Maaboo35 Sure!

For me it will be the 42129 Zetros when it comes down a little. I have the 42039 so the Bright Green bits won't be useless (not as the beatiful but extremely limitted Bright Light Orange) and I am looking for the new suspension parts; I already have Claas so the new tires are attractive too.

I am not a big fan of using AL - they are soooooo slow - , but I agree with @Void_S that Liebherr is the best value for a "newcomer". At the same time is the bigger and more daunting one so I doubt it would had been my trird to fith Technic purchase...

Edited by bitbamboo

26 minutes ago, bitbamboo said:

I agree with @Void_S that Liebherr is the best value for a "newcomer"

I would say a bit extended: the Buggy is better for a "light newcomer" who may need just a pair of motors ("a simply some RC set").

While Liebherr really has "a full set of motors and hubs" to build anything, including smaller PU sets - mind that the official Control+ application will work with various combinations of motors, so connecting only L+L motors, or L+XL you may fully enjoy driving Buggy or Rally car models with all features for free.

I already have the 4*4 off roader as my only PU set so far. It's sat in my shelf as Rocky, and I don't see it changing any time soon as Rocky is just so good.

Kind of a sin in my eyes though, leaving parts sat in one model.

Anyway, the next part that interests me is the small angular motor, as it seems like the perfect servo that's been missing forever (PF servos are just junk and anyway too big). I guess I'll next buy a PU set when it comes with that one.

3 minutes ago, amorti said:

it seems like the perfect servo that's been missing forever (PF servos are just junk and anyway too big)

I tend to disagree with this opinion because of actually bigger size of PU/C+ angular motor (it really is!). As for a "junk", the PF servos may have some failures (but I didn't face them ever) but we have PU/C+ motors not so long to conclude how bad/good they are yet.

I think that you should make a note that the WeDo M Motor doesn't include a rotation sensor. That makes it about half the value within the lego price policy.

1 hour ago, Void_S said:

I tend to disagree with this opinion because of actually bigger size of PU/C+ angular motor (it really is!). As for a "junk", the PF servos may have some failures (but I didn't face them ever) but we have PU/C+ motors not so long to conclude how bad/good they are yet.

Are you sure you're thinking of the small one (3x5x4) rather than the medium one (3x4x(8?))?

7 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Are you sure you're thinking of the small one (3x5x4) rather than the medium one (3x4x(8?))?

I don't think he is.

The upcoming Small Angular Motor is really a game changer for smaller MOCs that need to steer.

I stand by PF servos being junk. Inside they drag a stainless steel spring across copper/brass tracks, and so it is always going to fail after a relatively short amount of use. Add to that, they're now discontinued and cost 80€ each on bricklink... Yeh... Junk.

I would be inclined for the Volvo hauler. Why?
-Is not very expensive
-has 3 different motors 

-Has 2 long actuators, which are always welcome. 

-The gearbox places this set not among those that are just a scafold with the motors in the closest location to the action

Next, the Liebherr is a good option because the always mentioned good price for the number of PU elements. And, besides, is massive!

17 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

The medium one. The small wasn't presented yet in the Control+ family, as least among official Technic Sets. 

4 hours ago, bitbamboo said:

Robot inventor 51515 is a bird of different fur, so I am not considering here, but could be a possibility for some.

This was my first PU set, and it's awesome if you want to build MOCs and don't care for sets themselves that much. The only downsides are that there's only angular motors, while linear motors would be better for some applications, and that the assortment of other parts isn't that great. But the hub is better in every way (6 ports, rechargeable battery, grid display) than the Technic hub and with 4 motors and 2 sensors you'll have enough stuff to experiment with.

My choice for starting out with PU was the buggy, I thought it made the most sense to check out PU with and I still think I made the right decision. Not only for two L motors and Hub but also for those new tires and new Lift arms with alternating holes, the big gear wheel, two soft shocks, two hard shocks and the front suspension components. All stuff I have found very useful for other mocs. Also the new differential.

In fact, considering the price of other PU sets, I may actually pick up a second copy, if I can find one, they seem to be getting a little harder to find.

Edited by Johnny1360

7 hours ago, howitzer said:

This was my first PU set, and it's awesome if you want to build MOCs and don't care for sets themselves that much. The only downsides are that there's only angular motors, while linear motors would be better for some applications, and that the assortment of other parts isn't that great. But the hub is better in every way (6 ports, rechargeable battery, grid display) than the Technic hub and with 4 motors and 2 sensors you'll have enough stuff to experiment with.

It's actually surprising how simple it is in most models to replace the technic hub with the large technic/mindstorms hub. They are almost the same size.

I think that the mindstorms set is more open for mocs/ building stuff yourself. It's way more open/inviting for it. LEGO doesn't even promote the powered up app for control+ sets.

Regular L motors can be used as servo motors with brickcontroller 2 app, isn't it?

My choice is 42124 + 42129, 

Pros:

• The new 81mm tractor tires and the white wheel
  • 4 hubs
  • Not very costly

Cons:

• lack of XL motor, but it seems to have little difference with L motor, also I can buy a couple of them separately

Also, I think the new differential is worth to be listed in the table since its price is still high now.

Edited by falconluan

40 minutes ago, falconluan said:

lack of XL motor, but it seems to have little difference with L motor, also I can buy a couple of them separately

Actually, having a choice between L+XL or L+L I would take the second, as a pair of equal motors provides more possibilities for various use rather two different ones... Just my opinion.

16 hours ago, Tcm0 said:

It's actually surprising how simple it is in most models to replace the technic hub with the large technic/mindstorms hub. They are almost the same size.

I think that the mindstorms set is more open for mocs/ building stuff yourself. It's way more open/inviting for it. LEGO doesn't even promote the powered up app for control+ sets.

Indeed, also the 51515 set itself has instructions for 5 models which are very different from each other, demonstrating the versatility of the set. Unless you have almost no other Technic parts in your collection, I wouldn't really even consider any other set as a PU starting point, except maybe if you can't afford anything bigger than 42109/42124.

42100 (Liebherr 9800) can easily be found for less than €350 so it's not really a fair comparison against for example the 42131 (CAT) which is just new.

26 minutes ago, m00se said:

42100 (Liebherr 9800) can easily be found for less than €350 so it's not really a fair comparison against for example the 42131 (CAT) which is just new.

It it not, for sure, but even having them both for 350 EUR at a shelf during some sale, Liebherr still have many more PU componenets...

On 9/16/2021 at 1:57 PM, amorti said:

Anyway, the next part that interests me is the small angular motor, as it seems like the perfect servo that's been missing forever (PF servos are just junk and anyway too big). I guess I'll next buy a PU set when it comes with that one.

I am hoping for that too, although I am a bit discouraged by the comment on that small angular motor's description on lego.com that says "ideal for applications that require _low_ torque", or something like that. It could still work for smaller builds, but may be weak for larger ones designed for rough terrain (like rock crawlers), those do require some torque to steer properly. But I also hope they will arrive in technic sets as well (was kind of hoping that the Zetros would include something like that for the diff locker).

As for the original question, I think the L motors are the most versatile (useful for steering as well, easier to build with), so sets with those may be better for a start.

On 9/17/2021 at 4:51 PM, howitzer said:

Indeed, also the 51515 set itself has instructions for 5 models which are very different from each other, demonstrating the versatility of the set. Unless you have almost no other Technic parts in your collection, I wouldn't really even consider any other set as a PU starting point, except maybe if you can't afford anything bigger than 42109/42124.

This option ranks higher in my thoughts than before. Thanks for pointing out

Fortunatelly, neither 42100 Liebher nor 42099 4x4 Off-Roader are among my top 3, so I have time to wait and see the 2022 lineup before making a decision. 

On 9/17/2021 at 10:27 AM, falconluan said:

Also, I think the new differential is worth to be listed in the table since its price is still high now.

I agree that the new differential casing is interesting, but not a game changer to me, I can cope with the old ones. If I were really interested Lego sells both through BnP: the grey casing 6285647 at 75c (aprox, varies per country) and the red gear 6285646 at 85c (aprox), adding delivery it would be below 3.5€ . Bricklink prices seems a bit off compared to this (2€ casing only)

While I am too heavily invested in PF (I still have L and servo motors new and sealed), if I were to venture into PU, I think the best point of entry would be 42124 for the 2 PU L motors and the new tires. All the other newer parts can be easily BrickLinked or through BnP.