Sign in to follow this  
kahir88

CDC2 Ancient Wonders: Halls of History

51474969518_b3f6dee244_c.jpg
- Alright, move! - shouted down the master scribes, to his apprentice, but the ladder didn't move at all. - Apprentice! Did you fell asleep again? - He reached in his pocket, to grab a pebble, and dropped it.
The pebble perfectly falls and hits the sleeping boy on his forehead. With a loud snort, he woke up, and lookup.
- I'm glad you are with us again Arnoult, now would you be kind, and move the ladder to the right... Right, Right! The other right! - His shout echoed in the dark corridors, as he grabbed tightly the ladder, and tried to protect the ink, from spilling out. - You imbecile! Gently! If the page will be ink-stained, I will skin you, and you will be the cover of the reissued Illustrated Encyclopedia of Crime and Punishment! Do you know how long it took to brother Bertran, to draw that Decorative capital initial?
The Boy looked up. He already saw the raven-shaped K letter on the top of the page. Soon, he could draw one of them too. But first, he must survive the terrible fate of the apprentice.
- It took three fu...
- It took three full days, to draw it! - interrupted the old man on top of the ladder, as he holds a bunch of paper in his hand, and dipped his pen in the ink. - We are already behind schedule! The fourth book is upon us! We need to finish the third one soon as we could!
What a surprise! Ran through the thought in Arnoult's head. We are always behind schedule... He looked around in the Hall of History. Books, scrolls, maps, letters. An immeasurable amount of information about Historica. Kept in the dim darkness, of these halls, so the sun couldn't damage both the paper and the content. Letters, pictures, stories, and tales came here, from all of the kingdoms, so the folks down here, can register them, and safeguard them for posterity. In front of the Third Book, a large table take its place. Wast mountains were created with paper, books, and scrolls. And only three brave souls were tasked, to explore it, and find the next topic for the following pages.
- Damn it! - cursed the master from above. - The inkpot is almost empty, in the middle of the sentence... Where is an apprentice when I'm in a hurry!
- A minute grandmaster! - came the answer, from a moving tower of books. - Just need to put this down...
As the young apprentice arrived at the table, he gently dropped down the books. The old table creaked, and the three old scribes peeked out from their books. They look liked the mountainers, who reached a higher point of their journey, to realize: there are still more mountains ahead for them...
- Psst! - came hissing from behind Arnoult. As he turned around, the young boy stood behind him. He must be lost in his mind and stared blankly, didn't noticed the other boy.
- I saw you always holding the ladder, to the master. How long it took to write these big books.
- It depends, how often we receive content. - Arnoult leaned on the ladder next to him, pretending he knows everything. 
- And why are they so huge? 
- That's easy. The master is blind as a mole. - he smirked. - And he didn't want to wear glass... Ouch!
Again, pain struck his head. He again looked up, just to get hit by another one on his forehead.
- Unlucky for you Arnoult, my ears sharp as a fox's. Don't hold up apprentice Dan fulfilling his task! - the master put the remaining stones into his pocket, and look to the other boy: - Don't just stand there! Move, or we will never finish the Third Book!

51473955302_368912a535_c.jpg

and without Book III.

Spoiler

51475444174_701fc3607c_c.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I first read about this challenge, I asked myself: What to came up with. Started wondering about huge beasts, great ancient places, mystical locations. In that thinking, I came up with another realization: Everybody will build their entry around what he likes. Those, who like magic and mysticism will create places with ancient great powers. Those, who like buildings will create ruins and palaces of old times. And me? Well, I like the lore, the history, to tell a tale not only with words but with pictures, little everyday happenings captured in a scene.

That is why I choose, to create the Halls of History. To show you not only bildings and landscapes could be ancient, but history and lore too. And also a little humor and 4th wall-breaking. :)

Hope you like it! C&C are welcome.  

Edited by kahir88

Dude, this is brilliant *oh2*, all of it!  The whole scene is packed and stacked with detail, the architecture is compelling (I like that the bookshelves are carved into the rock) and the concept is fantastic! Also, books that massive really shouldn't work in a minifigure setting, but you've integrated them so smoothly, as if it's completely normal, and your canonical justification is hilarious! :laugh: But the addional layer, the 4th wall element of those books... well played man, well played! :smug::thumbup::thumbup:

Epic!  I love when somebody comes at a build prompt from a strange/fun angle and executes flawlessly.  This is one of those times!  Lots of awesome packed into a reasonable-sized footprint here.  :wub:

Great build!  I like how chaotic the room is.  The three large books are fun take on where the GoH is at the moment.

Oooh, I love that build...The idea is briliant, and the realisation is perfect. The giant books are wonderful, and I love how packed with details the shelves on the back are. 

The story is great too - and so glad to read more about the thoughts you put behind! 

To reiterate : I LOVE it.

This is SUCH a good idea, the giant books are epic and I love the scroll covered table and all the stuff to spot as you look around, like the mouse with his cheese!  I definitely enjoyed the story too.  Great stuff!

Love this. Really cool idea and great execution. My first thought was that these were halflings or pixies or something, hence the size of the books. But it’s even more epic for the scale of GOH to have them giant!

As others have said, excellent clutter. I like the angle of the bookshelf on the right. It’s deceptive. What angle is it actually on?

Oh, I love that! It's super polished and detailed, and the figs totally bring it to life! The parchments, the arches, and the angles in the walls, plus all the textures in the stonework are top notch, really charming build man! 

On 9/15/2021 at 3:24 PM, jtooker said:

Great build!  I like how chaotic the room is

Just like my table during building. :)

On 9/17/2021 at 10:03 PM, _TLG_ said:

Very nice MOC! Is it possible that I have seen it in Budapest?

No, it was displayed in my store during August. I have already disassembled it. I always try, to bring my MOCS in the store, to show the customers what can they build from Lego. If you are interested I can send you a message, if I bring something in the store. :)

On 9/18/2021 at 10:03 AM, Eyrezer said:

What angle is it actually on?

I used hinges. The right wall is straight, and the arch, with Book I and II. was turned with the hinges. The floor got a gap there, (this happens when you push yourself away from the table while sitting.) So I used this little 1 plate deep gap, to put there a 1x1 stud so the other side of the hinged arch won't move further. :)

And Thank you, for the comments, it gave me again some support, to continue this hobby of mine. Slowly I would find the right way, to build and also take pictures (and edit them).

This huge book concept was in my mind, for several years, but never had a chance to show it, or just maybe in freebuild. But I'm glad all of you liked it. :)

Outstanding!  The 4th wall breaking is hilarious, and I love how you have a juxtaposition of style here.  All the little details are well done, and seeing the detail even with Book III removed is great.  Fantastic work!

The giant books are awesome, and the little details scattered throughout the bookshelves and the table are great! Funny references in the story too :grin:

:rofl: :iamded_lol: Can't say how much I love this idea and your execution of it! :wub:  Absolutely brilliant idea to make the lore of Historica the wonder in itself and the Books pun is just too good! :roflmao:  Loved the story as well, and the clutter and faces of those scribes at their work are perfectly done too!  Great stuff!