On 9/12/2021 at 4:35 PM, GerritvdG said:

Cool, it's going to be a massive build!

It's starting to become to big to fit on the table with 2 laptops and still be able to pre-build next parts. Might have to move the YouTube laptop away for extra space.

51476754004_86ccd4df5a_b.jpg

All conveyors with their motor have been constructed (2chain/roller corner conveyors, and a roller conveyor in between them. All parts can move on their own. Only thing left is to start programming (tomorrow) and perhaps add sensors to detect the position of a box.

As a bonus, quickly constructed an AGV this morning (Automatic Guided Vehicle).

It has a roll conveyor at the same height as a corner transfer in upper position, so it can take the pallets, and drive them around, and return back to input of the warehouse.

51489722995_e826662fdf_b.jpg

51489014773_db15d7cc98_b.jpg

The steering angle is unlimted (360+°) so it can position itself in very tight spaces. Had to use the 5.5L axles with stop in middle to prevent the axles sliding out of the diff, anyone has a solution with a shorter axle? It now sticks out 1.5stud on each wheel, but it works fine.

For programming the AGV I will need to wait to the end of next week, I ran out of Micro SD cards to be able to program with MicroPython. And if I start running the AGV I will need a bigger testfield..

Do you really need a differential though? It's not heavily loaded. I bet you could drive just the one wheel, and have the other wheel free-spinning. I don't think it looks bad with a bit of extra axle sticking out either. You could always decorate it with some discs or something.

I have also never been hands on with the new differential, but is it possible to use 4L axle with stop from the inside, before assembling the diff?

Edited by Carsten Svendsen

8 hours ago, Carsten Svendsen said:

Do you really need a differential though? It's not heavily loaded. I bet you could drive just the one wheel, and have the other wheel free-spinning. I don't think it looks bad with a bit of extra axle sticking out either. You could always decorate it with some discs or something.

I have also never been hands on with the new differential, but is it possible to use 4L axle with stop from the inside, before assembling the diff?

I started with a normal 4L axle, it slipped out of the diff after running 20seconds. Then I had the same thought about the 4L axle with stop from the inside, but the way that the gears are put in the diff does not allow axles to be in them before they are in place.

The reason I want the diff is for;

• Knowing exactly at what speed I'm driving, with the diff I can just take the center of the steered axle as turning radius.
  • With the only driven axle being on the inside, or the outside would make a difference on the amount of rotations needed from the motor to make a full (90°) corner, or any steering at all.
  • When steering without driving, the only driving wheel would be the pivot point and the AGV would woble around the driven wheel when making a full 360° turn. With the diff, you can turn the steered axle around as much as you want, the AGV will stay exactly at the same spot as one wheel will go forward, the other backwards and the diff stays stationary. (with a little counter turning for the stationary driving 12T gear on the 28T diff, but this is marginally small compared to the 12T on the 60T turntable).

For the progress further, it's been slow due to having a cold and not feeling fine staring at a screen and thinking to much how to program the HMI (Human-Machine Interface). I want to try fitting the complete control panel on 1 small EV3 screen, and control it with just the 5 buttons available.

I do have the part finished for storing an offline file, so it remembers what box has been stored at what place exactly.

At this point it's starting to be more Mindstorms/programming and nerdy stuff that does not appeal many people, but when it all works the Technic working all together should be fun to watch I hope. It's a huge construction and without having seen a real installation like this one, it is perhaps difficult to imagine how it all works, but I like challenges.

Long time no update as I didn't have much time to build/program as I was building a real 1:1 high bay warehouse for my work.

I now finally finished the HMI (Human - Machine - Interface), it's the communication between the operator (human) and the warehouse+conveyors (machine). Every box added to the system will bring up a keyboard on the EV3 Mindstorms screen to give it a name (for example: Liftarm 7L LBG, Gear 24T DBG, etcetc.) The system constantly updates the current location for every box as it's moving through the warehouse, so when the system is shutdown it starts by loading the offline file to restore the location data.

In the HMI a lot of settings can be selected like, Automatic pulling out random boxes, or only pull out selected boxes (they can be chosen from a dropdown list on the screen as each has its own name). Storage works the same, bring to a random free location or choose where you want it to go. Much more is possible but explaining all is not what everyone here wants I think, so here is a video of some full speed runs bringing away boxes, and pull them out of the rack again.

What I would really want is to make a communication with a phone with bluetooth, where all names would be shown on screen, and select there what boxes should be taken out. Unfortunately I don't know yet how that would be possible. The AGV still needs to be programmed, but I need a better surface to drive on with a coloured line to follow.

Edited by Mr Jos

Would love to see this actually storing pallets of assorted Lego parts, and picking them on request as you build... That would be so cool!

Really great work this! I've silently been following this from the start, and what you have here is a very nice evolution of the system. It's very realistic, and I can't wait to see you demonstrating a delivery system as well. 

Best regards

_ED_

9 hours ago, Nazgarot said:

Would love to see this actually storing pallets of assorted Lego parts, and picking them on request as you build... That would be so cool!

No matter how it is built or programmed, building will take so immensely long as you have to find the part on the HMI first, then wait for it to be fetched. And that's just for one part. Machines like these are often just used for bulk storage, not frequently accessed items.

Regardless, it's amazing to see it in action now, there's a few things that could be smoothed out, but I am very impressed so far!

1 hour ago, Carsten Svendsen said:

No matter how it is built or programmed, building will take so immensely long as you have to find the part on the HMI first, then wait for it to be fetched. And that's just for one part. Machines like these are often just used for bulk storage, not frequently accessed items.

Regardless, it's amazing to see it in action now, there's a few things that could be smoothed out, but I am very impressed so far!

For that I would have to add a long roll conveyor where like 20boxes could be put on 1 by 1 out of the racks. This would have to be all the items needed in a step/bag normally. Then have the HMI tell how many parts need to be taken out of each box. Then confirm to let them be put back, and it should start taking out pallets for the next step etc.

Instead of using a long conveyor to bring out pallets needed, I extended the input chain conveyor so it can run both ways, and added a scissor lift so the pallet can be lifted off so the chain is free again for next box.

I rebuild my 6 degrees of freedom robot arm, which will be able to take the pallet and put it anywhere around.

51662202908_39bd0f93db_b.jpg

51662202778_56c1b2f8ca_b.jpg

51662851665_9de2000202_b.jpg

Need to check the layout and then make a few new cables so the Brick with the HMI is in a better location.

Then need to make the program as reliable as possible so I can take it to events maybe.

10 hours ago, Mr Jos said:

Instead of using a long conveyor to bring out pallets needed, I extended the input chain conveyor so it can run both ways, and added a scissor lift so the pallet can be lifted off so the chain is free again for next box.

I have no idea of what you're talking about

On 11/8/2021 at 5:52 AM, Carsten Svendsen said:

I have no idea of what you're talking about

When I finish it I will make a video, it will show better how it works then 1000 technical words. Right now all bones and muscles hurt from climbing stairs to much today. Put a real crane in a warehouse today (28meter high), tomorrow second one. Went up and down the ladder/scaffolding over 10times with loads of security tools.

Edited by Mr Jos

For those who don't understand what this model is made after;

51671047617_9a84849933_b.jpg

Yesterday finished this real size build.

51672718765_b92fff5e0e_b.jpg

Now got a long weekend to work further on the Lego size warehouse.

I've worked in warehousing and logistics in the past and have seen these automated warehouses in real life - this moc is incredible! I used to write warehouse management software...

Excellent build. Very authentic! 

Got a new video made showing the working of the warehouse, near the end are a few shots from the EV3 screen showing the Interface to control the automatic modes/timings, see the names etc.

Haven't managed to integrate the robotic arm yet, but tomorrow is my last day at work this year so will have more time to finish this project, and I do plan to bring it to event(s) next year.

Cleaned up the cables for all the conveyors, I used some of my spare 2m long ones and had them rolled up, measured the needed length and made new ones.

Meanwhile made a video about how to make these cables, and a short video of the warehouse+robot now working together. Taking out works fine already, returning still has some programming issues.

Edited by Mr Jos

That looks very good! I can't believe the amount of EV3's you have, that must have been expensive.

One thing that really bugs me is that the picker platform is on the piss. Is there a way to straighten it up? 

3 hours ago, Carsten Svendsen said:

That looks very good! I can't believe the amount of EV3's you have, that must have been expensive.

One thing that really bugs me is that the picker platform is on the piss. Is there a way to straighten it up? 

Thanks, most of my EV3's are bought 2nd hand at less then half of retail price.

The problem is that the whole telescopic fork platform is hanging on 1 liftarm, and it's a heavy platform with a motor, a sensor and many gears/guidings in it.

51753241586_6377a924f9_c.jpg

The gears that extend the top platform are under tension so they don't slip, this compensates a little bit. But the top platform also bends because there are only bricks in the length direction, this curves the 8x16 plate.

Then finally, there is to much play in the 4 pins that connect the whole platform to the vertical sliding arm. I have already tried to adjust it, but haven't found a way yet to make it like this.

51753241556_e131ef6210_c.jpg

Extra progress made; everything has been running in full automatic mode for the first time ever for 10minutes without a crash. Still need a few small bug fixes (and few big ones that are not urgent).

Will fix some and remake my forklift MOC from 42128 and then try to shoot a new movie.

I'm happy that I'm getting this MOC ready for my first event that I will attend ever (in February). :classic:

Edited by Mr Jos

Hmmm, I see what you mean after countless looks and building exercises. I know for a fact though, that you could substitute the 15100 Pin + hole with a couple of 55615 Perpendicular for extra strength, though still not enough to nullify the flex of the big plate.

Something like this maybe? I assumed there was no wires as it looks like Bluetooth comms anyway.

You could add a triangular leverage arm underneath the assembly to keep it upright? I don't know how that would affect ground clearance though, but a small angle is better than nothing at all. Also, I don't know what the structure looks like inside the tower, but do you have wheels on the opposite side of the lift for leverage as well?

0e84788a1b.png

Edited by Carsten Svendsen

6 hours ago, Carsten Svendsen said:

Hmmm, I see what you mean after countless looks and building exercises. I know for a fact though, that you could substitute the 15100 Pin + hole with a couple of 55615 Perpendicular for extra strength, though still not enough to nullify the flex of the big plate.

Something like this maybe? I assumed there was no wires as it looks like Bluetooth comms anyway.

You could add a triangular leverage arm underneath the assembly to keep it upright? I don't know how that would affect ground clearance though, but a small angle is better than nothing at all. Also, I don't know what the structure looks like inside the tower, but do you have wheels on the opposite side of the lift for leverage as well?

Before;

51754563811_ae3f0944e2_b.jpg

After, with your design partially;

51755205934_9f15a6a976_b.jpg

I had to remove the I-beam connecting both '15100'. This part was gripping in my guiderail, and the basket would get stuck and stop lowering.

Before with old design:

51754507866_a36084a4f1_b.jpg

After with Carsten's 55615 pieces:

51753746747_08fdb2c44e_b.jpg

It's not perfect yet, but already better, thanks for the tip! I always thought these 55615 had less gripping, boy was I wrong.

Edit: After testing going up/down slowly I noticed bumping from the 55615 connector in the guiding. This was to a degree that positioning would not go well anymore, so I made a change to the straight connector instead of the L.

51754622991_cd1644b600_b.jpg

Tested few minutes going up/down slowly  and fast and both running very good. The 3L liftarms are just put on the pins to hide them.

And extra note; This morning I've been remaking my forklift alternative from set 42128. Few hours later I have a warehouse rack/pallet destroyer. :pir-thumb:

51755133339_12f14f4cc6_c.jpg

Edited by Mr Jos
Change to Carsten's design to make it smooth running

I had to remove the I-beam connecting both '15100'. This part was gripping in my guiderail, and the basket would get stuck and stop lowering.

Edit: After testing going up/down slowly I noticed bumping from the 55615 connector in the guiding. This was to a degree that positioning would not go well anymore, so I made a change to the straight connector instead of the L.

I wanted to put this angle bracket to keep the assembly as rigid as possible. It seems like it didn't matter too much anyway that you used the straight connector. The biggest change, which I knew, was replacing the single pinholes as they can rotate freely.

I've been there myself many times, trying to find solutions to glide across uneven surfaces. In the end, the best solution is the bulkiest one and that might not work for your application. I see why the 55615 and 15100 was gripping and bumping, something that can only be solved by using even more pieces or a complete redesign overhaul. In any case, if you're happy with it, then that is all that matters.

Spoiler

Before with old design:

51754507866_a36084a4f1_b.jpg

After with Carsten's 55615 pieces:

51753746747_08fdb2c44e_b.jpg

It does look better though doesn't it?

7 hours ago, Mr Jos said:

And extra note; This morning I've been remaking my forklift alternative from set 42128. Few hours later I have a warehouse rack/pallet destroyer. :pir-thumb:

51755133339_12f14f4cc6_c.jpg

Looks good. Merry christmas to you!