Leewan

[MOC] Medieval Horse Stable (with building instructions)

I bought the Medieval Blacksmith back in April, and absolutely loved it. I hope Lego will do more sets like it, but I don't think it's wise to expect anything more. So I thought I'd do my own medieval village series.

As a little warm-up, I decided to do a stable. This was directly inspired by the set : I thought the horse provided with the Blacksmith might be tired from pulling a cart full of weapons, and that the Black Falcon Lord ordered the villagers to build a stable so his army's horses could eat and rest a bit. It was quite challenging, because it's a rather mundane subject that doesn't necessarily translate into an exciting Lego model. I wanted it to be visually interesting, giving it a distinct style without making it too different from the Blacksmith, and also well made (no illegal techniques, a (relatively) sturdy build).

To design my model I took inspiration from the stables in Skyrim, especially those from Whiterun and Riften :

51438351130_5ddc6b8e02_o.jpg51438351410_0a66939408_o.jpg

The MOC was designed with Mecabricks. I kept several prototypes of the model, that you can see here : 

51438351825_532c4259be_o.png

The first version had three stalls, but I eventually decided to remove one and add a space to store the hay instead. The final model is quite close to the last prototype, only shorter :

Medieval Horse Stable

Medieval Horse Stable

Medieval Horse Stable

Medieval Horse Stable

Medieval Horse Stable

The roof can be easily removed, to make it easier to access the stalls :

Medieval Horse Stable

There's more pictures in the Flickr album. You can also see the 3D model on Mecabricks.

I've also made instructions for this MOC, that you can find on Rebrickable : https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-84485/Leewan/medieval-horse-stable/

Don't be afraid of the price displayed on the Inventory tab I used several relatively new pieces, that might not yet be widely available on BrickLink. Among them there's the 76 black tiles round 2x4 (66857) used to create the roof tiles. Myself I bought them from Lego Bricks and Pieces, but it's also possible to use them in more common colours such as tan and medium nougat :

51437475351_df69a31495_o.png

The beam atop of the roof has a reddish brown "donut tile" (15535) in reddish brown, and those have just been released in a Vidyo set (see, that theme's not that bad :tongue:). It's possible to swap them for 2x2 round jumpers (18674), that are much more common. There's also the dark bluish grey ingots, or the hay bales. Also, I didn't include the parts for horses and minifigs in the parts list, so you'll have to make your own if you want to build the model yourself.

Anyways, I hope you'll like it. (:

Leewan

Great idea.  I like the round tiles on the roof.  The bird and nest in the framing is a great detail.  Very useful for a village setting.  

Oh my, it looks amazing! Perfect architectural match to the Blacksmith's house! The roof, especially, is gorgeous. Perfect use of those new oval tiles - the tan and medium nougat version screams 'Skyrim'! I also enjoy the way you made the straw.
With a few olive or sand green grille tiles, the horses could have had hay - which is much more nutritive! But that's just me being pedantic. ^^

Edited by Aurore

I've never played Skyrim, but either way, this is an amazing build. The scale, the proportions, the coloring...it all works together really well.

The rounded roof works really well, but you could probably even not have it rounded and the whole build would still look really good. So well done there.

And I agree, the bird/nest looks like a nice little detail.

This is gorgeous! I love the detail and how sturdy the construction seems to be—I've seen a lot of medieval builds that rely heavily on flimsy connections to achieve a ramshackle sort of look, but this one manages to incorporate little imperfections that give it a handcrafted look (like the uneven stonework and roof tiles) while still feeling remarkably solid. The tan and medium nougat recolor looks good (I almost like it more than the black tiles), and the little bird in the rafters is such an adorable touch!

Lovely model. It's always interesting to see how a MOC evolves in various stages of the building process. I also prefer the two stables version compared to the three stables. My favourite detail is the birds nest. Well done. 

The MOC is really cool, with really nice details and the style matches the blacksmith set pretty well!

The only minor suggestion I have is that I would have made the "ground" irregular like the blacksmith instead of rectangular.

Great work :thumbup:

fantastic. I'll be happy to pay the 8 dollars!
But I would like the floor plan more irregularly (as with the blacksmith's shop). You can add greenery like flowers, plants etc. yourself.

my respect for this wonderful moc

Thank you everyone, and thanks for the frontpage. :sweet:

On 9/9/2021 at 2:14 AM, zoth33 said:

The bird and nest in the framing is a great detail.

That's a bit of a late addition, I thought the model lacked life and this was an easy way to fix it.

On 9/9/2021 at 5:25 PM, Aurore said:

With a few olive or sand green grille tiles, the horses could have had hay - which is much more nutritive! But that's just me being pedantic. ^^

I'm all for realism, so thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try. 

On 9/13/2021 at 10:25 AM, gads said:

The only minor suggestion I have is that I would have made the "ground" irregular like the blacksmith instead of rectangular.

On 9/14/2021 at 7:44 PM, wanderer1980 said:

But I would like the floor plan more irregularly (as with the blacksmith's shop). You can add greenery like flowers, plants etc. yourself.

Yeah, I understand. But I don't think it would be justified here. The Blacksmith has the anvil, the apple tree and the well that require an irregular baseplate. The stable has a rectangular footprint, so I think a simpler baseplate is enough. However the next build will have an irregular baseplate, with flowers, plants etc. :wink: