Lego Mike

Which Lego YouTube channels are best these days?

There are far more Lego-centric YouTube channels these days than ever before. But that said, I don't really want to spend a ton of free time keeping up with so many new videos. I just want some up-to-date news and insightful reviews, and that's about it.

So which do you recommend?

I had been watching Jang and just2good for many years, but they just don't appeal to me anymore. I can see why tons of people like them. But Jang's all about the Patreon/Twitch streaming thing and "Let me tell you what I think about these photos I just saw," his review videos are repetitive (after watching him for five or six years), and, well... He seems to nag and be annoyed with his viewers most of the time. I dunno. Rarely a video passes without him making some back-handed remark about what he imagines viewers might be thinking or saying in the comments. It's weird 'cause he used to seem so affable.

And just2good doesn't seem to be putting the work and planning into videos like he used to. I like his enthusiasm for Lego, and he seems super-positive, but the videos aren't really interesting.

(Again, I'm just saying why I'm looking for new channels. If they still make your socks roll up and down, cool.)

Are there any notably engaging, insightful, innovative YouTube channels I should check out? TIA!

Edited by Lego Mike
Typos, added more context.

The only one I watched a bit of recently was First Order Lego, who contrary to his name does not only do Star Wars related stuff, I honestly haven't a clue otherwise I tend to just be on Eurobricks and Flickr tbh.

His Samurai Temple is fantastic and his room tour made him out to be a very likable guy (imho).

Edited by Dutch Thriceman

I don't follow any. I occasionally watch a review of a set without really caring who does it if there is something that doesn't come across in photos. I prefer photos to videos.

I do not "follow" any YT channel, but when I look for reviews/info on specific sets, I tend to check videos of Sariel and RacingBrick (for Technic) and JANG (for non-Technic) first, if proposed by my search engine. Granted, their style is not evolving much, but this is precisely why I do like this, because I know that their "format" usually answers most of my questions. I also like Sariel's humor with sets' features and his pets. Then, I often double-check with written reviews and photos, especially for big sets or when I am not convinced.

Of course, for sets those 2 have not reviewed, I look at other guys' videos, but often find them rather inconclusive or too ad-like (like "this set has flaws but in the end it is so great you have to buy it, don't forget to click on my (sponsored) link below"), so generally I focus on dedicated blogs or forums such as EB or TechLug (french).

Edited by Celeri

Only one I watch semi regularly is Bricksie. He actually seems like a nice guy and his spending sprees can be quite fun!

I do enjoy BrickTsar quite a lot, though there's not much planning in his videos. It's just bunch of good time with some cold humour and vintage Lego. It appeals to me.

I used to not like just2good at all, but then after seeing his face reveal I feel like he is getting more serious, more mature, and I can respect him now.

JANG is good, but I agree that his videos are long. I have to set some time aside, make a cup of joe or grab a snack, and sit down to watch his long videos. But they're worth it.

RacingBrick is my new favorite. I love the guy, I like how his videos are professional, and he's not afraid to say any criticisms of the products. I hope his feedback helps improve Technic sets in the future.

Another decent Technic channel is Unbrickme. The guy does really nice reveiws of Technic and he films some nice outdoor footage.

I subscribe to Bricksie, Canada's biggest LEGO youtuber. He's pretty good, I enjoy his personality and his engagement with his viewers.

I also like BrickTsar's videos, his vintage collection is awesome, he has a cool basement, and his train videos are my favorite.

Brick Experiment Channel has to be the best LEGO youtube channel of them all!

Edited by NickLafreniere

Jang is still my go to for set reviews but he doesn't review everything anymore. I find he is still the most detailed and meticulous in reviews and have good production value and opinion. Otherwise, I watch youtubers for their knowledge and passion for specific themes;

Occasionally I watch just2good but his videos seem less interesting these days. I would still go to him for cmf and minifigure reviews since that is his specialty.

For Star Wars, MandRproductions cause I find him more entertaining than Solid Brix Studios and he has great passion for the theme. He also goes on crazy spending spree and his VLOGs can be hilarious.

Harry Potter, I follow PotterMinifigPals. She is an Australian with great passion and knowledge for Harry Potter. She does fantastic editing and custom drawings. AshnFlash would be her equivalent for DC/Marvel.

For cities and MOC, I like Alex Nunes. He has a great setup for City and trains and a great collection on display. I love looking at his collection and projects from a more mature AFOL perspective. Same for Bricksie and he sometimes also have interesting discussion topics.

For Disney, it's Emmasaurus. The couple has great vibe and it's interesting to see their shopping spree, city build and disney stuff.

For background chat whilst building, I like The Cool Factor for his Bricks and Coffee or build stream. And brickitect for parent's perspective with young children and he has a podcast called missing pieces. Also love the quarantine cast from Beyond the Brick for that. And they are now back doing conventions.

For leaks, I've been following Brick Clicker and BriQ Foundations as that is their main thing. Otherwise, just check Promobricks but have to just google translate to convert German into English.

I used to watch Jang a lot but he has so many channels now, get confused and he doesn't have big sets early like he used to.  still definitely watch any of his big set review though.

Bricksie is good too, you feel he really likes LEGO.

Otherwise you can always have a look at my channel too XD

On 9/6/2021 at 9:41 AM, chill9394 said:

For Star Wars, MandRproductions cause I find him more entertaining than Solid Brix Studios and he has great passion for the theme. He also goes on crazy spending spree and his VLOGs can be hilarious.

Ryan's a great guy, but his content has a bit clickbaity of late.  I also don't appreciate his campaign to get the UCS Gunship made. (I mean, I blame TLG more for thinking this was a good idea). 

On 9/1/2021 at 12:55 PM, howitzer said:

Not a channel for reviews or news, but Brick Experiment Channel is really great.

I second this, this is pretty much the only lego channel I've watched recently

I would highly recommend watching Duck Bricks. He is a relatively newer YouTuber, having started his channel only last year, but his content has been, in my opinion, the best I have ever seen in the LEGO community. I'll be honest, I have never particularly enjoyed most of the LEGO channels, because to me, they all seem to more or less do the exact same thing. Duck Bricks, on the other hand, has very unique content that no other major LEGO channels have. Unlike most other channels which are centered around specific LEGO themes, DuckBricks is a "everything LEGO" channel, where any LEGO fan, regardless of theme preferences, will find something to enjoy. He is also the owner of one of the largest LEGO collections in the entire world, as evidenced by his many collection tour videos that he makes:

Edited by Lego David

I havent read every comment here but i wanted to say a few things. 
First, AFOL TV it seems has a focus on MOC and many of the vids there has given me some great ideas about MOC.

Second, why the HECK are there SOOOOOOOO many freaking videos talking about building mistakes and things you should not do and how to build wrong and so on? There is a WRONG way to build with freaking legos???? 
This is seriously pissing me off. 
Rule 1 with Legos. There is NO wrong way to play with Legos. End of rule 1. 

It also seems that a lot of the MOC or build tip channels showing tips and tricks are more geared for people with massive collections. Sure, i would LOVE to use 1x4 flats staggered to make a hard wood looking floor. If i had 500 1x4s of the same color. Sheesh. How about some youtube vids that are more noob friendly with smaller collections? Making the most out of a few thousand pieces and what not. 

Sorry, didint mean to hijack this thread. But some of the youtube vids out there area really starting to piss me off. 

Edited by metalgeekzy

6 hours ago, metalgeekzy said:

It also seems that a lot of the MOC or build tip channels showing tips and tricks are more geared for people with massive collections. Sure, i would LOVE to use 1x4 flats staggered to make a hard wood looking floor. If i had 500 1x4s of the same color. Sheesh. How about some youtube vids that are more noob friendly with smaller collections? Making the most out of a few thousand pieces and what not.

You are probably watching the wrong videos. There are plenty that make small builds, like this:

On 9/7/2021 at 5:44 AM, Lego David said:

I would highly recommend watching Duck Bricks. He is a relatively newer YouTuber, having started his channel only last year, but his content has been, in my opinion, the best I have ever seen in the LEGO community. I'll be honest, I have never particularly enjoyed most of the LEGO channels, because to me, they all seem to more or less do the exact same thing. Duck Bricks, on the other hand, has very unique content that no other major LEGO channels have. Unlike most other channels which are centered around specific LEGO themes, DuckBricks is a "everything LEGO" channel, where any LEGO fan, regardless of theme preferences, will find something to enjoy. He is also the owner of one of the largest LEGO collections in the entire world, as evidenced by his many collection tour videos that he makes:

seconding this- chris is extremely knowledgeable and really friendly and he does these intensely detailed videos on really interesting and useful subjects regarding lego such as bricks and pieces, reviewing all the extracanonical bionicle builds, going over prototypes and concept art we've gotten to see over the years. it's a real grab bag of content but well worth the time.

I enjoy several of those already mentioned.  I will just add former Lego designer Tiago Catarino.  I enjoy his reviews and like that he is willing to point out his perceived set shortcomings without being obnoxious about it.

I watch Ashnflash, he makes amazing costume CMF drafts. I also watch PotterMinifigPals, she changed her channel name to HollyonFilm, he covers Marvel and Harry Potter Legos. I'm new to the Eurobricks world and thought, now would be a very good time to join! 

I used to really enjoy Brickvault, mostly for their collection videos. These days they seem to focus on Lego news. This is a shame in my opinion, because I get those by following forums such as this one. DuckBricks is a solid suggestion, and I only recently found that channel. Beyond the Brick is another no-brainer, since they feature collections, museums, MOCs, and quite a bit of stuff that can keep you entertained for long. Also, for those of you into Super Heroes, MiniSuperHeroesToday is a great channel to subscribe to.

On 11/19/2021 at 3:37 AM, BrickHat said:

I used to really enjoy Brickvault, mostly for their collection videos. These days they seem to focus on Lego news

I feel the exact same way. I used to really love their LEGO collection videos too, and honestly, that was the main thing on the channel that I watched. But they kind of went into a decline ever since most of the other guys working there left, and Jack was the only one who remained. Now, all he does is just cover the news and Top 10 MOCs of the week alone, which I still watch occasionally, but not with as much enthusiasm as I used to. 

The fact that the vast majority of LEGO channels mostly focus on covering the news really bothers me. If you want to keep up with the news, it is much easier to do so from Brickset or other sites like that, but it feels like everyone on YouTube is doing it for some reason. I guess it is a quick and easy way to get views, but you're not really gonna keep yourself a consistent audience if that's all you do. 

I don't watch a TON of Lego videos on YouTube unless there are video reviews, and even those I often watch without sound just to get better angles on parts of the build when new sets come out.

That said, I did start following Tiago Catarino for his awesome build videos! Tiago is a former Lego set designer and his various tutorials are some of the best I've seen in terms of simple and effective builds you can use in your own MOCs. His set reviews are also great—a nice thing about set reviews from a former Lego designer is that his critiques tend to be more informed about the kinds of constraints set designers have to work with than your average run-of-the-mill reviewer.

Another set designer who has their own channel is grohl666 (Milan Reindl), a current Technic designer who does fantastic alternate builds—often of the Technic sets he's designed but also branching out to other themes like Ninjago or Nexo Knights on occasion.

EB's own Sariel also has a great channel when it comes to Technic reviews. I'm sort of a casual Technic fan at best so it's great to see reviews of new sets from somebody who has a better grasp of how effective various builds and functions are. As a bonus, most if not all of Sariel's reviews come with adorable pet cameos!

My current favorite channels are Robin Hood Bricks and Alex Nunes.  Robin Hood  Bricks has put together a well done city with quality moc's.  I do skip out on this Wednesday videos as they are haul videos (no interest in the subject).  Alex just seam like a genuine quality guy and the channel is not focused on making revenue.  Feel more excited about the hobby after watching these guys video's, isn't that really what its all about?

Agree with other about Jangbricks.  Jang says his passion is for moc's but spends 99.9% of the time reviewing current sets and a lot of them he does not like.  Seams like he has lost his passion for the hobby, maybe time to try something else?  I am not following him on any other platform then Youtube.

I used to follow Bricksie but seams like he is tearing his city apart every other week.  Should put that energy into making moc's or something unique for his channel.  

Lot of the other Channels out there are on the negative side.  Too much negativity in my day to day life.  Looking for more positive channel to follow...this is supposed to be a fun hobby after all.