SNIPE

LEGO 42126 ford f-150 raptor MODs and imrovments

As the 42126 Ford f150 raptor comes out in 1 month I thought I would, in preparation create a topic discussing and showing off some of our MODs for this set.

This is because people are quick to build the set from the instruction booklet, and/or quick to reverse engineer the set or parts of it and so therefore I don't want to have to wait for people to make a thread after I have already built the set because I'll be bored :purrr:

I would like to of course try:

• Building it in dark blue like the prototype,
  • Adding 4wd/AWD
  • Diff locks
  • Gear box with hi/low range and transfer case
  • DNR selector
  • Aesthetic improvements.

Feel free to show your ideas down below!

Regards, Snipe

Edited by SNIPE

4 hours ago, SNIPE said:

Adding 4wd/AWD

I've heard that the front axle geometry isn't wide enough to accommodate both a differential and steering, but I could be wrong.

The two most pressing improvements I'd like to see are a four-speed gearbox and brickbuilt lights.

As for other ideas, I'd also be interested to see this thing turned into trophy truck spec with a long travel rear axle.

Edited by Bartybum

I plan on fitting my high-powered quasi-hobby RC setup into it and taking advantage of a seemingly well-designed suspension and durable, decent-looking bodywork.

I wouldn't MOC a truck that basic, but I find adding power to sets like this makes for a fun toy, if a less fun build.

4WD would definitely be cool to add too, but I think some major compromises would be necessary.

Regarding the lack of space for adding 4wd, yes someone tried it but there was not enough width however there is a way to do it but you have to clamp the cv joints in instead of supporting the axle that goes through the CV joints however this should only be done if you dont want to use the truck for heavy duty work.

For example, like how wthe CLAAS XERION 5000 clamped the cv joint in place which is used to drive the trailers boom arm/claw thingy.

Edited by SNIPE

Another way would be to use 3D printed offset rims, but obviously that’s not an option for many

I have not yet received the 42126 that I have preordered, but I am already working on the improvements. 

First up, is the front wheel drive to incorporate 4x4 into the Raptor. I'm not sure I would characterize LEGO as lazy for not adding this feature; it is possible, relatively non-complex, but requires more parts and a complicated structure. It took me a little time to figure something out that meets my expectations and another lateral brace on the bottom swingarms would be better. Getting the rigidity where I wanted it involved making a lot of changes to the frame, but I think I'm happy with what I have.

A new differential is added to increase final engine speed. This is mounted into a floating ball joint frame. The rigid axle connects via CV joints to the wheel hubs that are original to 42126.

A V8 is added, but is removed to see everything.

51502144452_33b4397c84_b.jpg

I have made a new rear axle that is a little cleaner and follows the suspension movement of the F-150 a little better, and I'll show that once the rear frame is done.

I am at a loss right now for how to add a working steering wheel. The front is crowded now, but I'll see what I can do.

4 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

This is mounted into a floating ball joint frame. The rigid axle connects via CV joints to the wheel hubs that are original to 42126.

This sounds interesting, but I am not sure I fully understand how it works. Is the suspension still independent, but the differential is floating with the axle that is straight, and to follow the up-down movement of the wheel, the axle can tilt because of the ball joint? Can you shoot a picture from the underside maybe?

Yeah, that's what is sounds like to me.

If I understand him correctly, he is using a similar solution to the one I used in my Audi RS6 Avant.

800x1067.jpg

In this image, you can see that the differential is in a ball joint frame, with CV joints directly coming out of it. The wheels, however, are suspended on wishbones (4L black half-beams) so they move normally and remain parallel to the ground, but the ball joint frame rotates to the side when only one wheel is traveling.

IMG_6014

IMG_6016

IMG_6015

IMG_6017

IMG_6019

IMG_6020

IMG_6018

- Head- and taillights built from bricks instead of using stickers

- Front grille built from bricks instead of using stickers

- Changed all visible weird-coloured pieces for black or grey ones

- Improved dashboard

- Added some decorative elements to the engine bay like a fan and a charge air hose

- Filled all holes in the floor

- Filled the gaps in the roof

- Filled the gaps near the wheel arches and near the bonnet

- Thinner B pillars

- Door handles on all doors

- Replaced the yellow shock absorbers with red ones

8 hours ago, SNIPE said:

The technic eyelets are super useful for holding onto CV joints

How would you use that? And what does it have to do with the Raptor? It does not seem to have that part.

On 9/23/2021 at 12:24 AM, 2GodBDGlory said:

In this image, you can see that the differential is in a ball joint frame

Thanks for the image!

@gyenesvi, yes the front differential is held by a frame with balljoint just as @2GodBDGlory shows.

My 42126 is in shipping now, so I should be able to finish this soon. The V8 is placed, the 4x4 drivetrain is working, and all the parts for the bodywork should be easy to connect.

51561364422_1ff5c01d52_b.jpg

The V-8 is in, and fits cleanly.

51562845039_23ae69808f_b.jpg

The rear axle is a little different. It has a little more clearance, and has a more realistic travel motion. Though the travel distance is the same. Also, everytime I have been under a F-150 the drive shaft is noticeable, so that had to be changed too.

I have stared a Studio file, so I'll post instructions for this soon.

Very nice! These additions make the set much more like it "should" have been. Do you think you'd have room to add a central differential lock, as per the real truck?

48 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Very nice! These additions make the set much more like it "should" have been. Do you think you'd have room to add a central differential lock, as per the real truck?

There is room for a center differential lock, but the steering axle or frame will need to be modified. Maybe on V2…

On 10/6/2021 at 9:50 AM, gyenesvi said:

How would you use that? And what does it have to do with the Raptor? It does not seem to have that part.

Thanks for the image!

It's to have a front differential without moving the wheels out more. No the set does not have that part but it doesnt need to have it.

You slide the  old female cv joint thru it instead of supporting thr axle which means moving the wheels outwards more.

7 hours ago, SNIPE said:

It's to have a front differential without moving the wheels out more. No the set does not have that part but it doesnt need to have it.

You slide the  old female cv joint thru it instead of supporting thr axle which means moving the wheels outwards more.

I think I understand, but while this gives the ability to add another CV joint to the half shaft, I wonder if this will make the differential to 20 tooth gear connection to fragile. Have you tired this setup yet?

6 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

I think I understand, but while this gives the ability to add another CV joint to the half shaft, I wonder if this will make the differential to 20 tooth gear connection to fragile. Have you tired this setup yet?

It is only good for low torque applications. So I guess it depends on what you're doing.

You know they always print the stickers bigger than they cut them?! I used some of this to fill unused areas on these cheese slopes :laugh::thumbup:

8qW2O4H.jpg

13 hours ago, Polarlicht said:

You know they always print the stickers bigger than they cut them?! I used some of this to fill unused areas on these cheese slopes :laugh::thumbup:

That looks really good, and is certainly an improvement on the base sticker setup.