Sign in to follow this  
Ayrlego

[COR - ChIVA Mirco Prize] Arrival! (Mendonça's Story 3)

Spoiler

A continuation of the story of my Eslandolan side character, João Álvares Mendonça, an agent of the East Trade Wind Company.

Part One - An Easterly Wind in King's Port

Part Two - The Long Journey

Finally João arrived at Port Wilks. After saying goodbye to the friendly Corrie fisherman and his somewhat unpleasantly smelling boat, João made his way along the rough wooden pier towards the settlement. His first impressions were pleasant if not somewhat underwhelming. To his relief, the settlement wasn't perched on silts above a mangrove swamp like Stormhaven, although it was even smaller. The beaches looked bright and pleasant, especially when contrasted against his last stop.

51425601254_8c987a2e47.jpg

On arrival at the end of the pier, his sense of disappointment at the progress of the settlement grew. On first impressions, it seemed to only consist of a large tavern and a few scattered ETWC warehouses; although some construction work seemed in progress. A small sea-wall was half finished and the temporary timber wharf stretched out through the shallows so that larger vessels could dock.

Over the next few hours, his understanding of his new home grew. It seemed that attempts at agriculture were constantly thwarted by the swarms of wild boars that were so bold they openly ventured out into the muddy streets in daytime. A few wooden hovels dotted the muddy settlement, which only stretched for a few hundred metres inland before giving way to un-cleared vegetation. João now understood why the Terraversan merchants had been so unwilling to venture here - why on earth would they want too? No profit to be made here... yet.

The senior trade company executives who had founded the settlement had been called away shortly after on important business elsewhere. Until they returned, João needed to somehow start providing profits back to company headquarters. It was not going to be easy...

My large micro for ChIVCatA. As promised, licensed in the name of the ETWC (ESL) as a large commerce (the pier and warehouse). After building, I decided to reverse the image so that it matched the features of the map of Isla Phillipe, which I thought was a nice little detail (and defiantly totally planned.....:pir-huzzah1:)!

A really lovely little micro. Nice work!

I'd live to see this get updated as the town develops. 

Edited by Ross Fisher

5 hours ago, evancelt said:

...I love that tiny ship!

Seconded! :pir-sweet:  Really nice use of those sunken masonry bricks on the wharf and the micro trees along the shore, and that's hilarious about flipping the image!  #dedication :pir-grin: