Jim

Technic Pricing General Discussion

Recommended Posts

 

12 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

Plus, I suspect requisitioning parts in loads of different colours adds to production and transport costs, which will then inflate the price of the set.

I don't think so. The weird colors you find inside have often be used in Sets from other themes, and I suspect part of why they do it is to make setting up production worth it by producing more and then dumping them inside other sets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

I don't think so. The weird colors you find inside have often be used in Sets from other themes, and I suspect part of why they do it is to make setting up production worth it by producing more and then dumping them inside other sets.

Hence the qualifier "I suspect". Admittedly it was a bit of a long shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I think most people miss about the price is that there is a new mold piece and that CAT (most likely) has a higher license cost the others.

Electronics do play a part in cost, however it can be ignored when comparing two or more sets with electronics.

When evaluating the cost of a set, always look at these:

  • How much electronics.
  • How many "large" items. (panels, tires, buckets, etc)
  • How many new molded parts and size.
  • Is it a licensed set.
  • Along with large parts, does it have an excessive amount of cross hole parts. Like 5x7 or 7x11 frames.

The rest of the parts can be made easier and quick either cause of their size (pins, bushings, 1x3 whatever's) or simple mold shapes (lift arms, axles).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Lego is for kids". Therefore we have these 18+ sets, so that you, as an adult, who don't give a crap about Lego so you don't see how inferior they actually are in comparison with "normal Lego for the kids", can have a cool model never meant to play with on your shelf and don't feel uncool (better keep the box so if you get some risen eyebrows from your frieds you can proove them you are not uncool, because the model will fail to proove it by itself).
It's just marketing. I started before Lego was cool. Now Lego is coming down the chimney.

Edit: the high prize can be attributed to that "feel cool" thing. One must be a cool person if one can spend 450 on a decoration.

Edited by Lipko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lipko said:

Edit: the high prize can be attributed to that "feel cool" thing. One must be a cool person if one can spend 450 on a decoration.

I know of a local guy who without having a bike driver's license bought a Ducati just because "there was empty space in his house that he wanted to occupy". A fully working Ducati sportsbike (that particular one was ~6-7 thousand euro). Simply to put on display. I wish he would pay my bills too, since I also seem to have empty space in my pockets... :laugh:

3 hours ago, weavil said:

What I think most people miss about the price is that there is a new mold piece and that CAT (most likely) has a higher license cost the others.

Electronics do play a part in cost, however it can be ignored when comparing two or more sets with electronics.

When evaluating the cost of a set, always look at these:

  • How much electronics.
  • How many "large" items. (panels, tires, buckets, etc)
  • How many new molded parts and size.
  • Is it a licensed set.
  • Along with large parts, does it have an excessive amount of cross hole parts. Like 5x7 or 7x11 frames.

The rest of the parts can be made easier and quick either cause of their size (pins, bushings, 1x3 whatever's) or simple mold shapes (lift arms, axles).

So essentially, they chose to make this model unnecesarily large, make new parts for it due to that, slap an expensive license and charge a premium price. They missed out on re-introducing a Technic fig though, since it seems it's perfect scale... Could've added another 50-60 euro on that :sarcasm:

It does make sense what you're saing, but we can't know the exact costs behind each thing. What also has to be accounted for IMHO, is how many sets use the part before/afterwards - some of them might never get reused (buckets from Volvo&Liebherr  for example), others have already been used in various other sets (like the yellow variant of suspension arms). In this case it might take some time before we see the track pieces reused, as they're gigantic, and unless the LAs become permanently black they might even never appear again in that colour (same with yellow 5x7 frames, as it already happened with their other colour variations).

Edited by syclone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, syclone said:

It does make sense what you're saing, but we can't know the exact costs behind each thing. What also has to be accounted for IMHO, is how many sets use the part before/afterwards - some of them might never get reused (buckets from Volvo&Liebherr  for example), others have already been used in various other sets (like the yellow variant of suspension arms). In this case it might take some time before we see the track pieces reused, as they're gigantic, and unless the LAs become permanently black they might even never appear again in that colour (same with yellow 5x7 frames, as it already happened with their other colour variations).

The Liebherr bucket and the  new tracks may never see light again or if they do it will be at least 3-4 years later. The black LA's will be used more I think. The other color 5x7 frames were for that specific line, were the yellow can still be used even if it is hidden inside the model.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, syclone said:

I know of a local guy who without having a bike driver's license bought a Ducati just because "there was empty space in his house that he wanted to occupy".

Nothing wrong with that. Though a Yamaha would have been better imo.

Now I have seen your gripe about cost. Fair perhaps. But heres a question. Could you build it via other sets and bricklink for cheaper. Perhaps you could run the numbers as I'm a bit busy making a living.

Third. If your date of birth is correct. I can see your a young guy starting out in the world and yep at that age I can honestly say I had to watch every dollar.

Off topic perhaps. Absolutely no offence intended. 

Kind regards matt 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been working on the 2021 update of my Technic book, and as a part of that I decided to run some numbers on the CAT pricing. Here's a quote from my first draft: "The main complaint against this set has been its price, which is identical to the Liebherr, despite this set having about 300 pieces, a hub, and three motors fewer. If we say that the set’s 3845 pieces are worth $390 CAD, and we put the electronics at current Bricklink prices, so that the hub is worth $21, the L’s are worth 2x$19, and the large angular motors are worth 2x$17 (all prices taken before this set’s release), we get a total set value of $483 CAD to stack up against the set’s retail value of $549.99 CAD. We thus have a discrepancy of $66.99 CAD ($53 USD), which is definitely enough to classify the set as overpriced, but I think complaints have perhaps overstated the issue." Running the same numbers on the Liebherr, though, we see that it was worth $578, or $38.01 over its list value.

The takeaway for me is that the Liebherr was a rather good deal, the CAT is a poor (but not unusual) deal, but the sum difference between them overstates the CAT's deficiency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

I've been working on the 2021 update of my Technic book, and as a part of that I decided to run some numbers on the CAT pricing. Here's a quote from my first draft: "The main complaint against this set has been its price, which is identical to the Liebherr, despite this set having about 300 pieces, a hub, and three motors fewer. If we say that the set’s 3845 pieces are worth $390 CAD, and we put the electronics at current Bricklink prices, so that the hub is worth $21, the L’s are worth 2x$19, and the large angular motors are worth 2x$17 (all prices taken before this set’s release), we get a total set value of $483 CAD to stack up against the set’s retail value of $549.99 CAD. We thus have a discrepancy of $66.99 CAD ($53 USD), which is definitely enough to classify the set as overpriced, but I think complaints have perhaps overstated the issue." Running the same numbers on the Liebherr, though, we see that it was worth $578, or $38.01 over its list value.

The takeaway for me is that the Liebherr was a rather good deal, the CAT is a poor (but not unusual) deal, but the sum difference between them overstates the CAT's deficiency.

Did you make your calculations based on cheapest Bricklink offers, regardless of seller? I mean, the total parts list would probably be distributed over several different BL shops, which may or may not have the best prices, and the more sellers you include, the more delivery costs there will be, and those aren't negligible, I'm guessing you'd end up easily paying like 100 or more in of your currency of choice in just delivery costs. And then you won't have stickers, printed building instructions, unboxing experience, parts sorted by building stage, etc. I'm sure some people don't care about those, but others do, so it's not 1:1 comparison.

In the end it appears that the Liebherr indeed was a great deal (if you appreciate the PU parts) while the Cat is just average in TLG's lineup. I'm also willing to bet that some of the Cat's apparent overpricing can be attributed to the increased costs of production and logistics due to the pandemic, as it is known for example that the cost of shipping containers has increased drastically. It's hard to estimate if that makes up 10 or 100 currency units in the final cost, but it's something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, howitzer said:

Did you make your calculations based on cheapest Bricklink offers, regardless of seller? I mean, the total parts list would probably be distributed over several different BL shops, which may or may not have the best prices, and the more sellers you include, the more delivery costs there will be, and those aren't negligible, I'm guessing you'd end up easily paying like 100 or more in of your currency of choice in just delivery costs. And then you won't have stickers, printed building instructions, unboxing experience, parts sorted by building stage, etc. I'm sure some people don't care about those, but others do, so it's not 1:1 comparison.

In the end it appears that the Liebherr indeed was a great deal (if you appreciate the PU parts) while the Cat is just average in TLG's lineup. I'm also willing to bet that some of the Cat's apparent overpricing can be attributed to the increased costs of production and logistics due to the pandemic, as it is known for example that the cost of shipping containers has increased drastically. It's hard to estimate if that makes up 10 or 100 currency units in the final cost, but it's something.

Yeah, my calculations were based off of the cheapest offers of which there was significant quantity (no cheap outliers that will be gone tomorrow). You're right, though, a higher price might have been more meaningful; I was just too lazy to figure out what a reasonable one would be. The point wasn't how much replicating the set would cost, though, rather I just wanted to get an idea of whether the set was a good deal or not, despite the electronics that make it vaguer than usual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, howitzer said:

while the Cat is just average in TLG's lineup.

No the CAT is definitely not average. It just isn’t. Check my comment at the start of page 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Bartybum said:

No the CAT is definitely not average. It just isn’t. Check my comment at the start of page 3.

At least the graph you posted shows it very close to average in terms of price per kg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, howitzer said:

At least the graph you posted shows it very close to average in terms of price per kg.

I hadn’t noticed that, interesting :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.