Sign in to follow this  
NOD

[LDD] Tobago Custom Hull Ship

Brethren of the Brick Seas: Class 7

Brethren of the Brick Seas

Rating system of the Royal Navy: 6th rate

Rating system of the Royal Navy

51443494196_0b3d01e2ca_b.jpgTOB 11 by Philippe, auf Flickr

The hull leans slightly outwards on the side, then inwards. I don't like Tetris on the ship's deck and railing. That's why I built it mostly flat and with few height differences. I want to see curves and as few corners as possible.

51444234554_cb52174c8f_b.jpgTOB 07 by Philippe, auf Flickr

The captain's cabin is a little wider. Here the hull is built towards the outside at the bottom and towards the inside at the top.

51442735632_89722ca21b_b.jpgTOB 08 by Philippe, auf Flickr

Light cannons have been added on the upper deck. Because the ship is wider, the cannons can also be operated. There is enough space in width. These must of course be smaller than the cannons on the cannon deck.

51443741318_90f7c88d47_b.jpgTOB 09 by Philippe, auf Flickr

Swivel guns are always useful. I moved the main mast further back. A longer row boat was built.

51444234634_209f3f9a37_b.jpgTOB 05 by Philippe, auf Flickr

I improved the shape of the ship. I like the view from above. I can even see that the hull is getting narrower towards the top.

51444457185_273182fdf9_b.jpgTOB 06 by Philippe, auf Flickr

My ships are similar but not the same "learning by doing". Correcting and changing is too time-consuming, changes to the ship's hull have consequences for the entire ship, building a new one is easier. Every ship is a new build with improvements.

51443741538_40eb4f57ed_b.jpgTOB 10 by Philippe, auf Flickr

I'm not entirely happy with the bow of this ship. Maybe I can build the bow differently and better. I don't know, at the moment I have no idea. I like the rest, maybe just small improvements.

51443741433_7887485ae8_b.jpgTOB 04 by Philippe, auf Flickr

I like that I can build the ship wider and more realistic with the Custom Hull.

The widest point on the main deck 24 studs (included railing).

The main deck is from the aft to the forward railing 87 studs (included railing), at the feet of figurehead 96 studs.

The waterline is 87 studs.

Total length 117 studs.

Lego Scale Converter

51443494166_b864b6e819_b.jpgTOB 01 by Philippe, auf Flickr

It's good that I building digitally. So, I don't have to spend any money for bricks to build a ship that I don't like when it's finished. Sails are just decoration, with real bricks I use cotton sails. Masts and rigging are adapted to the existing sails. A digital build should also look good and realistic. That also includes minifigures.

51442735702_917584ca12_b.jpgTOB 02 by Philippe, auf Flickr

On my Flickr account you can see and download photos with higher resolution.

51443494131_da60ba4406_b.jpgTOB 03 by Philippe, auf Flickr

Ah, at last Tobago comes into play! An amazing job on her! :pir-thumb:

1 hour ago, NOD said:

I'm not entirely happy with the bow of this ship. Maybe I can build the bow differently and better. I don't know, at the moment I have no idea. I like the rest, maybe just small improvements.

Perhaps the lowest lines could be more to the inside, it's a bit too steep, considering how the hull is under the water line. But truly, it's the most complex, amazing looking brick-built hull I've ever seen. :pir-love:

On 9/10/2021 at 10:24 PM, Jack Sassy said:

Ah, at last Tobago comes into play! An amazing job on her! :pir-thumb:

Perhaps the lowest lines could be more to the inside, it's a bit too steep, considering how the hull is under the water line. But truly, it's the most complex, amazing looking brick-built hull I've ever seen. :pir-love:

Thanks very much. You're right, it must be more inclined. At the moment I don't know how to build it so that it looks good.

4 hours ago, LegoMFP_David said:

what a amazing ship she is!

Its great that you have a brick built hull it really does look like one of the best I have seen 

Thanks for the compliments. I had a lot of fun building this ship.

4 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Oh NOD, you've done it again.

You're a digital LEGO Pirate design guru :pir-love:

Thank you very much, it's a great honor.:pir-wub: I am very happy that you like my ships.

Cool ship, nice details! The sails are nice too, but I prefer it without sails, because in that case it seems to be more realistic.

15 hours ago, NOD said:

Thank you very much, it's a great honor.:pir-wub: I am very happy that you like my ships.

So happy I think ye deserve the MOC Expert tag!

7 hours ago, _TLG_ said:

Cool ship, nice details! The sails are nice too, but I prefer it without sails, because in that case it seems to be more realistic.

Thanks for the compliments. You're right. It would look a lot better with cotton sails, of course. I have photos without a sail where the construction of the ship can be seen better. Then there are action photos with minifigures that look incomplete without a sail. That's why I built sails out of Lego bricks. The sails are for decoration only.

6 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

So happy I think ye deserve the MOC Expert tag!

Thank you very much, it's a great honor!:pir-love: I am very happy!:pir-huzzah2:

20 hours ago, NOD said:

You're right. It would look a lot better with cotton sails, of course.

I prefer the studless builds, however I know some builders like studs. Maybe the sails could be made studless with tiles, but maybe would be too tick, I am not sure...

3 hours ago, _TLG_ said:

I prefer the studless builds, however I know some builders like studs. Maybe the sails could be made studless with tiles, but maybe would be too tick, I am not sure...

I just tried it with tiles, it doesn't look bad.

Edited by NOD