Sign in to follow this  
Waterbrick Down

Heroica: Glory Amongst The Stars - Mission #5: Slay Ride

48 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

. It's a bit blizzardy, but that's why you have a guide. Don't tell me you folks didn't bring your winter coats to an ice planet." 

I am starting to I should brought a few more of these "aluminum foil blankets" with me. But having ancestors that lived in the polar regions should give me an genetic advantage. Plus I have MILES here to help keep us warm. 

/// You are assuming my power cells will last long enough in an extended emergency. 

9 minutes ago, Endgame said:

"So the guides. They know how to protect themselves? Their help will be much appreciated, but if we encounter anything gnarly I want to know if they know how to defend themselves."

What about this "Old Neil's Boy" that Mr. Softpaw mentioned, is he in any good condition now? 

14 minutes ago, Duvors said:

Enson stood pensively looking over the map for a moment.  After a few seconds he leaned forward and said "If no-one has any objections, my suggestion is we head due east towards the Scjálftosten Pass and then circle clockwise around Lake... Hrienea? - I'm sorry, it's very hard to read blue-on-blue, - Hitting all these places as we go."  As he spoke he indicated the named locations with his finger.  "Afterwards we return to Vindkoss.  Is that satisfactory?  Any comments or suggestions?"

This is more of a comment, we might have to circle the area a few times to make sure the area is safe for the racers. 

1 hour ago, Endgame said:

"I'll have to take the strong coffee," Decker says. He wasn't quite certain that anything that could get him boozed up on a new planet was the brightest idea.

"So the guides. They know how to protect themselves? Their help will be much appreciated, but if we encounter anything gnarly I want to know if they know how to defend themselves."

Decker's coffee arrives, this new pot being particularly strong (+2 Strength for next Battle).

51412373089_1b40b26d20_t.jpg
"Most of them do, you'll find the majority of the guides in the stables next door. Up to you who you hire, but I'd stay away from Geomi, he's a bit wet behind the ears."

59 minutes ago, samurai-turtle said:

What about this "Old Neil's Boy" that Mr. Softpaw mentioned, is he in any good condition now? 

"He'll be fine, was banged up pretty good and in and out of consciousness for a week, but he's making a good recovery.

5 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Ice is what happens when you get water really really cold round these parts. You from a desert planet?"

"Nope, space! So cold that Oxygen can freeze and you don't want to go melting it!" Aysu shook her head, taking a sip of the coco. "All sorts of chemicals and gasses can freeze up and if you start to thaw them, the heat can ignite it. If you've put any atmosphere in, big boom time!" She drank down the last of her coco. "I guessed it wasn't gonna be oxygen, we can all breath easy, but some crazy elements out there look like water ice until they're not!" 

13 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

This is more of a comment, we might have to circle the area a few times to make sure the area is safe for the racers. 

"So you think we should circle back along our route once we've seen every area?  Seems reasonable enough, I'll take it under advisement."

9 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

"Nope, space! So cold that Oxygen can freeze and you don't want to go melting it!" Aysu shook her head, taking a sip of the coco. "All sorts of chemicals and gasses can freeze up and if you start to thaw them, the heat can ignite it. If you've put any atmosphere in, big boom time!" She drank down the last of her coco. "I guessed it wasn't gonna be oxygen, we can all breath easy, but some crazy elements out there look like water ice until they're not!" 

"I mean," Enson spread his hands, "calling space cold is something of a misnomer, what with there being no atmosphere.  If anything space is hot because..."  At this point Enson realized he was lecturing to someone who had spent most of their life in space.  "...but I'm being pedantic.  Yes, pretty much anything can be found in a frozen state in space.  But I assure you," he smiled, "if it were that cold here we'd all already be dead."

18 minutes ago, Duvors said:

"So you think we should circle back along our route once we've seen every area?  Seems reasonable enough, I'll take it under advisement."

"I mean," Enson spread his hands, "calling space cold is something of a misnomer, what with there being no atmosphere.  If anything space is hot because..."  At this point Enson realized he was lecturing to someone who had spent most of their life in space.  "...but I'm being pedantic.  Yes, pretty much anything can be found in a frozen state in space.  But I assure you," he smiled, "if it were that cold here we'd all already be dead."

Their are multiple reasons to it. Time being the biggest if the race is not going to happen in few week and we go out tomorrow the creatures could just return later. 

10 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

Well, if you two want to get technical if most of us got thrown out to "outer space" without a pressure suit we would pop before we freeze. The atmosphere not only insulate it pushes on our outsides. It seems most entertainment does not show it because it is slightly gross and probably a hopelessness to bring that character back, a real downer I guess. 

13 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Most of them do, you'll find the majority of the guides in the stables next door. Up to you who you hire, but I'd stay away from Geomi, he's a bit wet behind the ears."

"He'll be fine, was banged up pretty good and in and out of consciousness for a week, but he's making a good recovery.

And most likely all different prices to boot. 

Well it is good he is recovering. Maybe we should talk to him to get some information. 

5 minutes ago, samurai-turtle said:

Well, if you two want to get technical if most of us got thrown out to "outer space" without a pressure suit we would pop before we freeze. The atmosphere not only insulate it pushes on our outsides. It seems most entertainment does not show it because it is slightly gross and probably a hopelessness to bring that character back, a real downer I guess. 

"That's not..." Enson shook his head, "...nevermind."

21 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"To the North East corner there. The racers filter through Scjálftosten Pass after leaving Vindkoss and head north. It's a bit blizzardy, but that's why you have a guide. Don't tell me you folks didn't bring your winter coats to an ice planet."

Ronin is not amused by Mervin's sarcasm but remains level-headed.
FRa4548.jpeg
"My suit is capable of withstanding the cold desert nights, not blizzards on a frozen planet.  I simply wish to ensure the safety of my team and I."

"I hope not, Kristal Ice hired out a mercenary company to kill it a few months back. It was looking to nest near the vents."

Ronin attempts to use his skills in deception to see if Mervin may know if the Rime Drake is related to the mission.

21 hours ago, Duvors said:

Enson bowed.  "I personally am well prepared, I even brought sunglasses."

Enson stood pensively looking over the map for a moment.  After a few seconds he leaned forward and said "If no-one has any objections, my suggestion is we head due east towards the Scjálftosten Pass and then circle clockwise around Lake... Hrienea? - I'm sorry, it's very hard to read blue-on-blue, - Hitting all these places as we go."  As he spoke he indicated the named locations with his finger.  "Afterwards we return to Vindkoss.  Is that satisfactory?  Any comments or suggestions?"

FRa4548.jpeg
"I am in agreement Ensonvilterayquis," Ronin oddly pronounces Enson's name nearly perfectly.
"It is a simple and efficient plan."

19 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

Decker let out a low whistle.

"And I thought me and ma had a rough time being scrappers on Akharif. At least there was an atmosphere around us when we worked.. I guess you gotta be thankful for what you got, huh?"

Decker flipped up his mask to take a sip of the coffee, shuddering a bit. "Oh. Oh yeah. That's the stuff."

"I'm good with Enson's plan too. Although I'd say we ought to run it past the guides? If they give us the thumbs up I'd say we're golden."

"Mervin, any gut feeling on who you think we ought to be bringing along? Noted on the Geomi thing, although I gotta tell ya, I probably feel the same way he does sometimes."

5 hours ago, Yzalirk said:

Ronin is not amused by Mervin's sarcasm but remains level-headed.
FRa4548.jpeg
"My suit is capable of withstanding the cold desert nights, not blizzards on a frozen planet.  I simply wish to ensure the safety of my team and I."

Ronin attempts to use his skills in deception to see if Mervin may know if the Rime Drake is related to the mission.

MM Note: Detecting if someone is being truthful would be insight. Deception is more for if you are trying to decieve someone.

Ronin Insight Proficiency Check (DC 1) - (4, 5, 2) 2 Successes

Ronin is confident that Mervin is being honest.

2 hours ago, Endgame said:

"Mervin, any gut feeling on who you think we ought to be bringing along? Noted on the Geomi thing, although I gotta tell ya, I probably feel the same way he does sometimes."

"Well, Gunnar has been at it the longest, but he can be a bit crotchety. You could check with Sigrún but she can be a bit picky with her clientele so you'll have to impress her."

"Ooo boy. Time to make our best impressions then!" Aysu shook her head, "We don't want to put anyone off helping us!" 

"Indeed." said Enson, rolling up the map.  "If no-one has any further questions, I suggest we move on to finding a guide.  Oh, and may I keep this?"  He held the map before Mervin.  "If you do not mind, I think this would come in very handy."

On 9/1/2021 at 1:27 PM, Duvors said:

"That's not..." Enson shook his head, "...nevermind."

Oh, I get it now, I am grossing you out. I guess that is what happens when you (or me in this case) spends to much time in a hospital. 

On 9/1/2021 at 10:17 PM, Endgame said:

Decker let out a low whistle.

"And I thought me and ma had a rough time being scrappers on Akharif. At least there was an atmosphere around us when we worked.. I guess you gotta be thankful for what you got, huh?"

At least one of you get what I was talking about. 

"Well, Gunnar has been at it the longest, but he can be a bit crotchety. You could check with Sigrún but she can be a bit picky with her clientele so you'll have to impress her."

If it comes to the worst, we will just have to use this Geomi even if he is a novice. We all got to start somewhere. 

7 hours ago, Duvors said:

"Indeed." said Enson, rolling up the map.  "If no-one has any further questions, I suggest we move on to finding a guide.  Oh, and may I keep this?"  He held the map before Mervin.  "If you do not mind, I think this would come in very handy."

"Please do. Here," The Cricet hands the group a wallet of 500 credits. "Feel free to keep the change from what you don't pay your guide there." Mervin drains his mug before standing and seeing the heroes off. "Well then, you'll find the stables next door. Thank you for your help, if you can aid us in keepin' the Ivishin from being cancelled, you'll be doing our town a great favor. Good luck."

The heroes head out into the cold, thankfully the wind had died down and the snow fall lessened. The quite crunch of their boots through the snowdrifts is interrupted by shrieking from the skies as an alarm bell sounds throughout the town. Gray shadows fall across the sky as ice covered raptors descend upon the heroes and the townsfolk.

PREPARE FOR BATTLE!

51420084972_ecbcc7d233_b.jpg

Round 0
Aysu Initiative Check - (6, 2, 6, 2) 2 Successes
Ronin Initiative Check - (4, 1, 2, 4) 2 Successes
Decker Initiative Check - (4, 5) 2 Successes
Enson Initiative Check - (2, 5) 1 Success
Polaris Initiative Check - (2, 6) 1 Success

Party

48966140126_7e3935929e_t.jpg Ensonvilterayquis (Enson) (Duvors)
60 cycles old male Quo'ri
Character Points: 0/13
Vitality: 5/5 6/6
Velocity: 2
Strength: 1 2
Skill: 2
Smarts: 2
Spirit: 2/2
Proficiencies: Insight 1, Medicine 2, Melee Weapons 1, Religion 2, Survival 1
Spells: Healing Light, Purging Font
Credits: 20
Equipment: Void Star Hammer (+1 Melee Elemental), Utility Belt (Tool, grants +1 Engineering or Medicine Check Successes)
Inventory: Nanite Elixir 2x, Plasma Potion 3x

ice_bear_mech_profile.jpg Polaris Ursaring [with M.I.L.E.S.]  (samurai-turtle) 
15 cycle old female "Chimeran" 
Character Points:  0/13 
Vitality:  8/8 
Velocity:  2
Strength: 
Skill:  2 3
Smarts:  2
Spirit:  1/1
Proficiencies: Coding 1*, Engineering 1 (+1, tool), Medicine 1 (+1, tool), Melee Weapons 1, Nature 1,  Short Range Weapons 1, 
Spells:  Elemental Evocation, 
Credits:  
Equipment: Mecha Strike (Standard, Kinetic, Melee Range Weapon), Utility Belt (tool) Grants +1 Engineering or Medicine Check Success, 
Inventory:  Whirlwind Boomerang (Standard, Elemental, Short Range Weapon), Plasma Potion (x2)

51248320975_bcf967b704_t.jpg Aysu Kundakçı (Peppermint_M)
22 Rotations Old, Female? Adopted Human.
Character Points: 0/13
Vitality: 6/6
Velocity: 2 3
Strength: 2
Skill: 3 4
Smarts: 1
Spirit: 1
Proficiencies: Long Range Weapons 3, Nature 1, Survival 1
Spell: Enhanced Vision
Credits: 75
Equipment:  Environment Safe Ammunition "ESA" Rifle (Calibrated Long Range, Energy), Farsight Goggles
Inventory: Plasma Potion 2x, Essence of Glibness

FRa4548.jpeg Ronin (Yzalirk)
[REDACTED] Male [REDACTED]
Character Points: 0/10
Vitality: 5/5
Velocity: 2 3
Strength: 1
Skill: 3 4
Smarts: 3
Spirit: 0/0
Proficiencies: Athletics 1, Deception 1, Melee Weapons 2, Stealth 1
Known Spells: None
Credits: 10
Equipment: Cloaking Generator, Hard Light Katana (Calibrated Energy Melee Weapon)
Inventory:

DmpTTOh.png Decker DaCabe (Endgame)
24 year old male Human
Character Points: 0/10
Vitality: 6/6 7/7
Velocity: 2
Strength: 3 4
Skill: 2
Smarts: 1
Proficiencies: Melee Weapons 1, Short Range Weapons 2
Credits: 10
Equipment: Unloaded Pistol (Calibrated Kinetic Melee Weapon), Sandblasted Cuirass (Standard Kinetic Armor)
Inventory:

Enemy

51421749805_cb25c5792a_t.jpg
Frost Hawk A
*Immune to Restrained*
Vitality: 2/2
Velocity: 5
Strength: 1
Skill: 2
Smarts: 1
Proficiencies: Acrobatics 2, Melee Weapons 2, Perception 3
Equipment: Icicle Talons (Standard Elemental Melee Weapon)
Passive Abilities: Flyby - The Frost Hawk may move away from a player without provoking an Opportunistic Attack

Frost Hawk B
 *Immune to Restrained*
Passive Abilities: Flyby - The Frost Hawk may move away from a player without provoking an Opportunistic Attack

Frost Hawk C
 *Immune to Restrained*

Frost Hawk D
*Immune to Restrained*

Frost Hawk E
 *Immune to Restrained*

Frost Hawk F
 *Immune to Restrained*

I don't know how the rest of want to handle this but I am moving a little closer to them. I don't see a better opportunity to try this new weapon out than now. Alright Whirlwind Boomerang let's see what you got. 

Moves to f3 and takes out Whirlwind Boomerang 

Decker double takes as he sees winged shadows descend over the snow.

"Aw, hell, guys, these things look quick!"

He unholsters his gun, levels it at the nearest Frost Hawk, and then remembers.

"...Aw, right."

Decker moves to H4 and takes a swing at Frost Hawk F.

Edited by Endgame

14 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

Oh, I get it now, I am grossing you out. I guess that is what happens when you (or me in this case) spends to much time in a hospital. 

There was a moment of silence, during which Enson's posture seemed to stiffen slightly.  That came to an end when he turned to face Polaris with an unnervingly blank expression.  "Miss Polaris," he said, pulling on one of his absurd mittens, "I have seen the bodies of people who were caught in train wrecks without squirming.  I have also seen people shot, stabbed, blown up, run over, crushed, cut open, and otherwise gruesomely slain, and have even done a few of those things myself from time to time."  He pulled on another mitten.  "My statement just now," he continued, "was in reference to the factual incorrectness of your assertion.  People do not explode violently in a vacuum - unlike, say, balloons, which are both considerably more fragile and have a much higher internal pressure."  He donned a third mitten.  "Unlike balloons, people have bodies that are quite capable of keeping their insides inside by applying pressure to their contents, though civilization has devised a great many means of circumventing that." he said as he donned his final mitten.  "While holding one's breath in a vacuum will cause lung damage, it will not violently rupture the organ, nor will a person's blood instantly freeze or boil thanks to retained body heat and the aforementioned pressure.  One's unpressurised saliva however will start boiling very quickly, around the same time one passes out from lack of blood oxygenation."  He flicked open his sunglasses and slid them onto his face.  "The sudden extended lack of external pressure will result in very slight expansion, but the most that results in is a severe case of the bends.  And of course there is the severe sunburn from being exposed to unfiltered solar radiation."  He tightened his scarf around his neck.  "All in all, do not call me squeamish.  I didn't fight in the Civil War for nothing you know.  Now I believe we have a sled team to hire."  With that he strode out the doo-

11 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

PREPARE FOR BATTLE!

"Ah."

"Phooey."

Recovering from the loss of wind in his sails, Enson immediately made the unfounded assumption that he was in charge and began barking orders.  "Decker, stay where you are!  Ronin, protect Aysu!  Polaris... keep doing that, good idea."

Enson will move to E2 and attack Hawk D.

@Peppermint_M @Yzalirk @Endgame

(OOC: Decker can attack Hawk F just as well from where he is, moving there will only isolate him from support.  Aysu is in a much worse position, having no Melee capability and being out of optimal range of every enemy except D. If possible I recommend Ronin moving to D3 and attacking Hawk C first, with Aysu moving to D4 before making her attack.)

2 minutes ago, Peppermint_M said:

So does this mean I am mis-reading range ability on the grid system? 

(OOC: Long Range weapons have an optimal range of three squares away from the wielder. You can still attack enemies outside or inside your range, but you'll take a scaling negative (-1 per square) for every square off they are. Currently attacking Hawks A through C from your position will net you a -1 to the attack due to them all being one square inside your optimal range.)

1 hour ago, Duvors said:

There was a moment of silence, during which Enson's posture seemed to stiffen slightly.  That came to an end when he turned to face Polaris with an unnervingly blank expression.  "Miss Polaris," he said, pulling on one of his absurd mittens, "I have seen the bodies of people who were caught in train wrecks without squirming.  I have also seen people shot, stabbed, blown up, run over, crushed, cut open, and otherwise gruesomely slain, and have even done a few of those things myself from time to time."  He pulled on another mitten.  "My statement just now," he continued, "was in reference to the factual incorrectness of your assertion.  People do not explode violently in a vacuum - unlike, say, balloons, which are both considerably more fragile and have a much higher internal pressure."  He donned a third mitten.  "Unlike balloons, people have bodies that are quite capable of keeping their insides inside by applying pressure to their contents, though civilization has devised a great many means of circumventing that." he said as he donned his final mitten.  "While holding one's breath in a vacuum will cause lung damage, it will not violently rupture the organ, nor will a person's blood instantly freeze or boil thanks to retained body heat and the aforementioned pressure.  One's unpressurised saliva however will start boiling very quickly, around the same time one passes out from lack of blood oxygenation."  He flicked open his sunglasses and slid them onto his face.  "The sudden extended lack of external pressure will result in very slight expansion, but the most that results in is a severe case of the bends.  And of course there is the severe sunburn from being exposed to unfiltered solar radiation."  He tightened his scarf around his neck.  "All in all, do not call me squeamish.  I didn't fight in the Civil War for nothing you know.  Now I believe we have a sled team to hire."  With that he strode out the doo-

Recovering from the loss of wind in his sails, Enson immediately made the unfounded assumption that he was in charge and began barking orders.  "Decker, stay where you are!  Ronin, protect Aysu!  Polaris... keep doing that, good idea."

I didn't know you were in any war zone. So you are not squeamish. Well, I don't know about "violently popping" as you put it, probably more like squeezing a pimple. Besides you two made sound like you will instantly freeze once you got pushed into "out space". And excuse me for trying to enlighten people even if I might be wrong. It just the entertainment channels get so much wrong just for the sake of "cool", it get annoying especially when they will never admit that it could be wrong. Don't let me stop you from hiring a guide...

Polaris started to talk to herself. I wonder how much that he had to look up. Wait did he ever toss some one into "outer space" to know all that? I was just going by the stories I heard. 

/// Is their something wrong Polaris. 

No MILES, I was just talking to myself. 

Ok, captain! Their might of been a hint of sarcasm in her voice. 

17 minutes ago, Peppermint_M said:

"Okay, okay tactics..." Aysu "Decker, Switch places?"

"That's Ronin.  Decker is the other man in all-concealing body armor."

"Okay... Guys, you need like name tags or something!" Aysu tried to laugh, but it was a battle after all. "Ok, Ronin, want to switch places?"

Without hesitation, Ronin presses some buttons on his forearm and activates his Cloaking Generator and moves to C3 before attacking Frost Hawk C.

[OoC: I checked the FAQ to see if activating the Cloaking Generator during combat counts as an action and could not find an answer other than some items may be used in conjunction with other actions.  If not, disregard the Cloaking Generator than.  If so, that is totally awesome.]

3 hours ago, Duvors said:

"That's Ronin.  Decker is the other man in all-concealing body armor."

Decker glances over, flips up the visor of his helmet to reveal his face, smirks, and waves. His visage was... that of a 24 year old man's. Not the most secretive thing in the world, one supposes, not that the scrapper seemed like one for too many secrets. "Hey, don't want to expose too much do the elements, aye?"

Decker re-evaluates and realizes he ought to be standing his ground. He plants his feet and still swings at Hawk F.