Sign in to follow this  
Waterbrick Down

Heroica: Glory Amongst The Stars - Mission #5: Slay Ride

4 hours ago, Duvors said:

"The Guffa Flats, according to the map.  Why do you ask?"

From what I seen earlier in the sky... 

1 hour ago, Endgame said:

"Although, I guess the idea of luring it with a carcass alone might be sufficient? And unless we can go back to one of our previous battles and pluck a Frost Hawk out of the snow we need to fight a new battle. My vote remains on going to the Wastes."

Now that you mentioned it, I thought I seen more of those Frost Hawks going towards the flats. 

"Shoot a few birds out of the sky and lure the gator." Aysu shrugged, "Sounds better to go to the wastes. But I am not mucking around with herbs and poison."

15 hours ago, Yzalirk said:

Almost seething with anger, Ronin tries to keep himself together and not lose himself.
FRa4548.jpeg
"Should I have ran towards the gator and fight next to the water?  That is no strategy, that is idiocy.  Luring it out was a better strategy given our circumstances.  I believe my idea is an adequate one in dealing with the beast."

51431956996_e570848a26_t.jpg
"You could have more strategically defended someone or encouraged them, or tried something instead of sittin' like a stiff snowmouse." Sigrun sighs frustrated, "If I had thought you couldn't handle yourselves from the onset, I would have told you. The fact things turned so poor should encourage you to work together better as a team instead of having only a few of you seeming to have your heads screwed on right. That gator's big, but I don't think it's beyond your abilities, especially since I saw how you handled those mongers and the frost hawks back at Vindkoss."

The Cricet finishes packing up the camp onto the sled as the wyrms begin to pull the group toward the Skelfing Wastes. The snow starts to fall again as the heroes begin their survey of the area. After a few hours of travel with little interruption or sightings of hostile wildlife, the group hears individuals shouting at one another and come upon a bevy of arguing Cricet and Kristal Mining employees.

51585447747_19505630f7_z.jpg

51587180900_513a84f99b_t.jpg
"I'm only asking one more time, Rat. Hand over the parts you scrapped, or you will force me to resort to more drastic measures."

51586503888_428604d97e_t.jpg
"Try that and I'll be decorating the snow bank behind you and your friend in a nice shade of crimson."

51586939409_7c72793b93_t.jpg
"Come on Corwin, it don't have to be like this. Let's just report the part as missin'."

51585447912_c3366120bc_t.jpg
"Yeah, otherwise Kristal's going to be missing to employees as well."

Sigrun pauses the sled a few yards out commenting to the heroes.
"More of these squabbles happening every day it seems. Keep moving?"

"Oh for..."
Enson vaulted out of the sled, his face an unreadable mask.  "Ronin, with me.  The rest of you search around for whatever bobble they're squabbling over, it probably got blown off by the wind and landed in a snowdrift or something equally banal."
Keeping a weather eye out in case they were about to be bushwhacked by a bunch of polar bears or something equally absurd, Enson strode over to the bickering clowns and deliberately inserted himself between the two with drawn weapons.  "Hello," he said with an uncomfortably polite inflection, "what seems to be the trouble?"

"Enson, wait, this isn't even our..." Decker says exasperatedly as he rushes off. Decker vaults out of the sled and looks for any misshapen lumps in the snow.

"Sigrun, do you have anything magnetic? Like a compass or something? I'm asssumin' the part we are looking for is metal..."

2 hours ago, Duvors said:

"Oh for..."
Enson vaulted out of the sled, his face an unreadable mask.  "Ronin, with me.  The rest of you search around for whatever bobble they're squabbling over, it probably got blown off by the wind and landed in a snowdrift or something equally banal."

/// It sounds like someone already found it and the other two wants it back. 

40 minutes ago, Endgame said:

"Sigrun, do you have anything magnetic? Like a compass or something? I'm asssumin' the part we are looking for is metal..."

Just because something metal doesn't mean it is magnetic. 

11 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Yeah, otherwise Kristal's going to be missing two employees as well."

Now Little One, is this attitude completely necessary. Now what are you people fighting over? Not this phallic looking thing? 

3 hours ago, Duvors said:

"Oh for..."
Keeping a weather eye out in case they were about to be bushwhacked by a bunch of polar bears or something equally absurd, Enson strode over to the bickering clowns and deliberately inserted himself between the two with drawn weapons.  "Hello," he said with an uncomfortably polite inflection, "what seems to be the trouble?"

Enson Perception Proficiency Check (DC 1) - (1,3,1) 0 Successes

Enson fails to spot any other trouble as he strides confidently into the argument.

"No trouble at all. These fine gentlemen misplaced some parts for a geothermal unit and seem to think we have 'em. I was just about to remind them they aren't on Kristal Ice property anymore and better back up before my piece makes 'em."

1 hour ago, Endgame said:

"Enson, wait, this isn't even our..." Decker says exasperatedly as he rushes off. Decker vaults out of the sled and looks for any misshapen lumps in the snow.

Decker Perception Proficiency Check (DC 1,5) - (6,4,1) 2 Successes

Decker doesn't find anything in the snow.

"Yeah, I've got a compass, but Polaris has got a point, not everything metal is magnetic."

1 hour ago, samurai-turtle said:

Now Little One, is this attitude completely necessary. Now what are you people fighting over? Not this phallic looking thing? 

"Mining parts, as if Kristal Ice doesn't already take away enough from our planet, now they seem to insinuate we've got no principles as well."

"We've got plenty of rights to be mining here, you keep your fantasies in your head, rat."

10 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Mining parts, as if Kristal Ice doesn't already take away enough from our planet, now they seem to insinuate we've got no principles as well."

"We've got plenty of rights to be mining here, you keep your fantasies in your head, rat."

Why would they think you two took the equipment? 

You seem the more reasonable one on your side, how do you know that another group didn't come by and take the equipment? We ran into a "monger group" the other day and they rig up a trap with an older speeder. They even set it on fire and had a puppet dummy. 

24 minutes ago, samurai-turtle said:

Why would they think you two took the equipment? 

You seem the more reasonable one on your side, how do you know that another group didn't come by and take the equipment? We ran into a "monger group" the other day and they rig up a trap with an older speeder. They even set it on fire and had a puppet dummy. 

"Thermal unit's goes down, we investigate and find these two snooping around."

"Just because your equipment is on the border of Cricet territory, doesn't make us suspicious."

"Uh huh, well then empty your packs on the ground and we'll see about that. Otherwise we'll be going through them over your corpses."

"Make one move Kristal, and the wind will be blow through you quicker than it does around you. You've got no right to make any demands here. Heck I'm of the opinion you don't have any real right to be drilling here anyways. Just move along or I'll be making you."

The conflict seemed to be escalating, the heroes would need to do something if the situation was to keep from devolving into a shoot-out."

30 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Thermal unit's goes down, we investigate and find these two snooping around."

"Just because your equipment is on the border of Cricet territory, doesn't make us suspicious."

"Uh huh, well then empty your packs on the ground and we'll see about that. Otherwise we'll be going through them over your corpses."

"Make one move Kristal, and the wind will be blow through you quicker than it does around you. You've got no right to make any demands here. Heck I'm of the opinion you don't have any real right to be drilling here anyways. Just move along or I'll be making you."

How long has this Thermal Unit been down? 

Just imagine the situation in reverse. You are accusing them of taking something from your equipment. Is this how you want to be treated, and all you want to do is clear them of any wrong doing. 

Would you two stop threatening each other, everyone gets it you have guns and are willing to use them. Besides if you put the weapons away you can solve the situation with everyone satisfaction. Now I am sure the rest of my party is willing to be a mediator for your problem. Being a third party that has no real interest in what the outcome might be could be beneficial for all parties involved. But, if you two want to start shooting I know I am willing to deal with both of you. And the only winner here will be usAs Polaris gestures to the rest of the party. And just to be mean I will have MILES smash you questionable looking monolith and on one gets to use it. Not that I want to such a stupid thing at allNow what are you two going to do? Try to be reasonable or get this fight started. 

Enson would like to grab their guns by the barrels and keep them pointed at himself.

"Now now gentlemen, do you really want to be killing each other over a missing part?  That seems... wildly excessive.  It's not like it is a matter of life and death.  Though you seem determined to make it one for some reason."  Addressing the... Human? Elf? - the man in the parka, he said "I am giving you the benefit of the doubt here, but I am assuming you did actually look for the dongle and did not immediately accuse a random passerby of theft?"

Just in case, Enson will briefly scan the Cricet to try and determine if they have the thingy.

5 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

How long has this Thermal Unit been down? 

Just imagine the situation in reverse. You are accusing them of taking something from your equipment. Is this how you want to be treated, and all you want to do is clear them of any wrong doing. 

Would you two stop threatening each other, everyone gets it you have guns and are willing to use them. Besides if you put the weapons away you can solve the situation with everyone satisfaction. Now I am sure the rest of my party is willing to be a mediator for your problem. Being a third party that has no real interest in what the outcome might be could be beneficial for all parties involved. But, if you two want to start shooting I know I am willing to deal with both of you. And the only winner here will be usAs Polaris gestures to the rest of the party. And just to be mean I will have MILES smash you questionable looking monolith and on one gets to use it. Not that I want to such a stupid thing at allNow what are you two going to do? Try to be reasonable or get this fight started. 

Polaris Intimidation Proficiency Check (DC 3) - (2,5,4) 2 Successes

"It's a geothermal unit, not a monolith and you destroy that and you'll have Kristal Ice suing your behind from here to the Nendaran system. It's been down for a few hours, but if you're siding with the Rats, then we've got nothing left to discuss."

"Yeah go crawling back to your luxury heated space tractors, Miner."

2 hours ago, Duvors said:

Enson would like to grab their guns by the barrels and keep them pointed at himself.

"Now now gentlemen, do you really want to be killing each other over a missing part?  That seems... wildly excessive.  It's not like it is a matter of life and death.  Though you seem determined to make it one for some reason."  Addressing the... Human? Elf? - the man in the parka, he said "I am giving you the benefit of the doubt here, but I am assuming you did actually look for the dongle and did not immediately accuse a random passerby of theft?"

Just in case, Enson will briefly scan the Cricet to try and determine if they have the thingy.

Enson Athletics vs. Corwan Athletics vs. Ipwin Athletics - (5,5,4) 3 Successes vs. (2,5,1) 1 Success vs. (3,1,5) 1 Success

Enson manages to point both barrels at himself. The Elf frowns at him.

"Of course, we searched. Besides you'd need tools to take the piece off and this isn't the first instance of our equipment out here breaking down."

Enson Perception Proficiency Check (DC 1,3) - (1,3,5) 1 Success

Enson doesn't spot the part but does spot a toolbag the Cricet Ipwin is carrying.

"Let go of my gun, Ape. I'm a free Cricet and have the right to deal with this in the way I see fit, if the miner wants to impose some sort of justice I won't think twice about defending myself, even if that means extra casualties."

1 hour ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Enson manages to point both barrels at himself. The Elf frowns at him.

"Of course, we searched. Besides you'd need tools to take the piece off and this isn't the first instance of our equipment out here breaking down."

"That may be, but that doesn't indicate that this pair were the ones to remove it.  Unless you have reasons for suspicion that go beyond the circumstantial then threats of vigilante violence are unwarranted.  In fact I would say that they should be a last resort.  Tell me, what is this doodad you're fighting over anyways?  what does it do?"

1 hour ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Enson doesn't spot the part but does spot a toolbag the Cricet Ipwin is carrying.

"Let go of my gun, Ape. I'm a free Cricet and have the right to deal with this in the way I see fit, if the miner wants to impose some sort of justice I won't think twice about defending myself, even if that means extra casualties."

Enson smiled at the armed rodent.  "I am not an ape," he said, "or a monkey, or a simian or even a mammal technically.  I am a member of the phylum Hexapodia, and I'd be obliged if you keep that in mind.  As for your gun, I will release it either when you start being reasonable or when you kill me, so if you really have no qualms about this then I suggest you go ahead and shoot me.  If you would rather not risk injury, death, and criminal charges - that goes for you too by the way" he pointed one of his free hands at the elf, "- then I suggest you all be a bit less racist and hormonal and behave like sane people instead.  Firstly, if you do not have this gewgaw of theirs, then why not just show them?"

OoC: Just so you're all aware, just because me and Decker both failed our perception checks doesn't mean the rest of you can't attempt them. :classic:

After watching the Cricet threaten Enson, Ronin grips his katana and slightly unsheathes it showing that he will spill blood if need be.
FRa4548.jpeg
"Enough!  Your threats end now!  If you stole from the miners, fess up now and we can resolve this peacefully."

Decker's eyes were failing him, not that he was certain that the part was out there in the drifts in the first place. "Ah, right, needs to be... what's the word, ferrous?" Decker's mother had tried to teach him all this stuff back in the day, but a few solid bumps on the head from falling off of excavation equipment ensured those lessons never gelled permanently.

Decker walks over, lifting his mask and puffing warm air on his hands, rubbing them together as he begins to speak. "Well, fellas, murderous threats aside, I think - hope - this is a case of wrong place at the wrong time? I can get why the two guys in the blue parkas are here, it's their job." Jecker nods towards the pair of Cricet. "What was bringing you around here? You said this was the border of a territroy or something? Just passing by or what, what's the story here?" Decker folds his arms and watches the situation unfold, knowing that reaching for his boomerang would just make matters worse.

4 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"It's a geothermal unit, not a monolith and you destroy that and you'll have Kristal Ice suing your behind from here to the Nendaran system. It's been down for a few hours, but if you're siding with the Rats, then we've got nothing left to discuss."

"Yeah go crawling back to your luxury heated space tractors, Miner."

Wait this thing messing with the environment. Isn't that dangerous? If they find any money I will split it with them. If you want contact my home government Ne'xo Chi (Maine) and tell them Polaris Ursaring with her MILES unit is annoying you go right ahead. Would threatening to step on the "rats" convince you I am not on their side? 

Don't some rodents dig snow tunnels to avoid the bitter cold? Why don't your people start doing something similar if the cold is that bad for you. 

Has anyone actually look inside the "geothermal unit" to see if the parts are still there? 

"Oh good grief." Aysu looked to Sigrun. "Do you think everything is going to go like this? I don't want to have to keep pulling their asses out of the fire every time we meet anyone!"

15 hours ago, Yzalirk said:

After watching the Cricet threaten Enson, Ronin grips his katana and slightly unsheathes it showing that he will spill blood if need be.
FRa4548.jpeg
"Enough!  Your threats end now!  If you stole from the miners, fess up now and we can resolve this peacefully."

Ronin Intimidation Proficiency Check (DC 3) - (4,3,6) 2 Successes

"No one asked you to get involved, keep your nose in your own business, Tin Head."

15 hours ago, Endgame said:

Decker's eyes were failing him, not that he was certain that the part was out there in the drifts in the first place. "Ah, right, needs to be... what's the word, ferrous?" Decker's mother had tried to teach him all this stuff back in the day, but a few solid bumps on the head from falling off of excavation equipment ensured those lessons never gelled permanently.

Decker walks over, lifting his mask and puffing warm air on his hands, rubbing them together as he begins to speak. "Well, fellas, murderous threats aside, I think - hope - this is a case of wrong place at the wrong time? I can get why the two guys in the blue parkas are here, it's their job." Jecker nods towards the pair of Cricet. "What was bringing you around here? You said this was the border of a territroy or something? Just passing by or what, what's the story here?" Decker folds his arms and watches the situation unfold, knowing that reaching for his boomerang would just make matters worse.

Decker Persuasion Proficiency Check (DC 1) - (5,2,1) 1 Success

"We were... hunting cryo-storks, trying to restock on supplies."

"Then these two come along and accuse of sabotaging their equipment and yeah, this is the edge of Kristal's power generation plots."

12 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

Wait this thing messing with the environment. Isn't that dangerous? If they find any money I will split it with them. If you want contact my home government Ne'xo Chi (Maine) and tell them Polaris Ursaring with her MILES unit is annoying you go right ahead. Would threatening to step on the "rats" convince you I am not on their side? 

Don't some rodents dig snow tunnels to avoid the bitter cold? Why don't your people start doing something similar if the cold is that bad for you. 

Has anyone actually look inside the "geothermal unit" to see if the parts are still there? 

"You trying to be funny, Chimeran? Of course we checked the unit, our melters are running at lower efficiency with this thing down."

Polaris Engineering Check (DC 1) - (3,2,1)

Polaris looks over at the geothermal generator unit, but can't tell whether it's working or not.

5 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

"Oh good grief." Aysu looked to Sigrun. "Do you think everything is going to go like this? I don't want to have to keep pulling their asses out of the fire every time we meet anyone!"

"The tundra's a harsh place, the folks you meet out here will be harsher. There's no love for Kristal Ice Mining among us Cricet, things are still raw about them being granted mining rights on the planet."

17 minutes ago, Duvors said:

OoC: Err, @Waterbrick Down, are you going to respond to my post?

MM Note: Sorry, somehow missed it. :blush:

20 hours ago, Duvors said:

"That may be, but that doesn't indicate that this pair were the ones to remove it.  Unless you have reasons for suspicion that go beyond the circumstantial then threats of vigilante violence are unwarranted.  In fact I would say that they should be a last resort.  Tell me, what is this doodad you're fighting over anyways?  what does it do?"

"It's a high voltage capacitor, it ensures the thermal unit continues operating smoothly when we have to trigger resets. Vigilante violence wouldn't be necessary if the darn Rat would simply comply and let us search their bags."

20 hours ago, Duvors said:

Enson smiled at the armed rodent.  "I am not an ape," he said, "or a monkey, or a simian or even a mammal technically.  I am a member of the phylum Hexapodia, and I'd be obliged if you keep that in mind.  As for your gun, I will release it either when you start being reasonable or when you kill me, so if you really have no qualms about this then I suggest you go ahead and shoot me.  If you would rather not risk injury, death, and criminal charges - that goes for you too by the way" he pointed one of his free hands at the elf, "- then I suggest you all be a bit less racist and hormonal and behave like sane people instead.  Firstly, if you do not have this gewgaw of theirs, then why not just show them?"

"I ain't going to be bossed around by a miner, I'm sure they've got plenty of parts back at their base to fix the thing. They're just looking for an excuse to assert dominance. They take our land, why not take our dignity as well?"

5 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"You trying to be funny, Chimeran? Of course we checked the unit, our melters are running at lower efficiency with this thing down."

Polaris Engineering Check (DC 1) - (3,2,1)

Polaris looks over at the geothermal generator unit, but can't tell whether it's working or not.

No, just being dumb. Hard to tell anything when 13 people are yelling at each other at once. Besides the thing could of over heat and melted some thing. And nothing could of been stolen in the first place. That is why I asked in the first place. 

Why is it here in the first place? The best I can tell their is nothing else out here. It seems kind of point less just siting in middle of know where. 

21 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"It's a high voltage capacitor, it ensures the thermal unit continues operating smoothly when we have to trigger resets. Vigilante violence wouldn't be necessary if the darn Rat would simply comply and let us search their bags."

"And I will assume that you have the legal authority to pull a stop-and-search on random passers-by, correct?"

22 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"I ain't going to be bossed around by a miner, I'm sure they've got plenty of parts back at their base to fix the thing. They're just looking for an excuse to assert dominance. They take our land, why not take our dignity as well?"

"Is that what this is about?  Dominance?  Do you feel dominated by this nice giant metal lingam?"  He pinched the bridge of his nose.  "I swear, everywhere I go people just refuse the think with their brains.  Fine, you want to assert your dominance?  Go ahead then, shoot me.  Show how much you love your freedom by taking away mine, bravely defend yourself from someone who is trying to help.  Show the world what a big strong man you are by behaving like a petulant child who found daddy's gun."  Enson glowered.  "Alternatively, you can swallow your pride and show your neighbor that his ball isn't in your backyard.  Personally I think that sounds much less emasculating then killing someone because their expensive phallus-device broke."

43 minutes ago, samurai-turtle said:

No, just being dumb. Hard to tell anything when 13 people are yelling at each other at once. Besides the thing could of over heat and melted some thing. And nothing could of been stolen in the first place. That is why I asked in the first place. 

Why is it here in the first place? The best I can tell their is nothing else out here. It seems kind of point less just siting in middle of know where. 

"We've got units all over the Flats, this one's on the border between the Flats and the Wastes. Bunch of buried cables feeding the heat from the planet's core to the melters near our substation in the Wastes."

28 minutes ago, Duvors said:

"And I will assume that you have the legal authority to pull a stop-and-search on random passers-by, correct?"

"As much as you do trying to stop me. You're on Recivic, its hard enough to survive without mangy Rats stealing anything they can get their hands on."

31 minutes ago, Duvors said:

"Is that what this is about?  Dominance?  Do you feel dominated by this nice giant metal lingam?"  He pinched the bridge of his nose.  "I swear, everywhere I go people just refuse the think with their brains.  Fine, you want to assert your dominance?  Go ahead then, shoot me.  Show how much you love your freedom by taking away mine, bravely defend yourself from someone who is trying to help.  Show the world what a big strong man you are by behaving like a petulant child who found daddy's gun."  Enson glowered.  "Alternatively, you can swallow your pride and show your neighbor that his ball isn't in your backyard.  Personally I think that sounds much less emasculating then killing someone because their expensive phallus-device broke."

Enson Persuasion Proficiency vs. Ipwin Insight Proficiency - (5,6,2) 2 Successes vs. (1,6,1) 1 Success

Ipwin glares at Enson before opening up his satchel and emptying its contents on the ground. A large metallic cylinder falls into the snow. 
"Bah, not worth the trouble."

"I was right, all you Rats are the same."

Ipwin starts to walk off followed by his companion.

"Your Council is going to hear about this, our management will be pressing charges."

Corwan turns to the heroes as the Cricet leave in a sled.
"Guess I've got you lot to thank, though I'm sure we could have handled it just fine."

As the pair of Cricet were found to be guilty of theft, Ronin feels some slight satisfaction as he had a hunch that they were thieves.  With the miners talking about there technology just a bit, he begins to formulate another idea in his head to combat the polar gator.

42 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Corwan turns to the heroes as the Cricet leave in a sled.
"Guess I've got you lot to thank, though I'm sure we could have handled it just fine."

FRa4548.jpeg
"Perhaps you could have, but no thanks are required.  I am satisfied that you got your part back from those thieves peacefully." 
Ronin bows.
"Do you by chance have a device or something to super heat a lake?  There is a giant polar gator not too far from here that we could use a little help in dealing with.  It is a fierce creature, too powerful to deal with head on.  Perhaps if you help assist us in killing the beast it will help build better relations between you and the locals."