Recommended Posts

The Guilds of Historica 10th Anniversary Collectible Minifigures

By Henjin_Quilones

 

51470264138_7b934042c7_c.jpg

 

Avalonia:

Benjamin Stenlund
Chronicler, poet, and philosopher from the Royal Guild of Letters in Albion

51307645020_a9bda19e6e_z.jpg
"No, I don't do autobiography."

 

Quickroot
Butterfly-loving Grent of the Enchanted Forest

51305895022_f6ee251fda_z.jpg
"I am Grent?"

 

Ayriel Greenbough
Centaur princess, who sings to the birds while she frolics in the meadows

51307358184_1d71bb21a7_z.jpg
"You want turtledoves? I've got twenty! But who cares, no big deal, I want more!"

 

Thom Mayne
Weather-beaten North Coast lobster fisherman and sea captain

51306830978_3a38c15294_z.jpg
"Catching lahbsters is a pinch, Ah mean, a cinch!"

 

Kaliphlin:

Kyrival Ithi
Humble innkeeper from Mophet, serving traders along the Oil Road some of the best distilled spirits

51313002330_07ba110ca4_z.jpg
"You want another round, Sweetcheeks?"

 

Jairus Hippokles
Cosmopolitan centaur hairstylist and barber from Petraea

51312727884_7103ec1ea5_z.jpg
"You'll be the mane attraction after I'm done with you!"

 

Kan Tork
Nomadic desert shaman from the Siccus Badlands

51312000526_f559de24aa_z.jpg
"The smoke from my green fire's the thickest, I'm the best shaman in the whole dry Siccus..."

 

Mitgardia:

Logh MacThror
Champion caber tosser and ax thrower

51311255292_59c571a0cf_z.jpg
"Ach, just a wee dram more o' this aqua vitae, thank you very much!"

 

Dworthi Forkbeard
Stunning dwarven beauty, once named Miss Mitgardia while representing Omurtag, and now a skilled miner

51312000346_fe4787ff35_z.jpg
"What are you looking at, Babyface?"

 

Jelsa
Ice witch from the Frozen Beyond who just wants her father to let her make her own decisions

51312201563_fbe17ddc48_z.jpg
"The cold never bothered me anyway."

 

Nocturnus:

Pickface
Purple hobgoblin from the magical crystal mines deep beneath the Rakath Mountains

51402562840_0d2817a058_z.jpg
"You know what would be a really kick-megablocks name? Pickface!"

 

Bautor de Sange
Noble vampire warrior from the city of Shadowmere and fifth cousin, twice removed, of Lord Vladivus

51400837042_5679bcf3f0_z.jpg
"I promise not to bite..."

 

Laeon of Katton-on-the-Marsh
Lionell who makes a living collecting mushrooms with his pet pig, Baekkyn, in the Moruth Swamplands

51401585291_e5bfd2c312_z.jpg
"I'm pretty sure the red one is edible, and the tan one poisonous. Truffle, what do you think?"

 

Varlyrio:

Hai Sairuk
Centaur archer and warrior from the western Wastelands

51401848253_247cd00bd4_z.jpg
"Looks like meat's back on the menu, boys!"

 

Moussi di Tacci
Bravo and thrill seeker from Illaryian, known to do most of his thinking with the tip of his sword

51400836707_c4e70948c1_z.jpg
"Stick her with the pointy end, er, I mean, stick them, ahem, haha..."

 

Noim Venqi
Gnome inventor and chemist, famous for having both of his eyebrows despite his advanced age

51402562365_5cf1327331_z.jpg
"Eurekaaaaouch!"

 

 

___________________________________________

I love collectible minifigures. I love minifigures in general. So of course this challenge is always one of my favorites. I went a bit centaur-heavy on this one, probably should have swapped one of them out for an elf, but oh well. Yes, I know there is still time. But my kids separated some of the figs and now the heads are lost somewhere in the massive pile of unsorted ABS on my building tables, so it's just too daunting to consider. Better luck to me next time, I guess.

Edited by Henjin_Quilones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Short comment :
:grin_wub:


Long comment :
They're so great! All lively, all visually perfect, and all very funny to read about. I'm especially a big fan of cheesy centaur princess Ayriel, gruff caber tosser Logh (the well named), and badass centaur Hai Sairuk. 
Excellent choice of legs for Logh's kilt, by the way. I guess that's from HP CMF Ginny? We Mitgardians enjoy classy tartan.

Thank you for having solved a critically important existential question : do female dwarves from Mitgardia sport beards? And also I'm curious : which torso did you use for Dworthi?

Some excellent puns too. 

 

Edited by Aurore
LogH. It's Logh, with a h - dammit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great figures!

I was this close, to make a treant-like creature, in my CMF. :D 

Good Job!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Warning: feedback ahead! :tongue: I want to like these, but I have some issues here and there. Let's start with what I like (and mild criticism). Dworthi; the appearance, the name, the lines you wrote; perfection! :roflmao::thumbup: I like the olive foliage around Quickroots head, though the other add-ons are a bit too much, imo. Jairus is a good-looking and creative figure and Bautor de Sange is good all around. I like Laeon an his mushrooms, the idea of a pig companion is great, but I don't like it's colour (personal thing). Same goes for the lila hobgoblin: solid combo, but personally dislike the colour. Finally, Hai Sairuk is a beautiful figure and reminds me of your CMF series for Bandari/land of Mwamba, which is a very good thing in my book.

Okay, there's one main issue that I have: I'm kind of missing the Guilds of Historica feel. Looking at the main image I'm struggling to tell the guilds apart. There are some individual figs that imo really miss the mark with regards to their guild: Benjamin Stenlund (I swear, it's not personal! I would place him in Nocturnus), Thom Mayne (Mitgardia, maybe?), Jelsa (Kali, if given a regular skin tone) and Noim Venqi (Kaliplin, I guess). Aditionally, many of your figures across the board are in the tan-brown spectrum, while the conventional guild flag colour codes are mostly absent. Overall, this results in a low contrast between the guilds.

To conclude, most of your figures are solid combo's but it could have been better as a GoH entry. Of course, now I am obliged to prove I can do better. :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A great series, I really love a lot of these characters.  Fun combo with that hair with the light blue bows and the massive beard :laugh:  I also really like the fisherman and the centaur hairstylist (no idea why I like that last one, actually).  Lots of other unique concepts like the pet pig and the log thrower!

Exetrius has a point, it wasn't always instantly obvious which ones are from which guild.  That isn't a big deal for me though, I enjoyed them a lot regardless. :grin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice minifigures, I like Varlyrio and Moussi di Tacci especially!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great collection!

Love the Bautor de Sange, Dworthi Forkbeard, Thom Mayne and Ayriel Greenbough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2021 at 1:10 PM, Exetrius said:

There are some individual figs that imo really miss the mark with regards to their guild: Benjamin Stenlund (I swear, it's not personal! I would place him in Nocturnus), Thom Mayne (Mitgardia, maybe?), Jelsa (Kali, if given a regular skin tone) and Noim Venqi (Kaliplin, I guess). Aditionally, many of your figures across the board are in the tan-brown spectrum, while the conventional guild flag colour codes are mostly absent.

My apologies for this bit, Henjin. I have been working on my own entry this weekend, and I now realise I've been unreasonably harsh here. Yes, it is possible to make figs with say, their guild's colours, but that's both a very tough and a very unrealistic contraint, because people simply wear an array of colours, in any place or guild. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting minifig part choices and hilarious descriptions. What more to ask?!?!?

Mossi di Tacci and Hippocles are my favorites!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2021 at 5:44 AM, Aurore said:

Short comment :
:grin_wub:


Long comment :
They're so great! All lively, all visually perfect, and all very funny to read about. I'm especially a big fan of cheesy centaur princess Ayriel, gruff caber tosser Logh (the well named), and badass centaur Hai Sairuk. 
Excellent choice of legs for Logh's kilt, by the way. I guess that's from HP CMF Ginny? We Mitgardians enjoy classy tartan.

Thank you for having solved a critically important existential question : do female dwarves from Mitgardia sport beards? And also I'm curious : which torso did you use for Dworthi?

Some excellent puns too. 

 

Thanks, Aurore! Yes, Logh’s kilt is from CMF Ginny. I was throwing some combos together and thought it could work for a kilt, if paired well. And I figured someone needed to make a bearded female dwarf at some point! I’m not sure what the torso is on Dworthi, though, but the arms at least are from the Batman CMF March Harriet.

On 9/14/2021 at 12:14 PM, kahir88 said:

Great figures!

I was this close, to make a treant-like creature, in my CMF. :D 

Good Job!

I wish you had a made a tree-person! I love tree persons of all sorts, myself. Though perhaps it would not have fit into the torture theme you had.

On 9/17/2021 at 7:10 AM, Exetrius said:

Warning: feedback ahead! :tongue: I want to like these, but I have some issues here and there. Let's start with what I like (and mild criticism). Dworthi; the appearance, the name, the lines you wrote; perfection! :roflmao::thumbup: I like the olive foliage around Quickroots head, though the other add-ons are a bit too much, imo. Jairus is a good-looking and creative figure and Bautor de Sange is good all around. I like Laeon an his mushrooms, the idea of a pig companion is great, but I don't like it's colour (personal thing). Same goes for the lila hobgoblin: solid combo, but personally dislike the colour. Finally, Hai Sairuk is a beautiful figure and reminds me of your CMF series for Bandari/land of Mwamba, which is a very good thing in my book.

Okay, there's one main issue that I have: I'm kind of missing the Guilds of Historica feel. Looking at the main image I'm struggling to tell the guilds apart. There are some individual figs that imo really miss the mark with regards to their guild: Benjamin Stenlund (I swear, it's not personal! I would place him in Nocturnus), Thom Mayne (Mitgardia, maybe?), Jelsa (Kali, if given a regular skin tone) and Noim Venqi (Kaliplin, I guess). Aditionally, many of your figures across the board are in the tan-brown spectrum, while the conventional guild flag colour codes are mostly absent. Overall, this results in a low contrast between the guilds.

To conclude, most of your figures are solid combo's but it could have been better as a GoH entry. Of course, now I am obliged to prove I can do better. :wink:

Thanks for the detailed feedback, Exetrius! First, I don’t like the color of the Laeon’s pig, either, but I don’t have one of the tan/brown ones, just the pink one. Sigh. Second, I can understand the wish for better guild coordination in their colors, but as you yourself have noted below, it’s just not practical to have everyone from Avalonia wearing dark and sand green, everyone from Nocty wearing black and red, etc. I mean, I’m American (‘Murica!) but I seldom wear red, white, and blue. On the 4th of July, maybe, but beyond that I prefer to wear greens and browns. So too, I imagine, most civilians of most lands across time. Soldiers would be different, perhaps, if they were a regulated army, but a civilian militia won’t even have color coordinated uniforms (or anything uniform at all, probably). But perhaps a main point I’d like to make with this CMF line is that there isn’t a clear distinction between the common folk of the different guilds; every race is found in every guild, in some quantity, and thus the guilds are more homogenous than perhaps we like to imagine. 

On 9/18/2021 at 8:47 AM, Kai NRG said:

A great series, I really love a lot of these characters.  Fun combo with that hair with the light blue bows and the massive beard :laugh:  I also really like the fisherman and the centaur hairstylist (no idea why I like that last one, actually).  Lots of other unique concepts like the pet pig and the log thrower!

Exetrius has a point, it wasn't always instantly obvious which ones are from which guild.  That isn't a big deal for me though, I enjoyed them a lot regardless. :grin:

Thanks, Geneva! I liked the beard with braided hair, too! It seemed too good to pass up. 

On 9/18/2021 at 10:15 AM, LegoMFP_David said:

These a great, its a shame Lego don't do a series like it

Thanks! TLG would release one fig per series of this sort, except they’d all be yellow skinned. 

On 9/19/2021 at 4:35 AM, _TLG_ said:

Nice minifigures, I like Varlyrio and Moussi di Tacci especially!

Thanks! I like him too. 

On 9/19/2021 at 5:50 AM, Robert8 said:

Great collection!

Love the Bautor de Sange, Dworthi Forkbeard, Thom Mayne and Ayriel Greenbough

Thank you! Those are some of my favorites, too!

17 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Great figbarf!

Thank ye, Cap’n!

17 hours ago, Exetrius said:

My apologies for this bit, Henjin. I have been working on my own entry this weekend, and I now realise I've been unreasonably harsh here. Yes, it is possible to make figs with say, their guild's colours, but that's both a very tough and a very unrealistic contraint, because people simply wear an array of colours, in any place or guild. 

Thanks for the apologies, Exetrius. It was unnecessary, since no feelings were hurt and no wrongs done, but a noble gesture nonetheless! I am pleased that you have come to see it from my point of view after trying to make your own series, because the colors really are an unrealistic constraint. Now if only you could be brought to see it my way for skin tones…

30 minutes ago, blackdeathgr said:

Interesting minifig part choices and hilarious descriptions. What more to ask?!?!?

Mossi di Tacci and Hippocles are my favorites!!!

Haha, thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

I wish you had a made a tree-person! I love tree persons of all sorts, myself. Though perhaps it would not have fit into the torture theme you had.

Hm...

Name: Firewood

Execution method, for "being in a wrong place"

"Really gruesome fate for the Avalonian tree-folk. Sometimes superstitious peasants near the forest borders hunt for tree-folk. They think if they chop them up, and toss them into the fire, the next harvest will be rich!

No one knows if this theory is possible, cause the family always disappears in strange circumstances... Like their house is filled with leaves tree branches and tree barks... 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank God this is not the official Minifigures series 22. I would have had to buy every one of them. And where put them all?

Really nice design!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work! I know I already commented about these on Flickr (so this might come off as redundant), but I really like the parts combos on all of these. They convey so much personality! 

My personal favorites are Quickroot (love the "foliage" behind his head), Ayriel Greenbough (love that parts combo), Thom Mayne, Logh Macthror (love that play on words), Dworthi Forkbeard, and Moussi di Tacci. Noim Venqi's expression is also priceless!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great series, Henjin. I know there are a couple of comments about the multiple centaurs but I for one would have liked to see two more - one for each of the guilds! The contrasting styles for each one are quite the feature. Plus I'm all about more non-humans too. Quickroot is my favourite, followed by the female dwarf. NPU with the ruffles as mushroom gills too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.