Jack Sassy

The right side of Johnny Thunder's hat.

(If anyone thinks this would fit better somewhere else, for instance, in community sub-forum, then feel free to move it.)

Hello everyone,

I've been thinking rather recently of Infamous adventurer Johnny Thunder's Australian hat, as we all know, one side of it is lifted up. However, sometimes the side which is lifted up is represented differently, sometimes on the right, sometimes on the left.

3055-1.jpg?199810121200

^ Here is 3055 Adventurers Car, which is a promotional set from the original wave. As you can see, Johnny's hat has the left side lifted up, however, some of the other sets from the same wave show his hat having the right side lifted up:

1182-1.jpg?199901220811

5918-1.jpg

And so on, only 5988 The Temple of Anubis (name depends where you live) shows his hat with the right side lifted again:

5988-1.jpg

Next two waves have similar pattern going on, with few exceptions, then we get to Orient Expedition, the fourth and last wave, here we see his hat lifted on the left side in every set:

7410-1.jpg?200212130131

7419-1.jpg?200301030605

Even 70815 Super Secret Police Dropship shows his hat with left side lifted.

70815-1.jpg?201402170929

So, after this long introduction, my question is - on which side is his hat considered to be correctly lifted, left or right? All answers, theories and so on shall be greatly appreciated. :thumbup:

Jack Sassy

I think it has something to do with driving a car

Adventures introduced the pre-fab two-seat car piece

Johnny had an alter-ego in Australia

Does that add up?

Edit : That's my head canon anyway (he's an aussie to me) but we all know it's just TLG being lazy and not giving af :pir-bawling:

Edited by 1974

38 minutes ago, 1974 said:

I think it has something to do with driving a car

Adventures introduced the pre-fab two-seat car piece

Johnny had an alter-ego in Australia

Does that add up?

Well, I suppose. :grin:

I just never understood about that upside down thing with Aussies.

40 minutes ago, 1974 said:

he's an aussie to me

Well, I think the original (and official) backstory is him being an Aussie.

The hat is a living creature that lifts its brim on either side based on the elements and emotion at a given moment.  Of course, since we only see these single-moment-in-time frozen plastic likenesses, it appears at first glance like a simple raised hat brim that changes sides at random.

Huh, I never noticed this inconsistency. Looking into this, it seems that even the instructions and promotional material are pretty inconsistent about this. Sometimes a set will even have it on one side on the box art and on the other side in the instructions which makes this even more confusing. Then again, the Adventurers theme is no stranger to confusing inconsistencies. :laugh:

I'd say it's whatever side you/Johnny want it to be on, but if you need to settle on a side, I'd say it should be on his left side. That's what TLG seems to have settled on in the most recent sets and I believe it's where the lifted side is usually worn on in real life on this type of hat.

7 hours ago, deraven said:

The hat is a living creature that lifts its brim on either side based on the elements and emotion at a given moment.  Of course, since we only see these single-moment-in-time frozen plastic likenesses, it appears at first glance like a simple raised hat brim that changes sides at random.

I should've noticed it earlier. 

3 hours ago, Oky said:

I'd say it's whatever side you/Johnny want it to be on, but if you need to settle on a side, I'd say it should be on his left side. That's what TLG seems to have settled on in the most recent sets and I believe it's where the lifted side is usually worn on in real life on this type of hat.

Oh, I hadn't though of how it is worn in real life, that's a good idea. :pir-thumb: Perhaps it's just Johnny having a fashion crisis. :grin:

2 hours ago, SoupOrFishOil said:

As a kid I always put it to the left.

As a kid I always thought that there's just so much wind around him, that the side of the hat is being lifted up by the wind. :grin::cannon:

As long as the fold is not at the front!! Too many people do that and it causes me anger. 

Often times I have it to the right, it just looks better to me. :shrug_oh_well:

19 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

As long as the fold is not at the front!! Too many people do that and it causes me anger.

You might want to have a word with Cunningham:

adv020.jpg

23 minutes ago, Peppermint_M said:

Eh, never did like that guy!

I found him rather strange and out of the blue. It might because I've never really read much into the Adventurers lore (as loose as it may be) but despite it all, his appearance is weird and so is his name. Feels like another Johnny Thunder opposite, same as Max Villano in the second wave.

If what I have read is correct, it has to do with shouldering and firing a rifle.  The soldiers who wore this kind of hat would keep the upturned part on the side they use a rifle on.

41 minutes ago, Abaddon127 said:

If what I have read is correct, it has to do with shouldering and firing a rifle.  The soldiers who wore this kind of hat would keep the upturned part on the side they use a rifle on.

That would support my argument that it should be on Johnny’s left side. He always carries his revolver on his left. :wink:

Left is right! 

(That printing on Cunningham's torso is awful :sick: never noticed before)

Edited by Robert8

On 9/11/2021 at 11:27 AM, Abaddon127 said:

Ah, that makes quite a lot sense. Just one thing doesn't make sense, why was the hat on the right in few sets?

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

(That printing on Cunningham's torso is awful :sick: never noticed before)

I have similar situation with Ugha Warriors from Indiana Jones, back in the day they looked fine to me, but now, looking at them, I realise how awful they look, even for 2008 standards:

iaj016.jpg

It just feels like Lego was running low on budget, therefore put together this design, threw two of the same minifigures in one set and called it a day, no variety whatsoever. :pir-sick: