Hi again,

Some time ago, Bluebrixx released the instructions for their „Classic US truck“, designed by "Adrian". While it’s not called a Peterbilt (due to licensing issues, I suppose), it very strongly resembles the iconic Type 359.
However, the model has some flaws, the most obvious being the one-piece windscreen. So I revised the model and built it using genuine LEGO® elements. Apart from a completely different paint scheme, I implemented countless modifications and improvements to make the model more prototypically accurate, for example:

• narrower wheels (using the new tyres from the VW T2 set)
  • poseable front wheels
  • larger and more realistic air cleaners
  • redesigned hood with entirely new grille and prototypical cutouts for the air cleaner piping
  • improved attachment of front fenders
  • split windscreen with vertical wipers
  • revised cab and sleeper interior
  • new engine
  • larger doors
  • at least rudimentary underbody detailing with exhaust pipes and drive shaft 

And here’s what it looks like:

900x600.jpg

900x600.jpg

900x600.jpg

900x600.jpg

800x400.png

(last one is a render picture)

More detail photos will be added to my Flickr album in the next days.

Thanks for stopping by!
Sven

Edited by Tenderlok

Thank you!

7 minutes ago, Polarlicht said:

Modern Model Team!

That's exactly what I intended. I really loved the 5580 when I was a kid, and I think this model is kind of a successor.

Edited by Tenderlok

That looks absolutely stunning :wub:. I was for a long time in the process of designing a similar model myself, but I guess I can stop now :wink:

Do you think it's possible to squeeze in some hand-of-god steering, e.g. via the spare tire? With some trailers it would be fun to play with I'm sure, or is it too fragile?

Thank you @ludovisser !

1 hour ago, ludovisser said:

Do you think it's possible to squeeze in some hand-of-god steering, e.g. via the spare tire?

That question never occured to me, as I built the Peterbilt solely as a display model.
It may be possible at the cost of sleeper interior detailing (photos will follow), but I don't think it would make much sense:
Due to the steering geometry, the steering angle is very limited - the wheels would rub against the fender for greater angles. With the parts available, I think it's not possible to change this - it would require steering arms that fit inside the wheels.
Don't hesitate to send me a PM if you're interested in the .io file.

Not a fan of American longnose trucks, but the model is superb, with beautiful detailing at such scale. Ingenious use of the spanners as windscreen wipers :thumbup:

For the steering, perhaps with the sacrifice of some underside detailing, a virtual pivot point steering could be fitted? From the looks of it the engine sits quite high with empty space under, so it should be possible. Though it is certain at least 1 stud depth of sleeper cabin detailing will suffer so as to link the steering to the spare wheel... :look:

Thank you for your appreciation!
As I said, functional steering isn't important for me. But of course I'd love to see if somebody else comes up with a solution!

Nothing to say, it's simply looks iconic. The Model Team resurrection.

ok, maybe I would redesign the lights in the front bumper, but this is the question of taste, no more.

Looks very nice, those new narrow truck tires sure are a huge improvement over the wide ones. Can't wait to get my hands on'em!

:blush: Mmmm, perfect! It's like old-good Model team trucks have returned but in a smaller scale (but still being such attractive and nice-detailed).

Especially, the wheel covers made of 3*3 pulleys and 2*2 round plates look great! I tried a lot of variants even with the smallest sprockets or ugly builds made of clips and bars but this simple assembly looks amazing! That's why I like to see Scale Models here - they are not only perfect models themselves but also represents some ideas that are technic-only people even may not imagine :thumbup:

Thank you for all your positive feedback! But let's not forget that a significant share of all that praise is due to Adrian, the designer of the original Bluebrixx model.

4 hours ago, Void_S said:

also represents some ideas that are technic-only people even may not imagine

He-he-he... :wink:

7 minutes ago, Tenderlok said:

As promised - here's how the sleeper cabin interior looks like:

Closely. But very cool.

Edited by Milan
Do not quote images from the same page, please.

4 minutes ago, Milan said:

@ efgen86As per guidelines you agreed to, do not quote images from the same page, please.

Sorry. I have not yet figured out how the forum works. I will be more attentive.

Edited by efgen86

1 minute ago, efgen86 said:

I have not yet figured out how the forum works.

I understand. Please read the site guidelines again, and ask in the "Forum information and help" if there is something unclear.

@Milan I beg forgiveness for what I wrote elsewhere - you (and @Jim ) were absolutely right. Scale models DO get more attention here than in the old SMF... :wink:

Edited by Tenderlok

1 hour ago, Tenderlok said:

@Milan I beg forgiveness for what I wrote elsewhere - you (and @Jim ) were absolutely right. Scale models DO get more attention here than in the old SMF... :wink:

Thanks for this.
Your appreciation is one of our goals, and I am glad that SMF models get (even a bit) more attention.

So far it looks like it works.
Since the merge, we could have seen your model as one example, and @Tarix819 military models as other example where it worked greatly.
His models had, at average, 6 replies per models in SMF, while his latest one, the Bateman, posted in the merged forum, had 20 replies. Quite nice, I would say :classic:

I may split and move these observations to the SMF topic in order to keep your truck topic clean.

Really fantastic looking truck and truly in the spirit of Model Team!

Even if you don't pay that much attention to steering, I agree with @syclone to add pivot steering, turned wheel always look cooler with more angle ;-)

Very nice build! Lovely to have scale models here!

This reminds me of the old white American truck in model team. Always loved that model, and this is that with more details! Good work!

On 9/5/2021 at 5:27 PM, Polarlicht said:

Looks really great. Modern Model Team!

This immediately came up in my mind too! Great improvement of an already nice model!

20 minutes ago, Nazgarot said:

This reminds me of the old white American truck in model team. Always loved that model, and this is that with more details! Good work!

Agreed. Great nostalgia kick, with all the modern parts and smooth look. Indeed good work, Tenderlok!

Thank you all!
Indeed, I had the white "Highway Rig" 5580 in mind all the time when I was building this, and consider this new truck to be kind of a modern homage. This is also the reason why there is a spare wheel mounted at the rear of the sleeper cabin, a feature which I haven't seen on real-world Peterbilt 359s - a little in-joke reference to the old Model Team truck.
I saved my pocket money for weeks when the 5580 was announced in the German Lego catalogue in 1990, and went to the toy store every day to see if it finally was there...
When building the Peterbilt, I even thought about using the old "MC 5580" number plates, but unfortunately they are too wide.

Edited by Tenderlok