Jim

[REVIEW] 42126 - Ford F-150 Raptor

Despite having great looks, it offers nothing new to a lot of other pickups such as Dom's charger alternate (which also looks better).

A real challenge would be a "Mini configuration" car (transversal front engine, front wheel drive) that is the "normal setup" in Europe and Asia since 1980.

The only reason for buying this kit would be to get a supply of orange panels.

After the D11 this set it seems to me a bargain :laugh: but like I do not want more rare colors pieces it will be a not must have set. Thank you for the review and the great work.

20 minutes ago, jorgeopesi said:

After the D11 this set it seems to me a bargain :laugh: but like I do not want more rare colors pieces it will be a not must have set. Thank you for the review and the great work.

I don't think orange is exactly a rare colour anymore, most parts that you would need for exterior are easily available in orange today.

After some checking it appears that among the modern panels only 3x5x3 curved is missing, and among liftarms only 1L and 2L are missing (though 2L is available with axlehole), along with thin 5L and 7L.

13 minutes ago, howitzer said:

I don't think orange is exactly a rare colour anymore, most parts that you would need for exterior are easily available in orange today.

After some checking it appears that among the modern panels only 3x5x3 curved is missing, and among liftarms only 1L and 2L are missing (though 2L is available with axlehole), along with thin 5L and 7L.

All color which I am not going to use is rare for me, I am sorry for explain wrong myself. 

Thank you @Jim for the great review as always, impeccable photography, I really do like the aesthetics of this set, the suspension and new pieces are nice.

Unfortunately I am not going to pay AU$249.99 for a set which is less than $100 in the US, with GST factored in that's still over $100 past the conversion rate! Especially when there so many other great technic sets this year, some of which other retailers are selling at much lower prices.

7 hours ago, jorgeopesi said:

All color which I am not going to use is rare for me, I am sorry for explain wrong myself. 

No problem! It's true that availability is one thing and collecting enough of the parts for it to be actually usable in MOCs is another matter...

Thanks for the great review Jim! I totally agree with your view, the 18+ label, the lack of 4WD and the price makes it really hard to like this set. If it'd be a plain simple Ford F-150 with a 12+ label and a 99 EUR price tag then the whole picture would be different. That still would not make it a particularly interesting set with lots of features though, but at least a playable one for an acceptable price.

About the black background, I still like the end result but yeah it is a challenge for the building shots and sets with black parts. The orange pops on it but the fender flares and the wheels can disappear. Based on my experience it works best if you have a colorful bright model (e.g. the Sián) and you don't want to have a uniform background, that way you can put the model in a spotlight and have a vignetted look fading to black on the sides. 

Thank you for the honest review and pretty pictures Jim. The F150 looks good if we consider it to be an upgraded and polished version of 42029 pickup. But I feel that it lacks the all important 4WD and could use some better tyres.

1 hour ago, kbalage said:

If it'd be a plain simple Ford F-150 with a 12+ label and a 99 EUR price tag then the whole picture would be different. That still would not make it a particularly interesting set with lots of features though, but at least a playable one for an acceptable price.

About the black background, I still like the end result but yeah it is a challenge for the building shots and sets with black parts. The orange pops on it but the fender flares and the wheels can disappear. Based on my experience it works best if you have a colorful bright model (e.g. the Sián) and you don't want to have a uniform background, that way you can put the model in a spotlight and have a vignetted look fading to black on the sides. 

Exactly. The seats' design also seems pretty dull and lazy for an 18+ sets. I thought cough...18+ casual builders...cough like gorgeously detailed seats/interiors than any complexity.[sarcasm]. I also agree about the black background. That is why I at least do not dislike it on Cat D11T's box.

4 hours ago, howitzer said:

No problem! It's true that availability is one thing and collecting enough of the parts for it to be actually usable in MOCs is another matter...

I have this feeling the set will soon have lots of MOCs and some even with RCing it. But yes, it is another matter. The more a sets looks and feels (performance)  well and nice out of the box the better it receives praises. The 42128 is an example I think.

Firstly, what a fantastic in depth review. Extremely informative.

Secondly, what a terrible representation of the Ford Raptor. I had big hopes for this as i own an orange Ford Ranger Wyldtrak and thought that this set would look good sitting in the office. I'm really disappointed at the final model design. If i was to single out the things that annoy me the most i would say the roof and door pillars. Its a shame as i felt TLG made a great job of the Land Rover.

Another great review. 

Nice set, shame about the price, seems to be quite common lately.

Liking the new colored parts, each year we are getting more colors and rare colors of parts, the orange tapered panel was one many wanted to recolor 41999 to build a General Lee iirc.

Thanks @Jim for another great review. I do enjoy your photos, but yeah, the grey backgrounds work a little better. I agree, the price is wrong, but as a US resident, it's not quite as wrong for us. 

I'm not going to go to bat for this set, but I will say I have ordered one, which is becoming increasingly rare for me. I have given up on LEGO having the level of functions I expect from a set post 8069, and the prices keep climbing to a point where I just cannot justify buying sets. Additionally, like every other America, I have some connection to the F-150, so offering this truck is probably not a bad idea. I have close relationships with a 1990 I6 2wd Short Cab, a 2000 4.0L 2wd extended cab, and a 2007 4WD 5.4L extended cab. If only I had the same relationship with the 911...

I am very fond of LEGO 8081, and this set reminds me a lot of it. The size is right, and the bodywork and proportions are correct. And the options for MODing are endless: short cab, SRT, 4x4, V8, B and C Pillars. So I'm looking forward to the build, and for what I will do with it. Also, I seem to have an addiction to Orange sets.

One detail that most people are missing: This is the very first Technic set with 4 doors and seats!

Given the quality of the set, I can't help but think of how bad the collaboration with Ford appears to have been. Did LEGO not show the suits at Ford what the set looks like without stickers? Who at Ford would approve a 2WD version of one of their most iconic 4WD vehicles... and at that price point!?

10 minutes ago, Lasse D said:

One detail that most people are missing: This is the very first Technic set with 4 doors and seats!

This was not lost on me, but I felt a little wrong to bestow the #supersedan accolade on this.

10 hours ago, kbalage said:

I uses lineair adjustment from the top and bottom this time, although post crop vignetting would do the trick nicely. I will post an unedited picture later too show the difference.

4 hours ago, Lasse D said:

The reviewer noticed it, but he wasn't entirely sure about it. Thanks for the confirmation :laugh:

9 hours ago, Qukie said:

Thank you for the honest review and pretty pictures Jim. The F150 looks good if we consider it to be an upgraded and polished version of 42029 pickup. But I feel that it lacks the all important 4WD and could use some better tyres.

Thanks and agreed!

11 hours ago, Interceptor said:

The only good thing about this set is Jim's review, which is perfect as always, thank you for your work.

To be honest, this review wasn't as enjoyable as the previous two. I will try to put more love in the CAT review again :sweet:

On 8/29/2021 at 6:46 PM, Jim said:

I wasn't expecting a very exciting build and so far my expectations are met. 

This is what I'll remember from the review.

For me this is one of the least inspiring sets. The Skid Steer Loader (42116) has more functionality than this.

5 minutes ago, m00se said:

For me this is one of the least inspiring sets. The Skid Steer Loader (42116) has more functionality than this.

Don't forget that it has a B-model as well!

(actually, I'm not gonna trumpet too loudly about that)

Here are some pictures with the box and an unedited version of the raptor. The grease stains (from your fingers) are very annoying on black. 

51408801192_55f4ef6200_b.jpg

51414380405_28ec1ae628_b.jpg

51413396701_d0320934ae_b.jpg

51412652637_f9d04ae35d_b.jpg

51413663283_5ae384b1c9_b.jpg

51413666483_a3a530625c_b.jpg

@Jim i don’t have that steering wheel. Is it a medium size to how between the standard large Technic one and the smaller ones? If so could you do a comparison pic?

50 minutes ago, Seasider said:

@Jim i don’t have that steering wheel. Is it a medium size to how between the standard large Technic one and the smaller ones? If so could you do a comparison pic?

I can provide one, but I have to shoot it. It looks like it's roughly the same size. 

3 hours ago, Seasider said:

It's four modules in diameter. I have one too, so I'll post a photo soon. Jim and I can race to post a photo.

7 minutes ago, Thirdwigg said:

It's four modules in diameter. I have one too, so I'll post a photo soon. Jim and I can race to post a photo.

In this case I will take the back seat hehe. Be my guest, please.

On 8/30/2021 at 4:46 AM, Jim said:

One thing I'd like to address is the price of the set. The set is sold in the US for 99 bucks while it's 139 euro here in Europe.

Jim given this will retail for $279.99 nzd which is $197 usd or $168 euro its quiet a price difference.  Unfortunately the Asia Pacific market not only for exchange rates but also shipping cost. 

On a side note shipping costs have quadrupled in the last twelve months. I normally pay 3k for a container and about 3k for shipping.

It's been a while since purchasing and shipping lego from the states or Europe has been more competitive than buying on my own shores.