Sign in to follow this  
Waterbrick Down

Heroica: Glory Amongst The Stars - Mission #5: Slay Ride

Who the heck is who? I don't really care, I guess. I will let the others handle it. Not to sure who she was talking to maybe MILES or any one else that happens to be listing as she goes on. Are these the "wyverns"? They look small I figured they will be bigger. They don't look like they can even carry one person let a lone a part of people. 

/// We might have to be following them on foot. 

2 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

Who the heck is who? I don't really care, I guess. I will let the others handle it. Not to sure who she was talking to maybe MILES or any one else that happens to be listing as she goes on. Are these the "wyverns"? They look small I figured they will be bigger. They don't look like they can even carry one person let a lone a part of people. 

"These are Sled Wyverns, according to our employer, so I assume they'll be pulling sleds that we ride on."

17 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

“Aye, he should be following his sibling soon. My first bred pair.”

"Sweet, this one is a real cutie too," Aysu grinned again. "Oh! Hi, I'm Aysu, I was hired in from Heroica by Mr. Softpaw." She introduced herself to the handler.

Decker double takes when what he thought was a housecat addresses him. He had forgotten what planet he was on.

"Oh! You... You talk," he stammers out. "Ah. Of course you talk, heh. Why wouldn't ya. Anyway, yeah, not too bad of scrap. Just a flock of frost hawks. You must be a guide, right? You're probably all sorts of familiar with them then. Anything else you think we should be on the lookout for in particular?"

8 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

51432198513_c88798dc60_t.jpg
"Oy, newbies huh? Jezebel here just happens to be the lead wyrm of my team. I got a dozen others in back bein' tended to, but I like making sure she stay's comfortable. You take care of a wyrm, they'll take care of you."

4 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

"Sweet, this one is a real cutie too," Aysu grinned again. "Oh! Hi, I'm Aysu, I was hired in from Heroica by Mr. Softpaw." She introduced herself to the handler.

51431957216_b9c9299e06_t.jpg
"That she is, good healthy stock that's what I like to invest in." The Ornithun extends his hand, "Geomi. A pleasure to meet you, Madam."

45 minutes ago, Endgame said:

Decker double takes when what he thought was a housecat addresses him. He had forgotten what planet he was on.

"Oh! You... You talk," he stammers out. "Ah. Of course you talk, heh. Why wouldn't ya. Anyway, yeah, not too bad of scrap. Just a flock of frost hawks. You must be a guide, right? You're probably all sorts of familiar with them then. Anything else you think we should be on the lookout for in particular?"

51431956996_e570848a26_t.jpg
"Never met a Cricet have ya?" The cricet hops down and starts polishing the scales of one of her frost wyrm with a warm sponge. "Well Frost Hawks are the least of your worries if you're heading out on the tundra. When you aren't worried about being someone's lunch, you've got to watch out for the hypothermia and then there's the disorientation, not to mention the hallucinations, and then there's just plain stubbornness which is the silent killer. You've got to know when to turn back for camp. Believe, me I've been running out there for nearly 20 years and reason why I'm alive is I know when to cut my losses. Sigrún by the way."

17 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Oy, newbies huh? Jezebel here just happens to be the lead wyrm of my team. I got a dozen others in back bein' tended to, but I like making sure she stay's comfortable. You take care of a wyrm, they'll take care of you."

"I see.  And you are...?"

On 9/13/2021 at 3:02 AM, Waterbrick Down said:

Geomi. A pleasure to meet you, Madam."

"Good to meet you!" Aysu rembered what their patron had said, about experienced handlers  "Will you be racing this competition?"

3 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

"Good to meet you!" Aysu rembered what their patron had said, about experienced handlers  "Will you be racing this competition?"

"Aye, that's what these two are for. I've got my standard team in the back, but these new beauties are going to give us the edge on the competition. What brings you to Vindkoss?"

13 minutes ago, samurai-turtle said:

Well since you brought it up, what are your prices? 

"Well let's see, you've got yer standard guide fees, then there's everything needed to outfit yer group, followed by the necessary risk adjustments, ammunition, rations, coffee, and rest of the supplies and I'd say you're lookin' at 400 credits. Plus you can count on me to pitch in with my trusty rifle should things turn south."

3 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Well let's see, you've got yer standard guide fees, then there's everything needed to outfit yer group, followed by the necessary risk adjustments, ammunition, rations, coffee, and rest of the supplies and I'd say you're lookin' at 400 credits. Plus you can count on me to pitch in with my trusty rifle should things turn south."

"Ah, excellent!  But tell me," Enson leaned in closer and lowered his voice slightly, "how would you describe your competitors?  They seem perfectly capable themselves."

28 minutes ago, Duvors said:

"Ah, excellent!  But tell me," Enson leaned in closer and lowered his voice slightly, "how would you describe your competitors?  They seem perfectly capable themselves."

"What a bird brained Ornithun and a pint sized stick in the mud? Geomi over there's only been at this thing less than a year, I wouldn't trust him to guide you across town. And Sigrún, yeah she's got plenty of experience and has been at it a long time, but a lot of it comes from survival at all costs, you won't see her helpin' you out in a scuffle. I may be gettin' gray in the whiskers but at least I've got loyalty to a contract."

On 9/12/2021 at 10:02 PM, Waterbrick Down said:

"Never met a Cricet have ya?" The cricet hops down and starts polishing the scales of one of her frost wyrm with a warm sponge. "Well Frost Hawks are the least of your worries if you're heading out on the tundra. When you aren't worried about being someone's lunch, you've got to watch out for the hypothermia and then there's the disorientation, not to mention the hallucinations, and then there's just plain stubbornness which is the silent killer. You've got to know when to turn back for camp. Believe, me I've been running out there for nearly 20 years and reason why I'm alive is I know when to cut my losses. Sigrún by the way."

Decker nods. "Ah, definitely not one of your... stature?" The man says, trying not to be rude. "Cut me some slack here, I'm really sorry. I thought just seeing snow for the first time today would be the craziest thing."

"Although, hold on, hallucinations? What causes those? Disorientation I get, getting spun around with all that wind whipping here n' there makes perfect sense but.... Well, damn. Between you and Aysu I'm learning there are worse places than the desert. As for cutting losses, well, that wouldn't include us now, would it?"

16 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Aye, that's what these two are for. I've got my standard team in the back, but these new beauties are going to give us the edge on the competition. What brings you to Vindkoss?"

"Master Softpaw wanted some Heroes in from Heroica, Something has the wildlife acting up." Aysu shrugged. "We just had to fight off some birds outside, if you heard the commotion." 

11 hours ago, Endgame said:

Decker nods. "Ah, definitely not one of your... stature?" The man says, trying not to be rude. "Cut me some slack here, I'm really sorry. I thought just seeing snow for the first time today would be the craziest thing."

"Although, hold on, hallucinations? What causes those? Disorientation I get, getting spun around with all that wind whipping here n' there makes perfect sense but.... Well, damn. Between you and Aysu I'm learning there are worse places than the desert. As for cutting losses, well, that wouldn't include us now, would it?"

"Depends if you're being stupid or not." Sigrún chuckles, "Follow my advice and lead and you'll make it back alive, I've got a good sense for avoiding unnecessary danger. As for hallucinations, they call it the snow sickness, you're out there looking at nothing but a blank white canvas day in and day out and your mind starts playing tricks on you. Starts filling in the empty spaces to keep from going crazy. Next thing you know, you're trying to take a bath in a snow bank and dying from hypothermia."

6 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

"Master Softpaw wanted some Heroes in from Heroica, Something has the wildlife acting up." Aysu shrugged. "We just had to fight off some birds outside, if you heard the commotion." 

"So that was what all the commotion was about. Hopefully not my variety," Geomi smiles. "I do recall hearing about an uptick in predator attacks, didn't know things were getting so bad they had to call in mercenaries. I'm a bit new around here, but I can guarantee you'll not find a better guide rate around."

"Yes, that's all very good," Enson called out, having overheard the other two conversations, "but would you two mind being a little more comprehensive?  What are your prices and what would we be paying for?"
Leaning in to Gunnar and lowering his voice again he said "Thank you for your advice.  I'll keep it in mind."

20 minutes ago, Duvors said:

"Yes, that's all very good," Enson called out, having overheard the other two conversations, "but would you two mind being a little more comprehensive?  What are your prices and what would we be paying for?"
Leaning in to Gunnar and lowering his voice again he said "Thank you for your advice.  I'll keep it in mind."

"A man that's looking for a bargain. Now that I can appreciate. For a group like yourselves that are trying to help out this fair town, I'd be willing to guide you for 300 Credits. All gear provided, plus all the stories about Aquin you could ever want, I'll even throw in a cask of my Leidenfrost mulled wine as well."

"Geomi lad, the only one's sipping that grape juice are those without a stomach for my scalding hot cocoa. I'm not going to sugar coat it, folks, my experience and my sled wyrms doesn't come cheap. For an expedition out there given the current predatory concerns, you're looking at 500 Credits. Standard equipment, hazard insurance, etc., and my keen sense of danger avoidance all thrown in."

"Pfft, danger avoidance. There's always danger out there, that's why you all will want someone who's capable in a scrap like myself. Like I said, me, my wyrms, fresh brewed coffee, and everything else, 400 Credits."

7 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"A man that's looking for a bargain. Now that I can appreciate. For a group like yourselves that are trying to help out this fair town, I'd be willing to guide you for 300 Credits. All gear provided, plus all the stories about Aquin you could ever want, I'll even throw in a cask of my Leidenfrost mulled wine as well."

"300 credits, that's-"

"Geomi lad, the only one's sipping that grape juice are those without a stomach for my scalding hot cocoa. I'm not going to sugar coat it, folks, my experience and my sled wyrms doesn't come cheap. For an expedition out there given the current predatory concerns, you're looking at 500 Credits. Standard equipment, hazard insurance, etc., and my keen sense of danger avoidance all thrown in."

"500, you gotta be kidding me here, you-"

"Pfft, danger avoidance. There's always danger out there, that's why you all will want someone who's capable in a scrap like myself. Like I said, me, my wyrms, fresh brewed coffee, and everything else, 400 Credits."

"400 credits?! That's - well, less than 500, actually, but I feel like I've never even made 400 credits total in my lifetime."

Decker takes a step back and turns to his party.

"Well, friends, I dunno about you, but I'm thinking a few things. One, this hero business is overrated, and we should definitely just become sled guides on this planet. We'd make a killing. Second of all, I'm not too sure if we even have 100 credits to our name combined. I currently got... carry the two... zero." Decker remarks glumly. "Think they'll take the feathers?"

Edited by Endgame

22 minutes ago, Endgame said:

"300 credits, that's-"

"500, you gotta be kidding me here, you-"

"400 credits?! That's - well, less than 500, actually, but I feel like I've never even made 400 credits total in my lifetime."

Decker takes a step back and turns to his party.

"Well, friends, I dunno about you, but I'm thinking a few things. One, this hero business is overrated, and we should definitely just become sled guides on this planet. We'd make a killing. Second of all, I'm not too sure if we even have 100 credits to our name combined. I currently got... carry the two... zero." Decker remarks glumly. "Think they'll take the feathers?"

Decker recalls the party being handed a wallet of 500 credits by Softpaw.

21 minutes ago, Endgame said:

Aaaammm didn't Mr. Softpaw give us some credits? Actually who is carrying the credit pouch? 

50 minutes ago, samurai-turtle said:

Aaaammm didn't Mr. Softpaw give us some credits? Actually who is carrying the credit pouch? 

(OoC: As no-one claimed it before...)

"I have it." said Enson, holding up the bag and shaking it in a pointed manner.  "Look, would you mind if me and my friends took a moment to discuss this in private?"  He waved the group over.  "It'd only take a moment."

"Right," said Enson to his companions, "firstly, I don't like this Geomi character.  As far as I can tell they intend to add a pair of newborn wyrms to their team in some inane belief that it will give them an advantage in the race.  And apart from that his low prices seem to coincide with low effort on his part - note the lack of peripheral bonuses.  As for Gunnar, what he offers sounds good on paper, but we do not really need another combatant.  At the moment I feel that Sigrún is our best bet.  In all honesty I would prefer to avoid as much danger as possible so that we are better prepared to face what we can not."  He blinked.  "Does anyone disagree?"