efferman

42131 Cat D11 Mods and improvements

improvements to a design that nobody's actually seen yet?!! I know the drive goes to the 'wrong' sprocket, but to suggest an improved placement of motors etc when the original in largely unknown seems a bit presumptuous to say the least...

...updates post-release, without the internal, commercial restrictions of tlg is a valid project. But currently there's been 2 pics and a video. A little premature i feel. 

20 hours ago, TeamThrifty said:

improvements to a design that nobody's actually seen yet?!! I know the drive goes to the 'wrong' sprocket, but to suggest an improved placement of motors etc when the original in largely unknown seems a bit presumptuous to say the least...

...updates post-release, without the internal, commercial restrictions of tlg is a valid project. But currently there's been 2 pics and a video. A little premature i feel. 

If you have a look around there is a lot more than just two pics, even on Lego.com where it is listed for sale coming soon (unless you are in NZ) 

Enough info for some of us to have worked out a lot of details and started building our own copy.

237272281_2892369067759958_6742659884121

How powerful are those angular motors for tracks in compare with PF XL or L motors? Because I was thinking about to build it with PF functions.

1 hour ago, mnpumar said:

Is anyone considering modding this set to look more realistic

There's no way of modding it, to be more realistic it has to be rebuilt from scratch.

28 minutes ago, suffocation said:

light-years ahead

Thats a bold statement. Some may consider it better in some areas, but 'light years' is a pretty unrealistic claim... but feel free to add supportive evidence! 

(ps Its a great moc, not knocking the builder, just questioning the hyperbole used...)

1 hour ago, M_longer said:

There's no way of modding it, to be more realistic it has to be rebuilt from scratch.

The blade is built separately...Perhaps we can start there :classic:

40 minutes ago, TeamThrifty said:

Thats a bold statement. Some may consider it better in some areas, but 'light years' is a pretty unrealistic claim... but feel free to add supportive evidence! 

(ps Its a great moc, not knocking the builder, just questioning the hyperbole used...)

All the evidence you need is in Sheo's thread. He packed way more detail and intricacy into a considerably smaller package and without the benefit of parts such as planetary hubs and flip-flop beams, neither of which was available back then.

On 9/22/2021 at 6:09 PM, suffocation said:

All the evidence you need is in Sheo's thread. He packed way more detail and intricacy into a considerably smaller package and without the benefit of parts such as planetary hubs and flip-flop beams, neither of which was available back then.

I'm not sure it's a very fair comparison.  Sheo's model looks amazing but no technic set is ever going to look like that because that's not the style they are going for.  There are other reasons as well but they just aren't aiming for that.  In terms of functionality I don't think there is a huge difference.  Sheo's has a proper ripper, this has blade tilt.  His is more compact but pretty sure he didn't have to fit a large scale V12 in it, or a large battery box.

Personally I think the CAT could certainly be improved but it's not a bad model, setting aside price for a moment.  Nobody asks what the price of MOCs are after all.

I'm eagerly waiting to see what the final @efferman version will look like.

Sheo's model uses tons of System bricks for exterior, which makes it look great, but that's not Technic. While TLG also uses a few System pieces here and there, Technic models are usually almost completely built from Technic pieces, even when System could've been used for much better effect - but as others said, that's not the style of Technic.

@M_longer used the 42030 set as the base for creating this masterpiece: 

It seems like something similar can be done with 42131 to create a much more realistic looking model. 

17 minutes ago, mnpumar said:

@M_longer used the 42030 set as the base for creating this masterpiece: 

It seems like something similar can be done with 42131 to create a much more realistic looking model. 

If you want a scale model maybe check out CCM or diecast masters range of CAT replicas. Every single technic licensed set has some compromises when it comes to scale looks. I’ve been around D11’s and I can’t see how people are complaining. Take a look at the Eric trax pr776 dozer if you want to see something that needs lots of extra work to be cleaned up to a acceptable level.

2 minutes ago, Richombx said:

If you want a scale model maybe check out CCM or diecast masters range of CAT replicas. Every single technic licensed set has some compromises when it comes to scale looks. I’ve been around D11’s and I can’t see how people are complaining. Take a look at the Eric trax pr776 dozer if you want to see something that needs lots of extra work to be cleaned up to a acceptable level.

I’m not complaining, it’s a great set. This thread is about mods and improvements and I think there is a lot of potential for adding more realistic details.

2 hours ago, Richombx said:

Every single technic licensed set has some compromises when it comes to scale looks.

Defender looks awesome. Best looking Technic set to date. But it is not motorized. Each motorized set has some issues in scaling.

1 hour ago, M_longer said:

Defender looks awesome. Best looking Technic set to date. But it is not motorized. Each motorized set has some issues in scaling.

Mainly because the frame of the model has to accomodate the relevant motors.

1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

Mainly because the frame of the model has to accomodate the relevant motors.

No, becuase designer had to stick to LEGO rules. 42131 for example is too wide. It could be easilly narrower, but there's a 11x5 frame with diff between drive motors.

17 hours ago, mdemerchant said:

no technic set is ever going to look like that because that's not the style they are going for

The Mack Anthem and the Land Rover beg to disagree. As for the rest, I'd much rather pay double top dollar for Sheo's model than regular top dollar for TLG's because, unlike the former, the latter has bugger all in terms of interesting and/or innovative building techniques. But hey, to each his own :classic:

16 minutes ago, suffocation said:

The Mack Anthem and the Land Rover beg to disagree. As for the rest, I'd much rather pay double top dollar for Sheo's model than regular top dollar for TLG's because, unlike the former, the latter has bugger all in terms of interesting and/or innovative building techniques. But hey, to each his own :classic:

Neither of those have anywhere nearly as much System parts as Sheo's model, so the argument still stands that they represent completely different styles.

has anyone figured out a way to use 2 more linear actuators for the ripper ? the 2 fake ones used look terrible , i would assume we would need to add another technic hub to power them though , also any chance of a triple shank configuration , i think that would look much cooler than just a single one  

23 minutes ago, nugnug115 said:

i would assume we would need to add another technic hub to power them though , also any chance of a triple shank configuration , i think that would look much cooler than just a single one  

To make it properly move whole model must be rebuilt from scratch.

3 minutes ago, M_longer said:

To make it properly move whole model must be rebuilt from scratch.

im building the model right now , do you think if i removed the gearbox from it , there would be enough space for one more L motor and an extra hub ? and i would keep the 2 angle motors in there same position  

Edited by nugnug115

4 hours ago, nugnug115 said:

im building the model right now , do you think if i removed the gearbox from it , there would be enough space for one more L motor and an extra hub ? and i would keep the 2 angle motors in there same position  

No idea, really. Frame is enormous, it could look the same form the outisde as stock 42131, while having 7 motors and two hub inside.

First simple mod

51547021794_3d3e3c52d4_z.jpg

2 hours ago, M_longer said:

No idea, really. Frame is enormous, it could look the same form the outisde as stock 42131, while having 7 motors and two hub inside.

Yep, but the frame and trackwidth should be more narrow.

51545499212_3cc2476b3c_z.jpg

51546541388_4e471dd4ce_z.jpg