Duq

[MOC] Volvo F12 - 7 wide

I normally post in the Trains forum but this model doesn't really belong there. To populate my train layout with more detailed vehicles I started with a model I remember from my childhood when I built it as an Italeri model: the Volvo F12.

51411660785_28b154456f_c.jpg

Volvo F12 by Duq, on Flickr

My trains are mostly 8 wide so 7 wide seemed a good starting point for a truck. I won't claim it's exactly to scale but it's fairly close. I tried to do as much as possible without stickers but you can't avoid them altogether. At this scale there just isn't a proper way to do the Volvo diagonal without a sticker. The F12 has an airbox on the roof that's very recognisable. I tried various ways to do that with plates and brackets but just couldn't get it small enough so in the end I caved and used two small black stickers.

51410940283_9da0c3560c_c.jpg

Volvo F12 cab by Duq, on Flickr

When I started I wasn't sure if an interior would be possible but I managed. In proper seventies orange of course ;-) Our happy trucker even has a gearshift between the seats. There was no room for a bed in the back though...

51410939628_9d50cdedac_c.jpg

Volvo F12 top by Duq, on Flickr

The drive shaft will probably go mostly unnoticed when it's on display but I'm quite happy with how it worked out. The two bar-clips allowed just the right angle and they look like a universal joint.

Time to pick my second truck...

That is brilliant! :wub:
Unbelievable how many details you were able to build in that tiny scale. Too bad your Volvo is just a bit too small for my trains, I'd love to copy it.

Just the number plate is rather nineties than seventies, I think... :wink:

Edited by Tenderlok

@Duq

Awesome Volvo! Great details and SNOT!
However, as per guidelines, the Scale Modeling forum requires for a model to be built at least in 1:20 scale. Will move this to special themes.

@Milan Sorry, hadn't read the guidelines. As I said I'm in unknown territory here outside the Trains forum ;-)

@Tenderlok Thanks! My Volvo isn't too small, you just build your trains too big :-P

Yellow number plates were introduced in the Netherlands in 1977, the same year as the F12. The sequence is nineties though, you're right. Maybe I should change it to FV-12-RV.

58 minutes ago, Duq said:

@Milan Sorry, hadn't read the guidelines. As I said I'm in unknown territory here outside the Trains forum ;-)

No worries!
Once again, from a fellow truck builder, beautiful model!

Thanks Milan! 

It just seems a bit lost here in this forum... 

If you're a moderator, could you add '[MOC]' to the title? I don't think I can edit the title of the thread.

5 hours ago, Duq said:

Thanks Milan! 

It just seems a bit lost here in this forum... 

If you're a moderator, could you add '[MOC]' to the title? I don't think I can edit the title of the thread.

@Duq  I’m not a mod but I’ve started and changed the names of several discussion topics.  If you click edit on the starting post of the thread, you can edit everything including the title.  I’ve used this to add more tags to discussion topics when new sets are released, but also changed names of threads - the ones I’ve created are now all ‘XYZ - Rumours and Discussion’.  It should be easy - the only possibility of which I’m unsure that could prevent it is if relocation of a thread by a mod impacts what you can do.