efferman

42131 Cat D11 Mods and improvements

Here is my progress so far , my goal is to have 2 hubs with 7 motors. the pictures shown bellow show the d11 with 1 hub and 6 motors , with some adjustments to the cab i can easily fit the second hub , but i have made the choice to start from scratch again , i want the 2 angle motors that stick out the back of the dozer to be hidden , on the real life machine the top wheel is the one that powers the tracks , i will be relocating both motors to drive the top wheel and that will make the model look much better IMO , if you have any questions or any tips that could help me feel free to let me know :classic:

D11 modD11 modD11 mod

I've finished building this set in Studio. The only missing parts are the tracks.

016qJZm.png

I'll take a break for some days and then I'll start the PF conversion mod.

Great stuff nugnug . . and I look forward to the results after moving the drive motors.

Your skills far outshine my 'Heath Robinson' style of building so please keep us updated.

So far I've had to locate the second hub in the engine bay but I wonder if the chassis could be adapted . . . . yet another couple of rebuilds methinks.

2 hours ago, jon hirst said:

Great stuff nugnug . . and I look forward to the results after moving the drive motors.

Your skills far outshine my 'Heath Robinson' style of building so please keep us updated.

So far I've had to locate the second hub in the engine bay but I wonder if the chassis could be adapted . . . . yet another couple of rebuilds methinks.

haha i appreciate it , believe me your pictures helped me a lot when i was adding the second pair of linear actuators , and are both your hubs stacked on top of each other then ? i know on the original model the hub is located underneath the engine bay , im assuming you had to remove the whole v12 engine in order to fit the 2nd hub in ?

1 hour ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Is one PF battery box enough to power 6-7 RC functions?

if you are talking about the old power functions i believe the answer is yes , i have used 1 battery box that had 2 receivers connected to it , each receiver had  3 motors connected to it so i had a total of 6 motors , only issue is one receiver can only have 2 different functions assigned to it , so you can have a total of 4 motors assigned to one receiver, but 2 motors will be used for the same function and the other 2 motors will be used together for another function , with the new powered up system , 1 hub can support 4 motors that can all do different functions   

On 10/4/2021 at 12:36 PM, efferman said:

Maybe a minor Problem, but the Trackwidth of the chassis is 4 studs to wide to be in scale.

I've been taking measurements and comparing them to the available specs. I think that closest to scale for track width (track gauge) is to reduce it by 2 studs (1 stud on each side). I've changed one side of mine and the clearance around the frame looks correct. Skinnier would require making the frame and body narrower as well or using narrower tracks, but it's also farther off 1/18 scale.

Regarding scale, the 42131 seems to be more closely modeled after the CD (Carry Dozer) variant. The D11 CD has a wider track shoe and dozer blade than the D11. Other than the tracks, thing measure pretty well at 1/18 scale.

I'll take that back, it doesn't represent the CD variant. The blade shape does not match that of the Carry Dozer (or Carrydozer, depending on which Cat documentation you look at). It also seems that the specs on Cat's D11 page misrepresent the blades. Looking at dealer pages, it looks like the blade represents the smallest coal U-blade (https://www.petersoncat.com/products/new/coal-u-blades/6346-m3-830-yd3) in 1/18 scale, though the blade seems to be 1 stud short. We can try to justify the excessively wide shoes as based on the CD variant at ~1/16.6 scale instead of ~1/12.9 scale.

That said, it can be fit with much larger blades (https://www.petersoncat.com/related-products?title=D11T/D11T CD). The biggest they have is 20% wider. I find this image amusing.

C752903?$Type2$

Very early thoughts on the ripper outrigger . . I'm kinda happy with the two blades, the carrier box and the actuator positions but . . . they currently stick out too far (I'm using 2 x 11 stud tapered panels to try and mimic the original), and I've ordered 2 shorter actuators (I'm building this thing mainly from my existing parts), the drive motors are way too intrusive and almost in the way and as hard as I try I cannot come up with a decent idea for the 2 uprights above the weight box . . . need Lego to produce more triangles and slopes !

Next . . yet another rebuild (or several).  I've already narrowed the footprint very slightly but need to narrow the main chassis by the previously mentioned further 2 studs.  Then get both control boxes into it, 245581415_6821132491237862_4086914201495the 4 primary motors and go from there.
Sheesh !

Edited by jon hirst
a mistake

2 minutes ago, jon hirst said:

Very early thoughts on the ripper outrigger . . I'm kinda happy with the two blades

In the interest of accuracy, I feel the need to point out that ripper blades are called "shanks". :classic:

Guys . . . some thoughts please . . .
3rd rebuild and going for the 6 motor 2 hub one in a reduced width chassis.  I'm already using the old 5 stud tracks so this combination will reduce the apparent width by 4 studs and if I stretch the whole thing by just say . . 2 studs I think it'll look far better, but . . .
I'm rubbish a clever gearing and gearboxes . . preferring to keep it somewhat straight line pretty basic stuff.  So, keeping the 'base frame' the same height as the Lego original, I can get the outrigger and lower ripper motors as shown here . . . they would be better in that remaining lower void but as said my gearing abilities are limited . . and above the 'void' and below the cab I plan to put 2 motors to work the front main blade and the ripper angle thingy.
So I'm just looking for better ideas before I get started please !
Would it be worth laying the 2 drive motors down into that wasted void ?

245645073_6823070184377426_5201703102897

Edited by jon hirst

The problem with laying the drive motors over is that they will hang down an additional stud, below the nominal clearance level of the original design.

Didn't even think of that . .  thank you . . 

So until some clever person finds a way to but the drives to the upper wheels . . they stay put :pir-cry_happy:

I've been wondering if anyone has actually tested that. I've been moving stuff around in that void (since I gutted the transmission) to move the motors, but I'm concerned that there won't be enough contact area and pressure on the track at the upper sprocket. I'm worried it will result in a lot of slip and make the model less functional.

27 minutes ago, jon hirst said:

So until some clever person finds a way to but the drives to the upper wheels . . they stay put :pir-cry_happy:

ive been working on moving my drive motors to power the top sprocket, the ideal goal is to have no outer support holding the top sprocket wheel up like on the real machine , i most likely will need to have one though , also my entire track design is custom , the track uses one more link on each tread then in the original d11 set , the tracks are plenty tight so slipping wont be an issue  , this is a super super rough design ive made 

D 11 mods

D 11 modsD 11 modsD 11 modsD 11 mods

@nugnug115

I see you got 8 rollers in there to match the real machine. Were you able to do a bogie setup on each pair?

Edited by westphald
Fixed user mention.

3 minutes ago, westphald said:

@nugnug115

I see you got 8 rollers in there to match the real machine. Were you able to do a bogie setup on each pair?

Unfortunately not , i wanted to make everything as solid as possible so each roller is pinned into the track frame with 2 pins on each side of each roller , of course the rollers can still rotate 

8 hours ago, jon hirst said:

It looks like @efferman was already solving this problem, at least via LDD? 

On 10/16/2021 at 6:00 PM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I've finished building this set in Studio. The only missing parts are the tracks.

I'll take a break for some days and then I'll start the PF conversion mod.

Would you mind sharing the studio file with the community? It would be much appreciated. Thank you 

Edited by Milan
Do not quote images from the same page, please.

A few pictures with the track the left track moved in 1 stud.

I'm not too please with how I've supported the motors in place of the frame, but it seems to work well enough. However, I can't put the fake PTO looking thing back on there.

QmRyh4gmGPuAbRyjE6rZ37RiJ6QvanGdUphkBt2HQmY3cmt3J9PEWKbW3RZiPmVHDFYBn4Sv5DCdCuDxQmSp9CzwZx6RK2nK48yTy1rCLKjcCcWrRo2cger8QmPmQb4LkZwbU6bEro6uviGnVDLnxkt2YyBqxGScQmVRv8yWskBTaD3dobrFioX66tASfDTj3W258gCGQmaA1uXM58EExVDBT47m4eNU5vpEFSC1vc9LtHkRQmVGYFVW6N9dE9pRoHU9pLjubhMaVcsidV6vTmVC

1 hour ago, westphald said:

A few pictures with the track the left track moved in 1 stud.

I'm not too please with how I've supported the motors in place of the frame, but it seems to work well enough. However, I can't put the fake PTO looking thing back on there.

looks good , are you going to be adding the additional 2 linear actuators to have the ripper have more functionality , also what is a PTO ?