Sign in to follow this  
Waterbrick Down

Heroica: Glory Amongst The Stars - Mission #5: Slay Ride

2 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

51431956996_e570848a26_t.jpg
"And then it's nothin' but people stoppin' you in the street thinking they know you." Sigrun cozies herself near the fire. "Well we've got enough fuel to keep us warm for a few days, rations for both yourselves the wyrms, the tents of course and bedding. Survival supplies like your compass, shovels, rope, snowshoes, picks, flares. Anything in particular you're after?"

Not really just taking a mental note, as they say. 

27 minutes ago, Duvors said:

"The plan was to circle the lake clockwise, so the Guffa Flats would be our next stop.  But I think there are a few things i think we should deal with before we go anywhere.  Firstly, you need a ranged weapon, you're simply not durable enough to be a frontline-er.  Polaris, do you think you could lend this man your boomerang?"

I guess so... 

/// Don't be surprised if it starts talking to you. Of course it really hasn't said anything since we first got it. 

I think it reads ones mind so it doesn't really need to talk to the user. 

1 hour ago, Endgame said:

"How soon do we have until nightfall, you think? Are we gonna have to set up camp at any point?"

Decker cracks his knuckles. "If there's a next time we tangle with that gator, I can think of a few ways we can debilitate it. Pop a flare in front of its face, blind it, tie up those stupid jaws with the rope, and whack the hell out of it."

"But we should probably keep a move on. What's next, Guffa Flats or Skelfing Wastes?"

"Up to you, it is getting a bit late, but we could manage another trip back to the lake shore if you wanted, otherwise I'd suggest bedding down for the night."

38 minutes ago, Duvors said:

"The plan was to circle the lake clockwise, so the Guffa Flats would be our next stop.  But I think there are a few things i think we should deal with before we go anywhere.  Firstly, you need a ranged weapon, you're simply not durable enough to be a frontline-er.  Polaris, do you think you could lend this man your boomerang?"

"Just so you're aware, considering we're on the South West corner of the lake, we're fairly close to the Skelfing Wastes if you wanted to hit that next."

Deckers gives the boomerang a few cursory tosses in his hand before double taking at Polaris' words.

"Wait, you're not actually serious, are ya?" Decker paused and cleared his mind to try to see if the boomerang was accessing it, but mostly just felt a sense of general unease.

9 hours ago, Endgame said:

Deckers gives the boomerang a few cursory tosses in his hand before double taking at Polaris' words.

"Wait, you're not actually serious, are ya?" Decker paused and cleared his mind to try to see if the boomerang was accessing it, but mostly just felt a sense of general unease.

Well I just got the thing, and how else would you explain the mini tornado the thing produces. I just imagine where I want to thing to go and it just seems to go there. I guess I could try and show you. See that little "snow hill" over there. As she is now holding the Whirlwind Boomerang getting ready to toss it, she makes a pivoting turn about 90° and let's go. The Boomerang flies off making a sharp turning curve twords the hill all awhile making the mini tornado. As it came back towards Polaris...

IT didn't seem to like the last "owner" (of the Boomerang). It though he was creepy or something. Come to think about it, he did have some living sword that literally attached it's self to him. And that sword did say "Holiea" a couple of times. But I think the Whirlwind Boomerang knows this is only a temporary thing, so it might not give you to much trouble. MILES, you could play back the whole conversation right. 

/// It is truly needed, I could. 

8 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

Well I just got the thing, and how else would you explain the mini tornado the thing produces. I just imagine where I want to thing to go and it just seems to go there. I guess I could try and show you. See that little "snow hill" over there. As she is now holding the Whirlwind Boomerang getting ready to toss it, she makes a pivoting turn about 90° and let's go. The Boomerang flies off making a sharp turning curve twords the hill all awhile making the mini tornado. As it came back towards Polaris...

IT didn't seem to like the last "owner" (of the Boomerang). It though he was creepy or something. Come to think about it, he did have some living sword that literally attached it's self to him. And that sword did say "Holiea" a couple of times. But I think the Whirlwind Boomerang knows this is only a temporary thing, so it might not give you to much trouble. MILES, you could play back the whole conversation right. 

/// It is truly needed, I could. 

Decker looked rather amazed at the demonstration, accepting the boomerang after witnessing Polaris' trick shot. "Well... Magic, mind reading, technology, it'll help me out, and I want ya to know I appreciate the generosity. Thanks."

51 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"So what will it be, heroes? Are we bedding down for the night, or heading back to the lake?"

"I'm feeling like bedding down, to be frank. It's been a helluva day."

On 10/14/2021 at 1:18 AM, Waterbrick Down said:

"Come on heroes, lets bunker down. I'll get a fire going and if one of you wants a cup of hot cocoa I'll make you up a mug."

The Cricet begins to unpack a few tents and stakes the sled wyrms down. With their backs to the drift, the wind is cut significantly and soon a warm fire begins to take the chill out of everyone's bones.

Ronin sits by the blazing fire, in hopes to get warm and comfortable.  He nods his head to the Cricet's offering of hot cocoa.  Though he may not show it, Ronin feels defeated, mentally broken by the loss of the fight and nearly his life.

On 10/14/2021 at 3:43 PM, Duvors said:

"Why would anyone want to take that route in the first place?  I thought the route of the race was straight from Vindkoss to the pass and then north, out of this area.  Passing through the lake seems like it would take longer than going over land."

Enson will meditate and cast Sustaining Healing on Ronin.

FRa4548.jpeg
"Thank you Enson."
Ronin says while staring into the fire, clearly not okay.

Ronin decides to get some rest.

Edited by Yzalirk

5 hours ago, Endgame said:

Decker looked rather amazed at the demonstration, accepting the boomerang after witnessing Polaris' trick shot. "Well... Magic, mind reading, technology, it'll help me out, and I want ya to know I appreciate the generosity. Thanks."

"I'm feeling like bedding down, to be frank. It's been a helluva day."

Just don't lose it. I will be annoyed. I spent a good amount of my credits on it. 

It looks like nap time for everyone. I think I will practice some spell casting before I go to sleep... 

29 minutes ago, Yzalirk said:

FRa4548.jpeg
"Thank you Enson."
Ronin says while staring into the fire, clearly not okay.

"Erm... you're welcome."
Enson shifted a bit closer to Ronin.  "Listen," he said, "what happened there was not your fault.  None of the rest of us would have done any better or had a better chance at surviving that attack than you.  It... it can be hard to face your own mortality, to really feel the immediate presence of death, but I think the important thing here is that you are still up and walking and not dead.  Defeat is simply unavoidable in life, and all we can do is live with it."  He shifted slightly.  "Do not think I don't feel bad about it, having more-or-less installed myself as the leader of this group our success or failure is ultimately my responsibility, and I feel that, if anything, what happened is down to my failure to establish a proper strategy."  He sighed.  "Ultimately dwelling on it overmuch won't help.  The best I can recommend is to learn from the experience and try to do better next time.  Sorry."

OoC: @Peppermint_M, Yzalirk, unfortunately only one of you can use the Cocoa. While Aysu asked for it first, I'd actually prefer if Ronin took it, as I feel the defense/speed boost would be more useful on him. Especially since I'd like Aysu to have the lowest initiative they can get when we go after the gator again.

7 hours ago, Duvors said:

OoC: @Peppermint_M, Yzalirk, unfortunately only one of you can use the Cocoa. While Aysu asked for it first, I'd actually prefer if Ronin took it, as I feel the defense/speed boost would be more useful on him. Especially since I'd like Aysu to have the lowest initiative they can get when we go after the gator again.

MM Note: I'm OK if Peppermint_M wants to change this, but would like their consent first.

"Alright, let's get some shut eye then."

The Party beds down for the evening as Ricevec's three moons circle over-head in the clear night sky. The fire burns and crackles as each hero settles in their warm sleeping gear, sleep coming quickly to the exhausted group.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The early morning sun cold and dim begins to break over the horizon. A light dusting of snow covers the tents and gear as the heroes awaken to a brand new day, completely refreshed. The smell of roasting vittles permeates the crisp air as Sigrun prepares breakfast.

"Well your first night out on the tundra and we're not missing any of you yet, I'd call that a success!"

Flocks of cryo-storks fly high overhead chased by a number of frost hawks.

"So heroes, where are we off to today? Back to the Lake or do you want to survey the nearby Wastes?"

9 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

The early morning sun cold and dim begins to break over the horizon. A light dusting of snow covers the tents and gear as the heroes awaken to a brand new day, completely refreshed. The smell of roasting vittles permeates the crisp air as Sigrun prepares breakfast.

MILES you are covered in snow. Why didn't you come inside the tent. 

/// Someone had to stay up for watch duty, and I am the most logical choice. As I do not need sleep, besides I was in low power mode some functions are shut off for obvious reasons. 

Well try to get the snow off you. Nature is calling me and I want some privacy for a few minutes... After answering the call of nature Polaris noticed the birds over head and wonder why none of the birds are harassing the party like back in the village. 

19 hours ago, Duvors said:

"Erm... you're welcome."
Enson shifted a bit closer to Ronin.  "Listen," he said, "what happened there was not your fault.  None of the rest of us would have done any better or had a better chance at surviving that attack than you.  It... it can be hard to face your own mortality, to really feel the immediate presence of death, but I think the important thing here is that you are still up and walking and not dead.  Defeat is simply unavoidable in life, and all we can do is live with it."  He shifted slightly.  "Do not think I don't feel bad about it, having more-or-less installed myself as the leader of this group our success or failure is ultimately my responsibility, and I feel that, if anything, what happened is down to my failure to establish a proper strategy."  He sighed.  "Ultimately dwelling on it overmuch won't help.  The best I can recommend is to learn from the experience and try to do better next time.  Sorry."

FRa4548.jpeg
"Thank you for the kind words, Enson, I really appreciate it.  Perhaps you are right, it is better we left with our lives still intact.  We live to to see another day and that is better than any reward."
Both haunted and reluctant of Enson's kind words, Ronin begins to feel somewhat guilty of his deception towards him and the group earlier.
"Enson, I just want to apologize for my deception earlier.  It was wrong of me to deceive you and the group.  The truth about me is a rather hard one.  One even I struggle to cope with.  I have lived a very long time, longer than you and the group's age combined.  Even I lost count exactly.  Though I was once human, I have not lost my humanity."

12 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Well your first night out on the tundra and we're not missing any of you yet, I'd call that a success!"

"So heroes, where are we off to today? Back to the Lake or do you want to survey the nearby Wastes?"

FRa4548.jpeg
"We already know what is in store for us if we head back to the lake.  The risk is not worth it.  We barely escaped in one piece, no need to tarnish our luck.  That beast surely is not of any issue assuming it primarily stays in the ice.  Best to leave it be."

Decker wakes up, wounds mended and body refreshed. Not a bad night's sleep at all, considering the circumstances. Stepping back out into the brisk tundra air, he gets the chance to appreciate snow again. He found it so beautiful yesterday, until he started pistol whipping people left and right. Now that the din of battle had faded he could look around and take in the scenery again.

He pats himself down and confirms that, yes, he still had the loaned boomerang. Phew.

"I think we ought to go to the Wastes. Maybe if we can figure out what the hell is getting all these animals so worked up we would have a better chance contendin' with big, mean, and scaly."

Enson had been up well before the others, spending most of that time engaged in basic calisthenic exercises.  For the last few minutes however he had been simply been standing at a distance listening to his companions discuss their next move.  Declining to immediately join in, he instead chose to address their guide.  "Sigrún," he said, "may I have a look at those flares you mentioned?"

On 10/16/2021 at 11:10 AM, samurai-turtle said:

MILES you are covered in snow. Why didn't you come inside the tent. 

/// Someone had to stay up for watch duty, and I am the most logical choice. As I do not need sleep, besides I was in low power mode some functions are shut off for obvious reasons. 

Well try to get the snow off you. Nature is calling me and I want some privacy for a few minutes... After answering the call of nature Polaris noticed the birds over head and wonder why none of the birds are harassing the party like back in the village. 

Polaris Nature Proficiency Check (DC 1) - (2,3,1,1) - 0 Successes

Polaris is unsure why the birds fail to dive after them and watches as they fly eastward.

On 10/16/2021 at 2:42 PM, Yzalirk said:

FRa4548.jpeg
"We already know what is in store for us if we head back to the lake.  The risk is not worth it.  We barely escaped in one piece, no need to tarnish our luck.  That beast surely is not of any issue assuming it primarily stays in the ice.  Best to leave it be."

"Like I said, I'll leave it up to you to explain to the committee that one of the raceway tracks is still unsafe, but that's none of my business."

21 hours ago, Duvors said:

Enson had been up well before the others, spending most of that time engaged in basic calisthenic exercises.  For the last few minutes however he had been simply been standing at a distance listening to his companions discuss their next move.  Declining to immediately join in, he instead chose to address their guide.  "Sigrún," he said, "may I have a look at those flares you mentioned?"

"Sure thing." The Cricet hands a flare over for inspection. "Have something in mind?"

Flare - An area of 4 squares or a single Target is lit with Bright Light for one combat round (Consumable)

"Perhaps." said Enson, turning the flare over in his hands.  He was contemplating what course he would recommend to the party.  He knew that allowing the group to dwell overmuch on failure would cause a degradation of morale, and he hoped that by giving them something to do he'd be able to forestall any such malaise.  Normally he'd accomplish this by throwing the group directly into the preparations for the next fight, but this situation was different.  For once, failure would not mean increased precautions, summoned reinforcements, or additional defenses.  Indeed, aside from an increased wariness, it was unlikely there would be any additional complications.  For once in he life he was presented with n unprecedented opportunity, the chance to refight a failed battle.
That could not be allowed to go to waste.
"I think," he said, turning to his companions, "that we should return to the lake.  If what Sigrún says is true then we are obliged to make a second attempt at some point, and the longer we leave it the more depleted our supplies will become and the less chance of success we will have.  The reason we were defeated before was not because our enemy was invincible, but because we had no plan, and were not aware of our full capabilities.  I believe that, if we take the time to form a plan of attack beforehand, victory shall be ours."

16 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Like I said, I'll leave it up to you to explain to the committee that one of the raceway tracks is still unsafe, but that's none of my business."

Angered by the lack of empathy from the rat, Ronin snaps back.
FRa4548.jpeg
"Actually it is your business.  You have not provided any assistance when we nearly got eaten by that beast.  We are risking our lives so you all can have a race.  Entertainment.  You want to impress me?  Tell me about where we can acquire poisons.  What herbs around here are deadly?  And I mean lethal, high chance of death, not the kind that will upset your stomach.  Maybe then we can kill the beast."

18 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Polaris Nature Proficiency Check (DC 1) - (2,3,1,1) - 0 Successes

Polaris is unsure why the birds fail to dive after them and watches as they fly eastward.

What is over that way? Polaris pointing towards the east, asking the whole group. 

2 hours ago, Yzalirk said:

Angered by the lack of empathy from the rat, Ronin snaps back.
FRa4548.jpeg
"Actually it is your business.  You have not provided any assistance when we nearly got eaten by that beast.  We are risking our lives so you all can have a race.  Entertainment.  You want to impress me?  Tell me about where we can acquire poisons.  What herbs around here are deadly?  And I mean lethal, high chance of death, not the kind that will upset your stomach.  Maybe then we can kill the beast."

The Cricet narrowed her eyes,

“Risking your lives and being adequately payed, might I mention. You’re hired to do a job, just like me, so let’s not pretend you’re doing this out of the goodness of your heart. Regarding my part in your last foray, your questions are a little too late and I agree with your leader. Your strategy was lacking and your lucky you made it out of there. If I recall you spent your first moments simply sitting there. If your looking for poisons, we can certainly forage but the variety your describing will both take time and may pose risks of it’s own in generating.”

MM Note: I’m not opposed to this idea, or any in particular, but do note, there won’t be a simple OHKO strategy. You’ll be simply exchanging the risk of combat for the risk of finding, extracting, and handling a deadly toxin. Some characters are better stat’ed for dealing with one type of risk vs. another.

1 hour ago, samurai-turtle said:

What is over that way? Polaris pointing towards the east, asking the whole group. 

"The Guffa Flats, according to the map.  Why do you ask?"

1 hour ago, Waterbrick Down said:

The Cricet narrowed her eyes,

“Risking your lives and being adequately payed, might I mention. You’re hired to do a job, just like me, so let’s not pretend you’re doing this out of the goodness of your heart. Regarding my part in your last foray, your questions are a little too late and I agree with your leader. Your strategy was lacking and your lucky you made it out of there. If I recall you spent your first moments simply sitting there. If your looking for poisons, we can certainly forage but the variety your describing will both take time and may pose risks of it’s own in generating.”

MM Note: I’m not opposed to this idea, or any in particular, but do note, there won’t be a simple OHKO strategy. You’ll be simply exchanging the risk of combat for the risk of finding, extracting, and handling a deadly toxin. Some characters are better stat’ed for dealing with one type of risk vs. another.

Almost seething with anger, Ronin tries to keep himself together and not lose himself.
FRa4548.jpeg
"Should I have ran towards the gator and fight next to the water?  That is no strategy, that is idiocy.  Luring it out was a better strategy given our circumstances.  I believe my idea is an adequate one in dealing with the beast."

Ronin brings his idea up with the group.
FRa4548.jpeg
"I believe we should head out to the Wastes and look for lethal herbs and other hazardous material to use against the gator.  If there are any other predators out there we can can kill two birds with one stone.  We kill any predators, stuff the carcasses with poisons, bring them back to the lake and let the gator feast on the tainted meats.  We cannot engage it in open combat like before, that did no good."

"...I'm not opposed, just in the theory of it," Decker hazards. "I don't think it is for certain that there's any sort of toxins or herbs in the wastes that can help us do a number on the gator. I almost feel like the signal flares and rope alone is enough for us to even the battle out, especially know that I don't need to run up and whack it with a pistol." Decker casually tosses the boomerang up in the air, and it comes back to him, moreso by virtue of gravity and not because of its boomerang-ness. "Although, I guess the idea of luring it with a carcass alone might be sufficient? And unless we can go back to one of our previous battles and pluck a Frost Hawk out of the snow we need to fight a new battle. My vote remains on going to the Wastes."

Edited by Endgame