Robert8

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 22. Rumors and discussion

3 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

Blue not black. Which is also in S18, isn't it?

But yes, point stands, despite extreme pedantry from me. ;)

Oh, my bad. I have a color blindness, which it’s part of my loss of vision. That’s why I often mistake color for another color. 

But yeah I agree with ya!

On 8/30/2021 at 9:27 PM, Robert8 said:

According to IG, a LEGO Designer hinted a Frog Costume for this series

That would be amazing, hopefully comes with a frog/toad figure with a new mould, which is long overdue!

Is the frog mold outdated though? I think its fine as it is

Let's hear what animal expert @Roebuck has to say on the matter

5 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Is the frog mold outdated though? I think its fine as it is

Let's hear what animal expert @Roebuck has to say on the matter

My theory is that they update the animals when the mould is worn out, so they must make a new one anyway. Most likely it is cheaper to make the same one, but when it comes to animals it seems that they often come to the conclusion it is worth the extra cost to update the mould. From the top of my head the following are not updated among the older animals:

1. foal (was only in two sets, will be updated when it makes a comeback one day however then we need a new farm subtheme or maybe a CMF to do it I think so it may take a while (maybe next years horse transport set if we are really lucky).
  2. Kitten, but we got a adult cat in return
  3. Frog, bat and scorpion, my guess is that they are so often used that they must have worn out the mould at least once by now and that the TLG decided against updating it when that happened.The old spider was fine, but I think the new one looks a lot better so they will probably be able to approve the other small animals as well. From those 4 I would say they would benefit from an update in the following order; spider (done), scorpion (more round shapes like the lobster), bat (more realistic) and frog (less eyes and more legs maybe :shrug_oh_well:). I think the frog is fine as it is and prefer that they use the budget on other animals before the frog at least. The designers love to use it as well in all kinds of builds so that may be another reason why they have not updated it yet :wink:

I really hope we get at least a couple of animals in series 22, a fig with a couple of sheep, maybe a foal (or calf, piglets etc) with one or the new juvenile crocogator with another. Some pigeons would be on high time as well, maybe we get surprised like last time :sweet:

The only reason I want an updated frog and bat is because they look strange without printed eyes.

Especially when put next to animals with printed eyes.

8 minutes ago, Anonknee Muss said:

The only reason I want an updated frog and bat is because they look strange without printed eyes.

Especially when put next to animals with printed eyes.

Valid. The cobra is an odd outlier in this too. Also, the hermit crab and lobster having eyes makes the crab look outdated 🤨

I agree with the eyes issue. I'd love to see an update of the parrot too : the current parrot mold, with holes as eyes, looks so outdated compared to the gorgeous and detailed HP phoenix!

On 9/7/2021 at 8:25 PM, RichardGoring said:

Blue not black. Which is also in S18, isn't it?

But yes, point stands, despite extreme pedantry from me. ;)

It was slightly different. The CMF one had blue hands, the Adidas one has yellow. But otherwise the same.

1 hour ago, Aurore said:

I agree with the eyes issue. I'd love to see an update of the parrot too : the current parrot mold, with holes as eyes, looks so outdated compared to the gorgeous and detailed HP phoenix!

And totally doesn’t fit with the owls, penguin, ostrich, flamingo, gull, eagles or even the small bird. 
I am a wee bit torn, as I genuinely appreciate the sculpted animals without printing, they can be useful in many ways - but Lego has crossed the bridge on this one, and it really needs some consistency for interoperability of the critters. 

4 hours ago, williejm said:

Valid. The cobra is an odd outlier in this too. Also, the hermit crab and lobster having eyes makes the crab look outdated 🤨

I’d forgotten about the crab! Great point.

2 hours ago, Anonknee Muss said:

I’d forgotten about the crab! Great point.

Crab is a little tricky if Lego designers want it to be a bit realistic with printed eyes.

In realistic, its eyes are at the front right around the shell edge (I don’t know how to describe myself).

But yeah, I agree with you and Aurore’s opinions on eyeless animals, they look odd and outdated. I think current fish mold dones’t have printed eyes too? 

6 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

I think current fish mold dones’t have printed eyes too? 

I knew there was more I wasn't able to think of.

23 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Well, it seems this series is going to have 12 minifigures after all

Yeah, definitely a new licensed series would have some new molds. 

I really don’t mind 12 minifigures in Series 22. 

22 minutes ago, User5346 said:

Ugh, not another licensed series. We need a proper series 22 already!

If it’s 12 minifigures in Series 22, I am totally ok with it! I think Series 22 would be released in January 2022.

I am quite excited about that new licensed series. In a recent Q&A interview, Matthew Ashton said his “dream” licensed CMF series is on the way for 2022. Nothing else. I’m super curious about this one. 

1 hour ago, User5346 said:

Ugh, not another licensed series. We need a proper series 22 already!

This is a numbered series, thus not licensed

It's a regular series

1 minute ago, Robert8 said:

It's a regular series

Ok good, I was getting confused with all the “licensed” series rumours. I guess that will be later in the year!

Wait a minute….a frog minfigure is rumored? What if that frog costume guy may be turned out to be Kermit from Muppets?

it would be odd to see TWO frog characters (Frog Costume Guy and Kermit) in same year. 

2 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Wait a minute….a frog minfigure is rumored? What if that frog costume guy may be turned out to be Kermit from Muppets?

it would be odd to see TWO frog characters (Frog Costume Guy and Kermit) in same year. 

Yeah, I think the jury is out still - the hinted ‘frog figure’ could well be Kermit rather than a frog costume. That said, Lego does sometimes double up with things like this - think penguin and penguin costume in Series 16. 

Not to discredit the leakers, I hope they are wrong and we get 16 (nothing personal). If the release is indeed January 1st, then production starts 1st October (always 3 months before release).

6 hours ago, williejm said:

Yeah, I think the jury is out still - the hinted ‘frog figure’ could well be Kermit rather than a frog costume. That said, Lego does sometimes double up with things like this - think penguin and penguin costume in Series 16. 

Agreed. We will find out eventually. 

4 hours ago, Anonknee Muss said:

Not to discredit the leakers, I hope they are wrong and we get 16 (nothing personal). If the release is indeed January 1st, then production starts 1st October (always 3 months before release).

Nothing wrong with getting 16 minfigures! 

Yes, you are correct about the production process. Oh boy I’m too exited about Series 22!

5 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Agreed. We will find out eventually. 

Nothing wrong with getting 16 minfigures! 

Yes, you are correct about the production process. Oh boy I’m too exited about Series 22!

Especially if there’s a frog suit!

Regarding animals molds, the ant piece doesn’t need printed eyes and neither does the new spider mold (2017 I believe) need printed eyes.

About old moulds of the frog, the scorpion and the likes. I think lego will keep the designs just like how they are now because they use them very often for greebles, small statues and other fun building twists. But for the cmf series they also do one-offs. So i wouldn’t be surprised if they make a new frog, only for this series then

A new CMF book will be released with this series, and it comes with an Rockstar exclusive character

LEGO Minifigures 2022LEGO Minifigures 2022