Jim

[REVIEW] 42131 - CAT D11T Bulldozer

10 minutes ago, Jim said:

Of course this was kind of tongue in cheeck rating, but I do mean that I was really excited during the entire build.

:D It's not, that I don't believe you... it's just like, if I will not feel the same, it's your fault! :poke: Just kidding :)

I know it's not the "modding thread", but: Is the L-motor still strong enough to rise the shield, if you change the gearing directly at the LA-connection? (20t black gear)

10 hours ago, Dylan M said:

This is a kind of review... looking for some FUN ,... specially when it's FREE ... 😄😄😄 😊

I know there's a difference between paying 400 euros for something or getting it for free, but I can honestly say that I would have had as much fun paying 400 euro for this. And like I said; I will definitely buy a second copy, which says enough. 

1 hour ago, Gimmick said:

:D It's not, that I don't believe you... it's just like, if I will not feel the same, it's your fault! :poke: Just kidding :)

I really hope that the ones who will buy this set have as much fun as I did. I honestly do.

1 hour ago, Gimmick said:

I know it's not the "modding thread", but: Is the L-motor still strong enough to rise the shield, if you change the gearing directly at the LA-connection? (20t black gear)

I am not even sure it's strong enough now, since I haven't operated the final model yet :laugh: :tongue:

2 hours ago, TeamThrifty said:

I couldn't agree more. I was always hopeful about this set as construction seems to be technics natural home - the bwe is still a favourite of mine - I get a lot more from the amazing photo's in @Jim 's reviews, really get a feel for the set. I was already planning on buying this, i'm now really excited for it. 

I'm on record as stating @Jim reviews are more aligned with my view of what technic is for me. This review and set especially so - it feels like a proper technic set. I love its size, the way it looks etc. It reminds me of why i fell in love with technic in the late 70's/early 80's. Its way more advanced than anything i could dream of back then, but it has the same 'feel'. My top 3 are currently BWE, Arocs and 8043 - this feels like a genuine podium contender.

Building experience is everything for me. Claas bored me despite me being a big tractor fan. So for it score an 11 is all i needed to know. I'm looking forward to spending 2 or 3 days enjoying it over xmas.

Thanks for an excellent review.

Yeah, we are on the same page. Arocs, 8043 and Big Red were my Top-3 (I guess) and the bulldozer is now in the lead. The Arocs probably fell of the podium.

This is an awesome set to spend a couple of days on during Christmas. You won't regret it.

Trust me, I love how big this set looks. But aren't these big construction vehicles becoming a little too...you know? Repetitive?

I mean, massive Technic sets are awesome. No doubt about that. But I really think these large models themselves should become a little more interesting. I honestly think we should start seeing large aircraft and watercraft at these more massive scales and piece counts. 

Seriously, think about it. These models could be remotely-controlled (with an actual remote, if possible). Maybe we could even see flying models for the first time. Just something outside of cars, trucks, and construction vehicles, for once. Aircraft and Watercraft receive too little attention in LEGO Technic.

4 minutes ago, HydroWorld Outlook said:

Trust me, I love how big this set looks. But aren't these big construction vehicles becoming a little too...you know? Repetitive?

...Aircraft and Watercraft receive too little attention in LEGO Technic.

The "problem" is; construction set sell. Period. Every kid, adult and his mother (okay not the mother) loves construction vehicles. And the average "attention span" of the target audience is probably about 5 years. So after 5 years there will be a new big mobile crane, excavator etc. And every now and then you will get a cool aircraft (if it hits the shelves that is. Yes I am talking about you Osprey).

As AFOL we have a much longer "attention span" so we see the repetive patterns.

9 minutes ago, HydroWorld Outlook said:

Aircraft and Watercraft receive too little attention in LEGO Technic.

That's because they don't do much. Boats in particular translate poorly into Technic.

4 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

That's because they don't do much. Boats in particular translate poorly into Technic.

Technic makes poor floating boats and even worse flying aircraft.

Thank you Jim for a constructive review that brings some positive wibes to this set.

13 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

Well, what can a LEGO bulldozer do, apart from pushing things around? :) 

Nice review!

The set looks good, better than I expected, but it is just seriously overpriced! Comparing it with the Liebherr R9800; It has about the same amount of parts, same price, but the Liebherr has 1x Powered Up Hub and 3! motors more. So unless the Liebherr R 9800 got a 10+ out of 10 for "value for money" this set should get a 5!

7 minutes ago, ChrisO said:

The set looks good, better than I expected, but it is just seriously overpriced! Comparing it with the Liebherr R9800; It has about the same amount of parts, same price, but the Liebherr has 1x Powered Up Hub and 3! motors more. So unless the Liebherr R 9800 got a 10+ out of 10 for "value for money" this set should get a 5!

I may sound a bit weird, but this set isn't overpriced. The Liebherr was actually "cheap". If you follow the regular pricing strategy.

8 minutes ago, ChrisO said:

So unless the Liebherr R 9800 got a 10+ out of 10 for "value for money" this set should get a 5!

Maybe not 10 out 10, but definitely 9 ouf of 10.

In the last months my collection reached a point of which I think as the comments above: with a little "help" from bricklink, I can make a lot of models that I love without expending a huge amount of money. Unfortunately, I do not have a lot of space for model display, so I usually have just 3 or 4 assembled... and the turnover time varies from 3-4 months to 3-4 days. 

So, for me, the 42131 is like other MOC: get the instructions, get some pieces, and have fun. In this regard, is just very good news. I think that for those looking for a great model to assemble and play (or leave in the shelf) and leave it assembled for a long time, the model has a high price (justified or not)... but it all depends on everyone's perspective! ;)

Edited by HectorMB

2 minutes ago, HectorMB said:

In the last months my collection reached a point of which I think as the comments above: with a little "help" from bricklink, i can make a lot of models that i love without expending a huge amount of money. Unfortunately, I do not have a lot of space for model display, so I usually have just 3 or 4 assembled... and the turnover time varies from 3-4 months to 3-4 days. 

So, for me, the 42131 is like other MOC: get the instructions, get some pieces, and have fun. In this regard, is just very good news. I think that for those looking for a great model to assemble and play (or leave in the shelf) and leave it assembled for a long time, the model has a high price (justified or not)... but it all depends on everyone's perspective! ;)

Well spoken! That is exactly the case. It is the case with more models, but this model does pack a lot of "common construction vehicle" parts.

1 minute ago, HydroWorld Outlook said:

Exactly.

Welcom to EB btw! Relatively new member I see. Have fun. And enjoy the discussions :laugh:

1 hour ago, Jim said:

The "problem" is; construction set sell. Period. Every kid, adult and his mother (okay not the mother) loves construction vehicles. And the average "attention span" of the target audience is probably about 5 years. So after 5 years there will be a new big mobile crane, excavator etc. And every now and then you will get a cool aircraft (if it hits the shelves that is. Yes I am talking about you Osprey).

As AFOL we have a much longer "attention span" so we see the repetive patterns.

Well, if they're going to mark all their huge, flagship Technic sets with an "18+" label, then they don't have a choice but to listen to us adult fans.

3 minutes ago, Jim said:

Welcom to EB btw! Relatively new member I see. Have fun. And enjoy the discussions :laugh:

I will. Thank you!

Edited by HydroWorld Outlook

I am all about having a mixed line-up btw. I love construction vehicles, but I'd rather see different stuff. Whether that includes boats...not sure. But I do love airplanes and helicopters.

I do think that the Bulldozer is interesting enough to warrant a set, even though it "can only push". 

2 minutes ago, Jim said:

I am all about having a mixed line-up btw. I love construction vehicles, but I'd rather see different stuff. Whether that includes boats...not sure. But I do love airplanes and helicopters.

I do think that the Bulldozer is interesting enough to warrant a set, even though it "can only push". 

I absolutely agree with you.

One thought, if lego let some sets for making reviews that will be commented on blogs like this, why it seems that they don't care about our comments?. Are they more concerned on just publicity than good comments?.

4 minutes ago, jorgeopesi said:

One thought, if lego let some sets for making reviews that will be commented on blogs like this, why it seems that they don't care about our comments?. Are they more concerned on just publicity than good comments?.

I think in the short term, they may dont care much about the comments (even good or bad): the set is already released and it won't change a tiny thing. So, I think they may look only for publicity. On the other side, in the long run, they may gather the general most frequent comments in order to design new models... or at least this is what i would like to think! ;)

4 hours ago, Jim said:

If you already own some PU and construction sets, this set might be too expensive for what you get.

This is the main reason I'm not probably going to get this set. I bought the Volvo hauler because I got it cheaply, and with it my parts inventory for C+ stuff and yellow parts is in pretty good shape - so no reason to get the Cat for parts. Beyond that, it would be an awesome building experience, but not 400€ awesome.

---

As few people mentioned watercraft, I'm not sure if there's ever been a proper, larger-scale boat set. Or there was the Supply ship in 1992 and it was by all accords great set, but beyond that I think all the watercraft have been pretty small in scale.

Aircraft-lovers have had more nice stuff, but still not by huge margin, Technic is certainly a theme best suited for those who like construction equipment and fast cars.

---

Oh, and as always, thanks for the awesome review!

Is the gearbox built directly connected to the motors? Even if it is a simple one, it would nice to be able to move it (without the motors) to see what it does.

2 hours ago, kbalage said:

Well, what can a LEGO bulldozer do, apart from pushing things around? :) 

Chasing the cats of course :laugh: 

2 hours ago, LvdH said:

Chasing the cats of course :laugh: 

Hehe. That will inevitably happen :laugh:

3 hours ago, howitzer said:

Oh, and as always, thanks for the awesome review!

You're welcome

3 hours ago, jorgeopesi said:

I personally think that their sales figures do the talking. Of course there will be people complaining here on EB or on Facebook or whatever media, but would you care if you sell millions of copies? And let's not forget that lots of the people who complain about sets do buy them eventually.

And TLG has proved to listen to us. Bigger LA's, bigger turntable, pneumatics V2, etc. Af the end of the day, I like to think that TLG knows better what sells and how to bring toys to the market. You don't become the #1 toy manufacturer by listening to a bunch of AFOLs :laugh:

18 minutes ago, Jim said:

You don't become the #1 toy manufacturer by listening to a bunch of AFOLs

Yep. I am glad that it is that way.
They have their ways and their politics, they make a profit. They continue to exist and to grow.
We get some new parts each year. We have a challenge to make a MOC works by using what we have. We complain a lot, but we do get some (or most) of the models and parts we ask, not in the exact shape or form as we asked, but usable. And we get them regularly.

Given the fact they are indeed a toy manufacturer, I am happy with all the aforementioned. 

8 minutes ago, Milan said:

Yep. I am glad that it is that way.
They have their ways and their politics, they make a profit. They continue to exist and to grow.
We get some new parts each year. We have a challenge to make a MOC works by using what we have. We complain a lot, but we do get some (or most) of the models and parts we ask, not in the exact shape or form as we asked, but usable. And we get them regularly.

Given the fact they are indeed a toy manufacturer, I am happy with all the aforementioned. 

This.  +1,000  

Folks don't understand that without this we don't have this hobby.  At least not to the extent that we do.  Someone with an average (more or less) yearly income can have a collection tens of thousands of pieces.  Thousands of us, from around the globe.  Perhaps tens of thousands.   

This leads us to pieces in the hundreds of billions.  Perhaps zillions?  You don't get to this level without the infrastructure, money, politics, etc. that TLG has.  They don't get to this level by listening to us AFOLs.  They get to this level by selling, selling selling.  

This is precisely why I think all the griping about sets is so silly.  TLG does not listen to us, or at least not to a large extent.  Nor should they.  And for smart AFOLs, WE SHOULD NOT WANT THEM TO.  

I honestly think that it is the novice builder/hobbyist who keeps on complaining so much about sets, that they do not meet their every whim and fancy.  Spoiler alert... they are not supposed to!   

I think more seasoned AFOLs understand this point.