1 hour ago, syclone said:

Thank you Piterx for such a great model! Had a blast driving it around (even with a "dumb" 90-0-90 servo and a crappy touch screen). 

From reverse-engineering the model off the renders: impressive rigidity from such few amount of parts, really incredible what has been accomplished - and everything fits like a glove, from the XL motor to the panels. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Sorry for crappy photo and boring colour-sheme, but already took it apart, now experimenting with a bike basing it on your ideas :sweet: 

dsc_0930.jpg

dude that color scheme rocks :D looks like a raptor i love it!
im so happy you had fun with it :) thank you all guys

i'm working on a new bike, i hope i can finish it soon!

On 9/12/2021 at 10:25 PM, amorti said:

FREE PDF instructions, coming soon on rebrickable...

Nope... Denied.

Rebrickable says I can't submit a free moc I didn't design by myself even with the designer's permission.

Resubmitted with a 1€ price tag, since you can submit premium MOCs as part of a partnership. Let's see if they allow it.

19 hours ago, amorti said:

Nope... Denied.

Rebrickable says I can't submit a free moc I didn't design by myself even with the designer's permission.

Resubmitted with a 1€ price tag, since you can submit premium MOCs as part of a partnership. Let's see if they allow it.

Thats dumb but i understand they don't want troubles, thanks for taking the time to make instructions dude, i apreciate it a lot :)

12 hours ago, piterx said:

That's dumb but i understand they don't want troubles, thanks for taking the time to make instructions dude, i appreciate it a lot :)

Free instructions are available!

Edited by amorti

14 hours ago, Hrafn said:

Thank you so much for sharing this for free!

You're welcome!

All I ask is to post some user pics on rebrickable.

The model has had phenomenal traffic, but very little interaction so far, we'd like to see people are enjoying it :)

Edited by amorti

I will do it for my children, I do not like the buwizz so we will see if it works well with a rechargeable battery and the receiber, it will not be so cute but...

6 hours ago, jorgeopesi said:

I will do it for my children, I do not like the buwizz so we will see if it works well with a rechargeable battery and the receiber, it will not be so cute but...

Be very interested in seeing how it turns out, can't wait to see it.

10 hours ago, jorgeopesi said:

Excited to see it :)

Mounting the IR receiver is just a matter of a few pins, but you'll have two challenges:

1. the battery box is 1 brick taller than a buwizz and will fight the top frame rail for space
  2. rechargable batteries only bring 7.4v (maybe a bit more with fresh charge) and AAA battery boxes only bring 9v even on fresh alkaline batteries; this may not bring enough speed for the bike to self balance.
3 hours ago, Ullum Zurt said:

Is this achievable using an L motor instead of an XL motor?

An L motor can be mounted in the frame with only a few extra parts (#1 connectors and 15100's) and changing the gearing from 40:16 to 24:16 for similar total speed.

However the problem is that to balance the bike, the motor has to be in the middle or very close to it.

An XL motor is 6L long, if you hang the extra stud to the right and the chain to the left, it balances.

An L motor is 7 studs long, and to balance it the chain has to be pushed out a stud wider, and at that point it's already reducing ground clearance. Bad things happen if the chain hits the ground.

Short answer: "kind of / but not really well"!

Edited by amorti

31 minutes ago, amorti said:

An L motor can be mounted in the frame with only a few extra parts (#1 connectors and 15100's) and changing the gearing from 40:16 to 24:16 for similar total speed.

However the problem is that to balance the bike, the motor has to be in the middle or very close to it.

An XL motor is 6L long, if you hang the extra stud to the right and the chain to the left, it balances.

An L motor is 7 studs long, and to balance it the chain has to be pushed out a stud wider, and at that point it's already reducing ground clearance. Bad things happen if the chain hits the ground.

Short answer: "kind of / but not really well"!

Thank you for the explanation. Looks like I will have to source for the XL motor and confirm that before bricklinking the wheels/tires.

Cheers!

25 minutes ago, Ullum Zurt said:

Thank you for the explanation. Looks like I will have to source for the XL motor and confirm that before bricklinking the wheels/tires.

Cheers!

No worries. You can also try letting the L motor hang out further to the right and setting the steering rack off center so the battery box hangs out to the left to balance it. There's half a stud offset on the buwizz that's easily available by swapping the half bush to both on same side. Not sure, but maybe it could work.

If you build it like that without the chain and shove it across the floor, you'll soon see if it can go straight or not.

You can use any motorbike wheels and tires you may have, but the scrambler tires are biggest at 100mm, so add a bit more speed.

Edited by amorti

6 hours ago, Ullum Zurt said:

Is this achievable using an L motor instead of an XL motor?

I had this early version of the bike (that i didnt like too much) wich was using an L motor and it was working fine :) maybe you can give it a try

new-moto-lego.jpg
new-moto-lego-2.jpg

On 9/19/2021 at 11:34 AM, piterx said:

Actually, I see some advantages in this one. It has the height available for a PF battery box, and you could put a "primary drive" ratio 28:20, then it should be ok without ludicrous mode if the L motor is strong enough to pull it.

What didn't you like about it?

Edited by Milan
Do not quote images from the same page, please.

22 hours ago, amorti said:

Actually, I see some advantages in this one. It has the height available for a PF battery box, and you could put a "primary drive" ratio 28:20, then it should be ok without ludicrous mode if the L motor is strong enough to pull it.

What didn't you like about it?

the torque wasn't quite enough to make it reactive how i wanted and top speed wasn't great either... it works but it's nothing special

2 hours ago, piterx said:

the torque wasn't quite enough to make it reactive how i wanted and top speed wasn't great either... it works but it's nothing special

Ok, if it was lacking in both torque and speed, there's no saving it.

With current lack of availability of 8882, my only option is 3rd party XL motors. If the have sufficient speed/torque, there may be hope that I can build this.

39 minutes ago, Ullum Zurt said:

With current lack of availability of 8882, my only option is 3rd party XL motors. If the have sufficient speed/torque, there may be hope that I can build this.

Third party drive motors will be fine. There are even some out there with more power than Lego motors.

Third party servos can be sketchy, since they tend to glitch out when attached to an analogue source such as Buwizz.

I've got a stash of PF servos sealed, so I'm good for now. Will look into getting the XL motor and other missing parts.

Thank you!

Understand the rigid hose is to protect the motor, gears, chain when it topples. Would a 1L shorter hose on each side make any perceptible difference?