Sign in to follow this  
Waterbrick Down

Heroica: Glory Amongst The Stars - Mission #5: Slay Ride

3 hours ago, Duvors said:

Enson smiled.  "I suppose that's true.  Thank you."

Watching Polaris examine the birds, his expression slowly became one of concern.  "You know," he said, "this attack doesn't seem... natural."  He waved his hand expressively.  "I mean, that las bird at least should've made an attempt to escape after it was injured."  He shook his head.  "I do not have a good feeling about this."
Taking out his cold weather survival manual, Enson began flipping through it to see if it could offer any insights into the birds' strange behavior.

Enson Survival Proficiency Check (DC 1, 3) - (5,3,6,6) 3 Successes

Enson's reading combined with some of his past experience suggest to him that packs of predatory birds this size and this aggressive would indicate a nearby prevalent food source and one so non-threatening that it had built up undue confidence in the raptors.

"Oh dear, I think someone's been feeding them."  He shook his head.  "Or leaving food out for them to find.  In any case they're glutted- and have lost any respect for the bounds of sapient habitation.  Really, I don't know why people do stupid things like that.  'I'm just going to leave some food out for the cute six-hundred pound bear' and the next thing you know there are bears everywhere.  These are dangerous predators, not... leprechauns... or what have you."

"What about a trash dump? Those places have things to eat and it isn't meant to be feeding critters." Aysu couldn't smell trash on the air, but it was pretty cold and her nose wasn't a fan.

"Food usually isn't in surplus in climates this... gnarly," Decker says, tracing a line in the snow with his boot. The snow and wind soon hide the mark.

"I come from the heat, but I feel like the same kinda thing applies. Something is wrong here if those birds were so overstuffed. Food ain't easy pickings."

Decker drummed his fingers on his sheathed pistol. "Unless we wanna cut one of these guys open and see what they've been snacking on, we ought to go see the guides, no?"

1 hour ago, Endgame said:

"Unless we wanna cut one of these guys open and see what they've been snacking on, we ought to go see the guides, no?"

Enson snapped his book shut.  "Quite right." he said.  "If everyone is done here, I think we can move on now."

On 9/8/2021 at 11:27 AM, Duvors said:

"Oh dear, I think someone's been feeding them."  He shook his head.  "Or leaving food out for them to find.  In any case they're glutted- and have lost any respect for the bounds of sapient habitation.  Really, I don't know why people do stupid things like that.  'I'm just going to leave some food out for the cute six-hundred pound bear' and the next thing you know there are bears everywhere.  These are dangerous predators, not... leprechauns... or what have you."

Maybe I am bias here but I rather deal with any bear than some trickster "want to be genie" leprechaun. Their is a bedtime story my dad would tell about the Grizzly-Hoot. Maybe I will tell you about it later I need to remember the whole thing...

18 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

"What about a trash dump? Those places have things to eat and it isn't meant to be feeding critters." Aysu couldn't smell trash on the air, but it was pretty cold and her nose wasn't a fan.

Well good thing I am around... starts to smell around for any food sources. 

1 hour ago, Endgame said:

Decker drummed his fingers on his sheathed pistol. "Unless we wanna cut one of these guys open and see what they've been snacking on, we ought to go see the guides, no?"

31 minutes ago, Duvors said:

Enson snapped his book shut.  "Quite right." he said.  "If everyone is done here, I think we can move on now."

I can cut open one of these Frost Hawk. It shouldn't take too long. Grabs some tools out of her Utility Belt starts the medical procedure. 

1 hour ago, samurai-turtle said:

Maybe I am bias here but I rather deal with any bear than some trickster "want to be genie" leprechaun. Their is a bedtime story my dad would tell about the Grizzly-Hoot. Maybe I will tell you about it later I need to remember the whole thing...

Well good thing I am around... starts to smell around for any food sources. 

I can cut open one of these Frost Hawk. It shouldn't take too long. Grabs some tools out of her Utility Belt starts the medical procedure. 

Polaris Perception Proficiency Check (DC 1) - (3, 2, 5) 1 Success

Polaris does not identify any strongly smelling food sources nearby.

Polaris Medicine Proficiency Check (DC 3) - (1, 2, 3, 5, +1) 2 Success

Cutting open several Frost Hawks, Polaris is unable to identify anything recognizable within their gullets.

2 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Cutting open several Frost Hawks, Polaris is unable to identify anything recognizable within their gullets.

Enson will poke around in the steaming pile of organs to see if there's anything identifiable.

Decker knew he didn't really have any expertise here, but he watched with a combination of interest and... mild disgust.

"Is Heroica work normally this, ah... gutsy?"

"I second the eww." Aysu stepped back. A lifetime of replicator food and ration packs had taken her far from the gorey guts, 

1 hour ago, Duvors said:

Enson will poke around in the steaming pile of organs to see if there's anything identifiable.

Enson Medicine Proficiency Check (DC 3) - (5, 4, 5, 2, 4, +1) 5 Successes

As the Chimeran picks through the innards of the birds, Enson notices small translucent shards resembling crushed scales.

4 hours ago, Endgame said:

"Is Heroica work normally this, ah... gutsy?"

"I would not say so, no, but when needs must...  Excuse me."

Enson gingerly reached into the open gullet and retrieved one of the shards.  Holding it up to the light, he examined it closely.  There wasn't enough left for him to identify, but he had an uneasy suspicion he already knew what it was.  Holding it out to his companions he spoke;  "Miss Polaris, Aysu, can either of you identify this?"

6 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Polaris Perception Proficiency Check (DC 1) - (3, 2, 5) 1 Success

Polaris does not identify any strongly smelling food sources nearby.

Polaris Medicine Proficiency Check (DC 3) - (1, 2, 3, 5, +1) 2 Success

Well, I don't smell anything noticable. 

Standard stuff so far...

4 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Enson Medicine Proficiency Check (DC 3) - (5, 4, 5, 2, 4, +1) 5 Successes

As the Chimeran picks through the innards of the birds, Enson notices small translucent shards resembling crushed scales.

1 hour ago, Duvors said:

Enson gingerly reached into the open gullet and retrieved one of the shards.  Holding it up to the light, he examined it closely.  There wasn't enough left for him to identify, but he had an uneasy suspicion he already knew what it was.  Holding it out to his companions he spoke;  "Miss Polaris, Aysu, can either of you identify this?"

It looks like a fish scale, I think... 

OoC:

@Waterbrick Down I think you might want to double check my proficiencies checks. Because I think I should be getting a +1 (or +2) more in some cases. And since I have the Utility Belt equipped how does the medical and engineering checks get modified? 

Not to sure if this will change anything so far but I thought I should bring it up.

1 hour ago, samurai-turtle said:

OoC:

Hide contents

@Waterbrick Down I think you might want to double check my proficiencies checks. Because I think I should be getting a +1 (or +2) more in some cases. And since I have the Utility Belt equipped how does the medical and engineering checks get modified? 

Not to sure if this will change anything so far but I thought I should bring it up.

MM Note: Everything seems in order. Polaris gets 4 dice for nature checks, 3 dice for perception checks, and 4 dice +1 auto success for medicine checks.

6 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

"I'll take a look I guess." Aysu takes a closer look at what Enson has found

Aysu Nature Proficiency Check (DC 3,5) - (2,4,2,1) 2 Successes

Aysu scratches her head and is also unable to identify the scales.

"Oh well," Enson said, "we can get these analyzed later."  He put the fragment into his pocket.  "Now then, to the guides?"

"Hopefully that display would have impressed them, I mean, we did drop a lot of pests pretty quickly." Aysu slipped her rifle to her back again and walked along with the others.

Decker wrings the frost out of his gloves again, grateful for a chance to return to the warmth. His nose scrunches up at the smell of the stable. Eurgh, not all new sensations were good.

The desert-goer walks over to what was seemingly a house cat in a fluffy parka and reaches out to pet it, not yet realizing what species he may actually be dealing with.

"Hey bud, dealing with the cold okay?"

Aysu stepped into the stable, looking around at the obvious residents and those who had to be their future guides. Carefully approaching the nesting beastie and egg, she smiled and held up a hand tentatively. "Is this one going to be hatching soon?" 

Disgusted and appalled at the display of the other heroes desecrating the remains of the Frost Hawks, he remains quiet and to himself.  Though he is not one to judge others, he disapproves.  But he silently commends Polaris for using the slaughtered birds for food.

Ronin cautiously walks into the stables and dusts the snow off himself.

FRa4548.jpeg
"Uh, hello?  We are heroes from Heroica sent to aid Mervin.  I assume you are the guides he spoke about?"

On 9/11/2021 at 2:51 PM, Peppermint_M said:

Aysu stepped into the stable, looking around at the obvious residents and those who had to be their future guides. Carefully approaching the nesting beastie and egg, she smiled and held up a hand tentatively. "Is this one going to be hatching soon?" 

51431199307_bd2062f397_z.jpg

51431957216_b9c9299e06_t.jpg

“Aye, he should be following his sibling soon. My first bred pair.”

On 9/11/2021 at 1:01 PM, Endgame said:

Decker wrings the frost out of his gloves again, grateful for a chance to return to the warmth. His nose scrunches up at the smell of the stable. Eurgh, not all new sensations were good.

The desert-goer walks over to what was seemingly a house cat in a fluffy parka and reaches out to pet it, not yet realizing what species he may actually be dealing with.

"Hey bud, dealing with the cold okay?"

51431199477_a36b27c751_z.jpg

51431956996_e570848a26_t.jpg

“Oh, I’m doing just fine now, thank you. You look like you’ve been in a bit of a tussle.”

On 9/11/2021 at 3:03 PM, Yzalirk said:

Disgusted and appalled at the display of the other heroes desecrating the remains of the Frost Hawks, he remains quiet and to himself.  Though he is not one to judge others, he disapproves.  But he silently commends Polaris for using the slaughtered birds for food.

Ronin cautiously walks into the stables and dusts the snow off himself.

FRa4548.jpeg
"Uh, hello?  We are heroes from Heroica sent to aid Mervin.  I assume you are the guides he spoke about?"

51432926425_81565f77ef_z.jpg

51432198513_c88798dc60_t.jpg

“That’d be us, if you’ve got the credits that is.”