Sign in to follow this  
thekoRngear

To Paint Technic Or Not?

The question is just what it is. Before posting the new thread I searched a bit and found this thread where several EB vets advised not to pain the Lego. I understand. However, it was a 2012 thread. These days, more specifically with 42115 I have seen some amazing spray paint-job on the 1:8 supercar. And more recently, the spraying on the wheels of Defender. So, this brings back the question again, is it worth/safe painting the Technic? Are the opinions still the same or changed the views? 

Depends on whom you might ask. A lot of people on Instagram and facebook add "carbon fibre" prints on parts, sticker up a whole model, spray paint it to change the body colour... but then, these people don't build a single MOC by themselves, their only purpose in doing this is to occupy a shelf with a pretty Technic supercar, take some photos and get cred on SNS. Then we have the (relatively) conservative MOCers who might spice up a model with chromed discs here, paint a single part because it is not available in that colour and is absolutely crucial... Finally there's purists - no custom nothing, or just some little additions (i.e - rubber bands, dissasembled shocks...) - and those who use a 3rd party supplier to make up for lack of parts in certain colours (transparent parts for headlights for example) or make a model in a unique colour that isn't common in Technic.

Personally I see no issue with either - it's your turf, do whatcha wanna do. Certainly some spray-painted examples are, well, ugly or really badly done, but nonetheless some are very impressive like Paul Boratko's two tone supercar (see spoiler below). The wheels are the smallest offenders I believe - some colours like Sian's golden ones won't fit each and every MOC, and Defender wheels are only available in black, whereas the "normal" rim of the same size comes in a variety of them. 

Would I do it? Not really. The most I'd do is chrome some discs, but that's because I don't mind using cheaper solutions :wink:, and reusability is key for me, can't afford having something on display or ordering new parts for every MOC.

The abovementioned car:

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

I once painted a whole pile of panels to LBG by hand using acrylic paints. The finish isn't great, but it's close enough for me, at least. Now I'd probably just buy LBG stuff from China, though.

It's your LEGO, do you what you want.  I've painted Technic parts after milling them on the CNC.  You'll probably get better results using an airbrush.

If you paint them, they will become worthless as far as resale value is considered. Beyond that, it's you Lego, do with it whatever you want.

1 hour ago, thekoRngear said:

The question is just what it is. Before posting the new thread I searched a bit and found this thread where several EB vets advised not to pain the Lego. I understand. However, it was a 2012 thread. These days, more specifically with 42115 I have seen some amazing spray paint-job on the 1:8 supercar. And more recently, the spraying on the wheels of Defender. So, this brings back the question again, is it worth/safe painting the Technic? Are the opinions still the same or changed the views? 

Thank you for liking them. I painted these wheels using normal spray paint you can find anywhere. Revell color for the silver accents and on top some clearcoat. But be careful, paints and clearcoat can destroy the Revell paint. Some paints do not like each other. I had some trouble with the black silver defender wheels.

I see it this way. The Sian wheels are painted gold originall (think they are tan underneath) and many other pieces from lego are as well, so why not DIY?

Its your decision. Do what you want. But try on an old part how it look before ruin an expensive Set

I also have the caterham set with painted wheels. Go check https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/186800-mod-21307-caterham-steering-mod/

Edited by Polarlicht

There was an episode of Counting Cars on the TV a couple of years ago where their paintshop sprayed a fan built car.  Might have been someone from on the forum, I can't recall.  

I personally would not paint Lego, but if you have the skills, and don't mind writing off the bricks...

Simply NO; painted pair of futuristic wheels in yellow and LEGO introduced few years later yellow wheels racing medium, so paint onced; regret many times

40 minutes ago, paul_delahaye said:

There was an episode of Counting Cars on the TV a couple of years ago where their paintshop sprayed a fan built car.  Might have been someone from on the forum, I can't recall.  

I personally would not paint Lego, but if you have the skills, and don't mind writing off the bricks...

It was literally posted in the spoiler tags a few post up from you! :pir_tong2:

There are two results when it comes to painting: either it looks really good or it looks really bad. So if you’re going to paint make sure you know what you’re doing. It’s better to have 10 very thin coats than 2 thick ones.
Anyway, I’ll paint if LEGO doesn’t deliver what I need in a certain color. I’ve built well over 40 different supercars in all shapes and sizes and the usual red and white and black gets very boring very fast. Building in colors such as yellow, green or blue (or their various shades) is near impossible. Of course I’ll replace the painted pieces whenever LEGO releases them, but at this rate we’ll be waiting until the world stops turning. 

Besides painting is now a legal technique according to LEGO, even custom wheels seem approved :laugh: :wink: 

If you paint, you save buying this piece in that color that is very difficult to find and very expensive, you use the same piece in the cheapest color in the store and you save a lot, it is the advantage of painting, but I do not suppose that it is not well paint, I only do it in extreme cases. 

I think its 100% up to the individual. Do the hobby however you enjoy it :classic: 

But personally... it's not really for me. You really have to know what your doing to match the colour and get the look right. I used to do spray painting at an old job and it's definitely not as easy as it looks (avoiding runs, making sure the layers don't look too thick etc...). In terms of technic pieces there's also the extra challenge off painting all the pin/axle holes. If you never plan on taking the model apart it'll be ok, but once you continuously push pins and axles in and out the paint will surely wear off a bit. As others have mentioned the resale value is practically zero too.

Only thing I would consider painting are rims as the current options are quite poor... But even then its easier and cheaper just to buy them from china in the colour you're after. 

Thanks a lot to everyone for their responses, advises, insights and helps. I think this thread can be used as a reference thread to anyone who is willing to (spray)paint their Lego Technic parts but are legitimately hesitated.

From all the responses what I acquire is this: It would be best not to (spray)paint Lego. If it has to be, then it better be an extreme case or it should be the parts which are a portion of the set that are not frequently accessed (i.e., clutching the pins), the wheels, and, are not intended for resale.
And, if the latter ones are the cases, then it is better to practice it on old parts, have to make sure what I'm doing. Here, patience and practice are actually quite mandatory to get a good/satisfactory results.

Again thanks to all specially @syclone and @LvdH

Spoiler

Yes, I get it it is my hobby/my set. So, I can do whatevea it please me, but deep down we all know, there are certain cases where it is best not to do what my intentions want to do. In that cases the experiences, views, and facts from the people of EB matter the most :classic:

Plastidip might be a good option as you can easily peel it off again, though it might also hinder connectivity as it can be quite thick.

I tend to only buy rego in colours that aren’t available in official Lego colours or if the official part is so rare that  the price is stupidly high. Recently I have been considering painting some faring panels in dbg as go bricks don’t even do them.

Some things i have in a group photo

ulIgOv9.jpg

Before someone asks: that yellow truck is an old old old moc.

Edited by Polarlicht

3 hours ago, Polarlicht said:

Some things i have in a group photo

Before someone asks: that yellow truck is an old old old moc.

Personally, I think the standard 911 wheels are perfect for the car but each to their own.

Edited by Milan
Do not quote images from the same page, please.