Hi everyone, after a rather long pause I have finished one of my builds. It was sitting on a shelf for almost a year, waiting for the final spark...

51428762137_aaa2eb8fd2_b.jpgIMG_20210830_171346 by Ivan Moc, on Flickr

It is a rope shovel excavator based on Cat 7295 HD. I have chosen this one as it is big enough for this scale (~1:40) while not too big like its bigger brothers (7495). Here is a pcture of the real machine:

C807332?$cc-g$&fmt=pjpeg

the problem is that the internet is full of pictures/models and other source material about the "biggest" 7495, but the smaller machines are without much attention. Therefor I had to work with several pictures only, but in the end it was enough. When I started the build I thought that it might be a "true" scale model with exterior build from system parts. You can see its remains on the boom. This was also the reason of the delay, it would mean buying a lot of parts that I lacked and the financial aspect put it on hold. In the end I decided to cover it in regular manner with additional details from system parts here and there.

It is operated by 6 PF motors:

2x L-motor in base with its own battery box

L-motor for winch that lifts the shovel

M-motor for slewing

M-motor for shovel extension

L-motor for winch that opens bucket

The system for bucket opening is based on two strings - one is attached to shovel only and can slide along as the shovel is extended or retracted. It slides over a lever that is pulled by string on reel and it means I can open bucket in every position. I'm rather fond of this mechanism, it is not replication of real one but it adds much to play as you do not have to worry about the position of the bucket at all.

Instructions will come in a right time..

51429522011_194fe19ea6_b.jpgIMG_20210830_173651 by Ivan Moc, on Flickr

51429760468_22a80be27a_b.jpgIMG_20210830_173752 by Ivan Moc, on Flickr

51430492650_e7303f9041_b.jpgIMG_20210830_175403 by Ivan Moc, on Flickr

51429521306_e74f0d43d3_b.jpgIMG_20210830_175622 by Ivan Moc, on Flickr

Edited by Ivan_M

Ahh, that's the CAT we so needed! May I dare to know how much it weights? I guess around 6-7Kgs, isn't it?

Just now, Void_S said:

Ahh, that's the CAT we so needed! May I dare to know how much it weights? I guess around 6-7Kgs, isn't it?

I don't think much over 5kg, the interior is not much dense, I can put it on weight to know precisely :classic:

thanks everyone

Wow, thanks for sharing your creation and the nice video, all the nice little details and the smooth operation :pir-love: of this machine. Amazing!

Yes... this is beautiful.  Old PF motors and BB. the movement of the shovel arm and bucket are beautiful.  Good choice of music to the video..... good perfect with the functions movement..I could watch this for hours....

That is a beautiful beast. :wub: I am always amazed at these rope shovel excavators. Some nostalgia to the times that mechanics ruled the world I guess.

If I am critical I would say the video is a bit long and repetitive. And I can imagine that you wanted to make the body with system parts. Adding more details to such a big area would have helped to make it more than a yellow cube, but budget constraints are a perfect excuse. Maybe stickers as a cheaper cop-out?

Do you have any issues keeping the ropes on all the pulleys? And how is that bucket opening rope independent from the arm elongation?

5 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

That is a beautiful beast. :wub: I am always amazed at these rope shovel excavators. Some nostalgia to the times that mechanics ruled the world I guess.

If I am critical I would say the video is a bit long and repetitive. And I can imagine that you wanted to make the body with system parts. Adding more details to such a big area would have helped to make it more than a yellow cube, but budget constraints are a perfect excuse. Maybe stickers as a cheaper cop-out?

Do you have any issues keeping the ropes on all the pulleys? And how is that bucket opening rope independent from the arm elongation?

To each his/her own I suppose. I loved the movement and motion along with the music. I could have watched more!

6 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Yes... this is beautiful.  Old PF motors and BB. the movement of the shovel arm and bucket are beautiful.  Good choice of music to the video..... good perfect with the functions movement..I could watch this for hours....

Others seem to agree!

7 hours ago, jorgeopesi said:

First time that I think the video is not long enough :drool: .

Just showed some friends your creation we are all very impressed . Awesome :-)

What a mechanical marble! I would never have guessed that a MOC of a rope excavator would have such smooth and fast movements.

This is exactly what I would hope for as a Lego Technic "Classics" set, where older but technical more complex/interesting machinery would be represented.

Amazing build! Excellent choice of a subject. As others said there is something elegant about the old mechanical machinery. Granted, the real thing is modern, but still it looks like it belongs to a more civilized age... The MOC is mesmerizing to watch in action!

Nice work! When I visited the Czech Republic years ago, I saw many abandoned excavation sites, but these bad boys surely had moved on by then. Lovely motion with the pulleys, fantastic!

On 9/6/2021 at 2:32 PM, Void_S said:

I have put it on weight and it is only 3,7kg including two sents of AA batteries. I'm quite surprised

On 9/6/2021 at 5:36 PM, Jeroen Ottens said:

Thank you for your kind words. Video making is something I struggle most with, I really have to push myself into making it and do not enjoy it at all, so I welcome your input, it will help me with further videos.

I have made a video explaing how the bucket opening works:

The string that is wind up by motor is attached to the 4x2 beam and it runs around the axle the shovel is mounted on. Therefor the mechanism is not dependant on the position

On 9/6/2021 at 11:08 PM, nerdsforprez said:

To each his/her own I suppose. I loved the movement and motion along with the music. I could have watched more!

Others seem to agree!

Thank you, this is very encouraging!

Great build, that would look good side by side to Flybum's Volvo Excavator I have build.

Edited by onzenuub