Murdoch17

Nexus Force ALCO RS-11 diesel loco with freight train - LDD MOC (so far)

A utilitarian space / Arctic freight train for my ice-bound Nexus Force base... it may not look very spacey, though. (I tried, it's more difficult than it looks!)

51430440518_2780d74eaa_z.jpg

This MOC features:

- ALCO RS-11-like four axle diesel loco

- boxcar with removable top and opening doors.

- Nuclear waste flask car. Try not look at the glass sections for very long!

- two couple of sectioned gondolas loaded with comet / meteorite samples.... and maybe a few frozen aliens inside!

- bay window caboose for nuclear flask guards and train crew

51430945954_1f22804eee_z.jpg

This model was originally a ALCO MRS-1 (which you can see in his instructions store here) built by @SavaTheAggie, but has been so severely modified that it no longer looks like the prototype loco. So I went searching and found another ALCO locomotive, a RS-11 that looks (kind of) like my new loco. Both my MOC and the new prototype have the four wheels, and the same basic hood and cab design as the MRS-1 that preceded it.

I changed out the original grille bricks at the rear for grille tiles SNOTed-in sideways for a more consistent look when compared to the roof vents. I added back in Sava's maintenance cabinets from the MRS-1, yet attached them differently using newer parts. I also shortened the frame by six studs to fix the spacing problem created by the missing two wheels.

51431175215_73125d38a2_z.jpg

The long hood of the loco has been designated the rear. The printed Nexus Force logo (from CITY Arctic 2014) goes on the curved 2 x 2 x 2/3 slopes on the front and rear hood ends, underneath the lights.

51429444232_19832b3d73_z.jpg

This boxcar was heavily inspired by Time Gould boxcar design from the dying days of the 9v-era, otherwise known as 2008. (You can see it and his entire vintage train it came from, here on Rebrickable for free.)

51430204436_fdbb08d161_z.jpg

The roof comes off this car type and the loading doors open up.

51431233243_5ea3b207f8_z.jpg

This nuclear waste flask car is loaded and ready for delivery to a waste storage facility at an undisclosed location.

51429444267_cd4487e3cd_z.jpg

These open air gondolas are loaded with icy meteorite fragments, which may or may not contain hostile alien life frozen inside!

51430946004_5180f67db5_z.jpg

No interior on this part of the train, as it's too crowded inside due to needed SNOT-work for the bay windows. This car was originally puzzled-out from this MOC's pictures.

I'm already parting out the diesel engine, but the train will have to wait.

50969466138_3bcc71af41_z.jpg

You can see more details on the arctic / space base shown above in this thread in the Sci-Fi forum. Be warned, it needs to be updated with some newer stuff I designed!

Thoughts?

EDITED 9/6/21: added nuclear car photo and updated the main picture.

Edited by Murdoch17