Robert8

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 22. Rumors and discussion

32 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

Is there somewhere in the world that calls foals for pony's? The old foal mould is also called pony on BL *huh*

I have often encountered people mistaking real-life ponies for foals as well (as in "Ooh, is that the horse's baby?" - "No ma'am, the horse is male and younger than his pony friend!").
The old foal mould as well as the new one definitely look like foals in terms of body proportions, but I guess with a little suspension of disbelief it could be seen as a pony...

3 hours ago, Robert8 said:

These seem too j.u.n.i.o.r.i.z.e.d. right? Is it just me??

Not just you! I thought the same thing when I saw the leaflet.
I'm especially disappointed by the forest gnome, I was expecting something less childish. 

But anyways, while there is no minifig I really like as a whole and a few ones I don't care about at all, there are many individual parts in this series I'm very interested in. The two new animals, of course, and the lute, and the pink satchel, and many body parts (oh my, that would sound weird out of context).
I'll probably get a whole box. 

8 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

It’s a futuristic robot, so not sure if it works as a City minifig :tongue:

:laugh: No wonder I did not like it much, another one I can skip then :tongue:

It seems these are out because some has the Racoon Costume already!

She comes with this hairpiece

LEGO Collectible Series 11 Grandma Minifigure - Minifig only Entry -  Walmart.com

Kind of random....

Edited by Robert8

I'm a big fan of costumes minifigures and a chili grower. So I love the chili girl so much, I'll buy a dozen of her... 🌶️

Much like Series 21, my first glance impression is one of being underwhelmed. At a closer glance, I can find more to like in some of the figures, since CMF to me are generally of interest for cool parts to use for other things at a fairly accessible price.

I could write tedious thoughts on each figure, but instead I feel more like some overall pros and cons.

Pros: some useful new moulds, fewer standard City figures that feel like they'd be in a regular set, some useful recolours (pink shoulder bag, dark red beanie, blonde hair, blue forestman cap with dark pink feather), mid legs, figures have a good amount of accessories.

Cons: some figures noticeably lacking prints (mid legs for example), reused accessories with nothing new about them, kiddie-looking facial expressions with no stand-out qualities especially among the humans.

My top three would be the lute player and the two with animals. Good new accessories and useful parts all around, though I wish they'd taken the opportunity to do a print on the mid-legs since those have only come with one universally useful print thus far (Pigsy).

Next would be the three down the right, ok parts but they have some drawbacks.

Moon Knight and purple alien very mild interest, and the remaining four pretty much none whatsoever, though the blonde hair is good.

@Robert8 what you call j.u.n.i.o.r.i.z.e.d I'd call kiddie, especially in the faces, though that's not new with this series. Series 21 and Marvel both had a lot of smiling happy expressions even when they weren't warranted. The graphic style doesn't look simplified to me for the most part, though it is simpler than the Marvel series, which is kind of always the case because they go crazier with detail when they're matching some on-screen reference.

5 hours ago, Robert8 said:Also, the new pieces count is very low. At least from what I can see

The best one is the Moon Warrior

Also, the gender ratio seems to be 5 females vs 7 males, right?

Does seem light on new parts. My gender count is 5 female, 5 male, a robot and and an alien … so that’s parity, I think 

2 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Is there somewhere in the world that calls foals for pony's? The old foal mould is also called pony on BL *huh*

Common names and nomenclature are always fuzzy. Try going to Iceland and pointing out that their horses should be called ponies

32 minutes ago, williejm said:

Does seem light on new parts.

I count 8, same as Series 21. Marvel only has 10, for what it's worth. Looney Tunes had more of course, with 15.

I do wonder if the Minifigures theme gets a budget per year rather than a budget per series. The amount of new moulds and other more expensive things like dual moulded arms or legs is not evenly distributed across the series in any given year. Instead, some series have way more dual moulded parts or more new moulds than others.

Hmm now that i’ve seen them they do not live up to their expectations imho. I like the toucan, i like some parts and i love the alien.

The forest sprite would have been so much better if he wasn’t minifig yellow, but a (light) green version. And why does that mushroom have a face?? I think i like it, but i am not sure yet. 

I think this series has to grow a little on me maybe. It’s a weird series. 

With the exception of the lute player and the two new animals this series is quite a huge disappointment in my opinion. And the two "warrior" figures are not even useful as historical figures

3 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Small horse.

There we go, problem solved. :laugh:

Love the foal, Love that the Trash Panda comes with a bin, The mushroom is cute, The Skater's torso and hair will be good to reuse, I'm pretty sure the Moon Knight will be my favourite.

Anyone know what the red thing that comes with the Hazmat Guy is supposed to be?

18 minutes ago, Killian said:

Anyone know what the red thing that comes with the Hazmat Guy is supposed to be?

It’s not a Hazmat Guy, it’s a robot… constructing robots.

”How perverse!”

1 hour ago, Clone OPatra said:

I count 8, same as Series 21. Marvel only has 10, for what it's worth. Looney Tunes had more of course, with 15.

I do wonder if the Minifigures theme gets a budget per year rather than a budget per series. The amount of new moulds and other more expensive things like dual moulded arms or legs is not evenly distributed across the series in any given year. Instead, some series have way more dual moulded parts or more new moulds than others.

That would make sense. And you’re right, they have to ‘offset’ the mould-heavy moulded head series

FWIW i don’t crave new moulds for new moulds’ sake. Unless they’re animals or hairpieces …

I still feel like the overall quality is down since quite a few series (number of special prints and dual molding) BUT this seems like a step up. More special figs, more unique, less "City like".

The dancer feels weirdly underdetailed. I mean if not for the hairpiece it's only a torso print as far as I can see. This kind of figure would screem for metalic leg and arm side printing. But who knows - maybe the ice skates are new.

I'm especially happy about the dual moled legs from the explorer, raccoon and the blue guitar guy. Great reusability! I've been tempted so often to remove prints of some dual moled legs (which I never tried before) because so many times there's awkward skin tone which makes it useless for most figures.

Also 5 female figs, 4/5 male figs and two which I wouldn't determin (alien + robot). That's the best ratio so far!

1 minute ago, williejm said:

That would make sense. And you’re right, they have to ‘offset’ the mould-heavy moulded head series

FWIW i don’t crave new moulds for new moulds’ sake. Unless they’re animals or hairpieces …

I would even argue that with the recent trend for more diverse hairpieces we are pretty much covered. I think there's enough hairpieces but not enough recolours! I'd be fine if we were to get all the 500 hairpieces of the last years in as many colours as possible, instead of reusing the same 10 always over and over again or making new ones which disappear again!

34 minutes ago, Killian said:

It’s a small robot. Just goggles on feet. I think these two, together with the crash test dummy will look like a nice family. But why doesn’t it have a black hand as well just like that claw. 

The chili pepper looks good of course, but do we need another food costume? Probably. The milk is a fun addition. If you have red cow horns, they will look like peppers. Too bad they don’t have green ones as well. Or do they?

The bard looks neat. Maybe a bit too goofy in his face, but a classic minifig smiley face would do him good. I like that he gets a new lute, but also royal coins. 

The Snow Warrior looks pretty cool i guess. However he looks more like a Ninjago guy, than a fantasy or historical fig. The snowflake emblem design is too cartoony to take it serious. Also, it was the perfect opportunity to give us an actual wolf instead of a husky. 

The girl with foal. A good one. Very useful for the foal. The minifig itself, though just a random city person, looks decent. 

the Skater is what it is. A skater. Good minifg to accompany the female skater. 

the Moon Warrior is also a sort of Ninjago or Nexo Knights character. I like her legs. But why do so many character have a circle of some sorts on their chests? I do like this fig though. 

The Forest Sprite. I don’t like the use of yellow body parts here. They should have gone with a version of green. The walking stick would have been better if it was a flute and if you are going to give mushrooms faces, you should give us at least two of them. Still need him  

The adventurer is weird. A pink bag, what were they thinking? She could have given a more camo appropriate outfit. But the toucan is stunning! Very good new bird!

The Raccoon is underwhelming because of the normal size legs and the tail-piece that doesn’t really work for me. The headpiece looks excellent, so maybe i can score some light grey mid-legs, and make it better to my liking?

The Alien is looking outstanding. I really dig it. He has purple black dualmoulded arms and legs i believe. It would be a really great feature if he has another expression on the other side of the minifig head. But i guess no print will suffice as well. It looks like a closed beak. I want many!

The WheelChair Guy is cool i guess. Not my cup of tea.

12 minutes ago, williejm said:

Neither do I, but without new moulds I get especially disappointed when they reuse parts in existing colours, which I listed as a con with some of this series.

For instance, the green bin with the raccoon - why not blue or red or something else? Bins come in a lot of colours all over the world.

Just now, Clone OPatra said:

Neither do I, but without new moulds I get especially disappointed when they reuse parts in existing colours, which I listed as a con with some of this series.

For instance, the green bin with the raccoon - why not blue or red or something else? Bins come in a lot of colours all over the world.

Agreed. The husky is a point in case. 

Can anyone work out what the alien has on its back?

Also - that wee mushroom face 🥺

I haven’’t checked out the leaked leaflet yet but from what I see here o this thread, it seems Seires 22 si ot that bad but not as good as Series 21 or previous series. 

I’m excited for foal, toucan, Chili Girl, Raccoon Costume, Bard/Piper, “Snow Warrior”, “Moon Warrior”.

I’m a huge fan of food and animal costumes myself as well as animal molds. However, I feel this Series 22 is kinda underwhelmed. The way you describe about parts, it sounds like this series has low budget to me. I mean 2022 will have four CMF Series as I heard some rumors. 

4 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

I haven’’t checked out the leaked leaflet yet but from what I see here o this thread, it seems Seires 22 si ot that bad but not as good as Series 21 or previous series. 

I’m excited for foal, toucan, Chili Girl, Raccoon Costume, Bard/Piper, “Snow Warrior”, “Moon Warrior”.

I’m a huge fan of food and animal costumes myself as well as animal molds. However, I feel this Series 22 is kinda underwhelmed. The way you describe about parts, it sounds like this series has low budget to me. I mean 2022 will have four CMF Series as I heard some rumors. 

I don’t know. I think the thing is that everyone has their own opinions and likes with these series. I wouldn’t go by the comments of others.

knowing what you like, I guess you’ll like four or five figures straight away. The new animals are great. There are some figures with amazing parts - such as the moon knight, snow warrior, jungle explorer and even the girl with the foal, which I’m sure will be better appreciated in real life! And that wheelchair racer figure is actually pretty amazing.

As to the ‘juniorising’ of figures, while I don’t necessarily think it’s that true, I think it also has to be taken in the round. Firstly - we have less ‘normal’ CMFs, so we perhaps expect a lot more from them than is possible, and, clearly, ‘cute’ figures work for kids. Secondly, in the wider world of mire licenced series, there are undoubtedly more very specific, adult, and often ‘less happy’ faces (which Lego is criticised for),so that is also ‘offset’ by some cuter, happier standard CMF figures.

Moon Warrior is like LEGO's version of a World of Warcraft Night Elf , even the purple shield with white moon, and scale/padded armor.

I know it doesn't have elf ears, or the more common purple skin tone, but the idea still seems similar, yet different enough, which isn't a bad thing.

Edited by TeriXeri

59 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Moon Warrior is like LEGO's version of a World of Warcraft Night Elf , even the purple shield with white moon, and scale/padded armor.

I know it doesn't have elf ears, or the more common purple skin tone, but the idea still seems similar, yet different enough, which isn't a bad thing.

Yeah, this was the first thing I thought of when I saw the Moon Warrior, for all the reasons you described. Even the oversized gem on the chest makes me think of WoW armor. Thought the shield looked too Gungan-y but the figure is growing on me quickly, might end up as my favorite.

Bard is amazing too, nice torso/leg prints, blue/black arms, a new color of feather, and the ability to make some blue Forestmen- to say nothing about the new Lute and gold pieces. Love the little pouch on the torso, takes me right back to classic castle.

Little disappointed in the Forest Sprite, but I’ll withhold judgement because I need a better look at his cape.

Purple classic space torso is a nice addition. Wonder which color they’ll make next? 

Edited by gza

Love that bard. Does he seem to be in dark turquoise or some tone of blue? I think it is dark turquoise, but I am unsure. Getting some strong classic forestman vibes from him, especially when comparing him to the red forestman.

cas137.png

Also, what an amazing hat for the forest warrior! I have to admit him and the moon warrior are not exactly what I was hoping for, but they seem like interesting additions nonetheless.

Edited by BrickHat

10 hours ago, Robert8 said:

When a minifigure is meant to be a female, they usually drive the point home with features like waist, breasts, lipstick, etc... Like the Alien Villainess

<IMAGE> 

That was my point - I think that the gender breakdown is 5-5-2, but even if we wanted to force every Minifig to have a binary gender (for some reason?), the colours would (stereotypically) make the breakdown 6-6. I meant that the ratio would be equal (rather than 5-7, male), no matter what. 

6 hours ago, williejm said:

My gender count is 5 female, 5 male, a robot and and an alien … so that’s parity, I think 

This is what I see, as well.