Sign in to follow this  
Ayrlego

[GoC ] The Long Journey (Mendonça's Story 2)

Spoiler

A continuation of the story of my Eslandolan side character, João Álvares Mendonça, an agent of the East Trade Wind Company.

Part One - An Easterly Wind in King's Port

João Álvares Mendonça was not a happy man. His career as a junior agent for the East Trade Wind Company in the colonies had started well in King's Port with the establishment of a local office. From there; however, things had not continued according to plan. His scheme to open a subsidiary ETWC office in the Terraversan interior was dashed by a lack of available funds, transport and his own inability to secure transport from King's Port to the Cross Roads. Disappointed, he was forced to turn his attention back to his original mission, and so attempted to book passage to Port Wilks, as per his original instructions from the board of Directors.

The first Terraversan merchant captain he had approached claimed to have never heard of the Eslandolan settlement. The second laughed at him and dismissed him with a derisive "why would anyone want to travel to that Gods forsaken dung heap?". Rejection kept coming until he gave up and was forced to book passage to the largest settlement in that region that anyone was actually going to, the Corlander settlement of Elizabethville.

Things were a little easier in Elizabethville. The Corlander Royal Postage Service ran a small clipper to the adjacent Corrie settlement of Stormhaven once a week. The Corries seemed happy to help the forlorn Eslandolan merchant - even providing him passage for no charge. João was deeply troubled by this. Why on earth would these foreigners help him if not for profit? Surely they must have some dark scheme about? Yet despite his misgivings, he arrived in Stormhaven safe, not robbed or abandoned on some tiny speck of land in the middle of the Sea of Thieves.

51449919011_26d44280f0_c.jpg

Stormhaven surprised him. An unconventional settlement in an unpleasant location, from what he could see it was constructed almost entirely on board walks over insect infested mangroves. Surely Port Wilks would not be as bad as this? Then, his keen merchant's eye noticed the amount of sugar being almost constantly transported out to waiting small vessels for on-forwarding to Port Raleigh. Thus he began to understand why the Corries persisted here.

The post office was new he was told, constructed after a large pirate raid the previous year. The the local postal agent was welcoming, but was unable to provide any assistance in gaining further passage to Port Wilks.

Making enquires, it became clear that the citizens of Stormhaven didn't seem to know much about the nearby Eslandolan settlement. No one seem to have visited or have any reason to do so. Eventually João found a fisherman who knew the waters and who occasionally stopped in at Port Wilks to resupply with water and hard tack. He agreed to take João in his rather unpleasant smelling boat. With Poseidon's blessing, he would finally reach his destination soon....

A submission for GoC task 12 - Mangrove Madness. I have always meant to build more for Stormhaven - I've always loved @Mike S vision of a settlement build over mangrove swamps and have tried to replicate it here. For those who have been around a while you'll note I've tried to use the same style as in this build of Mike's developing on my previous attempt here.  I have also featured an officer of Mike's Tiberian Guard.

Interesting story and beautiful building. I like how the house was built on piles and that it can be reached via  board walks. The architecture looks nice and interesting.

Really like mangrove builds. Puts me in mind of the bayous. Your build is spot-on for the architecture of the settlement. All round a great idea!

I loved this style and concept so it's great to see it revisited!  Great work on the grove and the siding.  I kind of wish you had done shutters on the second story windows as well as the first, it's such a large chunk of tan, but great job on the mangroves and the roof!

Really nice!  I've always wanted to build something in/in the style of Stormhaven - and you've done a fantastic job here!  The mangroves and boardwalk are great (and of course, love that turtle! :wub:) and the layout of the building is very nice as well!  I'm not quite sure about the amount of light tan - I might have gone for a bit of mottle-work, though I understand wanting to save the dark tan for the roof - but the wood and the windows do make for some good relief.  Excellent work overall as always, mate! :pir-classic:

Really nice build - the headlight bricks are a fun addition as mail cubbies! Great job with the mangroves and angle of the building. The lower shutters help give the building a weightier base - I could imagine the top looking chunky if the upper windows also had them. This way the contour of the house is smaller toward the top.

Love the turtle!

Definitely a :thumbup: from me for GoC!

Edited by evancelt

1 hour ago, evancelt said:

the headlight bricks are a fun addition as mail cubbies!

Didn't even spot those. Excellent attention to detail!