Sign in to follow this  
jan kusters

[MOC] A 'midsized' ship added to my fleet...

pirates-indexed.gif

Those who saw my long Whale Rock outpost-post might remember a black hooded figure more or less haunting the fortress, and later assisting the dead prisoner in his escape.

51326032641_a59c31965a_z.jpg

The Briney Brick 73 (c): The Great Escape... by Jan Kusters, on Flickr

When I came up with this figure, I had no idea who it was, but over the last few weeks the figure appeared again.

51372698635_200bb965bc_z.jpg

The Briney Brick 75: Things that go splash in the night... by Jan Kusters, on Flickr

Here the figure assists (or leads?) a few skeletons while they made a withdrawel from their bank (what else could this giant skull on an island be!).

I also had a few figures stowed away that I still wanted to add to my Pirate display... And then it hit me apart from pirates and islanders and Imperial soldiers, another faction in my part of the world! But then I needed a bigger boat; bigger than the regular rowing boat, but smaller than a full ship...

51388383801_23e7f80760_z.jpg

The Briney Brick 76(a); who are they?!? by Jan Kusters, on Flickr

Enter 'The Black Ship'...

'Right where she was supposed to be. Steady now boys...'

Black sails in the moonlight
Black patch on your eye
You shiver your timbers, baby
And I'll shiver mine...

(Harry Nilsson, Black Sails https://youtu.be/9Lu3VDZyfHU for those wanting the background music...  )

51389120544_f1e81ea066_z.jpg

The Briney Brick 76(b); who are they?!? by Jan Kusters, on Flickr

'Well, you took your time!'

'Ah well, it's getting busy in our little sea here. The fortress has a new crew! I managed to get the prisoner out, but they already took the dead soldier away.
And remember that trader we chased onto the rocks some time ago? It has been fixed and is afloat again, I saw it at Skull Island. Seems to be in the hands of pirates now, they were all over the island, partying with the natives.
I thought it wise to take our money from the bank for a while, it will be safer with us.'

51389120534_d2a909f762_z.jpgThe Briney Brick 76(c); who are they?!? by Jan Kusters, on Flickr

The Briney Brick 76(c); who are they?!?

'Oh, and another thing; I think Princess Kahiki has a suitor now. There was this young lad at her side who could not take his eyes of her...'

So here she is, my small MOC ship or big MOC boat based on the 18 x 8 x 2 1/3 hull piece... (corrected after Legostein gave the right dimentions below, thank you!)

Edited by Brickander Brickumnus
some minor adjustments and a big mistake about the boat part

Great photos and interesting story.

3 hours ago, evancelt said:

Great nighttime shots!

Thank you! I love lighting in Lego (and nightshots)...

35 minutes ago, NOD said:

Great photos and interesting story.

Thank you!

5 hours ago, jan kusters said:

So here she is, my small MOC ship or big MOC boat based on the 14x5x2 hull piece...

Hello! I like it as I am also a fan of small ships and boats. :pir-sweet: Regarding your quote above I guess you were mistaken, as the 14 x 5 x 2 boat is the small standard rowboat which is towed to your mid-sized ship, which uses the 18 x 8 x 2 1/3 hull. This one is more rare but allows for a larger variety of mid-sized ships. Well done! :pir-classic:

41 minutes ago, Legostein said:

Hello! I like it as I am also a fan of small ships and boats. :pir-sweet: Regarding your quote above I guess you were mistaken, as the 14 x 5 x 2 boat is the small standard rowboat which is towed to your mid-sized ship, which uses the 18 x 8 x 2 1/3 hull. This one is more rare but allows for a larger variety of mid-sized ships. Well done! :pir-classic:

You are absolutely right, I will correct it! Thank you!

Edited by jan kusters

She looks a wee bit crowded :-D

I absolutely love when people do stuff with the small boats.  I've got a ton of them, and one of these days I'm actually going to do something with them.  This is great.

12 hours ago, Cousarmy0001 said:

She looks a wee bit crowded :-D

I absolutely love when people do stuff with the small boats.  I've got a ton of them, and one of these days I'm actually going to do something with them.  This is great.

Thank you! As for overcrowded; I have always been awed with the number of men they crammed on ships in the 16th and 17th century, so uhm well, yes, my ships and boats tend to get a bit loaded...

50165894388_a73e0a8293_z.jpg

The Briney Brick interlude (b): still sorting a new set... by Jan Kusters, on Flickr

51177616875_bdc13a0f14_z.jpg

The Briney Brick 60 (a): Landing party... by Jan Kusters, on Flickr

(still working my way up to complete the crew of the Crimson Mermaid, I am sure they will gather some more folks on their voyages...)

12 hours ago, thewatchman said:

I love this build! Absolutely great use of scale!

Thank you! While we live in times of awesome and huge builds, detailed to perfection, I do love the smaller and simpler builds in Lego. They feel more like the Lego I grew up with. Sadly I am not very good at designing that smaller stuff.

3 hours ago, jan kusters said:

Thank you! While we live in times of awesome and huge builds, detailed to perfection, I do love the smaller and simpler builds in Lego. They feel more like the Lego I grew up with. Sadly I am not very good at designing that smaller stuff.

I get what you mean it seems like micro scale, mini scale and huge Mocs seem to get the most attention.

I’m waiting on a few bricklink orders before I can complete a similar type of build myself!

While working on the story shot a series of 'archive' pictures of the Black Ship for future reference for myself...

ZX1yrBN.jpg

Edited by jan kusters
strugling with image...