Hi guys

Recently, I finished another model. It is a tractor unit inspired by Scania S-Series trucks. It has 6x4 drive and suspended axles. The front axle is suspended with normal LEGO hard shock absorbers. The rear axles have rubber suspension which imitates air-suspension as used in real trucks. The suspension at the rear axles is a bit hard but chassis is in return flat. The fifth wheel as a self-locking mechanism so that you can couple a trailer easily.  To open the fifth wheel a small linear actuator is used. For steering a PU L motor sits directly on the front axle. For propulsion I used two PU XL motors. But check the pictures and video: 

Instruction at Rebrickable: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-86508/FT-creations/6x4-tractor-unit-inspired-by-scania/#details

IMG_7070.JPGIMG_7080.JPG

Very good design, especially the front is very recognizable. Well done!

Great MOC as usual from you Simon. I really like suspension on your truck

Oh man I am just searching for a nice rear suspension and the idea of the rubber part as an cushion is brilliant. :-)

Another brilliant thing is the fixation of the fifth wheel, so smooth for clicking in and out.

Can I ask what gear ratio you used for the driving XL-motos to the wheels?

20 hours ago, GerritvdG said:

Now I dream of a version with a red cab :wink:

Is already realized by @HUWIhttps://bricksafe.com/pages/Huwi/770s It works but guess it need some adustments because not alle parts in white are also available in red. 

8 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Nice :wub:. I especially like the smooth blend of technic and system parts

Yes, I like it but tried to reduce the system parts to a minimum. But the front needed some. 

7 hours ago, Polarlicht said:

Awesome!!!

7 hours ago, 1gor said:

Great MOC as usual from you Simon

Thanks guys

7 hours ago, 1gor said:

I really like suspension on your truck

Me too and it saves a lot of space at the rear axles. 

6 hours ago, Jundis said:

Oh man I am just searching for a nice rear suspension and the idea of the rubber part as an cushion is brilliant. :-)

Another brilliant thing is the fixation of the fifth wheel, so smooth for clicking in and out.

I'm glad you like it and hope it helps with your models

The gear ratio is 2.33:1 from the motor shaft to the axle. Actually, the gear reduction is only at the new diff

Beautiful truck. I especially like the mudguard/fender region, we all know how hard it is make a nice round shape around the wheel, especially in two levels that fit together :sweet:
I like your 8x4 dump truck model a bit better, just because it resembles the real P series Scania a tiny bit more (which is nitpicking, since you didn't chase the exact carbon copy), but this tractor unit is more slick and elegant!
Your TGS 6x4 is still my favorite.

Also, always nice to see the designer of a model is here to discuss and to help answer the questions of the viewers :thumbup:
Frontpaged :wink:

Very nice design and great performance in RC, congrats!

Just one thinng: the ground clearance is quite low on the front side, is it on purpose?

1 hour ago, Celeri said:

Just one thinng: the ground clearance is quite low on the front side, is it on purpose?

Every time the suspension bottomed out and the front hit the sand/rocks, I cringed. Does the bottom liftarm not get badly scratched up?

On 9/3/2021 at 7:03 PM, Milan said:

Beautiful truck. I especially like the mudguard/fender region, we all know how hard it is make a nice round shape around the wheel, especially in two levels that fit together :sweet:
I like your 8x4 dump truck model a bit better, just because it resembles the real P series Scania a tiny bit more (which is nitpicking, since you didn't chase the exact carbon copy), but this tractor unit is more slick and elegant!
Your TGS 6x4 is still my favorite.

Also, always nice to see the designer of a model is here to discuss and to help answer the questions of the viewers :thumbup:
Frontpaged :wink:

Thanks for the nice words and the front-page link. It is more and more difficult to model new generation trucks with round sections at the hut. First, I tried with panels and bionicals but in the end it worked for me best with half stud liftarms. The mudguards I copied partly from the dump truck but you are right it needs something round above the mudguards and this is the tricky part. Actually, I also like the 8x4 dump truck a lot because I like construction vehicles. But I think the 6x4 tractor unit has a lot of potential with the right trailers and lets many options open for creativity. Sure, the MAN TGS 6x4 is a convincing model with all the functions and clean hut built we system bricks. But this time I tried to built clean truck with Technic. Furthermore, the MAN looks clean from outside but I would be hard making instruction out of it, because it is a mess inside and I also used some illegal building techniques. The 6x4 tractor is almost a clean built inside and you can feel it when building it according to the building instruction. 

On 9/3/2021 at 7:56 PM, Maaboo35 said:

Grill is a work of art.

This was also the hardest part of the model to design and it need at least three versions. I'm glad you like it. 

On 9/3/2021 at 7:56 PM, MajklSpajkl said:

Good build. :thumbup: My favourite detail is the fifth wheel. Do you use schock absorbers or a rubber band for auto lock?

Below the fifth wheel a rubber belt is installed. 

On 9/4/2021 at 2:09 PM, Celeri said:

I hoped it looks more bad megablocks :wink:

On 9/4/2021 at 3:16 PM, Ullum Zurt said:

Every time the suspension bottomed out and the front hit the sand/rocks, I cringed. Does the bottom liftarm not get badly scratched up?

Yes, the result were some scratches. But the model is also not made to use it outside. As long as you use it inside it is now problem. Also, the real one has low ground clearance at the front. 

Edited by functionalTechnic

I really like this, very well done!  Just as @MajklSpajkl, the fifth wheel is probably also my favorite part. I just built a version myself from the photo's and it works so well and yet so simple! :thumbup:  I think this should be the "standard" fifth wheel :sweet:

On 9/19/2021 at 8:44 PM, ludovisser said:

I really like this, very well done!  Just as @MajklSpajkl, the fifth wheel is probably also my favorite part. I just built a version myself from the photo's and it works so well and yet so simple! :thumbup:  I think this should be the "standard" fifth wheel :sweet:

Thanks, I'm glad you like and that you can use it. 

Hi guys
I present you my WIP of the trailer for my Scania tractor with remote controlled sliding curtains. It is powered by Powerd UP L motors and the BC2 app. I'm happy how it works and lookinf forward to finish this model soon. 

Edited by functionalTechnic

That works amazingly well! Do you have just a string at the bottom or also one at the top?

Edit: @vascolp my page wasn't refreshed, so I didn't see your comment - but great question! :)

Edited by Arie